main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE
  2. ATTENTION: All leaks and rumors MUST be spoiler tagged. Information from official sources or the big trades do NOT need to be tagged

TV Discussion The Future of Star Wars on TV

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Current and Future Shows' started by ThatWanFromStewjon, Dec 5, 2012.

1. StarWarsFreak93

StarWarsFreak93 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2015
    If that were the case then they'd have made Han not die in TFA due to his popularity with fans. If story calls for it, they can kill off whoever they want. Dave even said this in an interview after season 2. When asked if XD would let them kill off the main characters he said of course, if the story was heading there and called for it. I think after the success they've had so far, Iger and Disney are content letting Lucasfilm handle SW's future.

2. Thane_Kyrell

Thane_Kyrell Jedi Knight star 1

May 16, 2016

Well it could also be said for the movies if Poe and Finn happen to be gay...

It was such an awesome book I would like to see something made of it. But Marvel and Star Wars are two different universes so I hope they do decide to just simply because the book itself it so popular. You know if they can make money on it they will do what they can with it.

3. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003

No, they have the right to micromanage to their hearts desire. They own LucasFilm, it's their right to do whatever they want. They could fire Dave Filoni, fire Kathleen Kennedy, cancel Rebels, cut the budget for Rebels, increase the budget for Rebels, etc. Whether they CHOOSE to do that is a different story. So long as money is being made, things are fine. Kathleen Kennedy has a lot of experience, I'm sure they trust her to generate profit, and with a name like Star Wars, it's almost assured that she will. If it's not broke, don't fix it. But if LucasFilm dropped the ball and hypothetically let's say TFA had bombed or Rebels' ratings fell drastically, Disney has the right to cancel it, or rearrange personnel. They own LucasFilm 100%, it's why Star Wars related stuff gets reported at shareholder's meetings, because the Disney Shareholders own Disney, which owns LucasFilm.

Part of the reason I don't suspect we will get two Star Wars shows running simultaneously is because of how they seemed to have slashed the budget for Rebels from what it was for TCW. If they deemed that this was all they were willing to dedicate to a Star Wars show, then I can't imagine they are going to double that for another one. If Rebels becomes a big money maker, I figure they would just increase the budget for Rebels, not get a second show running. When Rebels has run its course, then I'd imagine they would just reallocate the budge for Rebels to a new show.

Or if they were to try to get a second show going, I think it would be in a different format and a different target audience. Kind of like how there is a Spider-Man cartoon that targets young kids, but then there is Agents of Shield which targets a broader audience, and then Daredevil which I would say specifically targets teens and adults at the exclusion of kids.

I don't know that they would have another Disney XD show with expensive animation. They would either go cheaper (and do it in a 2D style more like the Marvel cartoons) or go live action and target a larger audience on a new network or Netflix. But with a movie coming out every year, I would guess that they are going to wait and see if ticket sales remain high for Star Wars over successive years before committing to a live action show.

4. Thane_Kyrell

Thane_Kyrell Jedi Knight star 1

May 16, 2016

I agree but if another show would make money but for other things it might be something to look into. Say for example if they make a TV show about Lost Stars. If they make it then that will generate interest in the characters. And the game Star Wars: Armada already has an expansion coming out with Ciena Ree. All those products need to be licensed through LucasFilm and ultimately Disney. That makes even more money for Disney. Hence it would be good to run a couple shows at once because it would make more money.

Now they might not choose to do so because of the time it takes to make the show. That I might see being the only factor. If they do animation that is.

5. Plainview

Plainview Jedi Knight star 1

May 14, 2016
    With the anthologies under way, I was trying to think of various ideas and angles that could be exciting. One idea that I think would be really cool and interesting, is the following:

We follow the young Sheev Palpatine during his early political career in the republic, a la House of Cards. A TV series. We'd also get to see him train in the arts of the darkside with Plagueis, becoming more powerful and ruthless before finally killing him and taking over; which would also align with a sudden political move that advances him (think Michael Corleone killing of the heads of the five families in The Godfather). We'd also see him hunting Sith artefacts and exploring dark and ancient planets in his time off.

What do you think? Could it work as a TV series?

