main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Force

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by lord_eidolon, Mar 1, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lord_eidolon

lord_eidolon Jedi Grand Master star 3

Feb 2, 2004
    The Force. An Omnipresent, Eternal, Boundless, and Immutable PRINCIPLE on which all speculation is impossible, since it transcends the power of human conception and could only be dwarfed by any human expression or similitude.

This eternal principle is in and is every thing and being; it periodically and eternally manifests itself and recedes again from manifestation. In this ebb and flow evolution proceeds and itself is the progress of the manifestation. The perceived universe is the manifestation of this Force, including Light and Dark, spirit and matter. Those are but the two opposite poles of the one Force.

2. Scott3eyez

Scott3eyez Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 1, 2001
    I'm not sure whether to reply, since speculation about the Force is impossible...

;)

3. DarthNigel

DarthNigel Jedi Master star 3

Jul 14, 2003
    It sounds nice, but I have some points of divergence:

1. Is the Force a principle? I understand the word "principle" to mean an idea or concept, or a rule, something that can be articulated. The Force, as defined in the films, is "an energy field created by all living things" (Kenobi-ANH)

2. Is the Force eternal? Since time has two directions, you can understand eternality in either direction. Has the Force always existed? Well, if life creates the Force, then that implies that if there was ever a time before life existed, then the Force does not exist. Going into the future, will the Force always exist? This also depends on whether life will always exist. The statement that life creates the Force (Kenobi-ANH and Yoda-ESB) implies that the Force's existence is contingent on the existence of life, and thus I think it's problematic to say that eternality is an inherent characteristic of the Force. I guess the same probably goes for being boundless and omnipresent.

3. Is the Force immutable? Again, to the films: Luke-"You mean it [the Force] controls your actions?" Obi-Wan-"Partially, but it also obeys your commands". (I guess it's open to debate whether the Force itself can be manipulated, or whether beings simply manipulate other beings and objects using the Force.) Also, the Force flows, which connotes a sense of constant movement and change, not immutability.

4. Is the perceived world the manifestation of the Force? This boils down to, does the Force create life, or does life create the Force? The films say that life creates the Force, which makes the proposition that the universe is the manifestation of the Force a little problematic.

5. Finally, as has been discussed in several other threads, I do not believe that the Force itself has a dual light/dark nature. Rather, I believe that the Force is capable of being manipulated by talented beings, and that the "Dark Side" of the Force is a metaphor for what happens when a being becomes addicted to using the Force without restraint to serve their own selfish desires, such as lust, greed, and thirst for power.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.