main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Fun of Marvel

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Genghis12, Oct 22, 2000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Muke_Skywalker

Muke_Skywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 9, 2000
    The Marvel Comics are the official Lucas approved way things happened. Right after the Marvel adaptation of ANH was finished the editor of the Marvel series and the writer Roy Thomas had a big meeting with George Lucas and Mark Hamill in an attempt to hammer out the continuuing course of the series.

It was also stated in a recent issue of the Star Wars Gamer that the Marvel Series is considered a part of the Continuity by both Lucasfilm and Wizards of the Coast, and Marvel stuff will be finding its way into the newer stuff.

And it stated in the Essential Chronology that the Marvel stuff happened as well.

And I am pleased, the Marvel stuff is great and it is finally getting the proper respect it deserved.

2. TalonCard

TalonCard •Author: Slave Pits of Lorrd •TFN EU Staff star 5 VIP

Jan 31, 2001
    Untill now.

TC

3. Kenneth-Morgan

Kenneth-Morgan Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 6, 2000
    Still, even if the Marvel series is finally considered "canon" by Lucasfilm, I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for Jaxxon to appear in the NJO.

Then, again, maybe that wouldn't be too bad an idea...

4. RabidWolfe

RabidWolfe Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 19, 1999
    Of course, after Jar-Jar and the Ewoks (both of which I actually liked - so sue me), I don't see how anyone can complain about Jaxxon.

5. Muke_Skywalker

Muke_Skywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 9, 2000
    Jaxxon was kewl, he just looked dumb.

6. Binary_Sunset

Binary_Sunset Force Ghost star 5

Oct 28, 2000
    Muke Skywalker asked: "What's the address to the Marvel Comics SW site?"

Is this the one you mean?
    http://www.geocities.com/Hollywood/Trailer/7053/marvel.html

Wonderful sight.

7. DarthHomer

DarthHomer Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2000
    What was the deal with that humanoid Jabba that appeared in the comic? Obviously, Lucas hadn't decided Jabba was a slug back then, but I heard someone explain it away as Jabba having an actor stand in for him at public events :)

8. Valiento

Valiento Jedi Knight star 7

Mar 19, 2000
    It's mosep jabba's security guard, see the CCG card for mosep, and the official encyclopedia.

he is a nimbanese. given direct rights by jabba, he let it go to his head so he calls himself jabba the hut, only 1 t.

Han obviosly knows it he just plays with mosep's games.

9. Kenneth-Morgan

Jul 6, 2000
    Another cool Marvel moment:

Remember the story set on the Takin? It was published just after the TESB adaptation.
    I liked the idea of the group of Imperial officers conspiring to kill Vader. Actually, it makes sense; as was expressed in the story, Vader had knocked off a bunch of the officer corps. Plus, they looked down on him as a civilian who'd been unfairly put in a position of authority.
    Best of all, though, was the way Vader escaped the attempt on his life. A great example of Sith power.

Actually, I wouldn't mind seeing some future book dealing with a "Day of the Jackal"-style plot against Vader. Sure, he'd survive, but it'd be interesting to see how the assassin gets.

10. DarthHomer

Apr 29, 2000
    I like that idea!

11. DarthHomer

Apr 29, 2000
  12. Kenneth-Morgan

Jul 6, 2000
    Another fun Marvel moment:

Remember in the first post-ROTJ issue when Han walks into the Falcon's cockpit? He nostalgically notices the dice hanging from the ceiling, thinking about how he won the Falcon with them.

While that's non-canonical (he now know Han won her at sabacc), it was fun to have those dice mentioned. (They're briefly seen in ANH when Chewie first enters the cockpit.) I like the idea of those dice; they give the Falcon more character.

If only they were fuzzy...

13. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    He did win the falcon (including a pair of dice with it) playing sabbac, no error their from what I can see.

14. Commander Antilles

Commander Antilles Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 21, 1999
    Marvel had some great characters!
    Apart from Lady Lumiya (nuff said), there was Lord Flint and Admiral (later Lieutenant) Giel.

I always loved the part in Screams in the Void, right after Luke has blown up the Teezl creature, when an officer says "There's the slimer who blasted us!" and Giel answers "Now, now, Malky. No need to get excited. Just have our TIEs launch, hunt him down, and BRING ME HIS HEAD!!!"
    Oh, and let's not forget that part in one comic (forget the name) when Giel is watching the X-wings leave, and thinking:
    "Hmmm.....an impossible shot. A moving fighter at 300 yards away at least. And besides, petty acts of spite never do any good."
    He then whips his blaster out and fires a shot at Luke's X-wing, hitting an engine. He then heads for his transport, commenting that "I'm loathe to admit it, but I do feel a little better."

Classic stuff! :)

15. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    ya,

http://www.starwars.com/401/comic.html

Go marvel!!!!!!!!!!!!

16. DarthHomer

Apr 29, 2000
    I've got up to about issue 50 now. I agree that it's great leading the old letters pages, too. I think one fan guessed that "the other" Yoda spoke of was Leia. Most of the others seemed to think it would be Luke's son! :)

17. Genghis12

Genghis12 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 1999
    Neat additions to the official site. Thanks for pointing them out, Valiento! Good to have them spotlight the Marvel comic.

18. Kenneth-Morgan

Jul 6, 2000
    A while back, I bought a paperback featuring some Marvel stories that previously had only been published in England. The stories were quite good. One item in one story caught my interest; it showed the rest of the story behind the whole "Chewie's medal" debate. Personally, I've always preferred the Marvel explanation over the others that have cropped up.

Anyone else seen this story?

19. Binary_Sunset

Binary_Sunset Force Ghost star 5

Oct 28, 2000
    I've never heard of it, Kenneth-Morgan. What book is this? Do you have an ISBN? I might be interested in purchasing a copy.

20. Kenneth-Morgan

Jul 6, 2000
    TO:Binary_Sunset

It's titled simply "Star Wars", published in 1981 by Marvel Illustrated Books. The ISBN number is 0-9604146-8-1.

Good luck finding a copy.

21. Genghis12

Nov 18, 1999
    Strange. England gets some neat stuff. Are the stories comic-based or prose?

If their comic-based I may be able to help finding what they're from. England had several series we didn't get like SW Weekly and the original source of the "Devilworlds" series.

22. Kenneth-Morgan

Jul 6, 2000
    They're paperback re-prints of stories from the British "Star Wars Weekly" series.

23. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    Then they are a devilworld's series. Sometimes cool stories, but all are considered non-continuity by lucasfilm.

24. DarthHomer

Apr 29, 2000
    make mine marvel!

25. Genghis12

Nov 18, 1999
    I for one am glad things like Star Wars Gamer are showing new generations of SW fans how fun Marvel can be.

In a recent thread asking what was your first introduction to SW Lit, it seems that Marvel introduced many of us to the Star Wars expanded universe. It's good to see LFL return the favor by reintroducing it to so many more.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.