main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The future of Star Trek: Where would YOU boldly go??

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by Darth_Pazuzu, Apr 14, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthButt

DarthButt Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 11, 2003
    I just don't see how this new ST is going to be any good with the story line. I'm a big fan, but this just gives me the heebie-jeebie's.

Also, there is a lot left for closure to the TNG movies. We're kinda left hanging in the story. ST6 rounded up the Kirk era movies quite well, and we could use a movie or two to close out TNG. I thought Nemisis was great, but if you get a great writing team and focus on the story of something people would be interested in...like perhaps a Romulan war, or a teaming up with the Romulans to tackle the Borg, that would deffinitely work.

2. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    Or we could have our new mod retitle the thread.;)

As for examples of Abrams work, watch Alias and Lost.

*has a horrifying thought* Shatner isn't writing this is he?

3. Darth_Pazuzu

Darth_Pazuzu Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 3, 2005
    Wasn't this whole Starfleet Academy idea raised sometime between The Final Frontier and The Undiscovered Country?:rolleyes:Call me a pessimist, but personally, I'm not all that keen on the idea. We'll just have to wait and see, I guess...
    Personally I'd like to see a big-screen version of S.D. Perry's Deep Space Nine: Avatar novels...with Sean Connery as Elias Vaughn!:cool:

4. Rebel_Padawan

Rebel_Padawan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 11, 2003
    Personally I don't want to see two young actor's try to portray Shatner and Nimoy, I don't think it would work at all.

5. RebelScum77

RebelScum77 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 3, 2003
    I'm really excited about the Abrams and Co. move, it's almost too good to be true.

But I am a bit skeptical about the general concept of the film, I think I'll have to wait for more information. But I do have faith in that team.

6. Lord_NoONE

Lord_NoONE Jedi Master star 5

Dec 17, 2001
    If this really is the concept for the film, then as has been stated before and in other threads, casting will be essential. I think they have to go the route of an unknown who can exude the same brash confidence of James Tiberius Kirk and they have to find someone who can be the essence of Spock. Also, would they incorporate Bones, Scotty, and Uhura into the storyline? I'd like to see some J.T. Kirk pimping Uhura in the Academy. :p

7. Son of the Suns

Son of the Suns Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 6, 1999
  8. Nightowl

Nightowl TFN Timetales Writer star 4 VIP

Jul 8, 1998
    I don't know why everybody's so fixiated on this Starfleet Academy thing. Isn't it more likely (esp. considering the new Damon rumor) that they're doing the never-seen "first episode" of TOS -- Year One, Day One of the legendary five-year mission? The first time Kirk, Spock, McCoy etc. assembled as a crew on the Enterprise?

9. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    I think that would put hardcore fans off more than a Starfleet Academy would. And hopefully Abrams knows he needs at least some of the Hardcore fans for his Trek film to fly, no pun intended.

10. Kol_Skywalker

Kol_Skywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 9, 2006
    I really like J. Michael Straczynski's (creator of Babylon 5) Star Trek Reboot idea. Has anyone else read this?

11. DarthButt

DarthButt Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 11, 2003
    Yeah, while it is a good choice for director, I just can't get excited about this idea. The more I hear about it the more I don't like it. I hopped over the ST message boards to see what their reaction was and they hate it too. The actors who played Kirk, Spock, McCoy, etc... they were all lifelong character actors in which that's all they are known for. Getting someone else to fit their shoes just doesn't sit well, and I think it'll be hard for anyone to buy into it. You'd think all the negative reaction would have had an impact on their decision by now.

12. Kol_Skywalker

Jun 9, 2006
    I thought that as well, but in that document, they brought up some valid points such as the multiple actors for James Bond, etc.

Just look how successfull the reboot of Battlestar Galactica has been. Star Trek could and should do the same.

13. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    The Danger in a reboot is that it could be seen as a complete departure of Roddenberry's utopic, Wagon Train to the Stars, vision of the future and anger a lot of the die hard Trek fans who want Trek to remain faithful to that vision.

14. Kol_Skywalker

Jun 9, 2006
    The neo-creators-that-be could still maintain the vision of a future utopia, but like the proposal says, mesh that idea and concept with 21st century multi-arc story-telling, ie: Lost, Prison Break, Babylon 5, etc.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.