The Formula - Released

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by NickLong, Jun 1, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: AdamBertocci
  1. RocketGirl Jedi Master

star 4
    Scary thing about those Trekkies...I'm a frequent poster on a sci-fi board called SpaceBattles--maybe you've heard of it?--that has a Vs. Forum where people talk almost exactly like that. The argue over what's canon, they do painstaking calculations to determine down to the nano-joule how much energy is expended when a phaser blast hits a shield, etc, etc... It's not limited to Trekkies, either, but man that scene was the essence of the statment "it's funny because it's true". :)
  2. Master_Comyn Jedi Master

star 4
    Is that John Ahlm's Space Battles?

EDIT: Guess I could hit the link to find out....

Again, I really can't think of any complaints. Any reasonable complaints that is.

*whiny voice* "You didn't cut the double blade in half!"

THANK YOU for not doing that! I mean, look at everyone else: AQoF, Seeds of Darkness, Duality, New World, a ton of others.

Now, name one that HASN'T done that. Chris and I are STILL trying to think of one.
  3. RocketGirl Jedi Master

star 4
    It was Johan Alm's SpaceBattles. He handed it off to Kier Darby several months ago...
  4. Master_Comyn Jedi Master

star 4
    HE DID?! Is that the reason we have all those crappy ad banners in the middle of that front page mess? It used to be so simple to navigate....

And since I'm so into editing my posts tonight:

It's true that Knightquest didn't cut their double bladed sabre in half. But they had an old guy in it, so it doesn't count.
  5. RocketGirl Jedi Master

star 4
    Well, there have been a few changes to SpaceBattles over the last few months. Some very radical ones, actually. In some ways the boards are better...but in some ways...ehhhh...

Regardless, it can be a halfway decent resource for 3D artwork questions...and a haven for calc-monkeys like those Trekkies in The Formula.
  6. Boba_Fat Jedi Padawan

I want to deeply and sincerely thank you guys for making that movie. It was as compelling as it was funny. It truly defined what fan films are all about.
    Thanks

John
  7. AdamBertocci Manager

Manager
    star 7
    WOW, were you ambitious.

Very Kevin Smith-y at times, which I appreciate. (And you even seem to have someone who resembles Kevin... hmm.) The Trekkies seemed to be the equivalent of the troublemaking Jay and Silent Bob. Hmm.

Other comments--
    ? Liked the opening song (for "The Formula", not "Bond of the Force"), it set the tone.
    ? Ackbar imitation during pants game, complete with finger-raise, was great. Lando imitation good too.
    ? Where DID you get so many pretty lightsabers?
    ? Was that "Dark City" on the TV? Yay!
    ? Boba Fett's skin's gotten a lot paler since AOTC, ain't it? :D
    ? "A lightsaber duel by Thomas Harrison" - LOL!
    ? Tom's orange t-shirt is doin' weeeeird stuff, making green stripes and... aw man, my brain hurts. Psychedelic compression, man.
    ? The Sorry Excuse For A Fan Film he dreamed about--aw, man. It brings up the interesting point that maybe people should use more of Meco's SW covers in their fan films, 'cause they're cool.
    ? Was Greedo putting on his seat belt? LOL!
    ? Gladiator music - picked because it sounded cool, or because you wanted a Gladiator reference? Whatever the case, it segued perfectly into the Force theme.
    ? Like the moral about why we make fan films. Awwww! (Is there a real reference there with the radio critic thing?)

Rick McCallum loves you!
  8. Janz_Walker Jedi Master

star 4
    I said most of this to Chris personally, and now I want to let everyone else know.

You all did such a great job. To the directors, Chris and Steve, if you break into the big league film business (and there's no reason to say you won't), I think a lot of us can expect great things from you both.

I'm going to be making revisions to my homage to Star Wars as a result of The Formula.

I could identify with all the characters on some personal level. And as strange and possibly freaky as this may seem, makes me want to identify with the actors a bit too. :) Why I'm admitting that to everyone I really don't know. But anyways...

Excellent film. Standing ovation Again! Simply great.

Chris
    The other white geek. ;)
  9. Bedivere13 Jedi Knight

star 1
    I am also a BIG John Cusack fan, which is probably why the "High Fidelity" bit struck me first. When writing a short comedic film, several of my friends (being my friends, they also were a big JC fan) noted similarities to JC's work. I had never tried to hide it, and in fact thought it was pretty cool: "Come on guys, this is from Grosse Pointe Blank, don't your recognize it...isn't it funny how i used it?"

