main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The fourth installment of the 2004 Jedi Draft!!!

Discussion in 'Star Wars Community' started by Darth-Horax, Jul 8, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth-Horax

Darth-Horax Force Ghost star 6

Aug 22, 2001

Hello everybody,
    This is Darth-Horax,your friendly draft creator and commissioner. Until I hear otherwise, I am starting the seventh installment of the now famous draft series.

The last five drafts were won by GenMadine, Qui-Gon Jinn2, Corran10584, Gaeri, and Saber Leader.

As we all know, a TRUMP allows a team to pit two players against a random foe, giving them the upper hand in a battle. However, the next time one of the TRUMPED players numbers gets called, they automatically forfeit due to previously being used.

Ok, now it's time to signup for the draft.

I will need a total of 12 GM's and 3 judges.

Please post here if you are interested. The first people to sign up will get a spot in the draft. The first three positions in this draft automatically go to Gaeri, Saber Leader, and whoever won the Starfighter Draft. In the even that either of the three would rather judge or sit this one out, we will be filling their slots with other participants.

Even though I have been firewalled while at work, I will play as a GM this time. My team, known as the Hackers, will show you all the true meaning of the Force. Our fellow colleague, BBurditt, will reign as Commissioner during my absence. As such, he and I have spoken about some rule changes and additions to style of play. I fully endorse these changes, and will let him tell you all about them.

So without further ado, BBurditt, the reigns are yours!

Thank you.

ON WITH THE DRAFT!

The draft GM's:
    1. Darth-Horax
    2. Saber Leader
    3. Gaeri

The draft judges:

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  2. bburditt

bburditt Jedi Youngling star 5

Mar 8, 2004
    Yes, that is correct, I am commish for this draft, which means I get to type in bold!!!.

First off, I?ve noticed many people (including myself) have become quite irritated by the format of the draft.

So, with the approval of Horax himself, I have decided to make a few minor, and one major change to this draft in the hopes that it stimulates more fun and interest.

If, for whatever reason, none of these changes or innovations are clear, feel free to PM myself. I have, however tried to make this post as clear as can be.

Change # 1:

This change has to do with the actual GM vs. GM match-up and how they are played. Myself and one or two other GM?s lost a couple games in the past based on the order than the commish called the numbers. For example, lets say the commish called the numbers in the following order: 1-5-4-2-6-3, and I had a trump of Shaak Ti and Yaddle assigned to 5 and 4 respectively, and the opposing GM had Yoda in #5 and some bum like Jocasta Nu in #4. Obviously, with the order previously listed, my trump would lose to Yoda, and automatically lose to Jocasta Nu which puts me at a 0-2 loss. But if #4 were called first, I would be at 1-1.

In this draft I will attempt to cut out the random nature of the number calling, and make it more fair to every GM (winner or loser). So, normally the commish posts what GM will face what GM, the GM sends in his/her numbers and the matches commence. What I will do is start the same (with posting the GM vs. GM match-ups) but also, post the order the number will be called for the upcoming match-ups, so there is nothing random about it. I think that the GM?s knowing the order the numbers will be called before they actually assign their jedi to numbers could increase trump strategy, and make the game more interesting.

However, if in the event that it becomes impossible to call the numbers in the pre-stated order (an example of this will be given momentarily), all GM?s will be informed and the numbers for that round will be called randomly.

Example: I post that the numbers will be called in the order of 1-5-4-2-6-3. Let?s say that GM#1 and GM#2 are against each other, and let?s say GM#1 assigns a trump to #1 and #4, and GM#2 assigns a trump to #5 and #4. If I call the numbers in the order I originally said I would both trumps? auto-losses will fall on each other, making the match impossible to determine.

Change # 2:

Myself and other GM?s have expressed concern for the randomness of deciding who gets the byes in a 12 man double elimination tournament. Those of you like me who enjoy playing around with statistics and brackets know that it is impossible to have a 12 team tournament without having byes.

