The Future of Star Wars on TV

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV' started by ThatWanFromStewjon, Dec 5, 2012.

1. ThatWanFromStewjon Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    Pixar, Marvel and now Star Wars.
  2. KenobiSkywalker Force Ghost

star 4
    Marvel's Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes and Ultimate Spider-Man were both canceled if I recall correctly.
    Seerow likes this.
  3. Seerow SWTV★Manager

Manager
    star 6
    Supposedly those were canceled because of Sony who was making them at the time of the Marvel buyout. However Disney XD is yanking Naruto off the air because they can't censor it enough.
    KenobiSkywalker likes this.
  4. ThatWanFromStewjon Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    Neither of those shows are cancelled - Ultimate Spiderman season 2 is coming next year as is a sequel series to Avengers - which is being re- imagined into a version closer to the movie universe.
  5. QuangoFett Force Ghost

star 4
    Spectacular Spider Man was cancelled, though that was primarily for intellectual property-related reasons rather than simply Disney's editorial control. Disney does have a good recent track record of leaving its subsdiaries to their own devices, though that may change with new management. A Pixar, Marvel or Lucasfilm flop would probably result in tighter control from HQ, though enough autonomy would probably be retained to allow Disney to spin-off and sell them off if it comes to that.

What I found most notable about Ultimate Spider Man in the few episodes I watched was the fact that Matt Lanter was voicing Harry Osborn. :p
    LawJedi likes this.
  6. Dark Lord Tarkas Force Ghost

star 4
    I really cannot see the ST flopping at the theaters. Don't know how TCW film did, but if the PT did so well, I think any live-action part of the saga proper that's a new chapter will do well.
  7. QuangoFett Force Ghost

star 4
    The ST may not flop, but there are plenty of other hypothetical Lucasfilm projects that might. Same with Marvel and Pixar. New management would have new methods.
  8. Dark Lord Tarkas Force Ghost

star 4
  9. Seerow SWTV★Manager

Manager
    star 6
    Doesn't mean the franchise won't feel more hollow with a few popcorn blockbusters out there just like Marvel puts them out by the dozens.
    Last edited by Seerow, Dec 6, 2012
  10. vong333 Force Ghost

star 4
    I'm not really worried since only good things will happen. No matter, if there are more star wars tv series we can expect it to be totally different than the clone wars. The clone wars will be a unique series. It has GL involved in the entire story process, the action of the show, animation, character designs and stuff like that. When this finishes, there won't be another series like it. Whatever they do will be different regardless. What I do expect, is as we get closer to 2015, star wars will start to gear towards Epsiode 7 and we will start seeing a big drop of anything else within the 6 movie series and the old EU, with the exception of maybe the clone wars. That may go from 7 to 10 seasons. Especially if they still tell stories in 4 episode arcs like they are doing now. They can get a lot of mileage out of that, but for everthing else, I can see the marketing machine working towards promoting the new trilogy, new situations, and stuff like that. You guys need to start taking into consideration that this is the direction that they will be headed. For some it will be joy, but for others that still cling on live action series between Epsiode 3 and 4 and stuff like that...not so much. Until Disney/Lucasfilm tell us different, I expect it to go down this route.
    Last edited by vong333, Dec 7, 2012
  11. Zeta1127 Force Ghost

star 4
    I don't want there to be any future for Star Wars on TV if its going to be disrespectful of everything that came before it like TCW, but its quite clear that LFL has been programmed to believe anything from Lucas is superior.
  12. Dark Lord Tarkas Force Ghost

star 4
    I doubt either future TV shows or future films will abide EU, and since the films won't be directly from GL I don't think that will be why, I think that will just be the general approach to the franchise.
    KenobiSkywalker likes this.
  13. Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan Force Ghost

star 4
    The Future of Star Wars on TV is Star Wars TV... ;)
  14. Seerow SWTV★Manager

Manager
    star 6
    A entire Star Wars Channel? Well... Disney is a partial owner of Hulu so I imagine there could be a Star Wars channel on there.
  15. ThatWanFromStewjon Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    Yes, there is only great stuff on the horizon. :)

TCW is awesome and once it finishes everything will gear towards the ST era.

Hopefully, though, the Rebellion and Post-ROTJ will get an animated series too.

I think it would be cool if all future Star Wars animation was done in the style of TCW, but it will be interesting to see what they will do.
  16. Narutakikun Force Ghost

star 4
    What would I like to see (in addition to the Young Indy CGI series I just started a thread about)?

A CGI series that bridges the gap between the PT and OT, featuring Vader hunting down the remaining Jedi.

A CGI series set in the KOTOR timeframe.

A CGI series following Plagueis and Sidious
  17. zodiac brave Jedi Padawan

if a 6th season does happen it'll more than likely be on XD no matter what. as for editing or censorship concerns from disney...well they outright own it now, so there's no "as is". they call the shots and make the decisions. if they want it changed or watered down, it'll happen. as owners they're beholden to no one but themselves. :/
  18. Fives_Says_No_To_Sixes Jedi Grand Master

star 3
    Once the Disney acquisition and Episode VII was announced, I think a lot of people got excited because of what disney did with the Avengers (Choosing Whedon and letting the right things to be done with the film - not getting in the way with what they didn't understand). I agree with this point of view for Episode VII but what about TV? I feel like there's a general feeling out there that Disney's TV quality is very low.

I've felt that in the passed 15 years, Star Wars has done better with TV than films (Really just saying prequels v. TCW and CW)...Will Disney's acquisition reverse this trend do you think?
  19. 07jonesj Force Ghost

star 4
    It'll be the same writers, animators, producers... just Disney will be on the title. I truly don't expect a decrease in quality.

We'll have to see what this division decides to make after The Clone Wars ends.
    Seerow likes this.
  20. Fives_Says_No_To_Sixes Jedi Grand Master

star 3
    I meant it more about after TCW finishes its run... but I hope your'e right across the board.
    Seerow and 07jonesj like this.
  21. Togruta Force Ghost

star 4
    Reading a bunch of stuff about the sequels.. does anyone even remember Detours? lol
    07jonesj likes this.
  22. 07jonesj Force Ghost

star 4
    That was scrapped. Right. Right?
  23. Dark Lord Tarkas Force Ghost

star 4
    Agreed as-is, but add in the fact that the atrocious Ewoks and Droids cartoons fall outside that time-frame and perhaps you're even more right than you realized.
    Last edited by Dark Lord Tarkas, Jan 8, 2013
  24. Seerow SWTV★Manager

Manager
    star 6
    Coming to a Disney XD near you, maybe... along with Disney's Star Wars: The Clone Wars.
    07jonesj likes this.
  25. 07jonesj Force Ghost

star 4
    Ha. I honestly don't mind Detours. It's humour looks to be aiming for younger kids, so I doubt I'll watch the whole show avidly. Catch some episodes here and there.

It's certainly not canon so it's not messing anything up, just a silly little show they're making for kids - nothing wrong with that!