main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Fracturing of the Lit. Forum: Opinions on New Changes

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Lord Bane, Feb 24, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SECRETSISTER

SECRETSISTER Jedi Master star 8

Nov 18, 2001
    After reading all the input on the subject I, as an old newbie agree that the Authors Forum is a good idea, but Fracturing the Lit. Forum is off base. It doesn't need to be done. :l

2. Grand Admiral Wettengel

Grand Admiral Wettengel Jedi Youngling star 4

Jan 10, 2000
    Yes, Reaper is right. The fanclubs and all were clogging up the Lit Forum, thusly the EUC was created to accomodate such threads. Again, I see the Author forum as being a good idea so authors know where to go to answer questions and the like. However, the Books forum has to go--its just too general.

3. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Either I've been out of the loop or too interested in talking with fellow posters as this has passed me by.

For my own fun and games I like the freedom of Lit, I can create a thread on politics/philosophy of NJO THEN go and do something on the Prequels or something on the Dark Side and ref in all manner of SW stuff, crossing books, comics and films.

Ok, so what's in a rename? Misc implies there are specific forums. I'm not that intrigued, it's taking all I have to visit EU Community and Lit and when the Lit board is smoking with posts at the weekend...Well, you get the picture.

I'm not that sold on the authors forum, that takes away the nice surprise of having an author pop up on a thread. I like the surprise instead of thinking "I can go to X to talk to..."

Splitting books and comics, nope, that'll only increase the fractures we've got.

Plus the new forums would be open to abuse, any bunch of fools could go and spam a thread with 'we love/hate' posts or hurl abuse at an author in the forum. The mods could easily find their workload going through the roof, as all manner of little gits run riot while the rest of us look on and think: "Bang go the authors! Bang go the threads!".

Finally, I don't like the fracturing of the forum internally: We have pro and anti NJO, PT, OT, Bantam, DHC posters then there are the author differences, who likes who more, plus the specific debates: DE, VP being the most notorious, then there are medium differences of books versus comic versus film, then we have the EU/Purist and Canon/Continuity monster threads. (They frequenty become so). I cannot see this splitting preventing that from going further and hence I cannot support that. Splitting into specific forums and threads would formalise the fractures that exist in Lit internally. So long as people use a bit of thought and consideration Lit works fine as it is.

Jedi Ben

4. Jades Fire

Jades Fire Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 8, 1998
    A forum I wouldn't mind seeing is an Attack of the Clones related discussion forum. It would be a spoiler discussion about the novelization and related literature merchandise, at least until the movie has been released globally.

The novelization will come out before the movie. People are going to want to talk about it. And they might want to talk about how it relates to other EU. Everyone in the Literature forum who has spent even a smidgen of time in the Prequels forums know that some people over there HATE discussion of the EU, any EU.

Plus, the Lit forum will not be cluttered with AOTC SPOILER threads that sometimes spoil just from the subject heading: Owen and Ben are brothers; Owen and Ben aren't brothers; etc. If you want to be AOTC spoiled, then you have to go to a separate Lit forum to do it.

Anyone who was around during TPM know how stifling the no TPM spoiler policy was for the Lit forum.

5. Dewlanna Solo

Dewlanna Solo Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 31, 1999
    Like Jedi Ben, I've been out of the loop too much. I just now found out about possibly splitting the lit forum (again). I didn't care for the first split, I think it has helped to fracture fandom almost as much as the NJO has. I can't see that further dividing of the lit forum will do anything but divide the fans still more.

I know there are intelligent discussions going on in lit that I don't see because I don't have the time to check both the lit forum and the EU Community forum. My voice isn't being heard in these discussion because I don't have time to go searching for them. I can't imagine ever getting to any good discussions if they could be in THREE other forums, not just one other.

I didn't have time to read over 100 posts, so this may have been said before.
    How can you possibly make "books" a separate forum? How could we discuss Luke in VotF without discussing his actions in DE (a comic book)? Would any discussion of Luke and Mara in VP have to totally ignore their wedding since it is only in Union (another comic book)?
    Don't you think comic book fans and novel fans are separate enough without relegating them to separate ghettos? Who's going to police this anyway?

Why do we need to separate comic and novel discussions anyway? Usually the topic titles are enough to let a potential novel poster know if a discussion is solely about Tales of the Jedi, Infinities, or whatever.

