main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The full trailer - 3NS'ers may want to avoid it if they can

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith (Non-Spoilers)' started by Garth Maul, Feb 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. obi1jedinite

obi1jedinite Jedi Grand Master star 2

Oct 20, 2002
    yeah that figures. well, guess ill be setting my vcr to record next thursday. i wont give them the satisfaction of me watching that show. i wont! [face_mischief]

2. Mace Windy

Mace Windy Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 3, 1999
    I definitely agree with you GARTH. The fact that they are not giving Hyperspace members an exclusive look is appalling. Tell me, how much of our $39.99 can we actually say was well-spent? It seems like there is only ever a decent update on that site once or twice a week.

[face_frustrated] Mace Windy,
    too windy for spoilers!

3. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    Like I said, I understand there was no contractual guarantee that we would get the first look at the trailer, but it was certainly implied.

And there really is no reason they couldn't pay lip service to their fanbase and update the OS normal time with the trailer, then show it on the O.C. a few hours later.

Of course it's not a huge deal, it's just the (lack of) principle in the whole deal.

4. Mace Windy

Jul 3, 1999
    I also don't think that it would be too much to ask to be able to download the "Extra Large" trailer from the get-go.

:cool: Mace Windy,
    too windy for spoilers!

5. Garth Maul

May 18, 2002
    Now you're just talking crazy.[face_talk_hand]

[face_laugh]

6. kingthlayer

kingthlayer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 7, 2003
    Yeah, I agree.. I'm not paying for Hyperspace but I can see why it would be upsetting.

I think I'm just gonna try and avoid the trailer. I read a lot of the description at MF but I'm going through the process of erasing it from my mind. It's kinda hard. :(

7. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    I think that allowing the general public to see the trailer before Hyperspace members is complete crap. Though my main intent with subscribing was to get the Insider that I was already buying off the newsstand, this makes me feel ripped off.

Having ranted about that, I am going to watch the ROTS trailer. Any feelings I had about the AOTC trailers revealing too much was completely evaporated when I saw the film. There was so much more there that I did not feel I had been spoiled at all. I am going to continue to trust Lucasfilm not to reveal too much as they have not let me down yet.

8. Garth Maul

May 18, 2002
    Exactly, Strilo.

I find once the film starts, I really get into the whole "suspension of disbelief" and forget pretty much e[face_thinking]verything I knew going in anyway.

9. muymaul

muymaul Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 24, 1999
    The only reason that I can think of the OS not showing the trailer in HS is that it would be all over the net in minutes. Therefore, not as many people would watch the OC. This certainly feels more like Fox asking that the OS waits so they can try and get a rating's bump.

Regarding the trailer, I will definately watch it. I just can't resist! However, after that, I am going to try to go into a shut down mode regarding SW's information. My only worry is that I will start to connect some dots after watching the trailer, but I know there is no way I won't watch it. Seriously, this is the last time we will get to watch a SW movie trailer. Being such a big fan, I just can't pass that up. For me, this will only elevate my excitement for ROTS, even if it does reveal some things.

10. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
  11. Mace Windy

Jul 3, 1999
    Thanks for providing that link, Stril. I've sent them the following message:

I find it appalling that, even after shelling 39.99 for a Hyperspace account, Hyperspace members are not being treated to an exclusive premier of the Revenge of the Sith trailer. I understand how marketing works, and I understand that Fox is attempting to bring new audiences to its hit show The O.C. In this instance, however, I feel that the Star Wars fans are being slighted. Prior to its premier on Fox television, Hyperspace members deserve the opportunity to see the eagerly anticipated Revenge of the Sith trailer in its full "Extra-Large" format. We've put our hard earned money into our subscriptions for such exclusive perks. I know that I am not the only fan who is bitterly disappointed by your decision.

too windy for spoilers!

12. Garth Maul

May 18, 2002
    This was my message:

Couldn't you at least pay lip service to your loyal fans by allowing Hyperspace first crack at the new trailer? I realize we're only talking about a couple of hours difference between the premiere on the O.C. and the Hyperspace premiere, but it's more the principle of what's happening. I don't understand why you couldn't update the OS at the usual time with the trailer for Hyperspace users, and then still premiere the trailer on the O.C. SW fans are going to watch the O.C. anyway, even if they've already seen the trailer online; it will be on a bigger screen and might even be better quality than the Hyperspace premiere.

