main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE
  2. ATTENTION: All leaks and rumors MUST be spoiler tagged. Information from official sources or the big trades do NOT need to be tagged

TV Discussion The Future of Star Wars on TV

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Current and Future Shows' started by ThatWanFromStewjon, Dec 5, 2012.

1. ChrisLyne

ChrisLyne Force Ghost star 4

Oct 29, 2002
    I'm hoping the next animated series is either set post-Jakku/pre-TFA with Luke, Han and Leia or The Old Republic. Probably the former as I'm thinking they may want to launch the Old Republic era in the films first.

podjazd likes this.
  2. SilentGuy66

SilentGuy66 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 1, 2014
    Wonder if they bring arcs back for the next star wars series? One of the major complaints about rebels has always been over it's "adventure of the week" formula so I wonder if Filoni and co have taken the feedback on board?

3. TetsuAero

TetsuAero Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jan 24, 2008
    Seeing as Lucasfilm is a lot more corporate based in its productions now, i doubt. TCW's ratings went under when arcs started, so i'm guessing they want to keep their ratings as high as possible.

4. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    I think they already did. Season 3 of Rebels had several ongoing arcs.

5. MrDarth0

MrDarth0 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 3, 2015
    I think we'll get the announcement in late spring/summer 2018 and the show will premier in fall 2019, few months after the conclusion of the ST, so they will finally be able to fully utilise that time period.

6. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Jeez that misspelling of beileve is horrible. Although for all I know I just misspelt it again. :p

7. ChrisLyne

Oct 29, 2002
    Rebels has definitely handled the season arcs better than CW (which didn't really have season arcs, just multiple long term arcs spread over multiple seasons) but I certainly wouldn't be opposed to them seeding future seasons & stories the way CW did and adding in some multi episode story arcs as long as the story justified it.

I've preferred Rebels pace over all but CW definitely felt more epic with some of it's longer arcs. Plus the animation was so much nicer. I get that it wasn't cost effective and we won't see it again but damn it looked gorgeous.

Outsourced likes this.
  8. DarthRosie

DarthRosie Jedi Master star 2

Nov 5, 2014
    A series in the same vein as The American's revolving around the Empire insurgents would a neat angle, maybe in the Netflix medium. I wouldn't mind a series if we saw Empire insurgents working inside the Rebels or vice versa where the Rebels work inside the Empire ranks, I think either have a lot of potential.

9. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    Mark Hamill has joked about how ending the story with ROTJ is like ending the James Bond films right when he gets his license to kill.

But now with Episode VII, we picked up with Han, Luke and Leia all a broken family with at least Luke and Han seemingly giving up on fighting.

It would be nice to see a younger Han, Luke and Leia still together being heroes, but I don't know how much room is left to really do a show like that and do it justice.

Considering the Aftermath books cover the fall of the Remnant, The First Order seems like a very recently emerged enemy, and there's no real indication of any significant crisis in between, given the New Republic massively demobilizing its armed forces.

Maybe they could do one about a younger Ben Solo with the big three serving as supporting characters and what kind of adventures he and Luke might get into in the Unknown Regions, culminating with Snoke turning him. But otherwise I think they really need to start moving into 100% new characters. I've been very disappointed by the announcement of the Han Solo movie and the rumor of an Obi-Wan spinoff.

The characters themselves reference past events spanning millennia. I'm all Death Star'd out.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

revan772 likes this.
  10. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    The period from about 5ABY to 28 ABY is a total open book at this point. They can include almost anything they want to during that time (minus any large scale wars).

Setting a series from about 5 ABY to 10 ABY would be a good way to start giving the big three some post Jakku development. They could tell stories about fighting off the remnants of the Empire after the treaty was signed (not all of them left for the unknown regions), and there will always be crime lords to have battles with. It also would be a good way to start showing the flaws in the New Republic and why it eventually deteriorated to what we eventually see in the Bloodline novel.

11. MrDarth0

Oct 3, 2015

Yeah, but these aren't really their problems to deal with. Maybe in case of Leia, but she's a politician and a government official now, not a soldier, plus she just gave birth, so hopefully she wants to spend at least some time with her newborn before she runs away for more work.

Han gave up his commission as General, so he's just a regular civilian now and considering how he was portrayed in the Aftermath trilogy and Bloodlines, it looks like he doesn't care about the larger galactic events anymore, unless they directly threaten his family.

And Luke is out there gathering information about the old Jedi Order and trying to rebuild it. He doesn't have the time or, again judging by the Aftermath trilogy, inclination to continue fighting the remnants of the Empire or some random galactic criminals.

Taking out the remnants of the Empire that refused to surrender or didn't escape into the Unknown Regions is the job of the New Republic military. I wouldn't mind a series set post-Jakku about a new cast of characters, perhaps a New Republic fighter squadron, with the old crew making cameos in some episodes, however a full series with Han/Leia/Luke as the main characters would just feel forced considering how their lives and motivations were portrayed in Aftermath and Bloodlines.

