main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Furgan Paradox

Discussion in 'Literature' started by PrinceXizor, Aug 7, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PrinceXizor

PrinceXizor Former TF.N Foreign Book Cover Staff star 5 VIP

Jul 4, 2001
    In CotF, Ambassador Furgan's homeworld is destroyed by the Sun Crusher, along with all his species (Furgan is not human). At least I see it that way.

And the guy keeps his calm and quietly goes to Anoth to capture Anakin... He's apparently quite dismissing the fact that his species will disappear from the Galaxy... I don't know, but if that happened to me, I'd be quite panicked...

So what, are Carindans dispersed all over the Galaxy, a bit like the Alderaanians ? Or is Furgan just a super-Carindan who does not mind losing his people, as long as he gets his revenge ?

(Or... I hate to say that... But maybe KJA did not do his homework correctly ???)

2. Rotan

Rotan Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 4, 2001
    Carida is the Military Training Ground for the Empire. I do not believe that Furgan's specie's homeworld is Carida.

3. TIEace

TIEace Jedi Knight star 5

Nov 27, 2000
    I just assumed that his species were spread out, sort of like the Alderaanians.

4. PrinceXizor

Jul 4, 2001
    See the EGtPaM...

If Carida was not the homeworld of Furgan, why is he called a Caridan and described as an alien, from which we can see a pic in EGtPaM ?

Even if Carida was not the homeworld of the Caridans (which I seriously doubt), their origin would be from the same system, which blew up with Carida.

I'll go for the other explanation. Caridans must be a quite common species everywhere in the Galaxy.

5. Grand Admiral Reese

Grand Admiral Reese Jedi Knight star 6

Sep 1, 1999
    Well, I'd assume most of the Caridians were wiped out along with Caridia, the way that most Alderaanians were wiped out with Alderaan.

As to Furgan: I doubt he cared much for his people as a whole. He seemed too career minded and power-hungry for anything like patriotism to come into the mix.

6. Syntax

Syntax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 1, 2001
    I looked Furgan up in my copy of the WEG sourcebook for the Jedi Academy, and he's listed as a "man", as in (hu)man. If he were anything else, I'd think they'd list him as "male", they they usually do with non-human species. It says he GOVERNS Carida, but not that he's FROM Carida. I hope this helps.

7. PrinceXizor

Jul 4, 2001
    In the book is described as a barrel-like humanoid with big, long eyebrows that goes over the head or something like that, and this looks IMO exactly like what's drawn in EGtPaM...

8. Syntax

Aug 1, 2001
    So? Zsinj was a little like that, and he was human. There are people in real-life like that, and they're human (most of the time ;)). What's your point?

9. PrinceXizor

Jul 4, 2001
    Okay, here's what I have in Jedi Search (Chapter 6) : "Furgan was an humanoid with the trunk shaped like a barrel. On his square face, his eyebrows elevated themselves like the wings of a bird. Despite the hatred of the Emperor for the non-human species, the Caridans were accepted at his service."

Go check it. (If you don't have exactly the same text, that's normal, I re-translated it from French, but the idea's here...

10. Ana Vitorrian

Ana Vitorrian Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 2, 1999
    I think he's human too. Other than Thrawn, I'm unaware of any other "aliens" (i.e., "non-humans") to wield any power within the Imperial army and/or navy.

Presumably, Carida has indigenous "Caridans" - as well as "Caridans" who are immigrants and/or descendants of immigrants.

What's the Jedi Academy Sourcebook have to say? I could've sworn Furgan looks human, clear as day, in that book. Probably even states that he's a human male there too.

11. Genghis12

Genghis12 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 1999
    Ana...
    "I think he's human too. Other than Thrawn, I'm unaware of any other "aliens" (i.e., "non-humans") to wield any power within the Imperial army and/or navy.

*COUGH* General Sk'ar *COUGH*

Ana,

He was in Issue 54 of the ongoing Marvel series. I had whole threads about him which I tend revive every now and then (looks like I must be slacking, however ;) ) - one such one was "The RETURN of the Original Red-eyed, Blue-skinned Alien Imperial Military Leader" :D There were alien military leaders a decade before Thrawn was a figment of Zahn's imagination.

