main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The future of Space opera.

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by Likewater, Apr 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Likewater

Likewater Jedi Master star 4

Dec 31, 2009
    Remember when Space Opera, was ontop with speculative fiction. Now its Modern Fantasy...which I also love. But what happend to space opera and what is its future?

We have now, StarGate: Destiny, Caprica, Star Wars: Cone Wars, and thats it.

what has gone by the wayside, the Various Star Treks, Enterprise the only one since TOS not to have 7 seasons. With its final seasons finaly getting good.

Firefly, killed before its time (I wanted to see more of the core worlds), Not to mention its vibrant cast. I think Joss Whendon say's he won't do another movie with Universal.

Farscape 5 seasons and a Telemovie...Good end.

Babylon-5, Both crusade never getting of the ground (I found it intresting)

Space Above and Beyond also killed by Fox but on its what 2nd(?) season.

Andromeda which started out good, but ended poorly. Keith Hamiltion Kobb's character I felt was the Most Dynamic. But The rest were also good. And they played off eachother well. But Season 3 was bad, the reast after was god awful!

Some say space opera's fall was due to oversaturization. But thats silly. If you count Anime's like Gundam, Cowboy Beebop, Macross, and the rest I seriously doubt there were more that 30 space operas out there at the hight of space opera popularity.

what happend?

2. Jedimarine

Jedimarine Force Ghost star 5

Feb 13, 2001
    #1...they went from being cheap foam set projects to the most expensive projects in tv or film.

#2...Comic books are easier to adapt to screen then books or having an original thought.

#3...Space Opera lost it's edge...it could only go places sitcoms and Cop Dramas were already going.

#4...Realism permeates much of the medium these days...even the fantastic must be human-focused...or at least that's what the statistics tell them.

#5...Star Trek burnout, Star Wars Prequel letdown...these cannot be understated.

3. Likewater

Likewater Jedi Master star 4

Dec 31, 2009
    ^ wow thats...cold.

But I see what you are saying about the foam sets. Yeah gone are the painted back grounds and Quick flashes of CGI are now Full CGI megalopoli. Where once there were Models now are CGI ships. So i guess its more expensive, but as for them only having copshows and sitcoms left...

FireFly was very Diffrent from standard Scifi, as well was Farscape.

As for StarTrek, I felt they started to "Flesh Out" the trekverse in DS9, but then they just droped it. "I dinne bi'live she b'rnt out yet Kiptan!"

As for more realism, I say look at Modern Fantasy, its Exploded since Buffy and Angel. Tru Blood, being big.

I haven't seen Vampire Diries(Sp), And the "Dresdenfiles" was not faithful to the books at all.

The pat Briggs series "Mercedes Thompson Series" i seriously doubt will NOT be made into a movie or tv series. Probably Greywalker or Kim Harrisons Hollow series as well.

realism, my not be what the people want. I think people still want to visit far off lands and do far off things.

4. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Stuff of old didn't vanish entirely- but different facets got spun off on their own. B5 took the Star Trek forum and forged it into new territory of serialized, pre-planned series story arcs that carried forth into shows like Lost and BSG. The (relatively light) action/adventure of world exploration torch was carried on by the first two Stargate shows. The crazy aliens and bizzare/campy fun found their way into Farscape and LEXX.

Then you have stuff like BSG that narrowed the scope to tell dark, gritty human drama stories devoid of fun in the style of network and cable dramas, just within a limited sci-fi setting with only a couple of the usual trappings.

Then the space opera genre takes what came before and splits off and spins off other facets and combines them with others. Caprica removes the space from BSG. SGU maintains the adventure and fun and sci-fi elements that BSG shunned, but merges them with the shooting style and human drama focus of it.

Whenever Trek returns to the small screen, it most certainly will not resemble the past incarnations. It's going to be influenced by the movies as well as the various shows that have come and gone on TV before it.

5. The_Smirking_Revenge

The_Smirking_Revenge Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 2, 2008
    "#2...Comic books are easier to adapt to screen then books or having an original thought."

