Lit The Future of Dark Horse Comics

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Barriss_Coffee, Oct 30, 2012.

1. Darth_Kevin Force Ghost

star 5
    Perhaps, however if Disney does force Star Wars into their stable, I would think that the Disney honchos would push them into putting the top talent onto it at least for a few years. Disney does want to protect their investment somewhat. If Marvel caused the demise of the Star Wars comics franchise, rather than expansion, my guess is that would not make Disney happy at all. Disney's goal is to squeeze Star Wars for profits in every opportunity.
  2. Chewbacca89 Force Ghost

star 5
    I will literally burn ever Marvel Comic I own if they do a Star Wars Crossover. I can't even express how upset I would be at that prospect.
    Zorrixor and WIERD_GREEN_MAN like this.
  3. WIERD_GREEN_MAN Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    JUST SHOULD NOT HAPPEN
    Zorrixor likes this.
  4. Darth_Kevin Force Ghost

star 5
    Sell them off and buy DC comics out of spite! :)
  5. WIERD_GREEN_MAN Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    But the DC logo sucks...
    Darth_Kevin likes this.
  6. Darth_Kevin Force Ghost

star 5
    Hmmm....back issues?
  7. WIERD_GREEN_MAN Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    I guess. Or go independent! Or manga!
  8. instantdeath Force Ghost

star 5
    Meh, if it was clearly infinities, I could live with it. I can't see any way of making it good, though, short of making it a comedy.
  9. Jinn-N-Tonic Force Ghost

star 1
    I know that Disney owns the film rights to Marvel's universe but do they also own Mavel comics as well? If not I can't see any reason for Star Wars being forced back to Marvel comics.
  10. CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus

VIP
    star 6
    They own Marvel outright, but picking up a comic, you'd never know it.
    Last edited by CooperTFN, Nov 3, 2012
  11. Chewbacca89 Force Ghost

star 5
    I just don't think Star Wars will get any stage time with Marvel....at least nowhere near as much as Dark Horse gives it.
  12. Darth_Kevin Force Ghost

star 5
    As I posted earlier, I would think Disney may push them to give it a lot of attention, at least early on. Of course, over time that attention would probably dwindle.
  13. Jinn-N-Tonic Force Ghost

star 1
    Marvel never gave SW that much attention during their run back in the 70s and 80s.
  14. instantdeath Force Ghost

star 5
    Yeah, if it does go to Marvel, I predict that they'll saturate the market with Star Wars comics around the time every new movie comes out, but between releases, I don't see it being nearly as prevalent as Dark Horse.
  15. Zeta1127 Force Ghost

star 4
    It seems like Marvel isn't a good fit for the Star Wars license, and they probably know it.
  16. Darth_Kevin Force Ghost

star 5
    We'll see. I don't see any way DH keeps the license once it is up for renewal.
  17. BoromirsFan Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    Dark Horse would still be able to finish their omnibus program if marvel takes over completely right?

if Marvel gets star wars comics, I will buy each and every omnibus in support of Dark Horse.
    Rew likes this.
  18. Darth_Kevin Force Ghost

star 5
    I hope so.

Since Dark Horse bought the rights to Marvel's Star Wars material, I think the most ironic thing would be that once Marvel gets the license [back], they still could not reprint their original material :D
  19. BoromirsFan Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    They don't deserve to. I hope that Disney lets DH keep the damn license. Marvel shouldn't have to juggle so many of their superheroes AND Star Wars.

Does it even matter if Disney puts it into Marvel? Even under DH, aren't they still getting profits?

At the very least, I hope things come to a smooth conclusion. Dark Times better have an endgame planned soon.
    Last edited by BoromirsFan, Nov 3, 2012
  20. Jedi Ben Chosen One

star 6
    Dark Times' endgame is: Vader kills everyone. Simples.

DotJ? Harder, but would expect John and Jan to have a plan, especially after their experience on Legacy.

Profits? Certainly. But Marvel would not have any hesitation in reducing the story to 20 pages and charging $3.99 an issue. I would expect arcs to be no more than 4 issues too.
    Last edited by Jedi Ben, Nov 4, 2012
  21. WIERD_GREEN_MAN Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    The thing is, Marvel is used to the superhero genre, which is not the same thing as the Star Wars niche, even though geeks read them both. And what's wrong with Dark Horse?
  22. DarthMane2 Force Ghost

star 4
    Well the main factor here is that Marvel WILL more than likely get the License. It's cheaper for Disney to have the comic books sold in house for one. And I believe Disney will push Star Wars comics early on, with big name writers and artist. Also it's not unheard of for a comic in one company to continuie in another, so the new "STAR WARS" series could continuie if Disney wanted it to.

Marvel lobbied for the license back when DH's contract was up for renewal. I bet they'll want it even more now, especially given the craze and excitement that will lead up to the release of EPISODE 7.
  23. Valin__Kenobi Author: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Praji

VIP
    star 4
    In the '90s Marvel crossed X-Men with Star Trek and TNG, meaning we are one Star Wars/Marvel crossover away from having Trek and Wars in the same continuity. [face_hypnotized] [face_laugh]
  24. darklordoftech Force Ghost

star 5
    When was DH's contract up for renewal?
  25. Bib Fartuna Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    Any problems will be ironed out and rectified when Dark Horse buys Disney.