main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Forces of Light and the Dark Masters

Discussion in 'Archive: Fan Sites' started by Rainbow Knight Star, Mar 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Trika_Kenobi

Trika_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 4, 1999
    I login occasionally and cruise around to see what you folks are up to around there. I'll admit I don't stop by as often as I used to because of other commitments, but I'm still lurking about just to keep an eye out for neat stuff. :)

2. Jedi Gunny

Jedi Gunny Chosen One star 9

May 20, 2008
    Well, lurking is better than nothing. :p

3. Rainbow Knight Star

Rainbow Knight Star Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 18, 2005
    I would like to have two moderators instead of just one, but Gunny is doing a fantastic job as the Lone Moderator.
    :D

The name of the message board is, "The Forces of Light and the Dark Masters."

The games, such as the "Star Wars ABC Game, The Non Star Wars ABC Game and One Smiley to Describe your Mood stay very active. I need to post some new polls.

There are some character fanclub threads in the "Star Wars Avenue" forum. Yes, there is even a "Chewbacca and Han Solo Fanclub" thread.

I would like to see our EUC forum become more active, as well as the Prequils and Classic Trilogy forums.

In the "Star Wars Reading Room" forum, the most active topic is the "Darth Bane: Path of Destruction" thread.
    More topics are coming soon to that forum.

4. Trika_Kenobi

Nov 4, 1999
    I just cruised through the forums again, and I may have a suggestion for you. I think your boards would benefit from some consolidation... combining some boards together to make bigger forums. Your television and movies, and sports and school, and community. Easily, all of those can fit into a single board and bulk it up a bit. Spreading out boards without consistently heavy traffic to support it at this point seems overwhelming and makes them seem more barren than they are.

Having a board for your Jedi, your Sith, and your Star Wars stuff is cool. Add in community and writing/RPG as separate boards, and you're good to go! Let traffic dictate when to expand boards as needed. You'll probably find it more rewarding to watch the pages of threads start to accumulate instead of remain thin and wanting. :)

Just a suggestion from someone who's done it! Glad to hear your boards are growing, though! :)

5. Jedi Gunny

May 20, 2008
    Yeah, those forums probably could be made into a community forum.

6. Rainbow Knight Star

Apr 18, 2005
    Hmm, I'm not sure about that one, but I'll think about it.

[face_thinking]

Thanks for the suggestion, Trika.

:)

7. Rainbow Knight Star

Apr 18, 2005
    The forums keep growing. The spambot problem is solved, and things are back on track. I deleted some empty forums, and moved topics to other forums.
    For example, I deleted the "Forces Tube Territory" forum, and moved all of its topics to "Forces Theatre."
    I deleted the "School talk" and "College Conversations" forums, and moved all topics to "Your Forces Community."

8. Trika_Kenobi

Nov 4, 1999
    Hey! That cleaned up rather nicely! Great work! Does nemisis have a way to do categories in StormBoards? Since it's based on phpBB3, there should be a way you could collect some of those boards into categories, which would make things a lot easier to find on your site.

For instance, maybe having a category for the actual Jedi and Sith stuff, including the dueling stuff or whatever, would be nice, and then another one for Star Wars boards (small screen, discussion, and senate stuff). Starting to separate them a bit more will make finding a particular board easier and group them logically so that interested visitors could find similar boards they'd like. That make a little sense?

It's looking really good, though... great work! :)

9. Rainbow Knight Star

Apr 18, 2005
    There are no categories on Stormboards. I wish there were were for the sake of organization. Thanks for the complement.

[face_dancing]

10. Kev-Mas_Colcha

Kev-Mas_Colcha Force Ghost star 5

Dec 15, 2002
    Actually, that's not true. There are indeed categories on Stormboards - I should know, I'm one of Nemisis' developers. :p

To make a category, you do as you would to make a normal forum, but for Forum Type, you select Category in that Dropdown box. Then, to assign forums to that category, you go to edit them, and select the Category, or even other Forum you want it to be inside in the dropdown box in the heading of Parent Forum.

You can even have almost infinite forums inside one another, inside of a category as well - though I recommend you keep the number of sub-forum levels small.

If you need an extra Nemisis like Stormboards developer person helping out, I'm more than willing to lend a hand.