That is completely subjective. Whether or not something is more difficult than another is entirely up to the person doing it.

Don't be one of those ignorant fools who states opinions as facts.

As for the Space opera... I really just think the powers-that-be believe that unless a flick is tied to Star Wars, Aliens and Predators, Star Trek, etc. there isn't much of an audience for sci-fi, let alone space opera... When you get right down to it, these people's main concern is money, and more-often-than-not sci-fi just doesn't exactly rake it in. Comic book movies do, however.

I actually like the fact that really good Sci-fi/Space operas only come along every-so-often, it makes them a little more special. Look back at how cool it was when only a few comic book flicks had been made, it was great. Now they're so cookie-cutter it's ridiculous. It could be a whole lot worse, we could be stuck with only "made for syfy" movies.

-T_S_R

6. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    Space Opera needs a vacation, rest up a bit, and then come back strong several years in the future.

#5...Star Trek burnout, Star Wars Prequel letdown...these cannot be understated.

The prequels didn't let me down, because I wasn't going in with all these expectations of what I wanted to see, even though i'm a fan of the novels, comics, etc..

I do agree with Star Trek burnout though, but the new film isn't too bad.

7. Koohii

Koohii Jedi Master star 5

May 30, 2003
    I have an odd question.

In Germany, Star Trek is called "Raumschiff:Enterprise" or Space Ship Enterprise. Next Gen was Raumschiff Enterprise: Den Nachsten Jahrhundert. Voyager was Raumschiff Voyager. So, what was Enterprise called. Anyone?

8. Jedimarine

Feb 13, 2001
    According to IMDB-Germany, it was "Star Trek: Enterprise".

Apparently they weren't bothering with translations by this point.

9. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    Trek got super boring and kept re-using old stories that the audience knew over and over again. I don't see us getting new Trek until the current Abrams movie franchise goes three or four pics deep. In my opinion I'm burnt out on tv Trek.

B5 was a Trek wanna be. It did get kind of interesting with Crusade but that never took off for some reason.

I honestly never watched Firefly. I didn't have dvr and it was on a night that I would go out with my girl friend.

Farscape will always be one of my favorite tv shows that has ever been on television. The creatures and locations were awesome and kept me super interested and wanting more every week.

Space Above and Beyond was meh, less chick with huge boobs and more sci-fi imo

Andromeda...anything with Kevin Sorbo I can't take seriously. Sorry

I look forward to new ideas. I was talking to Gil Gerard here at a local con during dinner and I have to admit even though it was only on tv for 2 seasons I would love to see an updated version of Buck Rogers come to fruition.

10. Koohii

Koohii Jedi Master star 5

May 30, 2003
    I just figured that was IMDB being lazy or incomplete/incorrect.

11. Jedimarine

Feb 13, 2001
    could be...but lets think about it a bit:

1. When the show started, it was called "Enterprise"...both "disconnecting" from the franchise in an obvious way by ditching "Star Trek" in the name, but still relying on recognition of the the word with the franchise...duplicitous...and in the end...pointless effort.

2. Since they want to cling to that recognition from "Enterprise", it would make sense to just keep that word as the title of the show...as you said, the earlier franchise names in German had "Enterprise" in them...the strategy still works.

3. When they decided to prefix the name with "Star Trek" again, it was obviously decided for the sake of having the weight of the franchise moniker behind it. They need "STAR TREK" to appear.

4. "Star Trek" was not unknown to German fans...the films...were all titled "Star Trek". (even JJ's Star Trek)

5. So..."Star Trek: Enterprise"...the combining of 2 distinctive franchise tags...crosses language barriers..."Star Trek: Enterprise"...there is no doubt what you're watching...except for perhaps who stars in it.

--------------

What interest's me is why after the films started releasing with "Star Trek" in the title, they maintained the old way of titling TNG.

Btw...according to IMDB...Voyager in German was called "Star Trek - Raumschiff Voyager"...so they split the difference, perhaps?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.