The Formula - Released

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by NickLong, Jun 1, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: AdamBertocci
  1. BarryOTP Jedi Knight

star 1
    Ah very true, plus my QuickTime'll work eventually and it really is the best format to view. Thanks for answering though.
  2. ThreeDee Jedi Knight

star 1
    Higher quality?? Gah. Which version to keep... hmm.....
  3. Janz_Walker Jedi Master

star 4
    Simple solution: Buy Quicktime Pro so you can merge the 3 movie files into one. You get the best of both worlds.
  4. BarryOTP Jedi Knight

star 1
    Yes but there's that "buy" word.
  5. GrEvEs Jedi Knight

star 2
    wow man! that movie was great i really felt like that was a feature film, the acting was excellent, EXTREMELY believeable. the ONLY critisicm(sp?) i have is that some parts were a bit muffled, couldn't hear them. but that might have just been me or something. all in all, it was EXCELLENT! i love how the sabers were all off in the parking lot scene (his dream), that was HILARIOUS! great work Llama crew ppl, make another one please!!! :)
  6. DuelingLlamas Jedi Padawan

Hello everyone, Abe here!
    I just wanted to thank everyone out there for their love, support, praise, and criticism of our movie. The response has been fabulous! I'm glad that everyone really enjoyed it.
    I wanted to take a quick sec to thank Chris for hiring me to do the fight choreography and casting me in the film. My wife, Becca, for doing the film with me and for being so darn cute. And most importantly Steve Phalen, without this man The Formula would NEVER have gotten off the ground. He sacrificed countless hours putting up with Chris :) and I in the editing room. I can't tell you how many times I looked at Steve and said, "this will all look better when there's sound effects and music put in...right?" Well, it sure did. Thanks, bro.
    On a random note, how did people like the fight choreography? I must say I was quite proud of it. Chris has zippo experience when we started and Justin only had about a months worth of rapier training. For the short time we had to train, I was pretty proud of those two and the work they did. Any comments are welcome.

Until the next DLR,
    Abe Peterka
  7. Master_Comyn Jedi Master

star 4
    Abe, I love your work. I thought the Vision fight was simply outstanding. I've never seen any fanfilm with such an elegant, flowing duel. The matrix fights were amazing. When I first saw that footage *cough*Chris*cough, I thought it had been sped or altered in some way, but Chris told me it hadn't. I think you outbeat Clay Kronke's Matrix fight there. Course, his was taken from the movie, and yours for the most part was original. All in all, I absolutely loved it, Abe.

So do you have any secrets on turning a bunch of slackers who think they know it all into true fighting machines? We've got one guy who wants to use a fencing style (actually, he justs wants to jab people with his abnormally long lightsabre). I've still gotta work with two other guys who just recently signed on.

But seriously. We've gotta get together and trade blows sometime. :)
  8. EagleIFilms Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Dang it, I'm sorry it's taken me till today to see this film.

I just have to say...GREAT film.

In the words of Steve, I'm gonna rip this film first, then pad it with the good stuff.

The acting wasn't great AT TIMES, and a couple of times you messed up on a line. Although, I can forgive you the line flubbing because it's sort of like a documentary, and sometimes people mess-up while talking.

My other rip is that it just wasn't long enough! I'd like to see a lot more.

And now for the good stuff.

Coymn, I'm not sure where you got the idea that I liked that this film had a purpose, because I really didn't know that till literally 10 minutes ago, but you are correct. I liked that you weren't just making a comedy, it actually had a purpose, and got across a lot of things you've been saying on your radio show. It doesn't matter what other people think about your fan film, it's if you had fun making it. Btw, great line about what people on a 'radio show' think. [face_laugh]

From start to finish, the film was funny, then touching, then AWESOME. I loved it, and I will definatly watch it about 30 times.

As for the High Fidality 'rip-off', I must say, I didn't know that was a rip-off (I haven't seen that OR 'Jaws'). I think you're referring to the 'Pants' thing? Or am I wrong. If so, I just know that the pants thing has been done at the JC a million times, and it was funny because of that.

Also, I think this is the first fan film--and maybe the first film EVER--to have a charactor named 'Gregory'. Props for that. :)

Anyway, those are my first thoughts on the film.

WHERE IS DLR 8??? :_| You said it would be up Sunday!! :_| Oh well. I guess I'll just wait more...

Oh, did I mention I'd love to see The Formula II?
  9. Digital_LlamaCH Jedi Master

star 4
    The High Fidelity homage is the speech that starts with "What came first... Star Wars or the cynicism?"

