main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC The Foul Places of The Earth

Discussion in 'Community' started by Jabba-wocky, Sep 3, 2017.

1. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

Fun fact, the pub quiz team I play on when I'm in HK is "Norfolk 'n' Chance" (please don't ban me, Daveed)...

2. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    As a resident of it for over 25 years, New York City is the worst.

It's also my favorite place. Go figure.

tom likes this.
  3. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012

Mine was called "Sikh and destroy"

4. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

n00b.

5. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Maybe I shouldn't judge a whole town because of one thing, but I can't imagine having a good time in Westboro.

Rogue1-and-a-half and Sarge like this.
  6. TahiriVeilaSolo69

TahiriVeilaSolo69 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 27, 2002
    Florida. Florida is terrible and I hate it.

a star war likes this.
  7. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    And what is your opinion of Flo Rida?

Juliet316 and heels1785 like this.
  8. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    I have always found him very welcoming at his abode.

9. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    Fagersta, Sweden. I get depressed every time I'm there or go through it. Basically just worn down working class houses centered around the steelworks. I once tried to find something to eat, but gave up and drove 70 km to a fast food place instead.

10. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Tijuana. It smells. It is not safe to walk alone. I had to bribe 2 cops not to take a friend to jail because, well he didn't actually do anything wrong. A store clerk did not like him talking to a female customer so he called for the police and he didn't have any money to give them. Cost me $20. He never paid me back for keeping his sorry ass out of a Tijuana jail.

11. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001

Let me guess, Quizlamic State or Quizlamic Fundamentalists was considered, but deemed too extreme?

People like durian. It's basically the same.

My impression of NY was that it's a place of contradictions. Or so I felt; you have for example, the most amazing art collection I've seen visited by the least sophisticated patrons the world could conjure up. Some really amazing food that's either too pricey for most people to enjoy; too unhealthy to eat more than once, or too generous in portion sizes to really leave you appreciating it fully. It's the city where you get the good with the bad.

Like; we got to hang out and drink, but we only got 12 seconds of vin.

12. vin

vin Chosen One star 6

Dec 16, 1999
    Sometimes all you need is just the tip.

13. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    south carolina

close your eyes and throw a dart at a map of it

14. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

Do I sound like a person that would name anything "Norfolk?" This has been ongoing for years with this pub quiz...

15. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Yes, it's a very tame attempt at a joke pub name or quiz team name. I used it once in 2003.

16. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    They have good radio

[​IMG]

Darth Punk likes this.
  17. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I like Charleston...in the winter, when I bring a lot of money with me and can park somewhere and not drive for the duration of my visit.

Columbia...add more directional signs because where the hell is the damn zoo?

heels1785 likes this.
  18. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    I think it was General Sheridan who said, "If I owned hell and Texas, I'd live in hell and rent out Texas."

19. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001

Cartagena? Bogota? Cali?

20. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    They probably have a zoo in Bogota.

21. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Wouldn't it be great if it had a really cool gay district?

22. darth_gersh

darth_gersh Force Ghost star 7

Feb 18, 2005
    Wrigley Field Chicago. A pit of humans in an actual pit.

23. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Las Vegas. When the doors of the hotel swished open, my eyes burned and I coughed slightly. The deepest recesses of my nostrils were wrenched with the foul, sulfurous stench of smoke. Be it from cigarettes or something more foul, I do not know. Everything was over-done and gaudy in its decoration, with that edge of overly-insistent happiness that people accuse McDonald's of having for children, or in denial that's just on the edge of crumbling. Then for all the crude, gauche sprawl, there was a certain meanness to everything else. A beaten down, oppressed feeling. My mind really couldn't reconcile the total lack of investment in every other part of the area--presumably meant for its actual citizens--with whomever decided that a hotel should have a roller coaster inside of it.

For all that, though, it was strange. I ended up at an International House of Pancakes. The place was fairly deserted. The waiter, though was a genuinely nice fellow. He tried manfully to make conversation, though I know I'm not the best conversationalist at times. He told me about his family and the vacation they were planning. Offered thoughts on an election that's been shocking enough that everyone keeps calling it "recent" over six months in. He made jokes about having me place some sports bets even as he actually placed sports bets. So this, I feel, was the worst part of everything. Not that the city was so thoroughly awful. But that in said awfulness, it covered a more fundamentally decent and relatable phenomenon I would have found much more appealing than having a washed up performance of Music Guy doing His Greatest Hits from Twenty Years Ago.

24. LostOnHoth

LostOnHoth Chosen One star 5

Feb 15, 2000
    Adelaide in South Australia. Biggest ***hole I've ever had the misfortune of going to and I've visited the West Bank. Plus it's full of South Australians, who are special, precious little breed of mo fos.

25. a star war

a star war Force Ghost star 5

May 4, 2016
    Do not quit your day job.

Ender Sai likes this.