And fans of the O.C. aren't going to know or care if Hyperspace members received access to the trailer a couple of hours before.

Considering how loyal Star Wars fans are, especially in the face of the bashing the Prequel Trilogy has received in the media and by the general public, it's a slap in the face to realize that LFL is, at heart, a money-making machine that will take any opportunity it can to increase the market.

Don't get me wrongo - I understand the logic of the O.C. premiere - but it could have happened with Hyperspace first, and then no one would have anything to complain about.

We are the people that go to see the movies 10 times in the theatre. We lineup for the midnight opening show. We buy Hyperspace memberships, purchase tons of toys and other products, and tolerate the over-merchandizing of Darth Vader. We defend Star Wars to the death. We are the fans.

SIncerely,
    Dustin J. Tkachuk

13. Blackout

Blackout Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 7, 2000
    Well said, you two [face_mischief].

Being in the UK, I'll be getting it in the middle of the night anyways, so I've got to admit it won't affect me as much in 'practical' terms. But the principle bugs me as much as the idea of Hyperspace, yes (although I 'accepted' it in the end :( ).

I guess it's just all about the money.

{||||| ?||} -----------------------------

14. Obi_Frans

Obi_Frans Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 31, 2003
    This is all a matter of hours?

While i understand the dissatisfaction, you're kind of overdoing it imo. You're both saying that "it wouldn't matter" if it had been released on Hyperspace first....so what's all the hubba about? Subscribing to Hyperspace, while cool or whatever, doesn't make you any more of a fan, or more "loyal", than anyone, really. I can understand that the money you put, and keep putting, in there gives you a certain 'right' to get more than the average joe - but this is all pretty unnecessary, considering that again; it's a matter of hours.

What about children who cannot subscribe to Hyperspace, or people who simply cannot afford to put money into such a 'thing' - are they any less deserving of seeing the trailers premiere than HS'ers?

If anything, doesn't airing it on tv where a lot more fans can see it than HS prove that their concern lies in the majority of the audience?

I go to the movies multiple times, i buy products, i support any Episode in any argument, i tolerate the blatant merchandizing of Vader for Episode III, i defend Star Wars to the death......but i'm not subscribed to Hyperspace. Does that make me less of a fan?

I don't even live in America, it won't be aired on tv, movies (with the trailer attached) will premiere later over here etc etc. The only way i could possibly watch the trailer even the same day as you all would be to either move to America or subscribe, both of which can only be solved by spending money. And people are now crying foul because they have to watch it a few hours earlier than they feel they should?

C'mon now...

- O_F, who has hated Hyperspace since it's very first appearance

15. obi1jedinite

Oct 20, 2002
    very well put Obi_Frans.

not shelling out cash for "exclusive info" that never should have cost anything to start with doesnt make anyone less of a fan.

16. Mace Windy

Jul 3, 1999
    I don?t think that there was anything in the post made by either GARTH or I which implied that we believe, as Hyperspace members, that we are ?more of a fan? than those who do not have a subscription.

You mentioned that you?ve hated Hyperspace from the beginning. Didn?t we all. I don?t think that there is a fan among us who does not find it appalling that Lucasfilm would charge its fan base for ?exclusives? or ?insider material.? In fact, I was so disgusted that I didn?t buy a Hyperspace account for the longest time. I only decided to make a purchase once it came time to register for Celebration III. Why? I was led to believe that, as a person who intended to attend the Celebration, I needed to have a Hyperspace account in order to partake in all of the activities. Lucasfilm advertised as if it were imperative that I had one ? that my experience would be limited if I didn?t. It wasn?t until later that I discovered exactly what my ?benefit? for the Celebration was. As a Hyperspace member, I would be allowed to enter the convention center a whole hour before those who did not have a subscription. Big whoopidy-whoo?.

