main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Formula - Released

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by NickLong, Jun 1, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. McC

McC Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 30, 2001
    Sure, absolutely :) I think the whole pants gag is hilarious and would be glad to contribute lines to a site that was acting as a repository for them. Plus, if it's DLR, then you know I'm there ;)

2. Chad_Peter

Chad_Peter Jedi Grand Master star 3

Aug 9, 2000
    LMAO

Dear, dear Digital Llama crew, that was fan-freaking-tastic! A delight to see an offbeat comedy with heart and all that jive. It's about damn time!

Wicked, wicked stuff........I'm still pissed I had to film on the premier day, else I woulda been there........getting pasty faced and drunk with the crew...

*sigh*

heh, this goes on the wall of fame.

--Chad

3. link64PD

link64PD Jedi Master star 4

Jun 15, 2001
    <<I'm thinking about starting a new one that includes Episode II quotes.>>

"Senator Amidala, your tragedy on the landing platform, terrible. Seeing you alive, brings warm feelings to my pants."

8-}

4. Digital_LlamaCH

Digital_LlamaCH Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 30, 2001
    Link: You are truly a warped individual. Stay more than 500 feet away from me at all times. <smirk>

I'm sitting at Abe's house right now and we've been readin' more replies and stuff. The thank yous have been great and all, the response has been fantastic. But we gotta go out of our way and make a small correction that I should have done at the very beginning.

Someone on this board (I forget who) has a quote by some famous person that says: "Anything one man can imagine, another can make real." I might be paraphrasing, i'm not sure. Anyways, i need to make sure that one thing is straight. I might have imagined this film at the beginning, but Steve Phelan made it happen. From the very beginning, Steve took what we had and made it into the colossal success that it's been, from helping shape the script, to being photographer extrordinaire, helping me keep my head in the game, and editing the feature while Abe and I poked our heads in behind him going "Uh, cool" a lot. Steve worked on this up until 5 AM the day before he had to leave for Massachucettes (mangled spelling i'm sure) and for that i cannot repay him with any amount of gratitude.

Right now Steve is on the east coast unable to participate in our perpetual glee-fest that it has been around here. I beg of all of you to make his day and email him at kryptofailin@angelfire.com and let him know what you thought of the film. He may not be the most visible of the llama crew, but he's probably the most vital.

Know Steve Phelan, Know "The Formula."
    No Steve Phelan, No "The Formula."

-Chris

5. Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn

Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 23, 1999
    Damn it.

I want broadband!

6. DuelingLlamas

DuelingLlamas Jedi Youngling

Sep 17, 2001
    Hello everyone, it's Abe.

I just wanted to take a second and also thank the man who made every dream I had about swinging a lightsaber and spouting cheesy Star Wars lines a reality. Mr. Phelan (I spelled it wrong in my last post, sorry Steve :( ), I just wanted to thank you for the opportunity to work with someone as talented and creative as yourself. I'm glad I could be there for you when times got rough and you needed a big furry Wookiee to say, "this will all look better when there's sound effects and music, right?" or "Oh yeah, I hear ya." I sincerely hope the Gods above will give me the chance to work with you again, bro. Your insight, persistence, and beatboxing are sorely missed. Thank you.

Since he can't be here to bask in the glory that is The Formula, please take a second and email Steve at kryptofailin@angelfire.com and let him know what an incredible effort he made for Llama fans everywhere. (Also, please beg forgivness for us from his girlfriend, Monica. We stole Steve away from her for countless nights and locked him in the editing suite when he could have been having quality nookie time <grin>)

Love you, Bro,
    Abe

7. JediTAC

JediTAC Jedi Knight star 5

Nov 30, 2000
  8. Vidman

Vidman Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 18, 2001
    Congrats to the DLR Team for this fan film.
    I great job all round! Especially considering it was your first film. Kudos.

I think the strengths of the film were in its writing and performace. A very well written and funny script that was very well executed from an acting point of view.

I loved the Kevin Smith'esque' style of the film and the originality of it. Great to see a fan film that comes at things from a different perspective for a change.

