main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Formula - Released

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by NickLong, Jun 1, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sp00rk

sp00rk Jedi Youngling

May 22, 2002
    Just got done watching it. Pretty darn good job and great idea. Congrads

2. buliwif

buliwif Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 28, 2000
    the theater stands silent as the house lights go up... nary a sound is heard as the audience sits... until one solitary viewer begins a slow and methodic clap... one by one the other audience members join in until the theater is filled with the din of hundreds of applauding fans in the middle of an uproarious standing ovation!

i have NEVER been so impressed with a fanfilm as i am in this! the story was first rate! the acting excellent! the timing was on, and that Jaws monologue... OMG THE JAWS MONOLOGUE!!!! this movie freaking ROCKED!!!!

*dropping to my knees and bowing before the Llama masters, chanting "WE'RE NOT WORTHY! WE'RE NOT WORTHY!"*

congratulations, gentlemen and lady, on a job exceptionally well done! my hat is off to you all!

-B

3. ThreeDee

ThreeDee Jedi Youngling star 1

May 5, 2000
    EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(I mean that in a very good way)

4. ewingsquadron

ewingsquadron Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 5, 2001
    Chris, Steve, Abe, Justin, and Becca, you have all put together an *excellent* testiment to what it truly means to be a Star Wars fan. I must say, that despite the insane humor, the lame jokes, the outlandish references, and the hillarious chracters, the one thing about the movie that stood out and that I enjoyed the most was the message. That the reason to be a fan is to have fun, and that the reason to make fan films is to have fun. Even though you admit, Chris, that your fan film won't change the world, it has touched this viewer. Thanks for creating such a wonderful film that we can all enjoy!

Now, stop slacking and get on with DLR! :)

5. GWPGearWorx

GWPGearWorx Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 5, 2002
    Simply great fun :) Great work guys.

6. AdamBertocci

AdamBertocci Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 3, 2002
    475 K per second.

// mocks pretty much everyone else

Yay for college.

// hums Northwestern University fight song

Geez, it must be annoying to have your entire comments thread be about how fast or slow it downloads. (Of course, that happened to my film too. *sigh*)

EDIT: Agggh, connection died. I'll try tomorrow.

Rick McCallum loves you!

7. NSH

NSH Jedi Youngling star 1

May 22, 2002
    351k/sec
    I feel for you dial-up users :(

8. Sethesh

Sethesh Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 28, 2001
    Crickey that was a good fanfilm, good job guys!!

9. Q99213

Q99213 Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 3, 2001
    "beep beep!" all downloaded without a failed connection ;) anyway, great film, i loved it. Very original and entertaining. I have one question: am I the only Trek/Wars fan?!?! I am always seeing Trekkies and Star Wars fans pitted against eachother, but I love them both! I don't get it!!!

10. TigerClaw

TigerClaw Jedi Master star 1

Oct 30, 2001
    Thats cause Star Trek fans relie on science while Star Wars fans relie on there knowledge of the force. :)

11. Ryan_W

Ryan_W VIP star 4 VIP

Aug 15, 2001
    What a great film!
    I'm jazzed to have been a part of it.

I laughed out loud quite a few times.
    And that's not easy to do.
    "It didn't stop Mark Hamill, did it?" :D
    "I find your lack of pants disturbing" :D
    And Justin's musical Episode IV is unforgetable. :D

Though I can't wait for my own DV copy so I can see it all hi-res full screen. :)

[image=http://www.zenvideo.net/ryan_w/temp/boba_fatt.jpg]
    New TFN icon...?
    :p

12. NSH

NSH Jedi Youngling star 1

May 22, 2002
    Very impressive...
    A full hour of pure enjoyment....kept me up watching the damn thing when I should have been sleeping...

Good job guys

13. JEDIBYKNIGHT

JEDIBYKNIGHT Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 17, 2001
    Man my alarm clock didn't work and I missed all the fun in the chat room !!! Anyway I've downloaded it... Time to watch it now. :D

EDIT : That was great ! Very funny. Acting was good, fights were really good as well. Mmmmmm... Though there is this one moment where the music was too loud in my opinion... When Chris tells about his waiting in line for Ep. I...
    But that was really, really good ! :)

EDIT : Oh and yeah this is your first movie, huh ? Then it has to be the most impressive first film I've seen to date.

