main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE
  2. ATTENTION: All leaks and rumors MUST be spoiler tagged. Information from official sources or the big trades do NOT need to be tagged

TV Discussion The Future of Star Wars on TV

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Current and Future Shows' started by ThatWanFromStewjon, Dec 5, 2012.

1. DavrelKex

DavrelKex Jedi Knight star 2

Aug 18, 2016
    If they touch the Old Republic era, I'd want it to be something completely new and not just a rebranding of the old storylines from that era. Namely, I'd like to see the Jedi v Sith battle on Malachor, the Mandalorian Crusade into the outer rim and whatever event led them to sacking the Jedi Temple. I wouldn't mind seeing a canonized version of Bane creating the Rule of Two either.

2. Darthur C. Clarke

Darthur C. Clarke Jedi Master star 3

Jul 8, 2016
    I think even speculating about what's next is a futile gesture yet (but maybe fun anyway!). I'll bet episode 8 is going to open up the GFFA a bit, add new factions and such we aren't privy too, and the Han Solo movie could easily reinforce it. Already TFA gave us the Church of the Force, whatever version of force-user Maz Kanata is, the First Order, a resistance separate from an actual formed New Republic, and wherever Rey comes from if she's not a Skywalker. Rogue One gave the the Guardians of the temple of the Whills, underhanded rebel intelligence operatives and extremist (and pacifistic) soldiers. I don't think it will involve the end of the Empire, post ROTJ; the aftermath series is handling that.

While the original Thrawn trilogy would be out of the question to re-canonize with the events in Aftermath, i could see a retooled Hand of Thrawn type series, with the real deal instead of a con man and a clone. Supposedly they were steeling against a grave threat from the unknown regions; in the new canon this is the home of the First Order...

I could see Luke's Academy being explored. Or even just the search. Luke and Ben Solo, searching the galaxy for potential jedi and getting into adventures along the way. (like, they need to go undercover, and Ben goes by Jacen....haha!)

3. StayOnTarget86

StayOnTarget86 Jedi Youngling

Dec 16, 2015

I just don't see anything happening Old Republic-wise on television for a long, long time - the same kind of timeline that those in charge of the story-telling department of the company were allowed to go to after promoting and developing the characters around episodes 4-5 & 1-3... about 20-25 years.

The Old Republic is fantastic - the KOTOR game is one of my favourite of all time - it opened up a new world of Star Wars that was widely-loved and incredibly-interesting.

I just think the Star Wars market (the wider demographics that like Star Wars, without obsessing over it enough to jump on fan boards like you and I) is a growing-one, but not big and mature enough to support stories that happened 5000 years before the stories they grew up with.

Gotta be honest, the 5000 year time difference always bugged me a little. The technology gap not being all that large - it was very hard for me to swallow and while it's one thing to do it in a game, I think it would be tough to get most people to accept on a bigger platform.

We've got years and years of interesting TV, games, novels and comics to fit in between movies we've loved for years, so while I'd love to see OR on TV, I won't be disappointed if it's not.

mackmitchell94 and redxavier like this.
  4. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    Though their is likely about 99% chance the next series will be a post ROTJ series what will be interesting though is when during the timeline it will take place. I doubt it will happen immediatately following Jedi since the Aftermath trilogy pretty much has that covered already. I could see a series set following the Aftermath trilogy when the New Republic is starting to finally take hold of things and could show us Luke's preparation to trying to begin a new Acadamey and Ben being born.

5. mackmitchell94

mackmitchell94 Jedi Knight

Jan 15, 2016
    Yeah the 4,000 year gap is a bit much!! That's why I think they should make it closer to the films, whenever I play Kotor I always feel there's no way it takes place 4,000 before. That's why I think If they do a Kotor tv series they should move it to that 1,000 years before the films period!! We already know during that was when the sith were supposedly wiped out, the show would be live action and run for like 6 or 7 seasons maybe the first 4 seasons taking place during the Mandaolorian wars and then the last 3 the Jedi civil war.

6. mackmitchell94

mackmitchell94 Jedi Knight

Jan 15, 2016
    Yeah but I don't see why they would need to replace the characters from KOTOR, those are great characters and it would be cool to see a live action tv show based around those characters. Also the story's so good it's easily material for great television series. I'm sure it wouldn't be hard for Lucasfilm to throw in some new twists in there to make it new and fresh!!

7. TheSilentInfluence

TheSilentInfluence Retired Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 15, 2014
    Please don't double post mackmitchell94 as it counts as a form of spam. Use the edit button to avoid double posting. Or wait until someone else posts after you before you post again. If it's been a day or more then you may post once more to keep the conversation going.

mackmitchell94 likes this.
  8. DAH

DAH Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 7, 2017
    Id like to see a animated series about a younger Yoda.....always felt like I never got to see enough of him in The Clone War's.....and his arc in The Lost Mission's was incredible......

Pfluegermeister likes this.
  9. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    I wish someday the PT era is given 1 more series. Though a big issue would be the budget. If Disney stays in the Rebels budget range, then I don't see how we could get more PT era content since those stories often deal with the Republic and various civilizations/cities. Seeing many people that a rebels budget couldn't do.

But I do hope for a series that begins pre-AoTC showing a Jedi Order and Republic in peace time (while also expanding on the soon to be CIS characters) and following various Jedi around. Which later delves into the early years of the clone wars, ending before TCW starts.

Darkslayer and DAH like this.
  10. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    Ya I think a post-ROTJ series focusing on Luke, Leia, and Han is pretty likely.