Now series set during the Galactic Civil War, there I wouldn't mind the big three to be the main characters as it would make perfect sense. They are the heroes of the Rebellion and pretty much the best the Alliance can offer. And most importantly they do care about defeating the Empire, even Han, even though he's pretending otherwise pre-ESB.

TaradosGon likes this.
  12. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    While I'd prefer new characters (or repackaged Legends characters) to star in a Post-Jakku story, the Big 3 aren't necessarily removed from involvement in the day-to-day planetary crises that we could expect to see as the central conflicts of such a series.

Luke is especially likely to make appearances in the "frontier area" outside the New Republic's control, considering his hunt for Jedi information isn't likely to be contained in specific boundaries, and considering that I have a hard time thinking that a wandering Luke isn't going to ignore whatever injustice he'll find in the Latitudes, or the Separatist Successor States, or just the random planets and space stations he'll wind up on. We've got so little information on Luke that he could very well be a true Jedi Knight Errant, helping people who need it, or he could be a wandering sense I and teacher, building up a school for Kylo to Purge, or anything else on top of his investigations.

And Han's dual career as a racer and shipping magnate feels to me an awful lot like the simple application of his smuggling skills to a chaotic but legal arena. In a Galaxy no longer unified by a single centralized government, and with pirates controlling an entire sector with a kriffin' Super Star Destroyer, it feels like Han may have made his legitimate fortune by employing experienced smugglers and fighter pilots to ensure goods arrived safely and on time, while delivering some packages and racing on the side himself. The few larger threats, like the pirates in the Latitudes, are almost certainly something he'd be involved with as a threat to his business. And Leia... As much as real world Senators are usually just desk jockies who do some glad handing, Star Wars Senators aren't, and there's a significant number of world's that will join the NR between trilogies, planets she's likely to visit or investigate herself for political purposes.

13. MrDarth0

Oct 3, 2015

I can agree with everything you wrote, however the problem for a TV show with that is the fact that you just described three completely separate storylines.

Which makes sense in universe, as it nicely portrays why the big three are no longer in touch by the time of TFA, as their lives took them in different directions (very real world like actually), however I don't think it would work in a TV series.

You could combine Han's and Leia's stories, but Luke just doesn't fit.

14. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    Starring all three together may be improbable, but I could easily see all three being major players in a show. Honestly, any of the three could be the main star if they wanted them to, with the cartoon following their plotline with some crossover from the other two. Now, I'd personally prefer focusing on other characters and having the Big Three crossover a lot, though perhaps with one character acting as either mission control (Han as a boss, Leia as something like the head of the Intelligence committee) or eventual mentors (Luke going to inevitably get this role in some story set before TFA).

If I were in charge of making the successor cartoon, I would set it after the GCW just to have some fresh ground and conflicts to explore, set up a main cast of mostly new characters to this canon, and have them deal with large arc villains who have more flexible fates (I.e., bad guys who can die, be exiled to the Unknown Regions, join the NR, or anything besides still be in charge of the Galaxy at the end of the story), and then have at least *one* Big Three member as the main supporting cast character, another Big Three member as a frequent guest star, and then probably Luke as the special guest star. Having a Big Three member gives the show a bit more power and appeal, and will easily act as a measure of the heroes' significance.

Though I'll be honest on another thing: to me, it's inevitable that Luke Skywalker *will* be the main protagonist or deuteragonist of some post-Jakku work. The biggest reason why he hasn't yet is because Licasfilm and the story group don't want to cut off any avenues for storytelling in the movies, but after either TLJ or E9, that's going to be a target of oppurtunity. It may be a book series, comic series, cartoon, or video game, but somehow, we're going to learn how Luke started his new Jedi Order, get some focus on him as a Jedi Master, then watch as Ben starts to go dark. Now, for me, I'm hoping that either my first show idea or my second will feature a Mama Skywalker, because I'm an incurable Rey Walker fan.

15. MrDarth0

Oct 3, 2015

Oh yeah, after 8 or 9, we will definitely get plenty of Luke Skywalker stories set between 6 and 7.

But with Han and Leia, we sort of already got those stories. I actually like the fact that Han and Leia had relatively peaceful and normal life's post-Jakku. At least until Ben went all emo on everyone. Now the story how Han and Leia found out about Ben and the destruction of Luke's Order would be an interesting story, as well as the fall out from that. We know Leia started building her Resistance right before she learned about Ben and the First Order revealed itself to the galaxy.