It seems to me that there is enough segregation on the boards already without having to make more forums.

6. The Gatherer

The Gatherer Jedi Youngling star 6

Aug 2, 1999
    It has been nearly 6 months since we all discussed possible changes to the forum... looking forward, does the Literature Forum need any changes?

Do you believe that the Authors & Artists Forum has been a success?!

7. LifeFORCE

LifeFORCE Jedi Youngling

May 28, 2002
    No splitting. Too many speciality forums do not always translate into activity and/or quality.

I am a part of other forum sites that are so specialized that it hurts the eyes scanning through 50 or so forums for the *specific* one in which would be the most appropriate one to post a subject in. Usually I just end up bookmarking the speciality forum in question, but the drawback to that is I rarely ever venture to other parts of the same Web site, forum or otherwise.

What would interest me, however, is closing threads that get more than 100 posts and then starting a new thread to continue the discussion. Perhaps it's just me, but any thread with more than 10 pages of contributions are hard to keep an interest in, much less get involved in. Well, unless you were among the original participants (but even then ...).

LifeFORCE

Edit: Heck. I just realized this thread is many months old. 'Twas bumped to first page by a nefarious moderator! ;-)

8. The Gatherer

Aug 2, 1999
    Hehe! Just wanting to guage opinion on where the forum is heading into the future.

9. The Gatherer

Aug 2, 1999
    As the future of the forums is currently being discussed, I think that this thread needs to be upped.

10. Grendelwulf

Grendelwulf Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 31, 1999
    I expect the foru to be the same as when I left it. That is, all literature related topics... comics, novels, etc, welcome in a single forum.

11. Dark_Terror

Dark_Terror Jedi Youngling star 1

May 26, 2002
    This place is quiet enough when it focues on everything lit. I'd hate to see how quiet it would become if it just focused on the novels.

A comic board would probaly be just as dead.

12. Soontir-Fel

Soontir-Fel Force Ghost star 5

Dec 18, 2001
    no split never again i can't go through the depression (thinks of banana split) ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHH

I'm opposed to the idea of a split.

13. Darth_Ugabuga

Darth_Ugabuga Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 3, 2002
  14. Moff_D

Moff_D Jedi Master star 5

Aug 3, 2002
    All 'literature' threads on one board seems fine to me.

15. Gandalf the Grey

Gandalf the Grey Jedi Knight star 6

May 14, 2000
    I'm against a split. But I'll let the majority decide.

16. JohnWilliamsFan

JohnWilliamsFan Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 1, 2002
    I am against the spilt. Navigation right now is good, and IMPO, splitting would make it harder to navigate...

17. Daughter_of_Yubyub

Daughter_of_Yubyub Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 8, 2002
    If the books and comics had nothing to do with each other, I'd be fine with a split. Since they're interconnected, leave the forum all together.

18. chiss_man

chiss_man Jedi Master star 6

Jul 1, 2002
    Aspects of the comics are in the books, and vice-versa. So, no split is necessary.

19. stecm

stecm Jedi Padawan star 4

May 3, 2002
    I don't see the need for the split, it'll just hog up bandwidth and cause more problems with staying on topic...

20. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    Let's put it this way. If there's a split, I'll just have to completely ignore the newfangled comics forum and post everything in the lit, and generally act as if there had been no split.

21. The Gatherer

Aug 2, 1999
  22. kowikan_monkey

kowikan_monkey Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 2, 2001
    I agree with you Mastadge. I do occasionally read comics, but I'm way more into the books.

23. The Gatherer

Aug 2, 1999
    Does everyone agree with me in saying that the Authors & Artists forum has been successful?

24. bespinct

bespinct Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 11, 2001
    Yup...I'll agree that the Art. and Auth. forum is a success. Although, I only seem to lurk there when lit is a little too slow to lurk.

As far as splitting the comics off I would refrain. I was introduced to the EU through the books. Aside from DE I didn't read or know much about other comics. I would be naive if Genghis was not able to bring them into everyday conversation in the Lit. forum. They play such a role in the EU continuety that they need to be discussed hand in hand with the novels. They clarify, enhance, and bring to life characters and stories that play minor roles in novels, but seem to have a major role in the the overall Star Wars story.

25. The Gatherer

Aug 2, 1999
    Up!

I think that this issues is about to be discussed again soon...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.