main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series The FUNNY side of The Clone Wars!

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by darth_mccartney, Mar 28, 2014.

1. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I think that droid line was one of the funniest in the show. Definitely the funniest part of the bonus content, next to Anakin punching Clovis.

Mage Sentron and Revanfan1 like this.
  2. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
    Study the bottom of my boot.

3. Mage Sentron

Mage Sentron Jedi Youngling

May 12, 2014
    I never hated Jar Jar, as I'm pretty childish at heart and he was a fun, silly character that I could enjoy the antics of, not to mention that his native species lived in a kick-ass underwater kingdom that delighted me when I watched TPM in the theater.

That being said, I'm way past the age where I should like a character like Jar Jar and yet, Ahmed Best's performance just was so likeable, I couldn't hate the poor creature. He was just so clumsy and simple-minded that it not only reminded me of the clumsy parts of myself, but reminded me of characters with tremendous luck and clumsy minds like Forest Gump and Inspector Gadget.

It pains me that people had such intense hatred for that character as it's not only a waste of time to "hate" a character in a movie to the point you post on the internet about it, but it says a lot about the cynicism that's being fermented online by the hive-mind mentality. Now the good is AMAZING and the less than good is HORRIBLE and RAPE.

Ahmed Best returned to reprise his role in The Clone Wars and I think he not only did a great job, but I laughed out loud and genuinely enjoyed the episodes he was in. I'm not blindly enjoying his character like someone who laughs at anything, I'm simply enjoying the levity during a narrative focused on war.

Is that so bad?

BigAl6ft6 and Iron_lord like this.
  4. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Nah. I found Jar-Jar kind of annoying when I first saw TPM but I never hated him.

Inspector Gadget made me insane 25-30 years ago when my sister watched him though.

Mage Sentron likes this.
  5. Mage Sentron

May 12, 2014
    It's amazing that Lucas was able to create so much hate off a character that was basically Charlie Chaplin mixed with Chico Marx with a bit of silly fart humor thrown in for kids. George Lucas didn't create the character so it could be hated. He didn't know people would hate it because he's a positive thinker.

6. Han Burgundy

Han Burgundy Jedi Master star 3

Jan 28, 2013
    The Disappeared Part II, when Jar Jar goes full action hero and does a leaping punch on that pale kid... I'm pretty sure I did a backflip.

RandomGuardian likes this.
  7. StrikerKOJ

StrikerKOJ Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 21, 2014
    Any episode where the villain is running from a Jedi and the Jedi just stands there like a dolt. I found myself screaming at the screen "Just push him with the Force!!" so many times, mostly related to Cad Bane. It's like the Jedi intentionally forgot they were Jedi just to make the villain look more capable than he was. And that is why I liked any episode with Mace Windu, because he just laid foot to ass everywhere he went. Wish more of the Jedi were like Mace Windu.

I actually really enjoyed the standard Battle Droids. In the PT movies they were pretty lame, but after viewing TCW from start to finish I found myself rooting for the Battle Droids, and felt sorry for them. It was like they were a group of Star Wars nerds that won a contest to be in The Clone Wars, and they were trying so hard to play soldier, and just got wtfowned every time. The exchange between the droids when one is like "Shoot him!", and the other is like "It won't matter..." was great. So dejected.

Revanfan1 and The Shadow Emperor like this.
  8. Dark Lord Tarkas

Dark Lord Tarkas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2011
    I never hated or liked Jar Jar that much when I was a kid, and I didn't get the pure hatred so many have for him. But I have to admit I've grown to like him less and less the older I've gotten. I still don't mind him trying to be the comic relief in dialogue most of the time, but when he does something equally stupid in the middle of what should be a really serious scene - like in the heat of battle - it just pisses me off now. Thank Crom almighty for The Phantom Menace fan-edits.

9. Mage Sentron

May 12, 2014
    Well, we can agree to disagree, but I think SW fans should make a huge effort from now on to just be excellent to each other and stop arguing. We know what's happening going forward, so let's just discuss! We're a family, through common experience, so let's make tolerance a goal. :)

10. squir1y

squir1y Jedi Master star 3

Feb 1, 2003
    I thought the romance between Ziro and Sy Snootles was hysterical. I couldn't stop laughing.

