main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate The future lies in automation..?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ender Sai, Jul 23, 2017.

1. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    Jester J Binks likes this.
  2. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    I, for one, welcome and shall worship Our Great Machine God.

3. Jester J Binks

Jester J Binks Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2016
    The cobots aren't free to purchase and maintain. So the idea that if the cobots help you get 8 hours of work done in 4 hours, your pay should double, are the thoughts of somebody that has never had to set production rates to meet market price. And if you aren't getting double wages (to achieve the equivalent paycheck as the 8 hours), many employees would not go for the offer.

This is where skill and will collide. If somebody has the skill to get 9 hours or work completed in 5 hours, with the ninth hour of production paying for said cobot financing and maintenance, would they have the will (and intelligence) to look at the glass half full or empty. Did you just save 3 hours of your day for the same income level, or did "the man" steal an hour from you?

4. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Yeah it's almost like everyone says, you have to readjust the value of work time vs non-work time, and possibly even suffer through deflation until prices are realistic again.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  5. Hef

Hef Jedi Master star 3

Jan 30, 2005
    Well, as the title of this thread and article admit, the lies are coming. Best that we get out ahead of them.

6. Jester J Binks

Dec 19, 2016
    As the cobot becomes more integral in it's share of the production rate, the more unhappiness will percolate at the perception (real and unreal) that the employee's cobot partner is "inferior" to the others. This already happens on the office floor with computer hardware / software. "I'd get more done if I had a computer like _______". But the office floor isn't as expensive as the production floor.

In one job, CAD work was a big part of my job duty. I petitioned that my 19" monitor and entry level computer severely limited my ability in "production". This back and forth went on for about 3 to 4 months when I finally just went out and bought a more powerful computer and dual 26" monitors (considered large at the time). It was worth every penny out of my pocket as an employee. Just not beating your head against the desk waiting for a screen update was worth the price alone, but it revolutionized the entire process.

Production didn't double. It went up ten fold. Not only was the process faster, but I could answer the questions of other employees, vendors and clients on the spot as opposed to taking a note and promising to get back with them as soon as I could get the answer. And it paid for itself in just a few paychecks shortly thereafter with a nice big raise.

This same concept can be applied to the production floor, except an employee will not have the ability to just go out and buy their own cobot. Instead, they will be internally frustrated that they can't work as fast as Mary because her cobot is the 5000 model (or the same model but newer and more reliable).

7. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    Can your cobot get me back the time I spent reading that?

Ender Sai likes this.
  8. Jester J Binks

Dec 19, 2016
    Maybe I should have included a picture of Maxine Waters

9. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    "M5. This unit must survive."

As Kirk said, there are somethings man must do to remain men. OTOH, there are lots of jobs that ought to be relegated to machines. I hope we have the wisdom to tell the difference.

Juliet316 and Jedi Merkurian like this.
  10. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    I agree Sarge.

But, tell me this: lorry/truck drivers.

Why do we need people to drive freight? If the technology supports it, why would we not completely automate freight delivery?

11. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Actually, even here they're resisting the legislation to allow even prototyping assisted automated long-haul trucking (i.e. like airline pilots, the driver parks, and starts, but once the truck's on the road it's on autopilot with the human monitoring) which wouldn't necessarily eliminate all jobs -- and they're still balking. It's insane.

Jedi Merkurian and Ender Sai like this.
  12. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001

Is it because there are ethical concerns about building a machine to slaughter sex workers on behalf of lorry drivers?

CT-867-5309 likes this.
  13. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    I mean, building such a device is just common sense, really...

14. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    If the law turns a blind eye to the current crop of prostitute-felling lorry drivers, it can do it to cold-blooded machine strumpet slayers.

15. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
  16. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    Humans kill people with cars all the time, nobody seems to care. Driverless vehicle kills someone, that's when people have a problem.

Humans really don't deserve good things.

17. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    it's robophobia !

18. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    Yeah, I know that. But you'd be kidding yourself if you think people won't find this to be at least somewhat scary or disturbing. It's like how plane crashes are scarier than car crashes despite it being safer to fly than to drive.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2018
    Juliet316 and Jedi Merkurian like this.
  19. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    The issue is less robots and more humans. The only deaths mentioned in the article came from a woman walking outside of a crosswalk and a tractor trailer pulling out in front of the vehicle. If all the cars were autonomous, we wouldn't have nearly as many issues on the road.

20. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    Really pisses me off when technological advancement is stopped because someone died. Accidents happen, get over. Imagine if we gave up on flight, in the early 20th Century, because some of the first aviators died. Makes me so angry.

21. a star war

a star war Force Ghost star 5

May 4, 2016
    The real issue here is the population explosion if they're not programmed to do so, and that brings the entire ecosystem down.

Ender Sai likes this.
  22. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    We agree then - any system for ferrying goods by lorry/truck must include a quota of slaughtered sex workers. This is both a cultural requirement (keeps the proud tradition of "truck drivin', whore killin'" workers alive) and a socio-economic one (population control).

23. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    If there were no people on the streets then we wouldn't have this problem . Makes me so mad .

24. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    The issue is the lax regulatory environment which allowed Uber to fast-track open road testing. They were in Arizona and not California for that reason.

Driverless personal vehicles are absolutely the wrong direction to go. They don't meaningfully cut down on the environmental impact and they would reduce congestion only if every car were autonomous and extensive infrastructure were in place to support the privately owned vehicles. It's only because of libertarian Silicon Valley billionaires that we are being dragged this way. They think they can take Elon Musk's spaceship to Mars while the poors are stuck on Earth dealing with the effects of their Randian paradise.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2018
  25. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Sounds like the plot of Elysium.

(I loved that movie.)