Call it: I AM the Senate

darklordoftech likes this.
  6. Sgt Crowfield

Sgt Crowfield Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 27, 1999
    I would love it, but that's probably not a good omen. My favorite TV series have a tendency to be terminated in mid-run.

7. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Moving this over to SW TV since the discussion is about a proposed TV series instead of a film.

Trebor Sabreon likes this.
  8. TheSilentInfluence

TheSilentInfluence Retired Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 15, 2014
    Plainview

I merged your thread with our Future of Star Wars on TV thread here. It sounds like an interesting idea for a show.

9. Plainview

May 14, 2016
    Ah cool thanks. The main challenge would be casting the right actor. Someone with the wise intensity and manipulative qualities of Ian McDiarmid, but younger, with more energy and vigour. Tough one.

10. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    I imagined an animated show with McDiarmid voicing. A live-action show with a de-aged McDiarmid would work too.

11. Plainview

May 14, 2016
    I personally see it being live action, simply due to the slightly more mature and dark subject matter.

Adding on to earlier, it'd also be nice to end with Palpatine finding a new born Maul and taking him in. Perhaps we'd see a slightly more compassionate side to Palpatine with his bond with baby Maul. If anyone has seen There Will Be Blood, I imagine something similar to H.W and Plainview.

12. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    Judging by his treatment of Maul in the former EU, or during "The Lawless" and his treatment of the baby Force sensitives in the "Children of the Force" arc, and even his treatment of Dooku/Tyranus and Vader and Luke I don't see Sidious as having any merciful or compassionate side to him. Its doubtful he'd even treat his kin with much sympathy or respect. Luceno portrayed Sidious as always spiteful and revengeful of Plaguis, holding all of his hatred, insults and abuse he sustained from his master well hidden. There was a whole list of 'cides' Sidious kept track of when he attacked Plaguis in his drunken sleep. I don't know if Sidious is particularly interesting or something that would make a Hollywood movie, as his book or movie would be probably something along Mein Kampf.

13. Plainview

May 14, 2016
    I get that, for the most part. But I guess the point of the series would be to show that Palpatine wasn't inherently 'evil' from the beginning, and his fall to the Dark Side, and subsequently becoming the Emperor, was a process that took time. So I don't think it's too out there to show his bond with Maul, at least at the start. He did raise him for years, after all; there had to be some form of 'affection' there in order for that to happen; we even see that slightly with Anakin in RotS, especially when Sidious find him on Mustafar. Even Hitler loved his family.

I also thought Sidious was by far the most interesting part of the Prequels, personally, but this idea would cater to a fairly specific audience.

14. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    I think its important to not humanize Sidious, as he's the head villain for the saga since TPM onwards even a little past ROTJ in the comics where his will is still being implemented in some form by his lackeys and military. I agree with the actor:

"And then of course I thought Palpatine was a pretty good character. I like the notion that he didn't have any psychological subtlety or depth, that he was just solidly evil and the dirtiest word in his vocabulary was 'friend'. I thought that was terrific."

-Ian McDiarmid

I think the movie would need a strong face & protagonist, and Sidious is no anti-hero or anti-villain, he's a straight heel & antagonist. Even Sidious is not Hitler, he's supposed to be worse lacking any aspect of humanity. it took three movies and basically an animated series(two if you count the micro and more the comics or EU novels) to tell the story of he fall of Anakin Skywalker so not sure a single movie would tell the story of both Plagueis and Palpatine as it would be very hard to have just Palpatine plus Palpatine is a weak and pathetic looking human being, and that was part of the interesting thing about him and Yoda, they could not be judged by their looks alone and they used to their advantage, especially the Palpatine persona. But we have to keep in mind Sidious was likely chosen at a very young age like Darth Maul was by him, so like Maul or Plagueis before Sidious the tradition was kidnapping or abducting a specific younglings before the Jedi found them to raised and trained to become Sith Lords. So the Dark Side likely was not out've choice for the majority of the Bane's legacy Sith, and that may actually make these kinda Sith Lords more powerful as it seemed to have worked in creating the most powerful and resilient Sith. The only other thing I could think of is Palpatine was like Faust, and came across Darth Plaguis the Devil and made pact with him I think it would be too awkward this way since the Jedi would've found out Palpatine as a Force sensitive way beforehand and it would make Sidious as less lineal Sith Lord and more just another Count Dooku or Anakin converso which I personally am not that interested in.