As for a Formula II, i sincerely doubt it. As things stand right now (I say right now because you never know), Steve's in MA until August, and will be back for maybe a month. I'm going to be gone probably as of the end of summer. Justin has a full family now. :)Consider it a huge acheivement all of us got together for that amount of time and made the movie!

Now, if someone were to offer us a *real* budget to make something a bit larger in scale, i'm sure i could get Steve to come back... hee hee...

-Chris
  10. Azeem TFN Staff, Manager Emeritus

star 4
    I am working on a mirror site for download of THEFORMULA.

Its a free site for me. I have no idea how long it will stay up though.

11. Digital_LlamaCH Jedi Master

star 4
    Jeff, you rock. Keep us updated and THANK YOU!

-Chris
  12. Master_Comyn Jedi Master

star 4
    Okay, I've watched this film 3 times all the way through, and I STILL haven't picked up on the "radio show" line everyone talks about! Could someone spare some enlightenment?

Oh, and Eagle. Sorry. I saw Ewing's post. I ALWAYS get you two confused. Sorry. :)
  13. Digital_LlamaCH Jedi Master

star 4
    It's at the very end... the line is...

"...Who cares if your film's not perfect? Who cares what some other viewers or some short-sighted radio critic says on some flashy website?"

A personal dig at myself over our treatment of Sith Apocalypse. We completely rewrote the last scene that day, and we threw that in.
  14. Azeem TFN Staff, Manager Emeritus

star 4
  15. TwinSuns82 Jedi Knight

I'm having trouble with the film. I downloaded it off of the mirror and at 2:41 Quicktime crashes. I've looked ahead at the rest of teh file and it is all white screen from that point on. My best guess is that I may have just gotten a bad download, any one else have this problem?
  16. KaaShamau Jedi Master

star 4
    Yeah, my download quits after a few megs, leaving me with a few seconds of footage and a lot of white.

EDIT: Seem to be having better luck with Azeems link...
  17. DaftMaul Former TFN Fan Films Staff

VIP
    star 5
    So, I just finished watching The Formula and thought it was great.

It had me genuinely laughing out loud quite a lot of times thoughout, (first ROFL was Yeah, the emperor just called, he wants his.... [face_laugh] ) That was very close to home. Loved it.

There where so many parts of it that really struck a chord with me throughout. When the Director (Chris?) was sat staring at the letter from the bank (overdrawn I guess?) I knew the feeling, I've had the same feelings, you sit there and think, why the hell am I actually making this film and blowing all of this cash???

I have to confess I don't spend to long trying to answer this question, becuase I really don't know the answer... I'm not actually sure FUN does it for me, but whatever it is, we keep making them..

I want to show Nikki soon, and see if she likes it as much, as I'd be interested to see if it's a film that is more for 'fanfilm makers' or whether it is just as good for a mainstream (non fanfilm making) audience.

Either way, personally I loved it, you hit so many nails on the head throughout, and so often I was either laughing at what I saw, or just nodding in agreement.

Good stuff, and all the more fun becuase I didn't have a clue what to expect/what it was about (hence I was a little nervous after seeing the first three minutes! :p )

Congratulations on finishing a great film.
  18. Digital_LlamaCH Jedi Master

star 4
    I want to show Nikki soon, and see if she likes it as much, as I'd be interested to see if it's a film that is more for 'fanfilm makers' or whether it is just as good for a mainstream (non fanfilm making) audience.

Thanks for the great comments, Dave... and just to give you an idea, we showed it to a crowd of 120 people, almost none had ever seen a fanfilm, and the response was huge. I think she'll enjoy it. (at least, i sincerely *hope* she will.) :)

-Chris
  19. Digital_LlamaCH Jedi Master

star 4
    Yay.... ANOTHER UPDATE...

Steve's boss is outputting the film to DVD tomorrow, and giving me 2 copies. One i'm keeping for myself and for making copies later, and one will be going out to be compressed. If i play my cards right, we might be able to see a new version up by next Monday or Tuesday.

Also: I've finished a commentary track that goes along with the version already released. It'll be an mp3 file that you play along with the movie. Hope to have it online tonight along with Part II of DLR #8.

And then i start again on Second Strike. WHEN DOES IT EVER END?!

(Between you and me: hopefully never. <wink>)

-Chris
  20. JEDIBYKNIGHT Jedi Master

star 4
    Yeah I have shown it to a friend here (France...so I showed it to the only guy that could understand...) and he liked it a lot. And he doesn't really like fanfilms. So... Your movie works with everyone ! :)
  21. DorkmanScott Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Hehe, I just remembered, I never posted my thank you list.

First of all, thanks to Chris for letting me be a part of this (heh, two weeks ago it would've been "Damn you for dragging me into this, you bastard!" :p). That I already said, but it bore repeating.

