main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE
  2. ATTENTION: All leaks and rumors MUST be spoiler tagged. Information from official sources or the big trades do NOT need to be tagged

TV Discussion The Future of Star Wars on TV

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Current and Future Shows' started by ThatWanFromStewjon, Dec 5, 2012.

1. podjazd

podjazd Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 16, 2013
    Interesting... do you have the link to the video?

2. daniel brown

daniel brown Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 23, 2015
    I'm pretty sure the gap between ESB and ROTJ is only a year at most. Surely there wouldn't be enough stories to tell between that time. I'm 99% sure the new animated series will be set between ROTJ and TFA, it's the most logical choice.

3. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    It's either that or TOR

4. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    Yeah the timeline between ESB and ROTJ is only like 6 months to a year. So, not a lot of time. They could maybe make it work in-between ANH and ESB since that was like 2-3 years. But exploring the timeline in-between ROTJ and TFA just makes the most sense. Like 98% of it is still a cypher as it is.

Snafu55 likes this.
  5. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    I just hope that the timeline choice Is good and animation cannot just be about telling canon stories. Animation has to be fun, like the Marvel ones. Light, colorful, fast, full of action and you move on. The more serious stories need to go to the live action tv, the movies, novels, and comic books. 22 minutes for an episode is not enough, especially when you have to balance things out and have talky talky episodes. That don't do well with children. My daughter stopped liking Rebels because of that. She couldn't understand yet she started liking Avengers Assemble. When I asked her why? She said, its colorful, theres action, the good guys do right and its fun easy to understand. Bad guys, good guys, beat em up, do good. That simple.

6. Lord-Skywalker

Lord-Skywalker Hangman Host/18X Wacky Wed Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner VIP - Game Host

Jul 8, 2002
    Shadows of the Empire, time to make this masterpiece canon!

7. ChrisLyne

ChrisLyne Force Ghost star 4

Oct 29, 2002
    Well post ROTJ/post Jakku is technically post ESB so he wouldn't strictly be lying by saying post ESB...
    But yeah, in strictest terms post ESB/pre ROTJ is a pretty limiting time frame. I mean they got (well, were planning to get, 8 seasons out of the 3 years between AOTC and ROTS) so maybe they could do it.

Or maybe this is just a stop gap? An ESB-ROTJ series for 2018-2019 then in fall 2019 they can launch a post-ROTJ series once the ST is done rather than have to risk avoiding stuff in the show's first year?

Snafu55 likes this.
  8. Blackhole E Snoke

Blackhole E Snoke Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 26, 2016
    Yes. SotE has always been Episode 5.5 for me. Nothing else will be able to replace it. It would be like replacing RotJ with a different story. Even if in an alternate universe a completely different RotJ was filmed and was a better film than our RotJ, we would still consider our version the "real" one.

SotE's story should be canon. It had everything the films had, toys, novel, comic, video game, a movie soundtrack, everything but a film release. Nothing else now labeled legends had all this.

The amount of people who would love a new close TV animation movie adaptation of the story must be so much higher than those that would want a new story in that period of time. Lucasfilm should get Madhouse to make it for them.

Snafu55 likes this.
  9. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    I could see it work out that way

10. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    I don't see it very likely at all that the next show could only run for a year or two. That would mean they would practically have to be working on three shows right now. We know that they have been working on the second show for sometime now but for a third show to come out just two years from now that would mean they would pretty much need to start working on it immediately (if not be working on it already). I'm sure they are still doing some work on season 4 of Rebels (even if it is just to dust stuff off and make sure everything is in as good of shape as they can get it).

Add to that is that they seem to be building a pattern that each of their shows seem to build off of one another (and they will probably always bring characters in from previous series) and they would need to know the direction of the second show before starting up a third one.

Snafu55 likes this.
  11. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    I doubt there working on two new shows, but I wish they were

12. Saga_Symphony

Saga_Symphony Force Ghost star 4

Oct 30, 2010
    Whatever the next show may be, I hope they wipe the slate clean from Rebels, move on from those characters, and don't just make another made-up group of heroes.

And I hope the animation is 2D.

podjazd and Snafu55 like this.
  13. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    Uh...

Star Wars is pretty much exclusively made-up groups of heroes.

14. Saga_Symphony

Oct 30, 2010
    ^I said "another made-up group", as in new characters, like Rebels.

15. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    I know.

But what sense is there in that?

I mean, we already have movies, books, and comics about the OT cast. I want more new characters, or characters we haven't seen outside of books/comics.

TetsuAero likes this.
  16. Saga_Symphony

Oct 30, 2010
    ^Well, I could ask the same thing about new characters. They already did a show like that recently with Rebels, so why not do something else?

Besides, one thing the OT cast doesn't have is an animated series (not counting stuff like the Droids cartoon).

I'm not saying there shouldn't be new characters at all. I just don't want another Rebels.

17. TetsuAero

TetsuAero Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jan 24, 2008

What do you mean?

18. Thrawn082

Jan 11, 2014
    I think that Togruta means that the next show should focus on established known characters (whereas Rebels focused on new ones), with new characters playing supporting roles (whereas in Rebels, the established characters play supporting roles).

At least that's what I think it was.

19. Rogue Seven

Rogue Seven Jedi Padawan star 2

Sep 6, 2017
    ^^As to this. Not a chance. They've literally been the standard bearers of Quality 3D animation on TV since TCW debuted. This will not change/regress back to 2D animation.

TetsuAero likes this.
  20. Thrawn082

Jan 11, 2014
    Also Disney makes pretty much all of their big animated films in 3D animation these days.

Rogue Seven likes this.
  21. Blackhole E Snoke

Blackhole E Snoke Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 26, 2016

Doing a 2D cg animation would absolutely not be a regression. It's just a different style of animation that could appeal to a different, slightly older audience. Disney has worked with Madhouse before for it's 2D Stitch! TV series. They also did the Marvel anime films.

A Shadows of the Empire done like this would just be amazing.

podjazd, Todd the Jedi and Togruta like this.
  22. Saga_Symphony

Oct 30, 2010
    Rogue Seven: I guess we'll see. I'd personally like to see something different after almost a decade of the same TCW animation.

Thrawn082: But that's Disney films. Disney still has plenty 2D shows.

TaradosGon likes this.
  23. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    I also very much doubt they will go back to 2D for their flagship show.

24. Saga_Symphony

Oct 30, 2010
    ^Well, they can't "go back" to something that they currently do...

Unless you're not talking about Disney, but about SW animation in general.

It's not a deal breaker for me if it's 3D again. More the premise and writing quality.

TaradosGon likes this.
  25. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    I was talking about SW tv not disney.