11. RandomGuardian

RandomGuardian Jedi Knight star 1

May 21, 2014
    [​IMG]

Whatever this man may have done with his life, he didn't deserve to get blindsided by a leaping punch from Jar Jar.

12. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    I imagine he got extremely drunk in an attempt to forget that shortly thereafter.

13. TheMDOSS1313

TheMDOSS1313 Jedi Master star 1

Sep 8, 2013
    I think that's the hardest I've laughed all week. You, sir and/or madam, have won the day.

14. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012

That poor, poor man.

15. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Jar Jar saying "Masterin' Mace!" and Mace just kinda groaning made me laugh

16. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Jar Jar is actually pretty funny in TCW imo.

Revanfan1 and TheMDOSS1313 like this.
  17. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Yeah, TCW figured out how to use him by simply having all of the other characters kinda be aggravated at him. In TPM he wiggity-whoops all over the place and nobody bats an eyelash (Qui-Gon's "Don't do that again" is a lone exception) but TCW acknowledged that Jar-Jar would be instantly aggravating to pretty much everyone around him so it made him more of a guy who keeps screwing up and they toss him with a straight man. "Bombad Jedi" is so good because it takes a character who seems like a complete screw up and hangs some realistic dramatic stakes around his actions and had him use his screw-ups to save the day.

Valairy Scot likes this.
  18. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    That and that his brand of mischief actually moves the plot forward in TCW or so it seems imho.

19. Dark Lord Tarkas

Dark Lord Tarkas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2011
    I strongly disagree with that. Qui-Gon is the one who interacts with Jar Jar most for a good chunk of the film and that one instance on Tatooine is far from the "lone" example of him treating Jar Jar that way. When they first meet he asks him if he's brainless, for example. Other characters in the film like Obi-Wan and basically all the Gungans also treat him like an idiot. Mace Windu's way of responding to Jar Jar fell in line with all of that for the most part.

20. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    One of the first comedic characters in the Clone Wars that I found extremely amusing was the Trandoshan scavenger Gha Nahckt. That slovenly scavenger was hilariously greedy to the point that Grievous stabbed him in the chest just to shut him up. Plus the fart jokes in Downfall of a Droid were pretty funny.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  21. gracesonnet

gracesonnet Jedi Knight star 2

May 20, 2014
    I've only started watching The Clone Wars series the past few weeks but I'd say, anytime Hondo shows up onscreen. God, he's awesome.
    "Insolence?! We're pirates!...We don't even know what that word means."
    Never change, Hondo.

Revanfan1, Vialco and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  22. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    True that, but I do think that the way Jar-Jar's was portrayed in TCW actually had progressed a bit more where basically everyone around him kinda rolled their eyes when they interacted with him, which actually does make the character pulling off something heroic in TCW seem a bit more dramatically involving than it was in TPM. Also he was more of a klutz who they needed in his TCW episodes to fulfill a goal, in TPM he's a klutz who is kinda just tagging along for the ride which doesn't make him the most central to the plot, he comes off as more extraneous. But his TCW episodes they make the plot hinge upon Jar-Jar, but his inherent bumbling will screw things up, which oddly makes you like him more.

Agreed, I'd go so far to say the way he was used in TCW in the stories they told worked better than he did in TPM, but he's still the same basic character. It's a really fine tightrope but I think TCW pulled it off better than TPM.

23. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    BigAl6ft6 Then again I haven't seen the TCW Jar Jar episodes as many times as I've seen TPM...........................

24. TheMDOSS1313

TheMDOSS1313 Jedi Master star 1

Sep 8, 2013
    The funniest part in The Clone Wars was when the show runners decided to waste half of the last full season on some of the worst story arcs imaginable.

25. gracesonnet

gracesonnet Jedi Knight star 2

May 20, 2014
    Is it wrong that I wanted to see Hondo flirt with Master Adi Gallia a little bit and/or tease Obi-Wan about her? Like, I was mad they killed her off so quick in that episode not just because it was a jerk move by Oppress but because I kind of wanted to see Hondo be all, "heyyyy Kenobi....good for you, nudge nudge, wink, wink" and Kenobi roll his eyes all, "Hondo, NO. Down. Bad Hondo."

Yes, I need help :-(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk