main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE
  2. ATTENTION: All leaks and rumors MUST be spoiler tagged. Information from official sources or the big trades do NOT need to be tagged

TV Discussion The Future of Star Wars on TV

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Current and Future Shows' started by ThatWanFromStewjon, Dec 5, 2012.

1. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    A new show beginning immediately after the Battle of Jakku would be the perfect spot to put it in the timeline. There is virtually nothing known from about 5ABY to 28 ABY (when Leia begins to form the Resistance). Ben would still be a toddler during the course of the show so you wouldn't have to worry about interfering with anything in his story and Luke would likely be off on his own doing his own thing so you wouldn't have to worry about him either.

They could tell stories about finishing off the holdovers of the Empire (which we already know continued to fight for awhile after Jakku) plus they could have all the smaller scale disputes they could ever want without it running into any continuity problems. Great way to let people know what came of Hera and Sabine as they grew older and the New Republic was formed. As well as giving us a future story for Ezra if they don't want to kill him off in the final season of Rebels.

I guess the only thing that could potentially get in the way of them being able to do whatever they wanted during that time period would be in whatever happens in that upcoming Battlefront game. But the game is going to be told mainly from the Imperial perspective so I imagine the games story and the shows story wouldn't be in that much of a danger of contradicting one another.

Snafu55 likes this.
  2. Bilbo Fett

Bilbo Fett Force Ghost star 5

Apr 19, 2017
    The odds of a live action Star Wars series went up today. The biggest barrier has, in my mind, always been the necessity of a premium platform to justify the budget that such a show will require. You'd almost expect Disney to leverage the popularity of Star Wars to lure in subscribers.

Disney To Pull Movies From Netflix, Launch Streaming Service

3. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Well this confirms that TCW won't be on Netflix much longer

4. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    If it gets me Rae Sloane in a show in a big way, then I'm all for it. She could be a big deal in the post-ROTJ Empire hierarchy.

5. ChrisLyne

ChrisLyne Force Ghost star 4

Oct 29, 2002
    I'm not getting excited just yet. For now all that's confirmed is Disney and Pixar branded stuff, Marvel and Lucasfilm are still TBD. They may get their own subscriptions (like WB are doing for DC), they may get added to this (which would make more sense than separate subscriptions) or they may stick with Netflix (Marvel's Netflix series are doing great at the moment so why rock the boat?).

All I know is if studios are planning to all do their own subscription services then they are going to have to be very careful on pricing. Disney already tried Disney Life in the UK and it pretty much flopped. No new content (just Disney & Pixar movies, box sets of Disney Channel & Disney XD shows plus streaming music) and they wanted more per month than Netflix's premium 4K subscription. They ended up halving the price in less than a year (less than 6 months even I think). If people are going to have to replace a single service, like Netflix, with multiple services (like Disney, DC, Marvel & Lucasfilm) then the pricing needs to reflect that. Or they'll need to put up a heck of a lot of unique/exclusive content to justify whatever cost they come up with.

6. Bilbo Fett

Bilbo Fett Force Ghost star 5

Apr 19, 2017
    I think they'll sit on the Marvel and Star Wars decision/announcement until some of the current shows make it through the pipeline. The problem you mentioned with their Disney Life service would be at least partially remedied by having everything under one roof and Netflix will be a direct competitor at that point.

7. smudger9

smudger9 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 29, 2007
    I just wish they would announce something. There is now a very real
    possibility that there will be no Star Wars TV show running in 2018/2019.

8. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015
    We'll definitely have a Star Wars animation series for the 2018/19 tv season. They are just waiting for Rebels to end to announce it. They have been working on a new show for probably close to two years now.

If they announced it now people would be talking about that show and not the final season of Rebels. Also the new show might deal with stuff we will learn about in TLJ.

9. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    It would be a dream come true if the new series was set in the old republic era. Lets follow a jedi duo in a "new world" while not hampered by Order 66/purge or the Kylo Rampage.

SilentGuy66 likes this.
  10. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    Best bet is that they'll make an announcement some time next year, maybe at D23. Until Rebels is long gone, there isn't much since in coming out with a new show or series.