16. ChrisLyne

Oct 29, 2002
    What about something along the lines of the Clone Wars? Where you have a core group of characters but then still have episodes focused on other characters. So you could do a New Republic post-Jakku focus with occasional appearances from the OT leads. So whilst Luke might not be THE focus, you still get maybe an arc or a couple of episodes a season (depending on how the structure things) showing him seeking out Jedi knowledge and beginning to found his order (with Mark Hamill voicing of course). You could see Leia and Han with young Ben, especially Leia could be a recurring guest character on the NR side of things, but not have to worry about making them the leads of the show (and therefore struggling with what to do with Ben every time they go on a mission). Paths could cross every now and then, we could see Luke doing stuff that makes him a legend (and fulfilling audience desire for Jedi action).

Or maybe something did happen between Jakku (5ABY) and Bloodline (28ABY) that required them all to get together again and we could see them as the leads? Clone Wars ran for 6 seasons (8 planned) and only covered 3 years of time. They could easily think of some threat (I know the Yuuzhan Vong were meant to be teased in the Clone Wars, just as an example) that could bring everyone back to the front lines but still be resolved neatly and line up with what we know.

SensationalSean likes this.
  17. SensationalSean

SensationalSean Jedi Master star 3

Dec 19, 2014
    I would love an ambitious, multi-season CGI series about Luke's adventures between ROTJ and TFA. It would amazing if it focused solely on him (with Mark voicing!), just because that would make it so different to the other shows. I'd be happy with a show that jumped between Leia, Luke and Han too, but one with a singular focus could reveal so much about the character.

podjazd likes this.
  18. ChrisLyne

Oct 29, 2002
    If they really wanted to delve deep into Force lore then that would be the show to do. Not sure Disney XD would be the right target audience for it but I sure would love it!

19. IG_2000

IG_2000 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 5, 2008
    I doubt it, but it would be really cool to get some filler new content for The Clone Wars in between Rebels and whatever comes next.

20. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
  21. IG_2000

IG_2000 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 5, 2008
    Wouldn't really shock me THAT much if they somehow managed to pull off one more season on Netflix. Siege of Mandalore, and with four seasons of Rebels behind them that they can incorporate into the show's continuity. 10th anniversary of the show coming up, Netflix in a position where they might be able to keep Marvel and Star Wars content as opposed of losing it to the Disney streaming service, might offer to fund Season 7, etc

22. TaradosGon

Feb 28, 2003
    I'm fairly disappointed that LucasFilm has played it so safe with Star Wars, unwilling to branch out beyond the nucleus of Lucas' six films. Never going far enough away that they can't fall back on a Luke, Han, Leia, Obi-Wan, Vader, etc cameo to boost ratings.

It's like having a book shelf covering the entirety of European history but only caring about the one volume that covers the Hundred Years War. Never mind other parts of European history or even the history of other parts of the world (a huge section of space is unknown, and there are fringe territories like Hutt territory).

They could tell stories in completely different times, or tell stories during the same period but on the fringes of that conflict with all new characters.

I really hope they steer clear of TCW and the GCW.

I'd love a show that goes before or comes after.

Jedi Knight Fett and podjazd like this.
  23. unlimitedpower

unlimitedpower Jedi Master star 3

Nov 11, 2014
    I think fans are just too impatient.

24. TaradosGon

Feb 28, 2003
    The idea of these long term franchises is relatively new.

Usually a movie would get made, maybe get a sequel every few years so long as interest is sustained, and then it stops and the studio moves on to something else.

Other than perhaps the James Bond films, I can't think of any other studios that really have put that kind of long term plan behind a franchise until the relatively recent boom of superhero movies, or Fast and the Furious.

There's a lineup of films going all the way til 2020 and all of them are centered on familiar characters and aesthetics. That's a long tim, from the conception of Star Wars til 2020, to have every single canonical story cluster around the same basic characters for over 40 years.

Edit: I know that there are plenty of people that are looking forward to seeing a Han Solo or Kenobi film and more TCW stuff and are content. So I don't mean to imply I am speaking for anybody other than myself.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  25. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    I mean, they're essentially doing the same thing that they did with the Marvel franchise.

You get your core lineup.

Then you branch out from there.

Everyone knows Iron Man, The Hulk, Thor, Captain America. Even just in passing, they were fairly well recognized by the public. That builds up brand recognition and keeps general audiences invested in the series, since it follows people they're familiar with. But then, things get handed off to different properties that stray from the main path, like Guardians of the Galaxy, Cloak and Dagger, Marvel's Netflix Properties, Dr. Strange, etc. By that point, people are acclimated to the universe, and know that, even if it's way out there, it's all in the world they're comfortable with. Now, they're adding in comics and books to supplement the main series, acting as a sort of intermediary between the two phases I mentioned above.

We'll get to the more out of the way stuff. Hell, we're already seeing inroads with the various Old Republic lore being created, which i'm betting will accumulate in a massive KotOR marketing rush, with a re-vamped game and tie-in materials, possibly including a TV series.