The Formula - Released

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by NickLong, Jun 1, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: AdamBertocci
  1. JEDIBYKNIGHT Jedi Master

star 4
    Anyone ever see it on Kazaa?

Eh eh, someone had begun downloading the files from me, and I got a message from the guy asking me if it was related to Formula 1 racing.
    I said 'no, it's a comedy', and he went 'oh, alright'. Download aborted. :(

Next time I'll say "yeah, it's a SW fanfilm / comedy all taking place in Formula 1's". ;)
  2. Mugwump Jedi Knight

star 2
    hey, if you're on Kazaa any time soon, I'd like to try my hand at d/ling it from you :)

-Mugwump
  3. JEDIBYKNIGHT Jedi Master

star 4
    Well I don't like to stay on Kazaa for long, because it slows down my connection and system...

But if you have AIM, I could send it to you...

BTW, if any of the guys I already sent it to are reading this... How did you like the movie ?
  4. BarryOTP Jedi Knight

star 1
    Still love it. Just checking in with that. The thing that really gets me is the truth in it all, I almost gave up on my film (no not fanfilm, film) and the Formula really helped me to get back to the whole reason I was doing this. Also, it gave me new faith in independent digital film. Between you and Chad Peter's upcoming "Drugs", I'd say that we can safely say that this new medium of filmmaking will be around to stay and thats really for the better.
  5. darth_paul Force Ghost

star 5
    I still haven't seen it, but how's this for devotion?

[image=http://www.wvnet.edu/~bla00221/formulad.jpg]

That is a real screen shot. It has not been doctored in anyway. It is from my computer. It reflects download speeds I sometimes have.

-Paul
  6. WhisperingDeath Jedi Master

star 4
  7. Bastion Jedi Knight

star 2
    Ummm...that would be GetRight. [face_plain]
  8. Ryan_W VIP

VIP
    star 4
  9. Mugwump Jedi Knight

star 2
    I feel your pain man!! I WAS getting the same thing for a while...

but then...

MYUHAHAHAHAH!!!! 93%!!!!

WOOOOHOOOO!!!

Super secret normal guy by day, jedi by night sort of power thingy.

(heee heee heee)

-Mugwump
  10. JEDIBYKNIGHT Jedi Master

star 4
  11. Mugwump Jedi Knight

star 2
    WOOHOO!!
    That is the sound of me watching The formula.

I LOVED this film!! It was well written and well structured. Not flawless- infact the lighting could have been a whole lot better. Not to mention white balance. BUT everything that's good about it drowns out the bad.

The biggest acomplishment is that you use the whole hour to your advantage! There is not a dull moment, so the film's pace is perfect.

A couple of quick things : I think the opening credits could have been a little bit more entertaining. Maybe with some footage playing in the background.

Other than that, WAY TO GO!! This film has probably one of the best acting jobs out there. I would be more then happy to pay for a DVD.

-Mugwump

12. BarryOTP Jedi Knight

star 1
    Actually if for nothing else the credits worked really well because of the Reel Big Fish song, good choice in music.
  13. QUI_TIN_TARANTINO Jedi Knight

star 3
    just started downloading it now(1.5k/sec)i want broadband.should be able to watch it in about a week or so,but hey it'll be worth it.down to 0.60k/sec and falling this is gonna take forever.a bit like when i downloaded DARKSIDE.
  14. WhisperingDeath Jedi Master

star 4
    oh my! That was one of the best fan films released ever. The film touched so many real life buttons I had to pause it many times because I was inspired to do work on my own film.

And that matrix takoff fight scene, oh my I couldn't stop laughing!

Excelent job guys!

If anyone needs it my aim is Wh1spering Death, It will take hours but is faster than TFN.
  15. KillerBobBarker Jedi Knight

star 1
    JEDIBYKNIGHT - could you send it to me via AIM? tfn link is not working, and I've wanted to see it for a long time.

By the way, my AIM name is KillerBobBarker (if you could not guess).
  16. Janz_Walker Jedi Master

star 4
    Dare I resurrect this old thing again?

Oh yes.

I dare. These are just some reflections of this film. Bear with me cause it's late at night, and I either tend to get very deep or just ramble on. Your choice. ;)

I just wanted to post here about something that I think has been overlooked, the very reason why this is such a successful "short" film.

In my opinion this film is not successful because everything was wrapped up in one neat little package, ending with (paraphrased) "If you're not making your film for fun, why are you even making it?" It was successful because this film was a metaphor for our very existence without, I think, the actors and director(s?) even realizing it. In fact, is not every great film a metaphor for life in some way? Think about it. Every great story touches you in some way. Its hard to describe. Great stories bring out emotions that were buried deep down, or bring out some profound truth in a way that makes you accept it without even trying to resist.

Yes, camera angles, fight choreography, good acting, emotion, preproduction and planning and many other things contribute to a good film. And superior to those is having a good story and bringing that story out. But beyond all of that is something that cannot easily be put down on paper or planned. It is something that must be blended almost perfectly with everything mentioned above and more. And that thing is touching on one or more of the very basic of human needs.

The Formula touched on the need to control one's surroundings. For months Tom tried to get everything perfect and tried to control every single detail of his film. When he realized that it was beyond him to change the things he could not change, he made the best of his situation and ended up with a pretty good result. It wasn't the best, but it was better than if he followed his old ways. Does this not relate to our attempts to try to control our lives and what happens to us? We try and try to change things that we can't. The Formula tells us that we should accept the things that we can't change, have the courage to change the things that we can, and possess the knowledge to know the difference.