11. SynCrow

SynCrow Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 7, 2017
    A TV show on bounty hunters, Jabba the Hutt and the whole criminal underworld would be fantastic. Wasn't Lucas developing a live-action series about a similar subject to that before Disney acquired the franchise?

12. smudger9

smudger9 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 29, 2007
    Yes, but they couldn't get the conceit to work financially.

I'm hoping the Han Solo movie will flesh out the criminal underworld.

13. Mother_Talzin

Mother_Talzin Jedi Master star 4

Aug 23, 2014
    I'm curious if anyone else is ready for a break after Rebels ends sometime in the next few years? While I've enjoyed both CW series and Rebels, I'm worried it's becoming too much of a good thing, especially with a new movie each year. They could cover the post ROTJ era, or give us a live action series, but it feels like overstaturation. I suppose it boils down to whether fandom wants every unexplored era to be explained in the new canon...

14. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    They will have a series to go within the year Rebels finishes.

From a business standpoint it would be stupid not to make another show. Especially because Rebels is one of the highest viewed shows on XD.

podjazd and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  15. DavrelKex

DavrelKex Jedi Knight star 2

Aug 18, 2016
    I'd really like them to do the next show on a different platform than XD. Preferably Netflix. Rebels has done pretty well in keeping things "adult" enough to be interesting, but the XD constrictions are still pretty visible. I say slap the team on Netflix and let them do the stories they want to do, exactly the way they want to do them.

podjazd, BigAl6ft6 and DarthRosie like this.
  16. Starwarsfan9000

Starwarsfan9000 Jedi Master star 3

Feb 24, 2012
    Is Rebels on Netflix yet? While that would be an interesting and potentially good idea there's also the idea to keep in mind that Netflix is a business and if it sees no ultimate income back in something then they probably won't pick it up or sometimes they might not pick it up because they want to try and keep things to original programming. I know it's easy to point out that its Star Wars and it makes money no matter what but we don't know how the ratings are for Rebels. Sure they are big enough to guarantee another season but how much did they have to do in order to get that? It's hard to say really but I wouldn't mind it going off XD.

17. Darkslayer

Mar 26, 2013
    Whatever the next series is, I don't want it to be focused on a group of random characters. Give us something that contributes to the main plot directly! Also, don't shy away from the bad guys victories.

starocean90 likes this.
  18. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    I mean neither of the shows have been that good at letting the bad guys win.

19. Darkslayer

Mar 26, 2013
    I know.

20. jabberwalkie

jabberwalkie Jedi Master star 4

Dec 2, 2014
    I don't think this is so much a concern for this franchise as it will be for the superhero genre films/series. Between the MCU, DCEU, and the various TV shows now either in production or on going, there's just so much flooding the market in that genre. There's not a whole lot out there in the same vein as Star Wars. We know that Star Trek is working on another movie, and Discovery is coming..... sometime..... but Star Trek is pretty different from Star Wars so they don't really compete directly with each other and can survive independently IMO.

The thing I worry about for the franchise is the anthology films. I think that the Han Solo film will do well because of the character. Beyond that, I think people could tire of that format because of being a one shot and done and really not building upon anything else. The MCU movies are building upon each other, and I think people like that. One thing that Star Wars has been doing is filling out the universe to make it feel a little bigger with new characters, while still having established characters show up and provide an anchor of sorts so that we remember a connection to the larger events that occur in the timeline.
    Personally, I think we're probably a couple of years from another show being introduced. Rather than building forward on events with a new production like other franchise, Star Wars/Lucasfilm has been going back with their shows and filling in events between the movies. I think it's worked well for them, and when you look at the disconnection between Agents of Shield and the larger MCU as a whole, that's not necessarily a bad thing.

21. TetsuAero

TetsuAero Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jan 24, 2008
    Hm... i believe they will either go for a series set inbetween Ep IV-VI or a post Ep VI series. This would let them have connections with TFA and TLJ, which is something i see Disney would push for.

Or they might surprise use and go The Old Republic route to be able to tell more stories freely.

22. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    No way is that going to happen just yet when they have thirty years to fill up in the post Jedi period.

23. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    Knowing Lucasfilm though they'll be like " we have so many years to explore!" Then they'll start it within 5 years of TFA. :p

24. TetsuAero

TetsuAero Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jan 24, 2008
    That's why i said "surprise us" you silly goose. Plus those 30 years might still be too close to TFA and TLJ for their comfort. (remember how they made Rebels first?)

25. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    I'm not worried at all, rebels is doing fantastic and the inclusion of all those great Empire hardware is awesome. Season 3 has been very good and has expanded the series even more. Can't wait for season 4 and hopefully season 5. We have to get over 100 episodes with rebels. Now for the anthology movies, I agree. The Han Solo movie is very iffy for me and if Disney/Lucasfilm decide to just do one -offs that don't connect to the bigger saga, I can tell you that it could become a problem. Marvel's one-offs all add and build into there cinematic universe and next year will culminate in there epic two-parter Infinity war. The anthologies can't just be a run of the mill story just to tell a story. R1 was a movie that in many ways tied into the OT saga (A New Hope). The Ham Solo movie could be a total ham and if its not, it could be one that makes less than a billion dollars. Especially, if they change it to Dec 2018 when Avatar 2 may come out. It will get clobbered and the haters and trolls will come on and say how Avatar trounced star wars. Other than that star wars is in good hands and we are going to be getting some great stories. Epsiode 8 and 9 look to rock. Period.