main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga The Funniest Moment in the Saga...

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by d_arblay, Jun 24, 2013.

1. Sam Jordan

Sam Jordan Jedi Youngling

Jul 6, 2013
    I think I remember Kershner in the commentary saying this was an old joke but a funny one. Why I liked his directorial styles- had that humour and levity that Lucas sometimes misses.

DarthKreVass likes this.
  2. DarthKreVass

DarthKreVass Jedi Grand Master star 3

Dec 27, 2008
    Would it help if I got out and pushed?

It might!

3. FRAGWAGON

FRAGWAGON Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    Anakin Skywalker: I think he's a she... and I think she's a Changeling.
    Obi-Wan Kenobi: In that case be extra careful.

Probably just me, but I always laugh out loud at that one....bit of a joke about the danger of women?

4. d_arblay

d_arblay Jedi Master star 4

May 26, 2005
    Indeed. One of Lucas' funniest lines.

5. Cryogenic

Cryogenic Force Ghost star 5

Jul 20, 2005
    Misogyny's a riot. :p

Especially Jedi misogyny.

But yes, it probably is. And Obi-Wan trying to sound more worldly-wise than he, perhaps, is.

One of my funniest moments in the saga:

Threepio innocently saying to Han, as he boards the Millennium Falcon in ANH, "Hello, sir"...

...and Han's clenched response.

Hilarious. And it marks the beginning of a classic double-act.

6. Carbon1985

Carbon1985 Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 23, 2013
    I posted this one earlier as this is what I call 'Classic Han Solo' at his best.

DarthDuckie and Cryogenic like this.
  7. Cryogenic

Cryogenic Force Ghost star 5

Jul 20, 2005
    Sorry, I might have skimmed it.

I did intend to do a bit of a quoting session, to acknowledge various entries in this thread.

Some very good choices -- there are lots I might call my favourite.

Definitely some "Classic Han Solo" in that moment.

I'm glad they capitalized on this early odd-couple bond by giving Han and Threepio a lot more time together in TESB and ROTJ.

And I think it's a good demonstration of the clever way the saga handles iconic character meetings; some are very bold and brash, while others are perfectly understated.

Lots to like and enjoy here. On multiple levels.

Sarge and Carbon1985 like this.
  8. d_arblay

d_arblay Jedi Master star 4

May 26, 2005
    "Not entirely stable?" and everything that follows :)

Luke Skyquacker and Carbon1985 like this.
  9. StampidHD280pro

StampidHD280pro Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2005
    "Finish the race, of course" - Kitster

Luke Skyquacker and minnishe like this.
  10. Carbon1985

Carbon1985 Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 23, 2013
    "Not entirely stable? I'm glad you're here to tell us these things.
    Chewie, take the professor in the back and plug him into the hyperdrive."

[face_laugh][face_laugh][face_laugh]

11. Randwulf Crescentmoon

Randwulf Crescentmoon Jedi Master star 4

May 25, 2013
    To sum it up, I’d say the banter. Whether it’s Han and Leia, R2 and 3PO, Obi-Wan and Anakin, etc. the witty remarks and/or exchanges between the characters are priceless.

I would also have to go with the clumsiness of Jar Jar and 3PO. It is fun to watch their characters go through situations in ways that Han, Luke or Leia wouldn’t, and act as only 3PO and Jar Jar would. Then, somehow, amazingly they overcome whatever obstacle is placed in front of them through unforeseen circumstances or accidental coincidences. Those little nuances sprinkled throughout the story are brilliant, in my opinion.

kainee, minnishe and d_arblay like this.
  12. FRAGWAGON

FRAGWAGON Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    "Hello, boyos" always gets a laugh out of me. Something about the astromechs swinging their heads around like, "...the hell?"

atouchofanarchy and minnishe like this.
  13. HylianBowcaster

HylianBowcaster Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 6, 2011
    Of all the films, I've always thought that ANH has the most funny moments. Although now that I think about it the AotC scene with Elan and Obi Wan is pretty good. But if we include the deleted scenes I'm going to say the scene deleted from Revenge of the Sith right before Anakin and Obi Wan get on the elevator in the beginning and Anakin is talking to R2 on the communicator. When Anakin and Obi Wan try to decipher R2's beeps Anakin makes a perfect impression of R2, I don't think it would have ever made it into the final film, but it was ridiculous enough to be funny.

kainee likes this.
  14. GrimStride

GrimStride Jedi Youngling

Jul 19, 2013
    Any scene where c3-po is annoying Han. Like in tesb

C3-P0 : I believe sir , it says that the power coupling has been polarized .I'm afraid you're gonna have to replace it
    Han :Well of course i'll have to replace it !
    Han to Chewie : Chewie i think we better replace the power coupling [face_laugh]

15. Ord-Mantell70

Ord-Mantell70 Jedi Master star 3

Mar 9, 2009
    That black Ewok briefly combing Chewie's hair in the AT-ST in ROTJ...Really good.

