main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE
  2. ATTENTION: All leaks and rumors MUST be spoiler tagged. Information from official sources or the big trades do NOT need to be tagged

TV Discussion The Future of Star Wars on TV

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Current and Future Shows' started by ThatWanFromStewjon, Dec 5, 2012.

1. King Maul

King Maul Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 20, 2016
    Okay i give up. But whether it is Disney or Lucasfilm pulling the strings is not the point of this thread so lets get back to the real point of this thread , new animated series.

2. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    I feel like this is nitpicking. I am not an expert in the world of business by any means, but my understanding is that LucasFilm is a wholly owned subsidiary of Disney. And so while LucasFilm does exist as an independent entity for liability and tax purposes, LucasFilm was not and is not a publicly traded company. I can't buy LucasFilm shares. I can buy Disney shares. So shareholders can vote for the Disney Board of Directors, but then management of LucasFilm falls to individuals selected by the elected directors of Disney.

And LucasFilm was purchased by Disney obviously for the aim of making a profit. And LucasFilm's activities are reported to Disney shareholders to that end. Things like the future of Star Wars films and video games are communicated to Disney shareholders, because Disney shareholders control LucasFilm.

Marvel and LucasFilm may be granted a degree of autonomy (I do not know to what extent), but any such autonomy is a privilege. And when it comes to outlining the future of Star Wars, Bob Iger has always seems very involved and privy to what the plan is. When it comes to the future of TV shows, if it is cost prohibitive to keep a show going, Disney retains full rights to shut it down. LucasFilm can't be expected to have the same cavalier attitude when it comes to costs as it did under Lucas, who was no afraid to throw a lot of money into TCW, or reportedly drive the 1313 project into the ground.

Anyway, as far as the topic goes.

Any future TV show I hope removes itself from the time frames of the films. I feel like the future of the Star Wars universe is almost definitely off limits, so a show that takes place in the distant past would be more likely. There is a 30 year gap between ROTJ and TFA to explore, but I can't imagine anything interesting enough taking place then to warrant a TV show that could potentially last 60-100 episodes.

One idea that has appealed to me is the idea of a show that explores Star Wars legends. And by "legends" I don't mean "Legends" as in the old EU, but rather telling a story within the Star Wars universe in the context of it being a legend. Such that the the story can deviate from the laws of the existing "real" Star Wars stories.

For instance. If you look at something like the Bible, it has talking serpents, a burning bush that talks, a global flood, a guy that can cure the blind, etc. Feats and events that are larger than life and that we don't see today in the real world. Such that if what we see in the TV shows and movies is the "real" Star Wars universe, then telling a tale in the distant past of the SW time line and imbuing it with even more fantastic events and feats.

Such that an ancient Sith/Jedi conflict might have characters that fight more along the lines of what we see in TFU or the micro series. Weapons might be grander, characters might seem more fantastic, etc. But at the same time these stories would exist in universe as tales with a gray area of what is "historical" and what is myth.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  3. Darth Basin

Darth Basin Jedi Master star 5

Aug 15, 2015
    Gun to my hed it will be about post Endor.

4. TaradosGon

Feb 28, 2003

That seems to be the consensus in past discussions, and even though I would like to see a show taking place in the distant past, I admit that I am not optimistic for such a show.

Still, I'm not sure they'd do a post-Endor show. Part of me thinks a show taking place between ANH and ESB or between ESB and ROTJ is more likely.

I just don't know what story there is to tell post-ROTJ. The books now exploring that time period seem to pain that period as largely uneventful. Imperial holdouts continue to fight the Rebel Aliiance/New Republic for a bit, then there's a peace treaty, then the First Order pops up years later (and that is shown in TFA). I question if there's enough conflict going on to make an ongoing show about. Perhaps a miniseries. But unless they create a new enemy that arose and fell between the signing of the peace treaty and the rise of the First Order, I'm not sure who the enemy would be.

5. La Calavera

La Calavera Force Ghost star 4

Sep 2, 2015
    ^ I agree. There is no really challenging villain post-Endor and the NEU content is already becoming saturated with rebels vs imperials stories. I mean TFA, Rogue One, Rebels, Battlefront, Star Wars and Poe Dameron comics, most of the novels...

I think a short mini-series revolving about Luke training the new Jedi kids would be interesting, more no more than that. There is no threat in the galaxy during that time period. Arguably the most interesting part of that time period is how Ben became Kylo Ren, but I don’t think Disney animation will touch on that backstory before the trilogy is completed.

A TV show placed during the KOTOR time period but telling a whole new different story would be very cool. Especially one that also explores the first Jedi and Sith; their discoveries of the Force; their first confrontations, but with new characters and in a way we haven’t seen before.

Alternatively, I would be cool with a TV series set in between TPM and ATOC if it also explored the educational structure of the Jedi order, the classes, the different forms, the Jedi trials and the dynamics between students (is there any competition among them?). It’s also a time period of imminent war, worlds falling into Seperatist hands, there is a lot that could be done. I would also be interesting watching young Ahsoka/Kanan taking their trials to become eligible for padawan; Ventress becoming apprenticed to Dooku; Anakin simultaneously learning from Obi-Wan and Palpatine; Jedi going dark like Pong Krell, etc.

Also, I would love to see an anime-style show. One because I think the style would mesh really well with Star Wars, and two because it would be much cheaper to produce and there would be no limiting budget constraints about creating new models, sets and animating clothes.

6. King Maul

Mar 20, 2016
    Agree with the posts above. Series between ANH and ESB would be great and so would a series between TPM and AOTC , showing the reasons the Clone wars started. But i also think a series set before TPM would be great. Could take some stuff from legends comics Republic and act of war into a new series . Anyway i think a new animated series will be set during the sequels, rumors has it that minor characters from TFA will be the main characters in this new series.

7. TetsuAero

TetsuAero Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jan 24, 2008
    Just to be clear, there are no rumours about a new series ;)

8. King Maul

Mar 20, 2016
    http://screenrant.com/star-wars-animated-series-2017-2018/

Dont know if we can trust this source , but there is a rumor .

9. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Check the date on that article. ;)

10. King Maul

Mar 20, 2016
    Still a rumor .

11. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    The same article talks about the 2016 standalone film as being about Boba Fett. Unsubstantiated rumors from two years ago tend to be unsubstantiated for a reason.

[​IMG]

StarWarsFreak93 and jabberwalkie like this.
  12. King Maul

Mar 20, 2016
    Old or new , a rumor is still a rumor. Yeah the rumor has no merit in any longer but its still a rumor , cant argue with that. Anyway i think we may get a animated series surrounding ST characters some time in the future .

13. Skydoll

Skydoll Jedi Master star 1

Apr 27, 2016
    I think a new anthology show could work. One of TCW's greatest strengths was that it didn't focus on one group of characters; it moved about not only in space but time zones too. It could get a little confusing sometimes, but I loved that you got these mini-arcs exploring different facets of the SW universe. That said, I think the LF Story Group is into nailing things into specific time periods now so there are no problematic aspects to continuity.

Failing that, a Bounty Hunters show is a sure winner. But not animated - live action, please!

I do really like the idea of something about a failed Jedi. Or, not failed, but someone who left the Order, has no interest in either it or the Empire and went off to explore the galaxy (no, I'm not necessarily talking about Ahsoka, despite my avatar). I think there are corners of the SW universe not necessarily about the Empire and the rebellion, but that could include new ideas about light and dark aspects of the Force.

Darth Basin and Sixes like this.
  14. Darth Basin

Aug 15, 2015
    I'd like to see a bedtime miniseries type show format. Like a member of the Church of the Force telling his/her kids about the Legend of Revan or Xim the Despot. Every season can feature a different "Legend" Disney can cherry pick, change things around & it's all canon since it's bedtime story so things can be a bit "off".
    I'd prefer live action.

And 4 the love of the Force make it PG minimum!!!!!!!!

Skydoll likes this.
  15. Sixes

Sixes Jedi Master star 2

Apr 5, 2016
    Exactly this! The SW universe isn't just large in time but in size as well it would be a great opportunity to expand many of the side characters, something I've always wanted explored is the Dooku Yoda relationship perhaps from his padawan days. The only thing inhibiting this kind of thing would probably be the cost, despite the assets built up by the T.V team the cost of running an arc based show with multiple different settings and characters would be quite high.