This is one thing that most of the fan films, short films, and yes even feature films don't have. The Formula brought this truth to our attention and it hit home. And mostly because of a scene that was entirely rewritten on the day that it was shot.

This wasn't planned. In fact I don't think the Digital Llama crew even realized what they had on their hands until the premiere of the film when they received a standing ovation. That wasn't an easy audience. Your film was just good.

The Formula is an emotional metatheater. Its truth is that one cannot control everything, and it was good because that truth came through uncontrolled and for the most part unintended.

The formula of a good story is that there is no formula that you can control. Good films are not planned to be good from the start. They just happen. If you're like me you see that they happen through "coincidences" and "accidents" that we can't control ourselves. And yet perhaps, Someone Else does.

Chris Janz Walker
  17. Janz_Walker Jedi Master

star 4
    Dare I resurrect this old thing again?

Oh yes.

I dare. These are just some reflections of this film. Bear with me cause it's late at night, and I either tend to get very deep or just ramble on. Your choice. ;)

I just wanted to post here about something that I think has been overlooked, the very reason why this is such a successful "short" film.

In my opinion this film is not successful because everything was wrapped up in one neat little package, ending with (paraphrased) "If you're not making your film for fun, why are you even making it?" It was successful because this film was a metaphor for our very existence without, I think, the actors and director(s?) even realizing it. In fact, is not every great film a metaphor for life in some way? Think about it. Every great story touches you in some way. Its hard to describe. Great stories bring out emotions that were buried deep down, or bring out some profound truth in a way that makes you accept it without even trying to resist.

Yes, camera angles, fight choreography, good acting, emotion, preproduction and planning and many other things contribute to a good film. And superior to those is having a good story and bringing that story out. But beyond all of that is something that cannot easily be put down on paper or planned. It is something that must be blended almost perfectly with everything mentioned above and more. And that thing is touching on one or more of the very basic of human needs.

The Formula touched on the need to control one's surroundings. For months Tom tried to get everything perfect and tried to control every single detail of his film. When he realized that it was beyond him to change the things he could not change, he made the best of his situation and ended up with a pretty good result. It wasn't the best, but it was better than if he followed his old ways. Does this not relate to our attempts to try to control our lives and what happens to us? We try and try to change things that we can't. The Formula tells us that we should accept the things that we can't change, have the courage to change the things that we can, and possess the knowledge to know the difference.

This is one thing that most of the fan films, short films, and yes even feature films don't have. The Formula brought this truth to our attention and it hit home. And mostly because of a scene that was entirely rewritten on the day that it was shot.

This wasn't planned. In fact I don't think the Digital Llama crew even realized what they had on their hands until the premiere of the film when they received a standing ovation. That wasn't an easy audience. Your film was just good.

The Formula is an emotional metatheater, a picture-within-a-picture. Its truth is that one cannot control everything, and it was good because that truth came through uncontrolled and for the most part unintended.

The formula of a good story is that there is no formula that you can control. Good films are not planned to be good from the start. They just happen. If you're like me you see that they happen through "coincidences" and "accidents" that we can't control ourselves. And yet perhaps, Someone Else does.

Chris Janz Walker
  18. Janz_Walker Jedi Master

star 4
    I apologize for the double post. Snowboards isn't letting me edit my first one to get rid of it. Kind ruins the 'profound' effect. :(

Chris
  19. guruguy Jedi Knight

star 1
    Don't worry, still VERY profound. :)

I agree with quite a bit of what you say. I agree that the Formula was an excellent film. The acting was in my opinion the best I have seen on TFN. It also had an exceptional story that was paced well and made me care about the characters.

I'm not so sure I completely agree with the "coincidences and accidents" part. This almost sounds as if it is random. I think that there is probably an element of the uncontrollable in every film and sometimes that element will pleasently surprise us or disappoint us. Isn't part of making a good film limiting the uncontrollable things as much as possible in order to produce a film of the quality that you desire?

I'm sure you didn't mean to say that the makers of the formula "lucked out" in any way as your post shows your strong appreciation of the film. I am of the opinion that the quality of the film is a reflection of their skill and their minimization of the "uncontrollable".

(IMHO) :D
  20. Janz_Walker Jedi Master

star 4
    Yes you're right about that as well. To some extent you can control the quality by bringing out the story and many of the things I mentioned above. But it also stems from a healthy amount of things that are variables. Will the audiences enjoy the story? You can't know that until they've seen it. :)
  21. QUI_TIN_TARANTINO Jedi Knight

star 3
    i've been downloading,this film for 3 days now,got 54mb so far(25%)download has resumed 147 times.
    i thought it would take a few days but i'll be lucky if i get to see this next week at this rate.
    why oh why haven't i got broadband.56k modem i hate you with a passion.
  22. Janz_Walker Jedi Master

star 4
    If it helps, the broadband people are in the same barrel. TFN's sponsor put a bandwidth cap on the downloads.

Chris
  23. QUI_TIN_TARANTINO Jedi Knight

star 3
    well i feel a bit better now,not much but hey what can you do almost up to 58mb(27%)162 resumes
  24. QUI_TIN_TARANTINO Jedi Knight

star 3
    4 days 217 resumes nearly 78mb(36%)
    aaaaaaaaaaagggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhh

i must cast my 56k modem into the darkest depths of hell.
  25. EagleIFilms Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    As my signature says...well, you read it for yourself. :D
Moderators: AdamBertocci
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.