main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Force Unleashed: The Multimedia EU Event of '08 (and beyond!)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Jango_Fettish, Feb 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    [face_worried]

2. Corusca_One

Corusca_One Jedi Master star 3

Oct 24, 2005
    I'm not talking about hair dye :p

Its funny, sure JO is considered a superior game to JA, however that is mainly down to game mechanics, and the fact the story itself was not as good. Nothing to do with the fact you made your own character (although Kyle is a much better character than Jaden).

KotOR is a good example of customisation done well, and also its more a case of linearity than customisation. One of the critisisms i have seen leveled at JO's story was that it was impossible to turn dark (unlike JK1 or JKJA) it was more linear. KotOR's success is also an indicator of how much players like to create their own elements to a story, and make their own choices (such as choose dark/light male/female). Its my experience that players prefer sandbox games thesedays rather than being spoon fed a simple story.

What i was highlighting was the fact that at this point there is no indication the player will be able to choose to play as anything other than a male darksided Sith 'Apprentice' and a basic plot to run through, and yes i know there isn't much information out yet, but i'm just making an observation. Personally i'd prefer there to be some form of choice involved in this game.

3. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Thousands of good games have been made without customization. It's only recently I've noticed this big push to have everything up to the player. Pretty soon the games will be sold with a blank on the box and you fill in whatever name you want the game to have.:p

Seriously, though, customization isn't necessary to a good game. In fact, it outright undermines the strength of the story. It might make things a little more fun for gamers, but it's not anywhere near necessary for a good gameplay experience.

It's especially hard when the game needs to work within a continuity like SW, and where the fans have been so rabidly whiny about having any element of those choices solidified into canon. If they can't understand that their personal game can't get put into the Holocron, then better not to give them any choice at all.

4. QuentinGeorge

QuentinGeorge Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 12, 2003
    I'm not going to say this looks teh ridiculous, but....

This game looks ridiculous.

Why, oh why, must we have continually wanked out games involving Jedi and Sith set in the OT period? For pity's sake, KOTOR has shown that games set in other time periods can work, and we have the 1,000 year period of the New Sith Wars basically empty and begging, BEGGING for some sort of rich, immersive game set there.

But no....let's find the Death Star plans and fight on Hoth again!

Yipeeee!!!

5. Mayor_Adam_West

Mayor_Adam_West Jedi Master star 2

Aug 22, 2006
    I don't know. the game doesn't look that bad to me. But you get stronger that Vader and the Emperor? That doesn't sound good.

I wont be buying it, unless they have do PC version. I will get that sweet looking black royal guard figure though, and maybe the damaged Vader.

6. TIEDefenderPilot

TIEDefenderPilot Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 13, 2003
    So are the "clone mod" stormtroopers some sort of anti-Jedi squad or something like that? Because that would be pretty cool.

7. HanSolOKniser3

HanSolOKniser3 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 10, 2003
    I don't like the sound of this at all...
    ...and it's gonna be considered canon?

"I've got a bad feeling about this."

:oops:

8. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    Agreed.

9. Lord_Hydronium

Lord_Hydronium Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 11, 2002
    While I agree with the principle, I'm not sure this particular game is really a good target of that kind of rant. This isn't something in the OT period that's been hashed out up and down, it's Dark Times, a period that's been established but barely explored for almost 30 years. I mean, I want to see things like NSW explored too, but I have to acknowledge that Dark Times has been around a lot longer and is a lot more anticipated. Wondering why they're focusing on this era seems to me like wondering why the time between AOTC and ROTS had so much of a focus on the Clone Wars.

10. darth_Boba

darth_Boba Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 28, 2002
    I'm actually looking forward to this game. Based on the force power preview last year, it looks like it'll have a lot of new and innovative stuff to do with the Force that other games couldn't manage. If the game is fun to play (and cannon-hit force blasts and internally rupturing Rancors sound very fun), then I don't care about continuity. It's not like the real world rips open and destroys itself every time something something doesn't jive in Star Wars land.

11. Mike-Sunrider

Mike-Sunrider Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 4, 2003
    This game is going to be the worst SW game ever if you're going to become stronger than Palps and Vader..

12. Rouge77

Rouge77 Jedi Knight star 5

May 11, 2005
    This game is going to be the worst SW game ever if you're going to become stronger than Palps and Vader..

Not if a)the game is otherwise good and b)they do not make the player character canonically stronger than Sidious or Vader. If there will be a fight in the end between the player character and/or Sidious and Vader, the character has to be powerful. Everything is ok to me as long as that they do not make the character super-powerful outside the game, so that the story is canonical, but the kind of power the character will in the end have will not be.

