main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Reviews Books The Fresh Mint-flavored JC Lit Reviews Special: A NEW DAWN (spoilers)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by GrandAdmiralJello , Sep 22, 2014.

1. MistrX

MistrX Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2006
    It's a fine enough book, though I didn't enjoy it at the levels I did with JJM's two previous full-length novels. It has enormous upside, to be sure, with Miller's usual ensemble of original, colorful characters, all deeply and well drawn with motivations and reasons that fit their own internal logic. The common Miller tropes are here with the often funny wit, clever plans going awry, characters about whom you may have had one impression surprising you by the end, and details hidden from the audience until we're ready for a major delicious twist. In many ways, it works. It doesn't in enough ways, though, for me to take notice, which in the end makes it a pleasant enough read, but not at the transcendent level I was hoping for.

For one thing, I think it has one too many set pieces, with the second half moving from one setting to another and feeling like it should wrap things up long before it does. And perhaps this is one of my criticisms of Rebels coming through, but at times it depends too much on the opposition's incompetence for the characters to succeed. It seesaws from the protagonists needing to be bailed out by an admittedly often fun little twist to essentially two characters outwitting and defeating legions of troops and pilots. Perhaps that's a mindset I need to get back to while reading Star Wars as I remember having trouble with it when rereading the X-Wing series, but it put a damper on my enjoyment as I read this book.

In any case, it's a decent read, but not the best we've had. Solid way to start the lit-side of the new continuity, but never reaches the levels I had expected it to.

6.25/10

2. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Serviceable for its intended purpose, and well-written, but personally not very interesting to me. The rating is with a caveat that I'm doing so as my enjoyment of it as a stand-alone novel.

4/10

3. El-Elyon

El-Elyon Jedi Grand Master star 2

Feb 27, 2002
    8/10

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    As a literal new dawn of SW publishing, this book had a lot riding on it. Fortunately, it was in the ever capable hands of John Jackson Miller, and he managed to tell a story that not only fits with what came before, but reimagines just what makes a SW novel unique within the vast pantheon of sci-fi/fantasy literature.

JJM always has a knack for creating a bunch of characters who couldn’t be more different from each other, only to end up together due to wild circumstances. In the end we have a Jedi-turned-help for hire, Rebel scout, government surveillance expert, and crackpot theorist/miner all joining together working toward a common cause: Count Vidian. Each of these characters is fleshed out really well over the course of the novel, with Kanan, the former Jedi, as the main POV character. Over the course of the novel he struggles with his life as a person who always has to hide their true nature, but eventually becomes more comfortable with openly helping others, even at his own expense. Hera notices this as well, and while she sees him act the hero early on, it’s only later that she realizes just how selfless ha can actually be. Then there’s Zaluna, who finally realizes just how much of a government stooge she was and risks everything to help out the people of Gorse.

The characters almost driving the entire plot, though, are probably the least sane of the bunch. Count Vidian is the face of the Empire in this book, and he definitely seems like the type Palpatine would be quite chummy with. Taking “more machine than man” to new heights, Vidian has all the ruthlessness of the Sith as well as all their vision. His actions on Gorse seem to be typical of the Empire of late, which is why Hera is investigating him in order to make the case stronger for a future Rebellion. And then there’s Skelly, a man with infinite patience for others, even when no one has any patience for him. He initially tries to work with Vidian in order to mine Gorse’s moon more efficiently, until he realizes Vidian favors efficiency without caring about the consequences, in this instance the deaths of many miners and other civilians. He’s definitely the most unique of the characters in the book, and while the reader finds him annoying at first, once we see just how genuine he is we can’t help but empathise with the guy, which makes his ultimate fate all the more satisfying.

There are a lot of great side characters too- from Kanan’s Besalisk boss Lal Grallik and her husband, to his almost father-figure Okadiah, whose bond with Kanan makes the latter realise that he’s become too attached to Gorse and should leave before anyone comes to harm because of him. Yet, Kanan learns that the Empire doesn’t care about little details like that- its guns are indiscriminate. But Vidian isn’t the only Imperial in the book; there’s also Rae Sloan, who shows that there are plenty of pragmatic officers in the Empire’s ranks, while still being ambitious enough to survive in such a cutthroat environment. And while she never really cuts Kanan and his compatriots much slack, she does heed their wisdom when they point out that Vidian is nothing but a danger to Gorse.

Overall this was a really fun book. The characterisations are great, and the story itself is gripping. There’s plenty of good action and good humor, oftentimes mixed together, such as Skelly constantly blowing **** up. And for a prequel to the Rebels TV show this does really well at setting up one of the main aspects of the show without needing to rush toward developing that plot detail. There’s also a nice balance of the overbearing presence of the Empire in relation to the hectic days of the Clone Wars; it’s been quite a while since the war ended, so while its effects are still felt, the story is very firmly rooted in the Imperial era.

I give A New Dawn a 9.2 out of 10 for a great little adventure featuring some of the Rebels cast, and a well-fleshed out new world and supporting cast.