Thanks to the whole Digital Llama team for such a great film and so many laughs here and on the radio show.

Abe: great fighting choreography. Thanks for giving me something good to work with. :)

Thanks to Ryan for taking the Forest scenes off my hands, and again to Chris and The Dave for taking the Nightmare scene (and not killing me for handing it off last-minute). While from an artistic standpoint the idea of doing a total of 5 different styles of saber effects appealed to me very much, from a logistical standpoint with a looming deadline, it just couldn't happen.

Thanks also to Ryan and Steve (see Steve, now you got a credit, :p) for coming up with a method that made this exponentially easier than it might have been, the Matrix scene in particular. I'm definitely a method man.

Oh, thanks also to Steve for constantly IMing me to remind me what a social pariah "Formula" was making me.

(You guys REALLY need to see the high-rez to know what I'm talking about.)

Justin and Chris, great fighting (did Chris tell you I had the insufferable habit of referring to you as "Abe" for, like, three months, Justin?) for that scene. Abe was great of course, but that's what he DOES. :p

My friends were great to unwind with when I had the opportunity, thanks to them. One of them at least is here under the name "MasterDarksol". I finally got to show him and others what I've been doing all this time.

I want to also publicly thank someone who's not on these boards but needs recognition, my best friend Paul. This whole thing, while fun, had little trouble making me stressed and irritable, and being my best friend and so close to me he undeniably got the brunt of it full-force. I treated him very poorly and he put up with it quietly, without complaining.

Direct praise makes him uncomfortable because he doesn't know how to respond, so I decided to tell all of you. He's the greatest friend anyone could ever have and he helped keep me even CLOSE to sane through this intense post period, and kept me from giving up when it seemed I would never make it. The Formula owes as much to him as it does to me for that reason. He'll never read this, but I wanted to tell y'all about him.

Anyways, I'm done rambling. Let's get that high-rez up!

(Though I've got a VHS coming my way, right? ;) Plus the DVD release...and the special edition...LOL)

M. Scott
  22. McC Jedi Knight

star 1
    I told my friends about the pants gag and we came up with some more. :)

"Pants matter not. Look at me. Judge me by my pants do you?"
    "I cannot teach him. The boy has no pants."
    "Pants not make one great."
    "What if everyone who smuggled for me dropped their pants at the first sign of an Imperial starship?"
    "Your father wanted to have these pants when you were old enough."
    "You, like your father, are now...pants."
    "Everything that has transpired has done so according to my pants."
    "I'm standing here in pants, and you're having delusions of grandeur!"
    "We've got to give our fighters more pants!"
    "And I thought these pants smelt bad...on the outside!"
    "Open the blast pants! Open the blast pants!"
    "Form up. And stay alert; we could run out of pants real fast."
    "The chances of successfully navigating these pants are 3,720 to one!"
    "How you get so big wearing pants of this kind?"
    "Listen, if you were to rescue here the reward would be...well, more pants than you can imagine!"
    "Well, short pants are better than no pants at all."
    "These pants are now the ultimate power in the universe."
    "Dangerous to your pants, Commander. Not to this battle station."
    "Don't be too proud of this technological terror you've constructed. The ability to destroy a planet is insigificant compared to the power in my pants."
    "These pants have still got a few surprises left in them, sweetheart."
    "This is my apprentice: Darth Maul. He will find your lost pants."
    "I am altering these pants. Pray I don't alter them any further."
    "Lost his pants, Master Obi-Wan has. How embarassaing. How embarassing."
    "Master Obi-Wan, if it isn't in our pants, then it does not exist."
    "You will pay the price for you lack of pants!"
    "You can waste time in your pants when your chores are done."

Hope you like them! :)
  23. BarryOTP Jedi Knight

star 1
    :)

Hehe a commentary track sweet!
  24. link64PD Jedi Master

star 4
    <<Thanks also to Ryan and Steve (see Steve, now you got a credit>>

YESSS!!!!! :D 8-}

<<Oh, thanks also to Steve for constantly IMing me to remind me what a social pariah "Formula" was making me.>>

[face_laugh]

25. Digital_LlamaCH Jedi Master

star 4
    McC,

I've noticed that the original Star Wars Pants site that i got the idea from hasn't been updated since 99. I'm thinking about starting a new one that includes Episode II quotes. Do you guys think it would be worthwhile to do? Would you visit it and submit lines? Just trying to guage how much work i should put into the new digitalllama.com (and how much work Anonymous_Jedi will therefore have)... :)

-Chris
Moderators: AdamBertocci
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.