So, I felt - and still do feel - hosed. I certainly did not get my $39.99 worth as it pertains to Celebration, my original reason for buying a ticket, nor did I get my money?s worth from the website?s meager content. I am not saying that I deserve to see the trailer before either of you deserve to see the trailer, but I am saying that I paid Lucasfilm $39.99 for ?exclusive benefits? and what I have received is not adequate. They essentially took our money and did not deliver what they promised.

To make a promise and not deliver is one thing, but to make a promise and not even try is another. As GARTH mentioned, this really feels like a slap in the face to all of us who paid this money. Yes, we will be able to view the trailer on Hyperspace a few hours after it is premiered on the O.C., but it is the principle of the thing that bothers us. You talk about how putting the trailer on TV first is a great way to get to allow children, people who cannot afford Hyperspace accounts and Star Wars fans who were too smart not to purchase one, to watch the trailer and expand their audience. However, I don?t exactly see it this way.

While your thoughts are noble, Lucasfilm and Fox are trying to pry some money from you as well. I guess they figure that they couldn?t dupe you into paying for a Hyperspace account, so why not try duping you into giving one of their flagship programs, The O.C., more ratings, and therefore, more money from advertisers.

It is clear to me through this situation that whoever made this decision about the trailer does not care about Hyperspace members, nor do they care about Star Wars fans who do not have Hyperspace accounts. They care only for themselves and their fat pocket books. Good for you two guys for not making them any fatter.

too windy for spoilers!

17. arrowheadpodracer

arrowheadpodracer Jedi Master star 5

Apr 9, 2002
    Have you ever had to save up, or break your bank to buy really good seats to a concert or something, only to wind up sitting next to someone who didnt even pay for those seats?

Thats kinda how I feel about this.

What about children who cannot subscribe to Hyperspace, or people who simply cannot afford to put money into such a 'thing' - are they any less deserving of seeing the trailers premiere than HS'ers?

Well, IMO - Yes.
    If you pay to see the exclusive premier, you "deserve" to see it more than someone who didnt pay. (I know it wasnt exactly promised, but thats not quite my point anyway.)
    Maybe "deserve" is a harsh choice of word, but...
    To me thats kinda like asking:

"What about children who cannot pay for the cost of a movie ticket - are they any less deserving of seeing the movie than someone who just paid?"

Of course. Get those little grubs out of here. :p

Money makes the world go around.

...But not if the money comes from me. Then you'll get no results whatsoever. ;)

slight topic change-
    Maybe we should all consider this,
    If they think they'll make more from showing the trailer during the OC than they make off HS members, then OC is basically the highest bidder. Once again, money talks.

18. Garth Maul

May 18, 2002
    Yeah, but once again, it would cost them NOTHING to put the trailer on Hyperspace first. Obviously anyone who is willing to pay $40 for a bunch of crap (in general) and some interesting webdocs will check out the trailer by any means possible.

As a matter of fact, they could have made the Hyperspace trailer premiere a few days before the O.C., in extra-large format, then maybe they'd sucker a few more people into buying HS memberships.

Then they can show the trailer we've been waiting for for 30 years to O.C. fans who may or may not know that a Star Wars movie is coming out this year.

Is this a big deal in my life? No. Will I be able to sleep at night? Yes.

It's the principle of the thing. We get one message from the Star Wars films themselves, then another from LFL. But that's business, and I understand why they're doing it.

I'll also just note that LOTR fans weren't subjected to this.

As I said in the 3SA thread, there's not much more to discuss on this issue, for me at least. Either you're upset or you're not, life goes on, the trailer will rock.

19. Obi_Frans

Jul 31, 2003
    We are the fans.

That's what sparked my "fan" response, because i don't know if "we" only pertains to HS-members, since that was mentioned bforehand.

As for Hyperspace, i've never known the specifics of it's usefulness or whatever - but from what i can read, you were never "actually" promised a earlier viewing of the full Episode III trailer. And unless you do, i still don't see why "that" particular incident would spark all of this - now that you bring up all the other stuff i can see why you would feel deprived/duped. But i still don't think that the privileges to viewing this trailer is anything to get so firy about. The CIII and other stuff, well i don't'know that much about all of that so i don't want to comment on that - but from what it seems i would definitely feel royally screwed if i was you.