14. Pete_Townshend

Pete_Townshend Jedi Youngling

Jun 2, 2002
    IMPRESSIVE!
    The Formula is great. It has the best acting I´ve ever seen in a Fan Film, really cool parody (this is for the trekkies! :D) and a really good plot. This should be seen by any guy before he tries to make one for himself. My Fan Film Nr. 1, two thumbs up!

15. NickLong

NickLong Jedi Master star 4

Sep 29, 2000
    So, out of interest, are the downloads faster than TF.N?

anyway,

Nick "Shorty" Long

16. SovereignKnight

SovereignKnight Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 17, 2001
    Sorry to the 56Kers.

[image=http://www.worldsindigital.com/speedy.jpg]

I wanna see somebody beat that.

:)

SK

EDIT: That was the fastest rate. It actually settled between 800K and 400K somewhere.

17. Azeem

Azeem TFN Staff, Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 12, 1999
    Probably...but we are pushing a lot more bandwidth.

18. LadyLlama

LadyLlama Jedi Youngling

Jun 2, 2002
    I can?t believe it! Abe and I didn?t get home from the Premier Party until after 1 AM, I have to be at work at 8 AM and what?s the first thing I do???? Check on the film. I really have to work on that obsessive compulsive thing.

Anyway ? what I want to do is ?steal? this thread for a minute to say some long overdue Thank You?s!

Thank you to Chris and Steve for asking me to do this film. I loved getting to know you better. You better come back eventually ? I can?t imagine waiting in line for Episode 3 with anyone else!!
    Thank you to Abe for convincing me that this would be a good ?togetherness? activity. I still can't believe I fell for that!
    Thank you to Justin for always making me laugh and for reminding me to see the fun and not the work.
    Thank you to Nick and all the other guys whose ?real? names I don?t know but who helped make Chris?s dream happen. You all made this movie happen.

We had a really good time making this film, and it sounds like most of you are enjoying it so what could be better??

I?m just dying to MST3K this thing!!!!!!

19. mpfjr

mpfjr Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 8, 2001
    Very very good.

This is what I am going to use to recruit my friends into helping me with my film.

This is my new favorite film I've downloaded from these forums.

Great job!!!!

20. NickLong

NickLong Jedi Master star 4

Sep 29, 2000
    <<Probably...but we are pushing a lot more bandwidth>>

Yeah, rub it in! :p

Excuses, excuses!

OOO, I got a Thank You! YAY! :D

1AM??? 1AM???? I was up till 5AM uploading this sucker!!!

anyway,

Nick "Shorty" Long

P.S. I loved the film BTW

21. link64PD

link64PD Jedi Master star 4

Jun 15, 2001
    Just finished watching and all I can say is "Wow". This is the funniest fan film ever and without a doubt, one of my all time favorites! Words cannot truly describe how great it is. If there is ever any kind of Fan Film awards, put in my early vote for The Formula as film of the year. My hat's off to all of you for a spectacular effort.

22. Lord_Rive

Lord_Rive TFN Fan Films Staff star 4 VIP

Jun 29, 2000
    Really, really great work guys. Loved the Jaws monologue. :)

23. GrEvEs

GrEvEs Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 28, 2002
    bah i used to think my internet was fast, u guys sure shut me up... 70kbps here.

24. Ryebread

Ryebread Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 16, 2001
    Hands down the best acting in a fanfilm, period! In all other fanfilms I've seen the actors appear to be reciting their lines but you folks talk like normal people (most of the time). The film reminded me of "Clerks" which should be taken as a compliment.

I absolutely loved the repeated quick turns by the Jedi at the beginning. You had me laughing so hard. And forgetting to fall down from the force push, hysterical.

You successfully blurred the lines between amateur and professional filmmaking. Not that anyone would mistake this for a Hollywood blockbuster. It's just that everything seemed right from start to finish. Even flubbed lines (perhaps intentionally) flowed well, like a person speaking before they had a clear train of thought. Music placement was well conceived and the choices appropriate.

My only beef with the film is the video and audio quality. I understand this was a rush job to compress but I would greatly appreciate a "mastered" version with Sorenson Pro or Divx. Modem users be damned, I'll gladly download a 500MB file.

Thank you and congratulations to all those involved.

25. Macho

Macho Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 21, 2001
    that was great guys, I love these films that aren't effects heavy and just tell a good story! This film, this film really moved me and my opinion of fan film and fan film creation. I hope Lucas can see this film, then maybe, he can understand what it is like for people to make a film about something HE made, the sacerfices that we make.

I give it THREE BIG THUMBS UP

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.