I think though the book could be interesting if it was done like some of Luceno's books made before, so I am not against it. I would've liked to seen Darth Maul:Battle of the Sith Lords more than Maul's origin game pitch that mainly took place before TPM, so not sure how much material would be there to fill a game. But they do need to eventually portray the training of these Sith Lords like Plagueis, Sidious and Maul and perhaps Tyranus's conversion. But like the Maul origin pitch, maybe it could be interesting having Maul as the protagonist and Sidious occupying the part of the antagonist, as all part of typical Sith training. Sidious I think works better as mostly mysterious, like Plagueis even Plagueis kinda became another doofus in his own book and still featured Sidious/Palpatine and Maul and a plot beyond just a sole character.

15. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    I'd be all for humanizing Palpatine. I don't like the idea of Palpatine just being unbelievably evil, always, just because.

I feel like he had to make decisions to get there.

And we never saw suggestive go from Sith apprentice to master. Palpatine was the master from the beginning of TPM and his plan was already set in motion. All his apprentices plotted against him at some point or another, but every plan ultimately failed or was never followed through on.

I feel like how he teaches is a reflection of how he was taught. He probably went through a lot of similar stuff to Vader's experience, but made different decisions. What would Vader had become had he let Luke die? Irredeemably evil? I kind of get that hunch.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  16. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Well if i were to do a tv series i'd say the best thing to do would be some sorta Post ROTJ series, either with new characters or better the OT Trio with voice actors.

Since Thrawn is coming back in Rebels i'd make him a main baddies since that's his era.

I'd also have the beginnings of the First Order be set up in the series, show Brendol Hux probably as a main Villain setting up his Stormtroopers academies in the unknown regions, probably show new factions rise up like Pirate Empires and what not. Maybe even see a young Ben Solo as well, that would be interesting i guess depending when you set it. You have 30 years so depending on when you set it there's a lot to work with.

17. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Now if I can't get a show set before TPM I'll take a show between ROTJ and TFA with the new Republic and in similar style to TCW.

darthtimetraveller likes this.
  18. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    Since I'd say most would agree that the most probable time period the next series will take place in will be in the post ROTJ era (even if that may not be the time period they personally would most like to see) so the question then is what point during the thirty year gap do you think it would be most likely to land? If they wanted it to be a show with a lot of action featuring a lot of Han and Leia (and occasionally Luke though it seems he is mostly off doing his own thing) it would really need to land in the first year following Jedi. After that a show featuring a lot of Han and Leia would mostly be political with Leia acting a lot like Padme did during TCW.

They could do a show featuring Luke's Jedi Acadamey but I have a feeling that is a story that will be left for the big screen. Of course they could always do a show far removed from the New Republic and Luke's Acadamey and that could take place at any point during the thirty year gap. That might be the most logical choice of what we will get.

19. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Well this is how i would do a post ROTJ series myself.

First off...I would make this a anthology series first and foremost. Since the POST ROTJ series really doesn't have a massive war or event to depict it only seems natural to do more individual stories detailing the adventures of Han, Luke and Leia. Thought it would be a bit weird because i worry it would feel a bit to Star Trek like, heck even the New Republic Defense Forces seem like Star Fleet from what little i know about them, but then again who knows. Obviously if you go in a political angle for Leia having her and Mon Mothma set up the New Republic dealing with local issues of planets and what not.

Luke obviously will begin setting up a Jedi Academy, probably searching Ancient Jedi sight,s showing off Jedi tombs, maybe go into some ancient Sith ones as well etc etc. Heck you could even bring back some old Jedi character from those books, like Kyle Katarn and so on and so forth.

And Han...Is Han.