So I have devised a new format that I think will increase GM?s interest and enthusiasm in the game this time around. The initial drafting process will not be different whatsoever. There will still be 12 GM?s choosing 6 jedi in the same manner as before. However, after initial drafting is where the game goes different.

I will begin by randomly dividing the 12 GM?s into 2 ?conferences? of 6 teams. We will then proceed to have a round robin tournament where every GM plays every other GM in their conference once. Giving each GM 5 games in the ?regular season.? After the regular season has finished, every GM will make the ?playoffs? and they will be done in the same format as the NFL, for those who watch football.

The format is the top four teams in the regular season will automatically get a bye to the quarter finals, and the bottom eight teams in the regular season play each other in the first round. So here?s how it will go, and I did my best to try to illustrate this as I can?t draw tables in the post box. The numbers in the following chart represent the GM?s ?seed? in the regular season. ?Seed? is another word for ?ranking.?

Round 1

Game # 1

8 vs. 9

Game # 2

5 vs. 12

Game # 3

6 vs. 11

Game # 4

3. bburditt

Mar 8, 2004
    I know Janson said he wanted to be a judge this coming draft, so I will put him down.

But if for some reason Janson you can't give me the long term commitment I need, or want to be a GM with the new changes, just change yourself accordingly.

The draft GM's:
    1. Darth-Horax
    2. Saber Leader
    3. Gaeri

The draft judges:
    1. JansonYellowAces

ON WITH THE DRAFT!!!

4. SecondBest

SecondBest Jedi Youngling star 6

Jan 5, 2003
    General Managers:
    1. Darth-Horax
    2. Saber_Leader
    3. Gaeri
    4. SecondBest

Judges:
    1. JansonYellowAces

I think these new rule changes will be interesting. It might give the draft some new life (Not that it needed it, but it should be cool).

5. bburditt

Mar 8, 2004
    Thanks SB, I am excited for them!

6. SecondBest

Jan 5, 2003
    This may increase the draft's length, but I think this will be better. Heck, it will increase the draft's length.

I like the fact that someone could lose all six regular season games and still have a chance to win the whole thing.

7. ZeroPrime

ZeroPrime Jedi Youngling

Jul 8, 2004
    Can I join? I'm new here, so I don't really know what to do.

8. bburditt

Mar 8, 2004
    Yeah, that's why I like it. Gives the GM's more time to find out what works, like I already said.

Edit: OK Zero, don't worry about being new, the rules will be explained in time, read the previous drafts too.

The draft GM's:
    1. Darth-Horax
    2. Saber Leader
    3. Gaeri
    4. SecondBest
    5. ZeroPrime

The draft judges:
    1. JansonYellowAces

9. SecondBest

Jan 5, 2003
    I think now, more than ever, that team battles will matter the most. You really need to put a good cohesive team together. It will matter if the playoffs are single-elimination. I think a lot of people will hurt themselves if they mix lightsiders and darksiders.

10. bburditt

Mar 8, 2004
    Well, once I get 12 people signed up I might take a vote to see if people want double elimination playoffs, but that's hard to do, especially with the NFL format. I think single should be enough but we'll see.

Anyone else have any opinions on the new format?

11. SecondBest

Jan 5, 2003
    It's getting harder to win more than 4-3 in a match-up these days, and I think single-elimination will be the best. You already know you'll get to fight 6 times, so I think you single will be enough.

12. MoronDude

MoronDude Jedi Knight star 6

Nov 1, 2000
    The draft GM's:
    1. Darth-Horax
    2. Saber Leader
    3. Gaeri
    4. SecondBest
    5. ZeroPrime
    6. MoronDude

The draft judges:
    1. JansonYellowAces

13. PadawanEmily

PadawanEmily Jedi Master star 8

Oct 18, 2003
    The draft GM's:
    1. Darth-Horax
    2. Saber Leader
    3. Gaeri
    4. SecondBest
    5. ZeroPrime
    6. MoronDude
    7. Padawanemily

The draft judges:
    1. JansonYellowAces

14. bburditt

Mar 8, 2004
    Attaboy Moron, attaboy. But only I or Horax may type in bold! Feel my wrath!