Skydoll likes this.
  16. Skydoll

Skydoll Jedi Master star 1

Apr 27, 2016
    Yeah, that's the sort of thing I mean. But I guess that's always the biggest consideration - budget, even if animated. And Star Wars is so visual, so there's a constant need to generate new environments, design new ships, hardware, aliens, etc.

17. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    99% of the problems rebels faces.:p

18. CounciloftheSith

CounciloftheSith Jedi Youngling

Apr 23, 2016
    I'm really curious to this. Darth Bane is canon, ala Clone Wars, but it would be interesting to see ideas of how be could be introduced.

He's a fascinating character.

19. The Shadow Emperor

The Shadow Emperor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 29, 2012
    Ezra: "That trip to Malachor didn't work out so well. Let's try Moraband instead!"
    Kanan: "Ok."

And there you go. :)

MandoArtist likes this.
  20. TaradosGon

Feb 28, 2003
    Three ways come immediately to mind.

1. Have a future series that takes place when he was still alive.
    2. Have him appear as a holocron/hologram
    3. The Story Group changes their stance on Force Ghosts.

The first one is obvious. The second one could happen because as we see in the Season 2 finale of Rebels, there is a virtual intelligence construct in some holocrons. So if someone found a holocron of Bane's, he could exist as a holocron guardian.

The third one is iffy because there's been a degree of flip flopping on the issue over the years.

In the old EU, Sith spirits were numerous, and they still are in Bioware's non-canon The Old Republic game, which is still releasing content. Then I believe it was the ROTS novelization that established Qui-Gon as saying love was the key to him having retained consciousness in the Force and saying that the Sith would never achieve it. Then during production of the Mortis arc, Lucas himself requested the appearance of two Sith spirits, who would have been responsible for turning Son to the Dark Side. Bane and Revan were selected to be those two Sith, but then Lucas changed his mind and said that he didn't like the idea of Sith being able to be Force ghosts. And more recently, Pablo reiterated that when he was asked on Twitter if Snoke could be a Force ghost, he said that dark siders cannot become ghosts. However, there is concept art for TFA which would have shown Anakin appearing as a Force ghost with a dual nature of both Anakin/Vader. That idea obviously never made it to the final film, but it suggests that the idea was being considered to have the evil side of Anakin still exist in ghost form, which seems like it would contradict the notion that a Dark Sider cannot be a Force ghost.

It's "canon" that the Dark Siders cannot Force ghost, in that Pablo said they cannot, based on what Lucas had said. But at the same time, it's something that could be easily retconned, since I don't believe it was ever stated in a canon source that the Dark Siders cannot Force ghost, it's only been said behind the scenes. And with how much flip flopping there's been, I wouldn't rule it out that some day they'll change their mind and have a Sith spirit.

21. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    A flashback or hologram. But I think Darth Bane is done with, maybe something with Plagueis could pop up if they delve into Maul's origins and Sith background - its mostly all through this character that we heard the Sith Code canonized as he appears to be our guide into that process first with Savage and lil bit with Ezra.

22. Thane_Kyrell

Thane_Kyrell Jedi Knight star 1

May 16, 2016
    I for one would like to see either a show or a movie based on this book.
    I hope it is something that happens.

There have been other novels made into TV shows such as Amazon's Man in the High Castle and Hulu's 11/22/63. Maybe Netflix would be a good platform to bring us this.

Mod EDIT: Merged from Lost Stars thread

23. Todd the Jedi

Oct 16, 2008
    Hi Thane, welcome to the boards. :) We don't allow disparate threads speculating possible TV shows, so it's best to keep these topics in one big thread.

As for a Lost Stars TV show, I don't think that's very likely in the near future since we're already getting an interracial romance series from a Disney-owned property (Marvel's Cloak and Dagger).

24. Darth Basin

Aug 15, 2015
    I highly doubt the Disney Board or the Stockholders have ZERO influence at LFL. Say if the writers be like, "Let's kill off the last Skywalker in 10!" Bob Iger could be like, "Uhmmmmmmm, no, no way."

Note: I think the Disney CEO's is Iger.

My apologies if I went o. topic.

25. MandoArtist

MandoArtist Jedi Master star 4

Nov 12, 2015
    But they certainly don't have absolute dominance either. Disney knows they aren't the Star Wars experts, that's why they need Lucasfilm to do the writing.

Darth Basin likes this.