main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The future of Jacen Solo

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Lady_Traitor, Apr 15, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blithe

Blithe Jedi Master star 4

Jun 24, 2003
    Read the ROTS novelization as well, if you're interested in seeing a possible future for Jacen; he seems to be strikingly familiar to another powerful and popular Jedi...

Anakin Skywalker.

2. Jedi_Johnson

Jedi_Johnson Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 6, 2002
    To be honest I like Jacen Solo now. Traitor made him badass, but afterwards no one could write him near as well at Matthew Stover did. Stover took the whiny unsure Jacen and turned him into a self confident, self assured man. And the transformation was believeable the way he handled it. If you can't tell I liked Traitor a whole lot, and its probably my favorite NJO book.

Still the problem is no one wrote Jacen like Stover did. It seemed like Jacen started to revert back to the old character he had been pre-Traitor. I don't see him falling to the darkside. I bought into Vergere's arguement and see that as a possibility, that in one sense there is no Dark Side of the Force, only a person's darkside that shapes how they do things. Read the ROTS novelization and you'll probably see something like that for Anakin. I don't wanna give spoilers.

In the future I see the Jedi in a position like they were in the early parts of the VOng war. Split over philosophy. But I don't see Jacen causing this split to destroy the order. Besides, did Luke seem overly concerned with Jacen's outlook on the force?

3. JediJSolo

JediJSolo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 11, 2001
    Read the ROTS novelization as well, if you're interested in seeing a possible future for Jacen; he seems to be strikingly familiar to another powerful and popular Jedi...

Anakin Skywalker.
    Then you acknowledge that Jacen is the strongest Jedi in the order, Blithe? ;)

Personally, I always saw Jacen as more Yoda-like than any other character in the NJO? But I haven?t read the ROTS novelization, so I don?t know who BIG_BAD_JEDI_MAN is actually referring to.

Anyway, Jacen should be around 25 or 26 when the Dark Nest books start (5 years after TUF, IIRC). What will he be doing there? I have no clue. Will he have finished his journey across the galaxy to study other Force sensitive cultures by then, or will he still be exploring? Will he have acquired the title of Jedi Master by then, or will Mara still outrank him (for reasons unbeknownst to anyone :p)? Will he indeed open a bagel shop, or will he shun such capitalistic endeavors?

I could guess at the answers? He?ll probably have finished most of his exploration, and will certainly be willing to move on to something else if it were to pop up (even if only temporarily). I would certainly hope that he?d have the title of Jedi Master by then. And I doubt he will have opened a bagel shop, though I can see him temping as a bartender?

What will he be doing beyond Dark Nest? Again, I don?t know, but I can easily see him on the Jedi Council, and acting as a liaison to other governmental bodies (such as the Hapes Consortium, or if the non-Jedi members of the council have been weeded out by then, maybe the Galactic Alliance).

4. -Tenel-Ka-

-Tenel-Ka- Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2002
    I'm a huge Jacen fan, and I think I'm the only one rooting for him to go (evil, evil) dark, even if it's only for a bit. Stover wrote him beautifully, then after Traitor he just became all bleh again (Jacen in the Force Heretic books = useless) --- I think the Denning/Allston/Traviss team will do well with him in the post-NJO novels. But who knows exactly what they'll do with him. :D

5. rhonderoo

rhonderoo Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 7, 2002
    Blithe posted on 4/16/05 5:02pm
    [i]Read the ROTS novelization as well, if you're interested in seeing a possible future for Jacen; he seems to be strikingly familiar to another powerful and popular Jedi... [/i]

Anakin Skywalker.
    [hr][/blockquote]

Here's to hoping for him, as far as being young, good-looking forever in the after life. Anakin's life sucked because he was the force incarnate, and the prophecy and all that. I could only hope for the better. To be like AS, he'd have to let go of that pansy "peace" concept and become a real warrior and demi-god like Grandpa. Not that he hasn't.

6. alpha_red

alpha_red Jedi Youngling star 5

Aug 24, 2003
    Then you acknowledge that Jacen is the strongest Jedi in the order, Blithe?

NO DAMMIT NO! POTENTIUM IZ T3H UBZ0R 333B1L!!1!eleven

:p

Somebody had to do it -- I was getting impatient. Then again, I have all the patience of a 6-year old who wants ice cream.