The only criticisms I have are in the editing, which I think could have been tightened up in a few scenes, I think the same story could have been told in less than 53 mins, and in the cinematography which needed a little more shot variety especially during the dramatic scenes where we really needed to see the emotion on the actors faces in a closeup rather than a wide angle frame in poor lighting where we cannnot see emotionally what is going on when we really needed to - especially in the 'bank statement' scene.

But overall an excellent job. Pats on the back all round!

Bravo!

:)

9. Master_Comyn

Master_Comyn Jedi Master star 4

Nov 17, 2000
    Just HAD to link it. As if it weren't painfully obvious already. 8-}

10. link64PD

link64PD Jedi Master star 4

Jun 15, 2001
    Chris: The quote is from Jules Vern,

Anything one man can imagine, another man can make it real.

It's from Macho's signature.

11. LordFrisian

LordFrisian Jedi Youngling

May 21, 2002
    Excellent - nearly everything in this movie seemed familiar to me, *killing me softly with his film*!

Tis is almost a kind of therapy to the torn mind of a phantastic world's inhabitant who never managed to become a Jedi himself (nor an employee of Lucasfilm, respectively).

I'm afraid, though, that I - not speaking English natively - didn't get some of the dialogs. Couldn't you PLEAAASE publish the script anywhere???

Many thanks for giving the world that film!!!

12. EagleIFilms

EagleIFilms Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 6, 2001
    Also: I've finished a commentary track that goes along with the version already released. It'll be an mp3 file that you play along with the movie. Hope to have it online tonight along with Part II of DLR #8.

Any luck on this, C.C.?

13. Digital_LlamaCH

Jan 30, 2001
    Yeah, it's actually going up tonight. I had to fix a few problems with the recording, but all is well. Expect it in the next 24 hours.

-CHris

14. ThreeDee

ThreeDee Jedi Youngling star 1

May 5, 2000
    After reading JediTAC's official review :), I thought of a couple of pieces of constructive criticism I wanted to give about The Formula.

First, JediTAC said that the sound was perfect and there were no instances of volume imbalance, however I noticed a couple of times. For example, in the forest scene in the beginning, the music seemed barely audible, but at times in the Jaws monologue it almost overshadowed Chris' lines. Also, there were a few times when dialogue was just a tad hard to hear: first in the forest scene when Tom is saying the line about "it's sensors, not radar!" I could hardly hear the "it's SENSORS" part, because Greg and Zarth were so close to the camera (and, I guess, to the mic), and Tom was facing away. There were also a couple of times in Tom's parking lot monologue where he faced away and his dialogue was much quieter (although still entirely audible), and one time where it was actually hard to hear because of the rain.

Second thing I wanted to comment about.. Rebecca said this on JediTAC's thread:

"Is that a polite way of saying I stink?"

..regarding JT's comments on her acting. Well, you certainly didn't stink, far from it. :) Jenny's lines just sounded a little.. rehearsed compared to the others. I have a good example here and a way that it might have been better.

Again, from the forest scene as she's about to ditch Tom and go back to Excalibur with Greg:

"I mean, we're not your tools for glory, jerk-off, we're your friends, remember?"

I think timing is everything with this line. The reason it sounded just a little "off" to me was that it was said one word right after the last. The words "jerk-off" and "remember" are both like additions their respective predecessors, "we're not your tools for glory," and "we're your friends," so the way it was said kind of gave it a lyrical quality. :) It might have been better with some pauses, like this:

"I mean, we're not your tools for glory, jerk-off. We're your friends. [more poignantly] Remember?"

15. Digital_LlamaCH

Jan 30, 2001
    First, JediTAC said that the sound was perfect and there were no instances of volume imbalance, however I noticed a couple of times. For example, in the forest scene in the beginning, the music seemed barely audible, but at times in the Jaws monologue it almost overshadowed Chris' lines.

The music problem with the music at the beginning was a result of a bad transfer to VHS. The next batch of tapes i did didn't suffer from that problem. The high res version will have that fixed.

