main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Force's portrayal worsens with each movie.

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Binary_Sunset, Oct 28, 2000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Binary_Sunset

Binary_Sunset Force Ghost star 5

Oct 28, 2000
    Emperor Billy Bob, thanks for the kind words about my thread.

2. Binary_Sunset

Oct 28, 2000
    DeJade Vu, I am glad that you share my love for the 1977 SW film.

I must agree with you that ESB is a beautifully-made film. I simply do not think it functions well as a sequel to the original SW. Considered on its own, it is one of the best movies ever. Considered as a sequel, it is not good because it does not share the facts or the feeling of the original. ESB has a magic all its own, but it is a different magic than the deeper magic of the 1977 SW.

Splinter of the Mind's Eye is not as good as ESB considered in and of itself. But, considered as a sequel, SotME works better than does ESB. I have a great many problems with SotME, but it still is closer in spirit to the 1977 SW film than is ESB.

3. Binary_Sunset

Oct 28, 2000
    Ninjapheret, Star Wars was defined by the 1977 film. Anything that does not harmonize with that is not living up to the name of Star Wars.

You, of course, are right that the vast majority of stuff with the SW label does not harmonize with my interpretation of the 1977 film.

4. Binary_Sunset

Oct 28, 2000
    Lanky, that is interesting. The more I think about it, though, the more I wish that the 1977 SW film had simply been left as a stand-alone film: no prequels, sequels, or EU.

5. Binary_Sunset

Oct 28, 2000
    Esplin9466, I am quite impressed that you have read the entire thread. Thank you for your kind words and for your recognition that the original SW film is unique.

I have read and enjoyed the Han Solo Adventures by Brian Daley. They capture the characters of Han and Chewbacca perfectly. I have not read the series by A. C. Crispin.

Thank you once again for your kind words.

6. SomeRandomNerd

SomeRandomNerd Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 1999
    >>>In TPM, Qui-Gon actually GETS tired! A Jedi! Jedi do not get tired. Their ally is the force! As long as they can call on it, it will be their strength and will renew their strength.

So why did Yoda and Anakin die in ROTJ, when they had the Force to call on to renew their strength?
    Why did Yoda look tired after lifting the x-wing in ESB?
    Why was Yoda always hobbling around in the OT, when he could have used the same Force powers he taught Luke to walk around unaided all the time?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.