main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

the force

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by steverodgers801, Apr 14, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. steverodgers801

steverodgers801 Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 12, 2005
    I was theorizing that the force not only tells a user whats happening, but it may also reflect the populace as a whole. Maybe the reason the dark side is growing is because enough people are becoming bad. Palpatine talks about the Senate being a bunch of squabling self centered beings. I believe that by stirring up the bad side in people, palpatine is making the dark side stronger and that is why the jedi are losing connection to the force

2. ObiWan506

ObiWan506 Former Head Admin star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 5, 2003
    So human emotions and actions dictate the Force and how it is used and controlled?

Like Ghostbusters II with the slime? :p

3. Mabry_Ryjac

Mabry_Ryjac Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 15, 2002
    Could be. I've always wondered why the Jedi have so much trouble recognizing evil intentions in others. Although maybe it's a case of 'it takes one to know one.'

4. steverodgers801

Apr 12, 2005
    not so much dictate but influence

5. AlrikFassbauer

AlrikFassbauer Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 2, 2003
  6. Buck_Skywalker

Buck_Skywalker Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 10, 2002
    This thread makes me wonder...

if the Jedi have special powers, doesn't it seem like they may have some type of "followers"?

Put it this way, if there was someone in our society who could levitate, read minds, have super human strength or speed, etc, then there would be those in our culture that would follow them as some sort of "god" or religious symbol. Their acts would be looked at as "miracles".

Perhaps this does not happen in the SW universe because the people living there are use to Jedi powers and know what causes these powers (midichlorians).

Just a thought.

7. D_Lowe

D_Lowe Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 15, 2002
    Maybe something in these quotes will help.

"As evil begins to take over, it pushes the Force out of balance. It's easier to succumb to evil than it is to be a hero and try to work things through on the good side. Evil is inherently more powerful?it doesn't have the burden of worrying about other people. What Luke sees in Darth Vader at the end of ROTJ is something that I thought was worth understanding: the idea that Darth actually was a very good person. Except he's slightly more powerful than other people and when you get into that situation, your ability to do evil is much easier to come by."
    --George Lucas

"Hard to see the Dark Side is."
    --Master Yoda in TPM

"The Dark Side Clouds everything."
    --Master Yoda in AOTC

"The Dark Side of the Force has clouded their vision my friend."
    --Count Dooku in AOTC

8. One-with-the-Force

One-with-the-Force Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 16, 2002
    I disagree with this completely.

You can't say that the Senate and the general populace became evil and shifted the balance of the force with their actions. They're all under the influence of Palpatine, the Dark Lord of the Sith, and possibly the most devious and manipulative person ever to come along in the history of the SW universe. Just the fact that he is finally exerting his power is enough to tip the balance of good vs. evil. The dark side was always there, but after carefully planning their takeover, the Sith took the offensive and clouded the perfect light side Force bubble that the galaxy had always enjoyed.

Another huge reason the dark side was strengthened as the 'Dark Times' began is simply because so many Jedi were wiped out. Just think about those hundreds of beings who served the light-side as a way of life. All of them were eradicated with hatred and the power of the dark side.

The Unifying Force always had a will of its own and it dictated the flow of power in the galaxy. If there was dark shift, the people went with it. The average people like politicians did not influence the force or taint it. The force was already tainted and they were a reflection of it.

9. steverodgers801

Apr 12, 2005
    What I mean is the force also reacts to people, when i say evil it doesnt mean as the sith are but also what palpatine was talking about to amidalia in PM. "there is no more civility... greed and self interest have overcome the common good." The sith have been around for a thousand years what is it that makes the force start to turn to the darkside before the jedi are wiped out? I believe that Palpatine has been slowly corrupting and secretly influncing more then just the trade federation, he has to have had a lot of support to be nominated for supreme chancellor much less elected.

10. One-with-the-Force

Jul 16, 2002
    Yeah, I'm on the same page as you about that part. Palpatine obviously did influence the senators before and during The Phantom Menace. The general majority did become too greedy and started caring more about their political position rather than doing the right thing.

My point is that this had no effect on the force. The reason the darkside emerged and clouded the Jedi's judgement is because Sidious and Maul finally stopped hiding and started their snake-like attack to crumble the Republic. The dark side of the force always revolved around those two ("Always two there are") and when they took action, the dark side opened up to the galaxy.

11. steverodgers801

Apr 12, 2005
    but if life creates the force then it stands that the force can be influenced also by life. I believe that the power of the darkside grows because a person can will it. a jedi can feed off either side why not people even though they may not be influenced in the same way

12. One-with-the-Force

Jul 16, 2002
    Well, it depends on how strong in the force a person is. As Qui-Gon explained in The Phantom Menace, Jedi all have a certain number of midichlorians, the force-aware genetic part of your body that speaks to you. Your midichlorian count determines how strong you are with the force. While it's possible that the Senators had decent midichlorian counts, I doubt they even come close to that of Darth Sidious and Darth Vader, two beings that manipulate the force to a degree where their presence alone is enough to taint the galaxy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.