Now the one thing i do think will be odd to deal with like you said is where you set this. It is more than possible that it could possibly deal with the adventures of also a young Ben Solo, young meaning at least 13, 14 at least. My fear with that is both TCW and Rebels had trouble (Rebels might still have trouble depending on how Season 3 goes) in dealing with "Child Characters" but i guess it could be interesting. TCW did a good job in showing Anakins slow descent to the Darkside, showing both a hero and a potential Villian. And for all we know, Ben Solo could have been a great kid and then slowly descended to the darkness till Snoke finally got him.

Speaking off...This is where i feel the post ROTJ era will have difficulty. Who is the Villain.

The First Order didn't really appear until just a few years or months (IDK) before TFA. So who do you make your antagonist. Do you make new ones (Pirates, Private Armies, Etc) Or do you find a way to bring the First Order into the show.

Personally the way i would do it (And a way to bring some Post ROTJ Fan Favs into the show) is to have High Ranking Imps who didn't join up with the First Order be some of the main antagonist or at least antagonist in the series.

For example I would have a character like...IDK....Ysanne Isard show up, still make her former head of Imperial Intelligence when the Empire fell take over a planet and be it's dictatorial ruler and use it as a base to rebuild the Empire in her image (And yes i am taking HEAVY inspiration from the Bacta War novels) that way you can still have familiar enemies (Empire, Stormtroopers, Etc) and have a good reason to show them. My only concern is that if you use the Imperial Warlord to much it will feel repetitive a bit to much so that is why i would stick to really only Isard and then Thrawn.

Now Thrawn my idea for him ironically enough comes from the SWOTOR Timeline. Basically Thrawn will be what Revan was to Vitate. The first wave before a main attack. Thrawn could be working or Snoke or at least the First Order, and be the first wave to accelerate the enviable invasion of the First Order on the known Galaxy. And knowing Filoni if he doesn't kill of Thrawn in rebels he will try to have his take on the Thrawn Trilogy if he gets his chance (I just know it).

As for other things you could do....IDK maybe a shoutout to the YuzonVong....Dark Nest Crisis, IDK.....Some sort of version of that, I...I would know.

Obviously i'd use other characters, new, old, give them adventures much like Clone Wars did.

But yeah, i feel that a post ROTJ series is likely to happen. My only main concern though would be, what sorta identity does it try to establish for itself, what sort of tone, since say what you will of Rebels or even TCW, both have a identity in there pre Established Eras. Rebels has the OT Era (Whether or not you think that was executed well ) and TCW had the Clone Wars to work off, a massive war of great scale. And strangely the way i see a tone of post ROTJ Era without a massive conflict is early Star Trek DS9 or Star Trek TOS (hopefully late Star Trek TOS) I know i probably just started something by saying that but that's just my honest opinion. And of course my other main concern would be characterizing young Ben Solo and how you handle him.

But yeah those are just some of my ideas for a post ROTJ series and what they could do. Doubt they will, but hey. It's Star Wars, you never know.

vncredleader likes this.
  20. Twain

Twain Jedi Master star 3

Aug 12, 2014
    It's possible a post-ROTJ series would be formatted similarly to Rebels.

It could be an entirely new and original set of characters set against the post-Endor background. And the original heroes would only make sporadic cameos when they could be reasonably worked in the story.

21. Darth_Voider

Darth_Voider Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2015
  22. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    I hope it's a series set post-Endor. With that era opening up more with new books and comics I think it'd be great to see the further adventures of Luke, Han and Leia... and new characters of course but I don't care about them as much. :p

23. Darth_Voider

Darth_Voider Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2015
    If it's post-Endor with the Big Three, Mark Hamill should do the voice of Luke Skywalker.

To be clear, Muro only said that she's working on a new Lucasfilm project, so this itself doesn't mean that it is Star Wars related. Though I think since their focus is on Star Wars at the moment, it most likely has something to do with Star Wars.

24. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    Yeah, as the article on MSW says the only other property that makes sense would be Indiana Jones and I doubt they're ready to go there yet. Although an animated Indiana series might be a lot of fun!

25. Zillobeast

Zillobeast Jedi Padawan star 1

Jun 6, 2016
    2-D animated show made by Tartavosky, anyone? A lot of people seem to like the 2003 Clone Wars, so a canon show in a similar style would be excellent!

podjazd likes this.