I guess they figure that they couldn?t dupe you into paying for a Hyperspace account, so why not try duping you into giving one of their flagship programs, The O.C., more ratings, and therefore, more money from advertisers.

I don't even live in America so they're not duping me at all. But i still don't understand why all of this fuss is being made about the trailer, especially because what you said about the CIII and the other stuff all sounds alot worse than this.

If you pay to see the exclusive premier, you "deserve" to see it more than someone who didnt pay.

What about those who couldn't?

Without getting into too much personal specifics, i simply can not afford to spend 40 dollars a month on Hyperspace - even if i really wanted to. And i'm sure there are other SW fans who share that situation. If you say "Money makes the world go around", then why even get mad at Lucasfilm/Fox for this? - Money makes the world go around, right?

Unless the terms of signing up for Hyperspace specifically include a "exclusive premiere of full Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith trailer", i really don't see what the fuss is about.

I could see this just being the tip of an iceberg full of complaints/dissatisfactions over Hyperspace, but your emails specifically adressed the trailer - that i just find overdone.

I'll also just note that LOTR fans weren't subjected to this.

Huh?

- O_F

20. arrowheadpodracer

arrowheadpodracer Jedi Master star 5

Apr 9, 2002
    Is this a big deal in my life? No. Will I be able to sleep at night? Yes.

It's the principle of the thing.

...life goes on, the trailer will rock.

Indeed.

21. obi1jedinite

Oct 20, 2002
    windy - in response to your post:

i just wanted to make it clear that my post wasnt directed at you or garth, and i know neither of you think you are better fans than anyone else. mostly i was just directing it towards lucusfilm and fox, for making it seem like those fans who pay for their info are better than those who dont.

22. Obi_Frans

Jul 31, 2003
    Yeah i despise the division Hyperspace creates between the fanbase, i'm not pointing fingers or anything - but if there was/is one thing we don't need in this day & age it's further divisions/estrangements amongst ourselves.

Although it does help with sorting out the threads in here ;)

- O_F

23. Garth Maul

May 18, 2002
    We're not discussing breach of contract here. I don't care that LFL never specifically said we'd get the trailer first, it was certainly implied, especially by "exclusive video content."

And when I was saying "we are the fans" (keep in mind this was a message to the OS, not 3NS members;)), I should have been more clear - I meant people that visit the OS and purchase the HS memberships at $40 per year (not month) are clearly FANS of Star Wars, whilst who knows whether or not the vast majority of O.C. audience members are SW fans?

All they had to do was release the Hyperspace trailer first, I really don't see how it would affect their O.C. plans at all. It might just be lip service, because we're still only talking about hours here, but that's important to some people.

And what's wrong with allowing people who paid $40 per year (and had to get an Insider membership even if they didn't want it) to see the trailer before everyone else?

The AOL connection and the O.C. connection takes away from the "exclusivity" that Hyperspace offers.

They whine and complain about piracy of LFL material, but it's hard to listen to their plaintive cries when they put the [face_money_eyes][face_money_eyes] first.

I don't even want to get into the international situation...they're obviously pandering to an American audience.

24. Charth_Maul

Charth_Maul Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 5, 2001
    If I didn't watch the teaser, there's no way I'm watching this one.

It's going to be a long three months.

25. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Garth just said it exactly how I feel. It's not a question of breach of contract. It's more the principle. I was able to join the Fan Club because I had the money. Members of a fan club get special privaleges. That's why they join. As a member of the Pearl Jam fan club I get sent a single every year with a song that no one outside the fan club gets. I get special seating at a concert. Sure I pay the same for my ticket as someone else does, but because I am a member of the fan club, my money gets me closer to the band.

Likewise, the money I spent on Hyperspace should get me the ability to be a little closer to the SW band... I should be able to see these web docs first. I should be able to see these exclusive ROTS pics. And I should be able to see the ROTS trailer before anyone else. I am a member of the fan club and that's why I paid for it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.