DarthJaceus and Jedi Ben like this.
  5. jakobitis89

jakobitis89 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 27, 2015
    An 8/10 for me, it was well written, I enjoyed every bit of it as I was reading it... but as soon as I put it down that was it, I forgot about it. It just seems... lightweight somehow, in a way that the best EU material is not. I also suspect that if I didn't already know and like Hera and Kanan from Rebels I would have got much less invested in them. Skelly was by far the most interesting character even though I worked out his eventual fate pretty early on.

6. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    See, that's interesting as I was the opposite to you.

I had no plans to watch Rebels - or rather get the DVD if it ever comes out - but became interested after reading this!

jakobitis89 likes this.
  7. jakobitis89

jakobitis89 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 27, 2015
    That is interesting. And in fairness maybe I was more blasé BECAUSE I knew them already and someone like Skelly was totally knew.

8. Stymi

Stymi Force Ghost star 4

Jan 10, 2002
    #BringBackLe....

Kidding.

I consider myself a JM fan, and I think the show is really good so far.

I just didn't love it like most seemed to have.

I thought it was just OK, and at times a little boring.

7/10

darthcaedus1138 likes this.
  9. Cheerios4u98

Cheerios4u98 Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 4, 2015
    I'd give this one a 6/10. Enjoyable, but not great.

Things I liked:
    • I love the fact that it only focused on Kanan and Hera and had absolutely zero mentions of Ezra, Sabine, Zeb, and Chopper. I like Kanan and Hera a lot. I don't like the other Rebels characters much.
    • I also love where it takes place in the timeline. This "rise of the Empire" era. It's something we haven't seen much of at all and to me it's one of the most fascinating eras to explore. I also love this about Tarkin and Lords of the Sith.
    • Skelly was a great character. Hated his guts at first but grew to love him.
    • Count Vidian was also a fascinating villain. I'd love to see more of him eventually.
    Things I didn't like:
    • Honestly, I thought it was just kind of boring. It took a long time to get interesting in my opinion. This book could have been much shorter. Probably could have been better as an hour long special episode of Rebels than a 400 page novel.
    • Kanan's characterization was mostly good but it actually felt like he was a cartoon character some of the time. I didn't feel the same about Hera. She was great throughout the entire story.
    I don't know. I just didn't love this book. But it definitely had some good things going for it. I will probably re-read this one eventually.

10. Abalore

Abalore Jedi Grand Master star 2

Oct 19, 2001
    9.5/10

I loved the book. Kanen and Hera were great, but so were JJM's creations: Skelly, Zaluna, Sloane, and Vidian. All excellent characters. I loved the setting, the story, everything. I especially like the short chapters, as it keeps the story moving at a good pace. I never really found it slow or boring at any point.

The book is a triumph! Pure and simple.

Iron_lord and Gorefiend like this.
  11. MistrX

MistrX Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2006
    Since I'm posting reviews, might as well update this one:

205.95/24 = 8.58

12. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Average Score Update (including my rating below): 214.95/25 = 8.60

--------------------------------

"There are truths, and there are legends touch with truth, and all can teach you something." -Obi-Wan Kenobi

The "origin story" for Hera, Kanan and Sloane here does a good job of sort of introducing the post-Clone Wars, established-Empire era, as well as a despicable new villain. Not only do you get the underground fighter angle you'd expect from a Rebels prequel, but it also manages to present plausible, potentially horrific destruction on a planetary (or, at least, lunar) scale WITHOUT BLOWING IT UP WITH A SUPERLASER. And the Imperial curiosity over such large scale destruction further contextualizes the willingness of people to work towards such goals (and, ultimately the Death Star itself): "It's almost worth doing just to see what would happen."

It also introduces the notion of the Empire being in a phase of extreme resource acquisition for not only the Imperial fleet but also the materials obviously needing to be funneled towards the Death Star's construction. Something that would turn out to be one of the most unifying plot threads across all of the books in this era and would run through Catalyst, Rebel Rising, Thrawn & Rogue One, just to name a few.

There's also some nice bookending elements to Kanan & Hera's relationship here, as Kanan is first drawn to her based only on her voice- while, late on in Rebels, (spoilers) he's blinded and is left only being able to hear her voice. And, somewhat fitting into that idea is Hera's comment to Zaluna that "...seeing and doing nothing is not the worst thing. The worst thing is to see and not to care.".

Good entry point to the era- it's not the top book of the era, as it does have some subplots that aren't quite as engaging 100% of the time as others, but it's still really quite a solid book (and even during the parts where it may not grab me as much, I was comepleld to keep reading due to JJM's strength of writing). And reading JJM's style here made certain to finally read Kenobi almost next (had to read Dark Disciple before TCW Season 7 came out first).

9.0/10

My personal ranking of the NU Adult Novels (so far):
    -The Last Jedi 10.0
    -Catalyst 9.5
    -Resistance Reborn 9.5
    -A New Dawn 9.0
    -Last Shot 9.0
    -Canto Bight 9.0
    -Alphabet Squadron 8.75
    -Lords of the Sith 8.5
    -The Force Awakens 8.5
    -Phasma 8.25