To my group, yes...but to outsiders...those who knew where i had gotten the source material didn't see the inside homage, and i got around to seeing their point. Other than people who really appreciate "High Fidedlity" and also have seen the film enough to know your characters and recognize the homage, it seems a little strange.

My main problem with it is placement. If we had had a little more time to really know Servo's character before he launched into the HF, those of us who recognized it would see the homage and those who didnt would go on being clueless. As it is, Servo speaks, and for awhile you're struck with this thought: "This is from High Fidelity. Do they think no one will catch this?" I got none of the "in-joke" feel that i got off the JAWS monologue.

No, one song doesn't scream High Fidelity. My point had been mainly with the JAWS reference having been made all the clearer with the music.

I thought the film was inventive, the acting was good, and overall everything was amusing. The HF complaint doesn't ruin the film for me, it just seems like a valid complaint.
  10. DorkmanScott Manager Emeritus

star 6
    "Alright, the guys who did the sabre effects for your fanfilm are none other than our beloved DorkmanScott and Ryan_W. The guys who did the lightsabre effects for the fanfilm in the Formula were Trekkies. Is there some subtle connection you're trying to establish?"

You know, I knew this crap would come up. We do all the hard work and Trekkies get the credit. Then people think WE'RE Trekkies. BAH!

Although I did the "ACTUAL" effects.

RYAN did the Trekkie-credited effects, so I can't speak for him. :eek:

I STILL haven't seen the film (connection issues), but I will have a complete report tomorrow evening.

M. Scott
  11. lokmer Jedi Master

star 4
    Excellent work, guys. Way above par, not only for fanfilms, but for most independant festival films. You really should think about re-scoring it and taking it on the festival circuit. As it's parody you are in the clear as far as IP legalities (as long as you change the music). The writing and execution are excellent.... I just can't say enough good about it. I know that I certainly would be willing to plunk down 12 bucks for a DVD. Please consider it!
    -Lokmer
  12. buliwif Jedi Master

star 4
    i just gotta ask... which post made you break down? was it mine? huh? was it? it was, wasn't it? i knew it! MAN! i hate when i do that! ;)

again, congrats on your film, it WILL go down in history as being one of the best of the best!
  13. MoffJake Jedi Master

star 4
    So much fun! Tonight was quite the laugh fest for me - watching the double header of The Formula and Doom Raiders. Between those two, Diary of Ben Kenobi, Broken Allegiance Cut scenes, and Clay's trailer, this past weekend must have set a record for amount of newly released fan film content.

While I felt a little bruised by the treatment of Trek fans (did you have an acredited supervisor for that?), I was able to laugh it off. I know of Star Wars fanboys who are just as bad. It's only because Star Trek has a reputation for being the 'nerdier' of the two sci-fi realms that you can get away with that. ;)

In addition to other positive comments others have already made:

-I think I laughed the hardest during the dream sequence. Great gags in there!
    -A lot of little details - like the saber reflection in the mirror at the mock-dojo.
    -I was just waiting for someone to spill their Mountain Dew on the finished video tape or VCR at the end.
    -Great camera work and solid editing. The scenes flowed very well because of this.

Way to go!
  14. NickLong Jedi Master

star 4
    You know, I keep seeing my name mentioned in connection to "getting the film out on time" and being "instrumental to this", but is it just me, or has Chris not even said "thank you" to me yet... ;)

anyway,

Nick "Shorty" Long

:p
  15. KadeBendu Jedi Knight

star 1
    Well, this has already been said by better people than me, but: fantastic job, guys (and gal). :) I was thoroughly entertained. The acting was outstanding compared to just about any fan film out there. You did a really good job...at...playing...um, well, yourselves. Anyway, congratulations, you deserve it.

BTW, how do we know that isn't what Fett's life was like inside the Sarlacc? ;)
  16. ObiMcD Force Ghost

star 4
    I must say, very hillarious. Besides the end dragging a bit, a perfect comedy. I laughed my ass off. I also liked how not all of the jokes were 100% star wars related. And if they were there were other elements added to it. It was great.
  17. Digital_LlamaCH Jedi Master

star 4
    Adam B. - Is there a real reference there with the radio critic thing?

Yes, that's a backhanded slap at ourselves. The shooting script was written well before DLR was ever conceived, but that final scene (from "Gimme my dollar back!" up until the ending) was entirely rewritten THAT DAY, and partially improvised. When we looked at the monlogue we decided it would be a nice little in-joke. It got a pretty good reaction at the premiere.