I think everyone's noticed some glaring deficiencies in Jacen's personal life. He should be taken under the tutelage of Lando Calrissian so he can learn how to pick up chicks and deal with his obvious sexual insecurity. :D

7. Jedi_Matt

Jedi_Matt Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 11, 2002
    jacen is gonna totally become the new obi-wan, in my opinion :p

8. Blithe

Blithe Jedi Master star 4

Jun 24, 2003
    Then you acknowledge that Jacen is the strongest Jedi in the order, Blithe?

I acknowledge that by all previously established Starwars canon law and dogma - Out-of-Universe statements and consistantly supported facts about the nature of the Force, that if he were to continue the path he's taking, he has the eventuality of being consumed by Anger and Hate.

Unless, of course, the arbitrary concepts of the NJO and allegedly Mr. Stover himself are continually permeated into the Dark Nest trilogy

Which might try to justify Jacen and the NJO's actions as a whole.....

:p

9. Fist_of_Mandalore

Fist_of_Mandalore Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 31, 2005
    I think Jacen turning evil and becoming the new Emperor of the a reborn Sith Empire would rock. But maybe that's just me. Or Kyle, that would be kewl. Or even Jaden Korr.

10. majin_yami

majin_yami Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 14, 2004
    I liked Jacen in YJK, but god if there's one thing I hate it's pacifists. He was a bad-ass in Traitor, but then reverted back to his annoying ways. I think that once he finally grows up out of his whiny stage then he'll be a great character. I hope his travelling will let him adopt a more tolerable attitude.

11. NJOfan215

NJOfan215 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 17, 2003
    I don't feel that jacen is going to turn to the dark side. I can see him becoming a qui-gon of sorts.

12. Lady_Traitor

Lady_Traitor Jedi Youngling

Apr 15, 2005
    Nice to see there's other Jacen fans out there. Or at least Jacen-as-written-in-Traitor fans.

Traitor made him badass, but afterwards no one could write him near as well at Matthew Stover did.

Absolutely. Which is why Matthew Stover must be bribed/threatened/coerced into writing a post-NJO novel. Well, a girl can dream...

Honestly, I can see Jacen becoming an Obi-Wan sort (a la ROTS novelization, the "This is Obi-Wan Kenobi" part near the beginning, for those of you who've read it.) I can also see him going Qui-Gon, though...but I see what everyone means about how he's not cut out to lead the Jedi Order.

Alright, here's another question for everyone: assuming some knowledge of the Old Republic Jedi lightsaber forms still exists in the NJO-era, what style do you see Jacen as primarily using? I'm torn between Form III (the obvious choice for a pacifistic sort) and Form VII (because of Vergere's teachings).

13. Jedi_Matt

Jedi_Matt Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 11, 2002
    my thoughts of lightsaber forms for jacen, im more and more leaning towards the mighty form of vapaad, look at traitor, he just immersed himself and acted, there wasn't any 'feeling' or anything, just straight to the point.

and yeah, that 'this is obi-wan' in the rots novel is badass, and that will be jacen.

all you people saying he'll never lead the jedi order, how can you say that? look at how luke behaved for the majority of the NJO, he was exactly the same.

14. Lady_Traitor

Lady_Traitor Jedi Youngling

Apr 15, 2005
    Good point about Luke in NJO, Jedi_Matt. Although just looking at Jacen's personality, I think that even though he could lead the Jedi Order, I'm not entirely certain he would want to. I certainly can't see him taking over the administrative tasks like Kam and Tionne (which obviously, looking at Luke, he wouldn't have to). I see him more as the lone-wanderer type that's forever traveling in search of a deeper understanding of the Force. Which is why I can't ever see him starting a family...

Hooray for Vaapad-using-Jacen. :)

(EDIT: Woo! Bartending Jacen! Gotta love that!)

15. JediJSolo

JediJSolo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 11, 2001
    Blithe: I acknowledge that by all previously established Starwars canon law and dogma - Out-of-Universe statements and consistantly supported facts about the nature of the Force, that if he were to continue the path he's taking, he has the eventuality of being consumed by Anger and Hate.

Then I guess we just disagree about what path he?s actually taking. The path of peace is easily one of the safest paths one can take, and that is the path I see Jacen on.

Hey, should I cave in and read the ROTS novelization so that I can understand what y?all are talking about? I don?t care that much for Stover?s work (great guy, but his books have never been my thing), but this one seems to have more applicability to the rest of the EU than the other prequel novelizations.

16. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I hope we get to see more of Traitor-style Jacen...I agree that afterwards, with possible exception to a scene in FH: Remnant, Jacen's potential didn't seem consistant with that.