11. Rainbow Knight Star

Apr 18, 2005
    Yes, please, Kev! Come on over and register. Thanks for the offer.

12. Rainbow Knight Star

Apr 18, 2005
    There is now a Grey Jedi order on the forums, and Kev-Mas Colcha is the founder. I would like to invite all Grey Jedi over to join.
    I still need students for my Jedi order, so anyone wishing to become a Jedi, or any Jedi wishing to receive further training, I invite you to come and join The Forces of Light Jedi Order.

Newly registered accounts no longer have to be approved by an admin.
    Speaking of admins, Kev is our newest staff member, and he is doing a great Job. Thanks Kev for all you've done on Forces so far.

There is a new thread in the "Choice and fun Street" forum to prevent rivals from spamming up one another's territories. The game does not give the players the right to go against any of the board guidelines, but it does allow them the freedom to take their frustrations out on each other in an In Game and fun way.
    It's called, "The Jedi and Sith Harassment Game."
    I could use some Jedi to assist me in the thread. The Sith are ganging up on me.
    [face_laugh]
    It is so much fun insulting the Sith.
    [face_mischief]
    Any and all Jedi, come join the game, and let's have fun beating up on the Sith.
    :D

In the "Welcome" Forum, there is a "Hugs and Codfish" thread. That is also an awesome place to visit.

13. Jedi Gunny

May 20, 2008
    I popped into the "Harassment" thread once. :p

14. Trika_Kenobi

Nov 4, 1999
    I see Kev's got the categories up and running... it's definitely a more organized feel for the boards. :)

15. Kev-Mas_Colcha

Dec 15, 2002
    Actually, the categories were there before I was registered. It seems that prj1 has gotten the hang of it.

However, I did make a custom profile field that is required upon registration that has effectively killed off Spam account registrations, at 100% effectiveness so far, and I deleted all existing Spam accounts as well. I didn't even have to IP ban them, and they still don't come back.

16. Trika_Kenobi

Nov 4, 1999
    Ahhh... she was a woman on a mission, then! :cool: Great work, prj1! :)

EDIT: As for that spam-prevention measure, I just checked it out. That's actually a really great idea. The Nest has had a few spam accounts register, but nothing really crazy. I'll have to remember that if I get frustrated in the future. :p

17. Rainbow Knight Star

Apr 18, 2005
    I have a good teacher. Kev gives directions well.
    I hope to learn more things about the boards from him.

18. Kev-Mas_Colcha

Dec 15, 2002
    Now all I need to do is find a way to contact nemisis so I can get new styles for the boards that I make added, and then everything should be set for a while.

19. Trika_Kenobi

Nov 4, 1999
    nemisis needs to come back here and hang out. And I definitely want to see those styles, Kev, so pester him until he makes it happen. :p

20. Rainbow Knight Star

Apr 18, 2005
    RL is making trouble for Nem. That's why I promoted Darth Cadaverous to Admin. I had no idea Kev knew anything about Stormboards until he said so a few days ago in this thread.
    I look forward to Kev's new styles being added soon.

21. Rainbow Knight Star

Apr 18, 2005
    The Sith are having lots of fun in their order, but no Jedi initiates have entered my temple for training just yet. I have ten tasks posted in the "Training Area" thread of the "Jedi Temple" forum just waiting to be completed.

We do not go by the usual Jedi code. This is our code for our order.

Emotion, yet peace.

Passion; yet serenity.

Chaos; yet harmony.

Death; yet the Force.

Jedi are the guardians of peace in the the galaxy.

Jedi use their powers to defend and protect, never to attack.

Jedi respect all life in any form.

Jedi serve others, rather than ruling over them, for the good of the galaxy.

Jedi seek to improve themselves through knowledge and training.

Just a little more details for you. Come join, and I promise you a fun experience as you work up the ranks.

An RPG is also getting ready to start. We could use lots of players on both sides. Gre and Dark Jedi, as well as non Force users are welcomed in the game too.

For those who have already posted your sheets, the title of the thread is about to be changed, so that it will serve as a character sheet thread. I will start another thread for the game.

22. Jedi Gunny

May 20, 2008
    Well, we've hit a slow patch on the site, probably due to summer coming up and school hammering people. Hopefully this activity drought will end quickly.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.