Bedivere - good point. I guess we just didn't catch that 'in-joke' feel that we did with the other for some people. Well, no helping it now...

Dorkman - You're not a trekkie? <whimper>

Lokmer - hooo boy... i knew someone was going to bring this up.

First of all- the way things stand, we had to remove everything but a final render from the editing suite for space reasons. If i were to rescore the movie, i pretty much have to re-edit it. (If you think i'm enthuastic do that right now.... nuh-uh.)

second, i really have no idea how this would stand legally. The opening fight i think just comes to close to home... we use the names Jacen and Jaina and that means we cut into the SW universe.

Personally, if someone told me that i could easily sell this with a few edits, i woudln't be interested. I didn't make this movie to make money, it's a fanfilm. Yeah, it would be nice to be able to distribute a full-fledged DVD, but we're going to do that basically on the website, at a much lower cost. (Look for those extras in the coming weeks/months.)

MoffJake - Don't feel bruised - people will tell you that i'm a closet Trekkie too, deep down. I don't exactly debate shield harmonics, but i do watch the shows on occasion and i'm sure i'll see ST:Nemesis opening day.

Nick - Um, thanks? :p

(Hee hee.... Nick was extremely gracious to offer us 211MB of HD space on Fanfilmfx's server space with absolutely no warning ahead of time. NICK LONG RULES!)

...how's that job application process going? :)

KateBendu: If life inside a sarlacc is doing nothing but drinking beer, eating chips, and watching Springer from a Lay-Z-Boy, i know a few people who might sign up to jump in.

-Chris
  18. Anonymous_Jedi Jedi Master

star 4
    Wait wait... did I see a post by the "Dave" you guys rave about all the time above?!?!
    :eek:

Anyways, great job guys, very funny (I was crying some I was laughing so hard.)
    But like you guys in the movie said, there's got to be a sequel ;) :p (j/k)
  19. TheRealFennShysa TFN FanFilms Staff

VIP
    star 4
    Chris:
    I can understand deleting out the "pre-effects" shots, but your audio should have been a separate issue... don't you have the ability to dump out a version without your music tracks? Re-laying new music should be easy, and no need to re-edit the film...

As to the legal issues, I really don't see any in the name area... who's to say you're not saying *Jason* and Jaina (which are both real-world names, y'know...)

Seriously... you need to consider hitting the festival circuit with this... I go to a LOT of film festivals, and THIS IS A GOOD MOVIE... regardless of its fanfilm origins... it's better than a lot of stuff I've seen at legitimate festivals...

Fenn
  20. PadawanNick Force Ghost

star 4
    THIS IS LOTS OF FUN!!!!!!!!!!
    I LOVE IT!!!!!

I still haven't had the chance to watch it all the way through, but my favorite part is right at the beginning with the bully flash-back! That was a riot!!

Have fun!
  21. Janz_Walker Jedi Master

star 4
    Festival circuit definately. I'm not very knowledgable about them, though. People don't have to pay to get into those festivals, do they? Because if not, it shouldn't pose any legal problem to enter it in one or two.
  22. TheRealFennShysa TFN FanFilms Staff

VIP
    star 4
    Yes, people pay to get into film festivals... at least all the ones I've been to...

Fenn
  23. Digital_LlamaCH Jedi Master

star 4
    Well, i talked to Steve's boss at the studio. Apparently i was mistaken, we still have the original project file (along with the 100 GB of raw footage rendered in the system)... which means i can take out the copyrighted music. HOWEVER... This is starting to get into an area of filmmaking that i am very VERY new at, and i would like some advice on all of this. Industry professionals, PLEASE PM me, i would like to talk to some people over the phone about what exactly i'm getting myself into. This is all a bit scary for me, to be honest.
    We always talked about going to film fests, but i never actually thought it would be an honest to god possibility.

-Chris
  24. KadeBendu Jedi Knight

star 1
    Chris,

2000 years is a lot of Jerry Springer. Bring on the pork rinds!

By the way, it's Kade Bendu. If I ever need an evil twin sister, I'll keep Kate in mind, though. ;)
  25. Digital_LlamaCH Jedi Master

star 4
    Sorry, Kade. I never claimed to be good with names.... i once thought the name of one of the Crewoftwo guys was "Dave Thomas". Go figure. :)

-Chris
Moderators: AdamBertocci
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.