The draft GM's:
    1. Darth-Horax
    2. Saber Leader
    3. Gaeri
    4. SecondBest
    5. ZeroPrime
    6. MoronDude
    7. PadawanEmily
    8. Talon-Kenobi

The draft judges:
    1. JansonYellowAces
    3. bburditt

EDIT: I'll sign you up now Kenobi, there's no way the SFD will be done in time.

15. Talon_Kenobi

Talon_Kenobi Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2003
    I will try this one out, but I am still in the starfighter draft. So there is still a chance, a REALLLY small chance, that I could win it. If I do win I will take the starfighter spot.

16. MoronDude

MoronDude Jedi Knight star 6

Nov 1, 2000
    I'm very excited about the changes! This is gonna be a great draft... lets just hope I get a better team, and make better choices than last draft.

It's cool to see you as commish, Burd! I know commish is a full time job, but are you planning on doing end of round synopsises and/or team farewells? That was really cool of you last draft.

[edit: About typing in bold... I was only trying to keep the aesthetic quality you started, oh leader of the drafts. I wouldn't want the thread to get ugly or anything.]

17. bburditt

Mar 8, 2004
    Lol yeah I got pretty lazy on those. Chances are I will be doing them, I have an exam on Saturday but after that I only have 3 classes left that aren't very hard.

Meaning I'll have nothing to do, meaning I'll waste my time on this ;).

18. TheForgottenJedi

TheForgottenJedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 10, 2004
    Hey, sign me up! Thanks to bburditt for letting me know.

19. bburditt

Mar 8, 2004
    Sooooooo what do I need here I need 2 GMs and a judge, not to mention I need Janson to confirm his judging status.

Some "new blood", rookies as they will constantly be called.

Some seasoned veterans, assuming the two top GMs want to play again.

Should be a good draft.

Got an e-mail from Madine also, he wants in.

The draft GM's:
    1. Darth-Horax
    2. Saber Leader
    3. Gaeri
    4. SecondBest
    5. ZeroPrime
    6. MoronDude
    7. PadawanEmily
    8. Talon-Kenobi
    9. TheForgottenJedi
    10. GenMadine

The draft judges:
    1. JansonYellowAces
    3. bburditt

ON WITH THE DRAFT

20. Suzuki_Akira

Suzuki_Akira Jedi Master star 7

May 13, 2003
    May I be a GM?

21. OBIX2

OBIX2 Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 28, 2003
    The draft GM's:
    1. Darth-Horax
    2. Saber Leader
    3. Gaeri
    4. SecondBest
    5. ZeroPrime
    6. MoronDude
    7. PadawanEmily
    8. Talon-Kenobi
    9. TheForgottenJedi
    10. GenMadine
    11. OBIX1

:D

22. bburditt

Mar 8, 2004
    The draft GM's:
    1. Darth-Horax
    2. Saber Leader
    3. Gaeri
    4. SecondBest
    5. ZeroPrime
    6. MoronDude
    7. PadawanEmily
    8. Talon-Kenobi
    9. TheForgottenJedi
    10. GenMadine
    11. Suzuki_Akira
    12. Corran10584

The draft judges:
    1. JansonYellowAces
    3. bburditt

I just need Janson to confirm, and one more judge. Lots of rookies this time around.........

EDIT: Actually... I was reading Horax's post and he said whoever won the SFD, meaning Corran gets a spot... sorry about that everyone.

23. TheForgottenJedi

TheForgottenJedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 10, 2004
    "Lots of rookies this time around........."

Gotta learn somehow. :)

24. Suzuki_Akira

May 13, 2003
    But I posted before Obix-1!

25. Suzuki_Akira

May 13, 2003
    Well, yeah, but was Obix1 guaranteed a spot somehow before posting? If not, then I should be on the GM list and he should be on backup. not 't that how it works, first to post? I'm not trying to be mean or cause an uproar or anything...but I just want my fair spot.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.