If he continues to revert, I'll continue to dislike him until the day Anakin Solo returns...

>>Qui-Gon was not 60 in TPM, he was 60 in the original character design before casting made them change that<<

Actually, his official age is 60 (he's actually older than Mace Windu it seems).

>>but this one seems to have more applicability to the rest of the EU than the other prequel novelizations.<<

Stover apparently did use a lot of EU references in the book (hell, there's like 4 in the introduction alone).

17. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    The future of Jacen Solo...

... the footsteps of his grandfather. ;)

18. Lank_Pavail

Lank_Pavail Jedi Knight star 7

Sep 26, 2002
    I dunno, I see some parallels between Jacen and Count Dooku, as well as grandaddy Vader. The search for knowledge is a good thing, but then again, going to meet Sith offshoots... Why do I think we might see a conversation very similar to the one Palpatine and Anakin had about knowledge about the Dark Side?

19. Darth_Greed

Darth_Greed Jedi Youngling

Jul 31, 2004
    Ok I'm no jacen solo fan either. But I think he will go on to lead the jedi. Now what would be cool is if Ben Skywalker fall to the dark side. Then Jacen and Ben go at it and of course Ben would own Jacen. And the dark side rises again.

20. KenKenobi

KenKenobi Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2002
    Jacen Solo = Anakin Skywalker, minus the prophecy crap that got in the way of fulfilling his potential as a Jedi. Which means Jacen Solo is eventually going to make Luke Skywalker look like a pansy. Hell, Traitor alone puts him on the Skywalker badass level. I can't imagine what the post-NJO will do to him.

Eh, who am I kidding. They'll probably have him lead a strike team, where they'll kill him off because his name bears too much of a resemblance to "Jason Baird", Live Action Creature Effects Supervisor. So Jaina will be taken captive and made the successor.

21. EH_Pilot

EH_Pilot Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 12, 2003
    Darth_Greed: If anyone's going to fall to the Dark Side, it should be Jacen, since he really did fall in TUF.

22. KenKenobi

KenKenobi Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2002
    Know what would be funny? If Ben wasn't Force-sensitive.

23. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Jacen's pacificism wasn't the problem I had with him, it was that he wanted to be a pacifist and dictate war policy! That he apparently would not remove himself from a theatre where he could only do harm to those he was supposed to protect.

Had Jacen devoted himself to looking afer others, as he did in BP, he would not be so bad a character; in BP, he made the right choice, although it took the slaughter of a Hapan fleet for him to do so. Then there was his assertion that killing all the Vong because they would never surrender was evil in FH and that there has to be a better way. Translated that reads: I want to have all the glory of winning the war without anyone dying and me getting my hands dirty.

At the same time we had his accursed sibling being every bit as irresponsible but on the flip side, thus: I can do anything I like and blame Kyp or my Mum - I'm not responsible for squat! Cue vivisection & threats of GBH without apology or even recognition of error.

Now I think of it, Jacen is the cop in Hitchiker's Guide:
    "Beetlebrox, you're not talking to a pair of triger-happy psychos, no! When I shoot a bad guy I agonise about it for hours afterwards with my girlfriend!"

Meanwhile, his uncle, at around the same age nuked a moon-sized battle station, killing a couple million, including poor innocent contractors & sub-contractors, but decided he really didn't need lots of therapy to sort out his grief-striken conscience. Why? Luke knew it was what had to be done. Jacen and Jaina, by contrast, are either too concerned or too cavailer with morality and neither attitude is beneficial.

I'm hoping Dark Nest fixes the pair of them.

JB

24. radicalbassist

radicalbassist Jedi Youngling

Apr 11, 2005
    Hmm. I don't mind Jacen, except in the Young Jedi Knights, but i don't really like those. I always thought that it was him that shoulda died and not Anakin, only because he seems like the more self-sacrificing type. As for his future.. I can see him becoming a part of the goverment.

25. dizfactor

dizfactor Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 12, 2002
    Nice to see there's other Jacen fans out there. Or at least Jacen-as-written-in-Traitor fans.

here's another right here.

after Vergere's teachings he has a few wrong ideas that could lead him down the dark path.

actually, after Vergere's teachings he's finally got the right idea, which is the fulfillment of his grandfather's work and the best hope for the future of the Jedi.

I see him more as the lone-wanderer type that's forever traveling in search of a deeper understanding of the Force. Which is why I can't ever see him starting a family...

he needs to grow a beard. it just seems appropriate for a character wandering the galaxy seeking spiritual truth to have a beard.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.