The other one stealing and akwardly riding the speeder-bike to make a diversion as well.

Chewie, C3PO and Solo's reaction when Leia kisses Luke in ESB. Especially 3PO's baffled expression...Turning the head back and forth. [face_laugh]

16. Poor Greedo

Poor Greedo Jedi Master star 2

Nov 6, 2012
    Was a boring conversation anyway!

“I'm just a simple man, trying to make my way in the universe.” – Jango Fett

Sarge likes this.
  17. Krusty the Clone

Krusty the Clone Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 13, 2013
    Han trying to blow the fire out

Jania_Solo12 and Sarge like this.
  18. Samnz

Samnz Jedi Grand Master star 3

Sep 4, 2012
    I rarely laugh my head off, so it's more about a good smile than a cheap laugh for me.

I've always been entertained by this:
    I like about it that Obi-Wan's response is also meant as a joke within the context of the film. Most "funny moments" are explicitly wrtitten for the audience while this one is just a chraming random joke by the character. I also like it because it's one of that few light and almost naive moments in ROTS, which is a really depressing movie, just a few scenes before the same Clone Trooper will turn on Obi-Wan.

This is another one of my favourite:
    Luke is already acting like superstar in that scene, so I it was amusing to see him beeing brought back down to earth.

kainee and Ananta Chetan like this.
  19. anakincol

anakincol Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2009
    I was rereading the ROTS novel(based of an earlier draft of the script) and there is one funny moment on Utapau that I would have loved for them to keep.

Cody- "I believe you dropped this sirr" Cody Hands Obi-wan his lightsaber
    Obi-wan:" Thank you Cody" Don't mention this to Anakin
    Obi-wan and Boga go up the cliff, Cody receives Order 66 message from Palps.
    Cody:"Would it have been too much to ask for the order to have come before I gave him back the Bloody lightsaber...?"

I like that last bit as the Clones in the film just seem to go a bit robotic when the order is given.

20. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
    One thing that makes that scene even funnier is Luke, in the background, desperately trying not to burst out laughing.

21. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    Pssh. That made the scene.

Oh, my goodness, I want to see this. I don't recall it in my deleted scenes, is it Blu-Ray only? Can you provide a link?

kainee likes this.
  22. Ananta Chetan

Ananta Chetan Force Ghost star 5

Aug 11, 2013
    Well, maybe not the funniest, but I still love the General's deadpan delivery from TESB...

Solo: General, I gotta leave, I can't stay anymore.

General: I'm sorry to hear that.

Solo: Well, there's a price on my head. If I don't pay off Jabba the Hutt, I'm a dead man.

General: A death-mark is not an easy thing to live with.

kainee likes this.
  23. Allana_Rey

Allana_Rey Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    "Die, Jedi, die! Oh...What did I just say?"

kainee likes this.
  24. Darth Eddie

Darth Eddie Jedi Master star 4

May 14, 2013
    I gotta give special props to ROTS and Yoda knocking out the two red guards before the battle in the senate chamber. We've been waiting to see the red dudes in action since 1983, and as soon as they get their chance, it's over. It's so smack in the middle of so much darkness and chaos that it just gets a huge laugh out of me every time.

The humor in the OT isn't actually that funny if you think about it - just a lot of cheap one-liners really. They only get funny after you've heard em a billion times and pondered their ridiculousness.

And additionally, the AOTC line "If this chase keeps up any longer that creep is gonna end up deep-fried." - which PROVES the existence of deep fryers in a galaxy far, far away.

kainee, d_arblay and darth ladnar like this.
  25. Darth Gartin

Darth Gartin Jedi Padawan star 1

Sep 2, 2013
    Waddo asking Qui-Gon if he thinks he's some kind of Jedi or something.

kainee and Samnz like this.