main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Full Text of Palpatine's Glorious Speech

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith' started by Darth_Joshy, Dec 19, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Joshy

Darth_Joshy Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 29, 2005
    I did a search and I noticed that no one had posted the full text of Palpatine's speech to the Senate when he declared the Republic an Empire. Here's the full text taken from Star Wars Insider:

Citizens of the civilized galaxy, on this day we mark a transition. For a thousand years, the Republic stood as the crowning achievement of civilized beings. But there were those who would set us against one another, and we took arms to defend of way of life against the Sepratists. In doing so, we never suspected that the greatest threat came from within.

The Jedi, and some within our own Senate, had conspired to create the shadow of Separatism using one of their own as the enemy's leader. They had hoped to grind the Republic into ruin. But the hatred in their hearts could not be hidden forever. As last, there came a day when our enemies showed their true natures.

The Jedi hoped to unleash their destructive power against the Republic by assassinating the head of government and usuring control of the clone army. But the aims of the would-be tyrants were valiantly opposed by those without elitist, dangerous powers. Our loyal clone troopers contained the insurrection within the Jedi Temple and quelled uprisings on a thousand worlds.

The remaining Jedi will be hunted down and defeated. Any collaborators will suffer the same fate. These have been trying times, but we have passed the test.

The attempt on my life has left me scarred and deformed, but I assure you my resolve has never been stronger. The war is over. The Sepratists have been defeated, and the Jedi rebellion has been foiled. We stand on the threshold of a new beginning.

In order to ensure the security and continuing stability, the Republic will be reorganized into the first Galactic Empire, for a safe and secure society, which I assure you will last for 10,000 years. An Empire that will be continue to be ruled by this august body and a sovereign ruler chosen for life. An Empire ruled by the majority, ruled by a new consitution.

By bringing the entire galaxy under one law, one language, and the enlightened guidance of one individual, the corruption that plagued the Republic in its later years will never take root. Regional governors will eliminate the bureaucracy that allowed the Separatist movement to grow unchecked. A strong and growing military will ensure the rule of law.

Under the Empire's New Order, our most cherished beliefs will be safeguarded. We will defend our ideals by force of arms. We will give no ground to our enemies and we will stand together against attacks from with or without. Let the enemies of the Empire take heed: Those who challenge Imperial resolve will be crushed.

We have taken on a task that will be difficult, but the people of the Empire are ready for the challenge. Because of our efforts, the galaxy has traded war for peace and anarchy for stability. Billions of beings now look forward to a secure future. The Empire will grow as more planets feel the call, from the Rim to the wilds of unknown space.

Imperial citizens must do their part. Join our grand star fleet. Become the eyes of the Empire by reportingsuspected insurrectionists. Travel to the corners of the galaxy to spread the principles of the New Order to barbarians. Build monuments and technical wonders that will speak of our glory for generations to come.

The clone troopers, and proudly wearing the name of Imperial stormtroopers, have tackled the dangerous work of fighting our enemies on the front lines. Many have died in their devotion to the Empire. Imperial citizens would do well to remember their example.

The New Order of peace has triumphed over the shadowy secrecy of shamful magicians. The direction of our course is clear. I will lead the Empire to glories beyond imagination.

We have been tested, but we have emerged stronger. We moved forward as one people - the Imperial citizens of the first Galactic Empire. We will prevail. Ten thousand years of peace begins today.

2. Darth_Mongoulus

Darth_Mongoulus Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 2, 2005
    Very cool, but where did you get it?

3. Adm_Thrawn

Adm_Thrawn Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 19, 2004
    Star Wars Insider. Issue # 84, I believe.

4. malcolm-darth-am-i

malcolm-darth-am-i Jedi Padawan star 4

May 21, 2005
    That is wicked awsome kool. I love this speech. Lets me finish it off.

Padme: So this is how dimocracy dies... To thunderours applause.

I have to say Palps did a great job, tricking the senate. It is truly amazing.=D=

5. Old_Zen

Old_Zen Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 18, 2005
    This entire speech mixed with cutting back and forth to extended Separtist slaughter footage would have been an awesome and welcome addition to an already legendary movie.

6. brook_33

brook_33 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 30, 2003
    that would have been sweet to have ian mcdarmid say that whole thing while in the senate, pamde and bail's coversation, anakin's slaughtering the separatists, and yoda and kenobi searching the jedi temple.

7. wcleere

wcleere Jedi Master star 3

Aug 12, 2002
    I Like.

8. Seperatist

Seperatist Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 4, 2005
    That is a very smart reference to Count Dooku, Palpatine makes it seem like Dooku never left the Jedi but just went out on a mission to destroy the Republic. Good thinking!

This whole speech just captures the Empire's ideals and determination perfectly. This makes clear that Palpatine is actually thinking he's doing the good thing.

-S-

9. voodoopuuduu

voodoopuuduu Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 22, 2004
    Darth_Joshy posted:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Jedi, and some within our own Senate, had conspired to create the shadow of Separatism using one of their own as the enemy's leader. They had hoped to grind the Republic into ruin. But the hatred in their hearts could not be hidden forever. As last, there came a day when our enemies showed their true natures.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That is a very smart reference to Count Dooku, Palpatine makes it seem like Dooku never left the Jedi but just went out on a mission to destroy the Republic. Good thinking!