13. younghansolo

younghansolo Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jun 2, 2002
    This game looks like a lot of fun. But it's stupid plain and simple.

the trailer is on the opening page of theforce.net if anybody hasnt seen it. It carazy! if you could just put your sabre in the ground and kill five stormies, then why didnt ki adi do it?

It in no way fits into continuity and it seems they're going to make a big deal about it as well, adding to the confusion of what canon actualy is nowadays.

oh one other point watch the last guy get thrown about in the trailer it's hillarious, although i'm not sure it is supposed to be?

14. Jango_Fettish

Jango_Fettish Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 17, 2002
    The whole "stronger than Sidious and Vader" thing is pure marketing. If it is true at all. I mean, it seems fairly obvious that Vader is going to kill the playable character at the end, hence his battle damage. I'm sure that will be the ending of the game, Vader killing the guy and washing his hands clean of the whole thing.

15. Froggy22651

Froggy22651 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 31, 2005
    Yeah, that's probably just to grab your attention. If it's literal, though...

Well, it could conceivably work if Vader cloned himself to create an apprentice. Somehow, I doubt that's the case.

Yeah, the plot of the game looks...iffy so far, but hey, at least there will be plenty of mindless Force-using fun to be had with really sweet graphics.

16. patchworkz7

patchworkz7 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 26, 2004
    That trailer looks like gameplay samples and may not be an actual representation of the storyline.

It looks more like it's designed to showcase the mechanics of the game, and it has been around for a while now. I don't know that we've seen a true "trailer" in the sense of "this is what happens in the game" yet.

17. Mayor_Adam_West

Mayor_Adam_West Jedi Master star 2

Aug 22, 2006
    Judging from the video, it looks literal. The character is throwing around stormtroopers like nothing. He has freaking Clone Wars cartoon Force powers. There wouldn't have been an order 66 if the PT jedi had his power.

Perhaps its just for the game and Vader and Palpatines Force abilities are exaggerated like this as well. Either way, the game looks like it could be a lot of fun, but I'm still worried from a continuity standmpoint.

18. Corusca_One

Oct 24, 2005
    Oh i agree, i mean Zelda is a prime example of an amazing linear game, and as you say there are lots of others. I have just found that were star wars is concered their linear games have not always been amazing, saying that i did enjoy Rep Com though.

As to whether having 'incredible' force powers will make this game worth player - its possible, but the video itself dosn't prove anything, afterall the original video for the Episode III game wasn't too bad, and showed some impressive force powers, yet that game was far from perfect (far.)

I expect we'll hear a lot more about this in the coming months - there is C4 and E3 coming up afterall. Maybe new information will help sort out some of the doubts some of us have about the game. Speculation at this point is almost pointless.

19. mxcp204

mxcp204 Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 13, 2006
    Probably has somthing to do with Courascant nights!

20. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Wouldn't it be hilarious if it turned out your character's name was Ferus Olin?

21. Corax

Corax Jedi Youngling

Aug 24, 2006
    Or a flow-walking Jacen Solo?!? I'm kinda serious with this....

22. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    You guys are really ridiculous. Remember, GL is going to be involved heavily with this video game. Now I understand why, Sansweet stated back in 2004, that the televison medium was going to be the big thing for Star Wars. Like the Emperor said, "Only now at the end, do you understand!" This year, yeah we have all the comic books and the novels, and probably the 30 year anniversary dvd collection. But, this year, it will be GL's video game,next year the 3-d clone wars, and then the live action. What this means is that George Lucas is supervising all this stuff. It's not being supervised by LeeLand Chee, Colman, Strandley, Traviss, Genndy, etc. But GL. The story content is approved by the man, meaning that the 6 movies will have top priority, folowed by the animation, live action series, and this video game. It looks like GL is going to create his own EU. [face_laugh] So much for you die hard fans[face_laugh]

23. Ganner_The_Hero

Ganner_The_Hero Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 14, 2003
    If you're on Vader's side, why are you going to maim, burn & kill clones/stormies? :p

I mean, come on, it's not like they've created those cool new troopers to fight alongside you ;)

24. Rouge77

Rouge77 Jedi Knight star 5

May 11, 2005
    Wouldn't it be hilarious if it turned out your character's name was Ferus Olin?

No, it would be a good thing really: Ferus would die and this post-ROTS stuff about him would get referenced in another SW product. But it is almost certainly not going to happen. Using a suitable previously existing character seems to be a sin in the franchise - it seems always better to create a new one. And especially when we are talking a character from a "juvenile" book... Of course, does the LotJ series even end before the game goes out?

25. Corusca_One

Oct 24, 2005
    Thats something i have been wondering about. [face_thinking]

I suppose you might have to kill them if the player character turns against the Emperor or Vader at some point or visa versa.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.