Also, there were a few times when dialogue was just a tad hard to hear: first in the forest scene when Tom is saying the line about "it's sensors, not radar!" I could hardly hear the "it's SENSORS" part, because Greg and Zarth were so close to the camera (and, I guess, to the mic), and Tom was facing away.

That was by choice. We did multiple takes of that shot, but that was the only one where Abe and Justin pulled that bit. It overshadowed the line, but it worked better.

There were also a couple of times in Tom's parking lot monologue where he faced away and his dialogue was much quieter (although still entirely audible), and one time where it was actually hard to hear because of the rain.

Chalk it up to a double edged sword... we weren't planning on it raining that night, but when it did, we decided to film anyways because it just fit WAY too well with the scene. I'm sure that if the weather had been better the audio would have improved, but would you have passed up an opportunity like that? :)

-Chris

16. Neszis

Neszis Jedi Padawan star 4

May 23, 2001
    Ok I just saw this film as well...i stuck it out of my AOL 56k.

Awesome. It was glorious, touching, close-to-home, exciting, funny, and just an absolute joy to watch. I loved it. Great acting, and I felt I could relate.

I was extremely happy to be in the chat during the release. I was not happy to find out it was 211 mbs. I was happy to make Chris Hanel chug a whole 2 litre bottle of Mt. Dew. I was not happy to realize that I did NOT have the llamas in my pocket, though.

Abe or Justin (didn't catch the names fast enough, but he played the Jedi in the film that never existed...he looks a lOT like Kevin Smith. Just wanted to say that.

LOVED the pants gag. As did everyone, so I won't keep going on it. Laughed heartily at the "sucky fanfilm" dream sequence. THAT was ingenuity.

this movie reminds me of......nothing. That is a compliment, not an insult. It is like nothing I've ever seen before. It had such a great story and development, I was on the verge of tears (not literally, but it made me want to be (not literally, but...ahh, you know)).

Absolutely insanely monumentally good. EXCELLENT job, llamas. You should sell this.

I'm not one for long reviews, but just imagine one right here, ok? I LOVED IT.

~Neszis~

17. DaftMaul

DaftMaul Former TFN Fan Films Staff star 5 VIP

Feb 18, 2001
    Hyeah, the emperor just called - he wants his friggin lines back! [face_laugh]
    That is just a great, great line. Probably my favourite line in a fanfilm - ever.
    (maybe helped becuase I'm guilty as charged to... :) ) It was also helped becuase it was very well delivered, and reacted to.

I've chuckled about that line for a couple of days now. Every time I hear a dodgy bit of 'Star Warsy' dialogue I saw that lne in my head.

Class.

18. MrBNtrl

MrBNtrl Jedi Youngling

Jun 5, 1999
    Without a doubt my favorite fanfilm ever....hell it could even be ranked up there as one of my most enjoyable film experiences internet or not. As for Becca's acting...there were a couple of lines that hurt, but most of them were good. Not sure if it was the order they were filmed in or what, but as the film moved forward the acting of everyone seemed to get progressively better. Oh and Becca's a hottie.

I've watched it several times and every time I laugh. Wonderfully done.

-MrBeanTroll

19. JediTAC

JediTAC Jedi Knight star 5

Nov 30, 2000
    JediTAC's OFFICIAL Review of THE FORMULA

Over the last several years, we have been treated to numerous presentations of Star Wars FanFilms. Some comedic ? some serious ? some following canon ? some stepping out-of-the-box. Never before, however, has there been a FanFilm about making a FanFilm . . . . until now.

I?m sure there are many many people out there who wonder about what kind of drive and motivation it takes for a person to want to put forth the time, effort and financial resources into creating a FanFilm . . . a creation which will ultimately reap no financial gain or mainstream theatrical recognition. Why do they do it?