Its also clever because it casts Padmes committee of 2000 in a dark light.

10. bearse

bearse Jedi Youngling

Dec 20, 2005
    This scene is great. It is edited very nicely with Darth Vader killing off the last of the seperatists and the Order 66 being carried. It pays tribute to the Godfather when Michael Corleone is dubbed Godfather while killing off the family's enemies.

11. LordNeo

LordNeo Jedi Master star 5

May 13, 2004
    awesome, I just wish the whole speach was in the movie :)

12. PrinceEspaaValorum

PrinceEspaaValorum Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 30, 2005
    Well, there again the Republic is only 1000 years old. At least in AOTC, he said, "This Republic which has stood for a 1000 years." So there is an inconsistency still remaining with Kenobi's line in ANH of the Jedi being the guardians of the Republic for 1000 generations.

Also of interest is Palp's already referring to the clonetroopers as Imperial Stormtroopers. But, it sounds like Palps is referring as the Empire and the Imperial stormtroopers already existing prior to his coronation. Good thing the Insider is a very minor corner of EU.

13. PrinceEspaaValorum

Jan 30, 2005
    Well, there again the Republic is only 1000 years old. At least in AOTC, he said, "This Republic which has stood for a 1000 years." So there is an inconsistency still remaining with Kenobi's line in ANH of the Jedi being the guardians of the Republic for 1000 generations.

Also of interest is Palp's already referring to the clonetroopers as Imperial Stormtroopers. But, it sounds like Palps is referring as the Empire and the Imperial stormtroopers already existing prior to his coronation. Good thing the Insider is a very minor corner of EU.

14. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    The Jedi have been around for a thousand generations, same for the Republic. 2,000 years prior to EP3 a war with the Sith began that lasted for a thousand years. That war ended 1,000 years before EP3 and a new republic was born out of it, or at least you can say from that point there was 1,000 years of peace which refers to Palpatine's statement. There really is no inconsistancy.

15. MasterlessPadawan-K9

MasterlessPadawan-K9 Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 13, 2005
    I fear that you forget, the Republic in the prequils is only the latest in numerous Democratic Republics in the Galaxy. And unless I'm wrong, which I probably am, the Old Republic is the shortest lived of Republics aside from the New Republic.

As to the Stormtroops, I think Palps renamed them in that speach, if not earlier that day.

16. MasterlessPadawan-K9

MasterlessPadawan-K9 Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 13, 2005
    AH! There you go, thanks Vader! Ya beat me to it.

17. PrinceEspaaValorum

Jan 30, 2005
    If the Republic which stood for 1000 years is the Old Republic, then what do we call the previous versions? One argument advanced many moons ago was the Galactic Republics were like the 5 French Republics. Fair enough, but have the Essential Chronology, EU, and/or OS detailed this? If not, inconsistencies remain. As for the Sith War that you obtained either from the TPM novelization or elsewhere, it is not canon--yet. The reason I say "yet" is not to dispute the canonicity of TPM novelization in toto, but GL's recent remarks of the Sith ruling the Galaxy could mesh with this novel--then again, it could contradict it. So, we'll have to wait until GL and/or EU flesh everything out. Do hope the rumors of a prequel to the PT (perhaps on TV) turn out to be true--this is where a young Yoda help overthrow the Sith and establish the Old Republic. In the long run, I am sure all the inconsistencies will be worked out, everything will be harmonized, and we will have peace. Until then, onscreen the inconsistency still remains.

18. DARTHGRIEGO89

DARTHGRIEGO89 Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 13, 2005
    The Galactic Empire is now underway.
    Good Find.

19. voodoopuuduu

voodoopuuduu Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 22, 2004
    If the Republic which stood for 1000 years is the Old Republic, then what do we call the previous versions?

Older Old Republics. :D

20. uwishuwereme

uwishuwereme Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 20, 2005
    The line is "So this is how liberty dies with thunderous applause"

21. PalpatineAntikristos

PalpatineAntikristos Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 6, 2002
    It is indeed glorious. Hail the Emperor!

22. GrievousKiller

GrievousKiller Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 20, 2005
    isnt it like a combination of the two like "So this is how democracy dies....With thunderous applause"

23. DINVADER_RETURNS

DINVADER_RETURNS Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 10, 2003
    http://starwars.wikicities.com/wiki/The_Republic

Read here about how old THE REPUBLIC is..

24. darth_ral

darth_ral Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 9, 2004
    did they actually film footage of the entire speach, or did they only film what they cut it down to. as someone mentioned earlier, this would be a great opportunity for an extended speech/slaughtering/temple searching scene all in one.

25. Lord_Hydronium

Lord_Hydronium Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 11, 2002
    That full speech was never intended to be in the movie. It was created just for the Holonet News article. Dan Wallace mentions in his blog that they actually forgot to include the lines from the novelization.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.