But, what I do think they'll do is announce a run of shows, probably including a Live Action show and the new Animated show, to make the whole package more appealing. If they were smart, they'd bank hard on exclusives for their existing properties, with some original IPs tossed in to test the water.

11. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015
    I imagine D23 2018 will be very Star Wars heavy since they aren't going to have a celebration next year. It's supposed to be in mid February so that would be a good time to have it. Rebels should have just concluded by then (not sure if they plan on taking a mid season break or running the season straight through since it is going to be a shortened one) and it would be a great time to start up the hype for the show they have been working on.

12. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    Their will be another star wars series. At minimum there is going to be a third season of the freemakers, plus whatever they are coming out with and I anticipate that we will get more shorts like forces of destiny. Star Wars is in good hands...no worries here

13. ChrisLyne

Oct 29, 2002
    There is no D23 next year, the next one is 2019. It'll be interesting to see where they do promotion next year without D23 and Celebration.

14. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    Huh, interesting. Maybe they'll bump it back a year?

15. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015
    There is going to be a D23 expo in Japan next year. Is that not the same as the D23 where they announce all kinds of future projects?

16. Jedi Master Scorpio

Jedi Master Scorpio Star Wars Television star 5 Staff Member Manager

Oct 24, 2015
    I have my money in hand for this new service as soon as it is available.

17. ChrisLyne

Oct 29, 2002
    To be honest I don't know! I didn't even realize they were doing one in Japan next year.

Just checked and it's in February so maybe they'll debut Han Solo's behind the scenes there? Or possibly the main international trailer? Looking at their 2015 event they did get an event exclusive TFA trailer. Doesn't look like they got any new (film/TV) project announcements but it sounds like they did get a lot of the previews that the Anaheim D23 audience got that summer plus the exclusive TFA trailer. So I'd expect they'll get a lot of the exclusive stuff from summer's D23, maybe a few extra bits due to the bigger time gap (so a new Infinity War teaser maybe rather than the D23/SDCC one) plus something Han Solo related.

Just a thought but given this service won't begin until 2019 and they're not commenting on Marvel or Star Wars yet, that would likely put any Star Wars content into 2020 at earliest. So maybe we'll get an announcement at Celebration 2019?

18. MrDarth0

MrDarth0 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 3, 2015

I'm not sure if Star Wars is in good hands, but there'll definitely be another Star Wars series, we can agree on that.

TetsuAero, revan772 and SilentGuy66 like this.
  19. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
    Shadows of the Empire would be a good choice to be a short animated series, they could look at filling the gap between ANH and TESB too if they wanted to go back to TCW style with using already established characters. Failing that I wouldn't be surprised if something relating to Battlefront, a Starfighter squadron or an ensemble team of agents and commandos.

TetsuAero likes this.
  20. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    I Bielefeld that whichever era The next Star Wars show is setting it needs to have a arc from beginning to end and a plan number of seasons

21. MrDarth0

MrDarth0 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 3, 2015

I agree, however the problem is, if a show becomes really popular, the studios usually push for more and more seasons until they bleed it dry.

But I would love the era between ANH and ESB/ROTJ with the old crew and perhaps some new additions. Right now, with the exception of few not that memorable novels, we only have the Marvel comic series set in that era, which in my opinion got really stale.

SilentGuy66 likes this.
  22. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015
    To be honest given the timing that they are choosing to end Rebels I think the next show being a post Jedi series is almost guaranteed. As far as the time period between ESB and ROTJ I think that is going to be left up to the comics to fill in.

revan772 likes this.
  23. starfish

starfish Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    I would be all for a ROTJ era show. In addition to the main characters, new characters like Rey Sloane, Shara Bey, Sinjir, and the others from the aftermath trilogy could all make appearances.

24. Chris0013

Chris0013 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    I will say it again...they should do an anthology. Jump around from TPM to Ep. 9. Tell all sorts of stories. Republic, Seperatist, Rebel, Imperial, smuggler, bounty hunter, etc...and do single episode stories or 3-5 episode arcs.

LittleDefel and MCAdventureCity like this.
  25. SpecForce Trooper

SpecForce Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Jun 19, 2016
    We aren't going to get an announcement now. I'm predicting at the last Rebels episode, after the credits finish, there will be a teaser for the next show.