main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE
  2. ATTENTION: All leaks and rumors MUST be spoiler tagged. Information from official sources or the big trades do NOT need to be tagged

TV Discussion The Future of Star Wars on TV

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Current and Future Shows' started by ThatWanFromStewjon, Dec 5, 2012.

1. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    Kanan is more or less Kyle Katarn (sort of)

2. Sixes

Sixes Jedi Master star 2

Apr 5, 2016
  3. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    Here around 40:15 Pablo said the next animated series might not be announced until next Star Wars Celebration in 2019.

podjazd, MrDarth0 and TetsuAero like this.
  4. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    He was completely dancing around the question and trying to think of ways to say something without saying anything at all so I'm not sure we should really make much of the celebration comment. I think what we should take out of it is that it isn't Pablo's place to announce anything about it.

If we don't get an announcement until 2019 at celebration it is almost certainly a post ROTJ (and probably post Jakku) show as it would be premiering around the same time the ST is finishing up.

It's possible come celebration 2019 though they are planning a big splash of television project announcements. That will be about the same time Disney opens up their new streaming service so we might get a animation announcement as well as a live action announcement.

5. DANNASUK

Nov 1, 2012
    Yeah, I am almost certain this is post-RoTJ now.

This has so much potential; lost stories of Luke Skywalker, birth and later fall of Ben Solo, origins of Snoke and the Knights of Ren.

TheMDOSS1313 and TCF-1138 like this.
  6. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    Looks like we are going to wait awhile after Rebels ends to get more star wars on TV. Would be nice if TCW was finished (or just some arcs) between that time.

I wonder if they will take the Last Jedi route with Luke by setting it pre-Academy days. Or instead we could get again a master and apprentice relationship with Luke teaching his 1st student. Could be a new character or a younger Ben Solo.

TheMDOSS1313 and kalzeth like this.
  7. redxavier

redxavier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 23, 2003
    I'd be ok with a long wait if it means a quality show at the end. If they continue with animated, I would much prefer either a return to a traditional animation style (eg, anime) or a more detailed game FMV cinematic style (eg, Old Republic cinematics) over staying with the rather plain Rebels style.

I guess what I'm eager to learn now (or as soon as possible) is what they have planned. It's nice to have something to look forward to.

kalzeth likes this.
  8. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    That's never going to happen. It's waaaay too expensive. TCW was too expensive once Lucas stopped paying for it out of his own pocket, and while that was a very detailed animation style, it was still much simpler (cheaper) than the TOR cinematics.

9. redxavier

Jan 23, 2003
    Yeah, that's probably true, it's possibly more likely to happen if they were looking at just a feature-length movie rather than a 20-episode series run but for many hours, it's prohibitively expensive.

10. TetsuAero

TetsuAero Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jan 24, 2008
    Since they have opted to not do movies of the remaining TCW episodes, i also doubt they will do any with TOR style cinematics :/

11. redxavier

Jan 23, 2003
    Why do you say that? There's no correlation between those two aspects at all.

12. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    We waited a year for season 6 we can wait a year for this show

13. TetsuAero

TetsuAero Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jan 24, 2008
    They would both be animated? And they have similar fanbases?

14. redxavier

Jan 23, 2003
    Your post implies that because another TCW movie isn't happening, that puts all other animated movies off as well. But not making a movie from the remaining stories for TCW, a show that ended a while ago and doesn't need any more story told for it, would have nothing to do with whether they make an animated movie set elsewhere, regardless of what style animation it would use.

Blackhole E Snoke and Outsourced like this.
  15. Blackhole E Snoke

Blackhole E Snoke Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 26, 2016

Yes. While Lucasfilm Animation are making Rebels, it would be difficult to return to doing TCW. On the other hand, hiring another animation studio to make a new movie length 2D/3D cgi animation for Lucasfilm would be quite easy. Polygon Pictures for example, they did the animation for Disney's Tron: Uprising series and their latest stuff (Blame! and Godzilla: Monster Planet) look very good.

Snafu55 likes this.
  16. DANNASUK

Nov 1, 2012

Agreed.

Same reason why live-action Star Wars: Underworld never happened - WAY too expensive. It is all about production costs.

17. Blackhole E Snoke

Apr 26, 2016

Nothing is WAY too expensive for Disney though. Disney will need more than just children's cartoons and the movies to sell their streaming service to Star Wars fans. They will need an expensive live action series and possibly also animation aimed at older children and adults.

18. Jedi Master Scorpio

Jedi Master Scorpio Star Wars Television star 5 Staff Member Manager

Oct 24, 2015
    Disney has more than enough money to fund such a venture. I would imagine this conversation has taken place more than a few times.

19. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    No they do not. While yes they could fund a 5 million dollar per episode show they would be wasting a boat load of money. It's just not going to happen IMO

TetsuAero likes this.
  20. Blackhole E Snoke

Apr 26, 2016

Why would creating exclusive content for their new service be a waste of money? I made it clear earlier that I'm not convinced about the Disney streaming thing being enticing enough for many younger adults without children to subscribe to because of how big online piracy is with TV series, but Disney absolutely have to give some reason for the respectable Star Wars fans to subscribe to it otherwise they just won't bother, most have the DVDs or blurays of the movies after all.

kalzeth likes this.
  21. True Sith

True Sith Jedi Master star 4

May 10, 2015
    I could see Disney trying the same thing with a live action Star Wars show that's happening with Star Trek: Discovery now. Show the first episode or two on mainstream channels to get people hooked, and then have the rest of the show exclusively on the streaming service.

kalzeth likes this.
  22. episodenone

episodenone Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 13, 2001
    4 or 5 of the Most Expensive Movies to Produce were made by Disney. No Star Wars movie falls into the Top 10 most expensive. TCW was made despite the limitations budgetary concerns were. It's a false argument to say GL's ability to finance TCW is bigger than Disney's to finance anything and that they are not making more because of that.

It's P&L - they are a public company and have investors to report to. If $5M per episode nets them a profit somewhere along the Star Wars ecosystem - whether its subscribers, merchandise, or what have you - they will do it.

Everything pre-Disney was predicated on staff numbers and production costs. LFL simply did not have the depth of resources to have 2 or 3 shows + movies + everything else. Disney on the other hand is able to finance several movies at once. GL may be rich -- but the Market Capitalization of Disney is exponentially more.

kalzeth and Outsourced like this.
  23. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    I don't think anyone has said that Disney can't afford to make an animated show with the same budget as TCW. Just that they are unwilling to spend that amount of money on an animated show.

24. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    I disagree. We've seen how much they're willing to put out with something like their Netflix marvel shows, and the stakes are way higher for their own streaming service.

kalzeth likes this.
  25. TCF-1138

Sep 20, 2002
    You may be right that it might change once their own streaming service is up, but I think it's safe to say that they're not willing to spend that much money on a show right now (or at least up until now), since they did cancel TCW, and Rebels obviously has a lower budget.
    I also think it's important to seperate live action shows like Daredevil from animated shows. Animated is still looked upon by most as "for kids", unlike live action, so live action generally has a higher budget.