12. Valiento

Valiento Jedi Knight star 7

Mar 19, 2000
    Well I don't know about power wielding in the navy or army.

but the Nyke a race of humans(definition of near-human(means less evolved-human biological ancestors in anthropolical terms) is so mistranlated in star wars it's not funny), the nyke, ones that adapted horns on there chin(for someuknown reason), are accepted into the empire on a reguler basis holding positions in the navy, army or leadership.

then on the low end in common positions you have a few imperial gotals.

Probably are more races, to be seen.

13. PrinceXizor

Jul 4, 2001
    We see one of those Nykes in The Phantom Affair and in Crimson Empire II, right ?

(BTW, do they manufacture shoes on their homeworld ?)

14. Syntax

Aug 1, 2001
    According to the Jedi Academy Sourcebook, he looks pretty human, and he's not described as anything other than human. he's a "man", as in, (hu)man. Not "male".

15. PrinceXizor

Jul 4, 2001
    Huh... What is more canon ? The book or the sourcebook ?

But BTW, the first time I read JAT, I imagined him as human. But now, since I read that passage, I envision him as drawn in the EGtPaM...

16. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    "We see one of those Nykes in The Phantom Affair"

I think so, if I remember.

"and in Crimson Empire II, right?"
    correct.

CE handbook actually is were "Nyke" name, comes from.

also mazzic goes in a blue with red eyes Nyke disquise in TTT comics, but he's indeed white human male.

Some nykes can be seen driving, STs in force commander.

I'm not sure but I think some nykes could be found, in marvel weekly(newspaperstrips), or monthy(marvel run), If I can remember.

"(BTW, do they manufacture shoes on their homeworld ?)"

good joke, :D, LOL.

17. PrinceXizor

Jul 4, 2001
    Yup. Gade Yedan in XWRS:TPA...

18. Genghis12

Genghis12 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 1999
    It's interesting to note that the typical wording used in conjunction with Thrawn is that he is merely the highest-ranked alien in the Empire or Imperial military. It's never been that he was one of few or only aliens in the Empire. Many variations of that description exist in various places.

19. Syntax

Aug 1, 2001
    You said you translated the passage from French? Specifically, which JAT book is it, and what chapter is that passage in? I'll check it out in English, assuming I have that specific book.

20. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    Thrawn is technically not alien, he's called a near-human(which would be saying he's less than human in anthropoligical terms, cleary propaganda spread by the imperials, and seemed to have been taken as accepted by those of the galaxy.) In gamer 5, do learn that chiss have indeed adapted from human ancestors. so they are just another race of humans, or a next stage in human evolution. So anyone calling him Alien(besides the fact his skin is different than most imps), or near human is practicing Imperial Doctrine of bigotry, almost to the likes of wanting mainly Aryans in charge.

For anyone wanting to know about such races that evolved from human ancestors, but are seperate species, it's called Divergent Humanoids, or human cousins.

Such as how Cromag man, split in both homo sapiens, and homo neanderthalis. both are different species but both diverged from a common ancestor. So for star wars books to be accurate and not premoting imperial propaganda left over from the empire, then that those termonalogies should start being used.

21. Bubba

Bubba Jedi Knight star 5

Sep 10, 2000
    Actually, it isn't "Nyke." It's Myke. :)

22. PrinceXizor

Jul 4, 2001
    I actually wrote the name of the book and the chapter before the extract...

Now, if the translation is THAT bad, I'll... I'll... I don't know, but I'll do it. (Translation is sometimes REALLY shameful : in Krytos Trap, the translator omitted to translate the description of the Twi'lek starfighters - he just wrote : "starfigthers of a special type" - that made me quite disgusted when I discovered it)

23. PrinceXizor

Jul 4, 2001
    You serious Bubba ? Nyke or Myke ? (Excuse if there's some sort of pun here that I don't caught, I miss some basis of the American culture)

24. Syntax

Aug 1, 2001
    You're right. It says "humanoid" on the second page of chapter six. It also says "despite the prejudice against non-humans...". So I guess he's "near-human", like Thrawn. ::shrugs::

25. PrinceXizor

Jul 4, 2001
    Ah ! Bow before my might, you infidel ! :D

Do you have the Essential Guide to Planets and Moons ???

If you don't, I could scan what I suspect to be Furgan and post it here...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.