THE FORMULA is a nonsensical look into the quirky mind of the Star Wars FanFilmmaker. If there was ever a quandary about what drives a person, or group of people, to devote so much time and energy into the production of a FanFilm, THE FORMULA will lay all such quandaries to rest. Chris Hanel and Steve Phelan have skillfully, and successfully, woven a pseudo-documentary style tale of a group of friends, each one of them die-hard Star Wars fanatics, who decide to express their fandom by embarking on the perilous, migraine-inducing journey that is a Star Wars FanFilm.

As you watch the opening minutes of THE FORMULA, you are led to believe that you are viewing one of your typical Jedi vs Sith (in the forest) lightsabre duels. However, just as the dueling action reaches it?s peak, we are virtually yanked out of the FanFilm ?fantasy? and thrust into the FanFilmmaking ?reality? ? with the proverbial Director?s call, ?CUT.? Thus begins, or rather starts-in-the-middle, our central character?s pathos. (For those of you non Filmmaking and/or Philosophy majors out there, that mean?s the central Character?s inner turmoil . . . the focus of the story, (hehehe, had to throw that in there)).

CHARACTERS/ACTORS:
    The main theme running through each and every actor?s performance is this . . . THEY HAD FUN. This attitude, evident among each cast member, is what really makes this film work so well. Whether it is the tormented soul of Director/Producer Tom Servo, the whimsical Jack Black-ish demeanor of Greg, the committed passion of Jenny, or the untra-Lucasian Beat-The-Geek persona of Zarth . . . each of the lead cast members delivers a completely believable, yet comedic, depiction of the devotion of a die-hard Star Wars fan. With the few minor exceptions of Jenny?s dialogue delivery, the actor?s delivered their respective lines as if they were ad-libbing them on-the-spot -giving the character's interaction a very "real world" feel.

Furthermore, the comedic timing and body-language (including facial expressions) of each actor is executed marvelously ? adding the right bit of farce that gives THE FORMULA it?s unique style and flavor.

SCRIPT/DIALOGUE:
    Again, Chris Hanel and Steve Phelan have, in my opinion, outdone themselves with their blending of biting sarcasm with self-inflicted Star Wars Fan bashing ? with clever variations of dialogue/monologues from several well-known/established motion pictures. (My favorite was dramatic retrospective monologue of Tom Servo as he recalls the heartbreak of his ?shattered expectations? of Episode I - modified from Robert Shaw?s ?Indianapolis? monologue from JAWS).

From start to finish, it became clear to this reviewer that Hanel and Phelan took great care and pride in the scriptwriting and dialogue selection of their film. I absolutely loved the introspective approach (the first person documentary style) wherein Tom Servo addresses the audience at various intervals throughout the film as the story progresses. The structure of the film is held together very well through the use of creative editing, cutaways and clever/fitting sound effects ? each element complimenting the other to make for a most cohesive and entertaining presentation.

SPECIAL EFFECTS
    Obviously, this was a film which did not rely heavily on special visual effects . . . and it didn?t need to. This film is a prime example that

20. ThreeDee

ThreeDee Jedi Youngling star 1

May 5, 2000
    Yes, let me reiterate (or just iterate?) that I don't like to be as technical as I was in that last post, that I've watched The Formula 3 or 4 times since its release, and loved it each time. And, as was just said, and something I forgot to mention but should have, acting did get consistently better (than it already was) throughout. Fantastic.

21. darth_jeeling

darth_jeeling Jedi Youngling

Nov 2, 2001
    Well this is a first, the release of The Formula has compelled me to come out of my hermit hideyhole and
    add my humble voice to the sea of praise washing in on this thread. I hereby dedicate my 22nd post since
    Nov 01 (that has to be some kind of record!) to the Llamas and crew for thoroughly entertaining me above
    and beyond the call of duty.

Know that you have dragged this lurker kicking and screaming into the light of the digital day to post my
    appreciation for your wonderful efforts. My thanks, such as they are, are yours.

-darth_jeeling

22. MrBNtrl

MrBNtrl Jedi Youngling

Jun 5, 1999
    Darth Jeeling....I registered Jun 99 and I have 32 posts.... :)

23. kryptofailin

kryptofailin Jedi Youngling

Jun 7, 2002
    Heya...
    Boy... that's a lot of response, this is overwhelmingly pleasing. Boy, um... where to start? Well, this is my first go at the message boards, probably a voyage I should have taken long ago. Well it's me, Steve Phelan, THE SILENT LLAMA, or what Beatles fanatics like to refer to as THE GEORGE. I guess I should just make this real short... um... first of all I'm really happy that so many of you have embraced our first-ever movie. I can't thank the rest of our cast, crew, and support groups enough for their time, energy, donations, what have you, in helping us get this movie off the ground. Chris came to me with a story and a small script treatment and he introduced me to a whole new world of people and filmmaking... a filmmaking that is possible, OH YES, EVEN IN CEDAR RAPIDS, IOWA! I'm glad I could help him to form this movie into the piece it is. I can't stress enough the fact that it is quite the ensemble vision. I do appreciate the kudos my collegues gave me on the posts earlier. Abe, Chris, thank you very much. Jeff, thank you for making those corrections on the website for me.
    MICHAEL SCOTT AND RYAN VIEBER!!! Thank you SO MUCH for your help! Without you, this wouldn't be Star Wars. You're the icing on the wedding cake! Of course, along with you is our very own DAVE SNIDER! Man, thank you for coming through for us in the final hour, as well as moving chairs, getting water, lightsabers, and muttering little quips at 6am in the forest like, "What the hell am I doing here?"
    I'd also like to thank Chad Canfield and his son for their work on the movie. Thanks to our Trekkies James Kropa and Michael Mulherin. Thanks also to the MANY contributors who helped us make this movie in all their efforts, donations, space, props, time, etc. Chris tended to work with them away from my realms of this movie. I wish I could have been at the premiere to meet and thank all of you as well.
    Finally, I'd like to thank family and friends of all of us Llamas, especially Justin's wife. This movie took a lot of time and energy and sacrifice, not only on our part, but on their behalves as well. Thank you for supporting and believing in us.
    OH JEEZ! REAL FINALLY! THANK YOU EMCOMM, FOR THE USE OF THE FACILITIES! I know it kind of goes without saying from me, but the credit should be given. Wayne, my boss, though confident and trusting in me, never had to let me take that Canon XL1 out of it's bag, or open the doors to the editing suites for anything other than business purposes. He nurtured my creativity and the creativity of the Llama Team.
    There are tons of people who probably didn't get their due in here, and I'm REALLY self-conscious about that. If any of you that I didn't name have a BEEF with my absent-mindedness, PLEASE email me, and I'll post it. Let's face it, we weren't the most organized crew to ever make a movie, and things slip through the cracks.

I'm really jazzed by the email I'm getting from people. I don't have much time to type these days, but if you have any questions and/or criticisms, or just want to shoot the... poo doo, email me at krytofailin@angelfire.com

Peace to all. We'll talk again soon.
    Stevie

24. TwinSuns82

TwinSuns82 Jedi Youngling

Feb 25, 2001
    This has to be one of the best, if not the best fan films out there right now. All of you are hilarious, and you all did magnificent work on this movie. Btw, speaking of movies, is Yoda's Jedi still happening? It's sounds like another great idea, and if it is, can I be in it? :D I can't say enugh how great this was, and I can't wait for the next show. One last thing, not to sound to anxious but, is the commentary track online?

25. DuelingLlamas

DuelingLlamas Jedi Youngling

Sep 17, 2001
    ARGH!!! Yoda's Jedi!!!

I very much want to do this film (especially since Chris would get to play Creepy Thin Sith, but with Steve being out of state and Chris maybe leaving soon, I don't know when we'd do it. However, if there are any interested females who are living in Iowa and would like a shot at being cast, feel free to email me at Duelmaster@hotmail.com. Also, Bill Murray, if you're reading this, we'd love to have you reprise your role in the film :)

Take care, everyone, thanks again for the support!
    Abe

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.