main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE
  2. ATTENTION: All leaks and rumors MUST be spoiler tagged. Information from official sources or the big trades do NOT need to be tagged

TV Discussion The Future of Star Wars on TV

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Current and Future Shows' started by ThatWanFromStewjon, Dec 5, 2012.

1. Kev Snowmane

Kev Snowmane Jedi Master star 3

Jan 1, 2013
    If they do anything with it, it won't look or sound like the Old Republic era we know.

2. MandoArtist

MandoArtist Jedi Master star 4

Nov 12, 2015
    I think the future looks bright!

3. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    I feel like we'll definitely get a TV show (be it live action or animated) set in the time between ROTJ and TFA, within the next few years.

I think that there's a pretty decent chance of a TV show set during the ST-era (or immediately after) being made a some point.

I'd like for there to be one set during the KOTOR timeline. Don't straight-up redo KOTOR, but something in that general era.

4. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    With Star Trek putting out a new live action series in 2017, the first since 2005, in response to the success of the Abrams films, I'm surprised that Star Wars hasn't tried to encroach on the live action scene yet as is instead keeping it limited to animated shows on Disney XD.

I figure if they do a live action show, my guess is that it will probably be a Netflix original in the vein of what they are doing with some of their Marvel properties. Frankly the Star Trek announcement came out of nowhere, since there had been several attempts to get a new show off the ground for years and the studio never seemed to bite. So unlike the films that have been announced years in advance, a TV show announcement could always come at any time, rather abruptly.

5. Mother_Talzin

Mother_Talzin Jedi Master star 4

Aug 23, 2014
    If Disney plans a series after Rebels, I hope it is live action as well. I love all the animated series, but it would be nice to see something a bit different. I'm not interested in paid content though - I'm already going to pay for a Blu Ray, so I don't want to pay to watch it initially. Something like the X-Files would be great, a 6 part miniseries on a network, or even cable...

6. Kev Snowmane

Kev Snowmane Jedi Master star 3

Jan 1, 2013
    That's the next animated after Rebels, according to Pablo and Dave.

7. Senator Kelberry

Senator Kelberry Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 22, 2010
  8. Joanu Savan

Joanu Savan Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 6, 2016
    I want so much a clone wars order 66 movie...

9. episodenone

episodenone Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 13, 2001
    There will never be [another] Order 66 show or movie. They will never make something dedicated to showing the Jedi be killed each week. Makes little sense

10. TheOneX_Eleazar

TheOneX_Eleazar Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 24, 2013
    I want to see an HBO quality live action show, just don't make it an actual HBO show that is full of sex and nudity. So I guess I should say something more like a high quality Netflix show.

11. QueenSabe7

QueenSabe7 Chosen One star 6

Mar 23, 2001

THIS and set in the Old Republic. I am dyyyying to see either/both a tv show or movie go BEFORE everything we've seen thus far. I will take whatever we get of course. :D

12. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    I'm not sure how feasible an ongoing live action show is without making a lot of compromises.

The production schedule for a TV show is muuuuuuuch shorter than film. You have to get more hours of content out the door and ready in less time. So I think there would be sacrifices in things like special effects, sets, location shooting, etc.

A lot of TV shows can reuse a lot of the same sets/settings. Star Trek took place largely on the Enterprise, so they make some sets and then can just reuse them again and again and again. Same with Battlestar Galactica.

It was appropriate for those shows, but with Star Wars, it's largely about adventure. You rarely see the same place multiple times. In the OT we start on Tatooine, go to the Death Star, go to Yavin, go to Hoth, go to Dagobah, go to Cloud City, go back to Tatooine (but a completely different location), go to the Rebel fleet, go to Endor, and see the second Death Star.

Even Game of Thrones sees more set reuse. Shows like Daredevil on Netflix can get away with more change in sets just by renting out a building to shoot in. It doesn't require the same kind of special effects or traveling all over the world.

To try and do location shooting or turn out those kinds of sets within a year, and produce like at least 13 hour long episodes, I don't think that's ever going to happen. I think at best you could hope for a miniseries, but even then I don't think you're going to see remotely the same kind of budget thrown at it as you would TFA or another feature film.

If they did revisit a Coruscant Underworld show that largely takes place on a single planet and allows for heavy recycling of sets, they could probably get away with such a show. But something like the Old Republic era, with a war time setting of galactic scope, I'd wager it's never going to happen on TV unless the format is animated. Otherwise it could happen on film, once the current schedule of films (Rogue One, Episode VIII, Han Solo film, Episode IX, and the remaining spinoff) has been exhausted.

Personally, I think Rebels has pretty much run its course and never hit the same highs as TCW. After Rogue One I really don't know what else I'd care to see of those last 5 years prior to ANH. So I'd be content with another animated show set in a timeline further removed from the films with a 100% new cast and a budget closer to what TCW had, but even that might be wishful thinking, since I thought TCW's earning/cost ratio was extremely low.

darskpine10 likes this.
  13. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    <Sigh> The show we're getting now sort of sucks. I'm not even sure that Darth Maul, the gray knights (or whatever they're called), or even Ahsoka's fate (which I imagine will be soft anyway) can save this show now. The Inquisitors are dumb and boring...which just so happens to be just another reflection of how the Empire's troops are incompetent, as well. The Rebels are able to do everything against the Empire. I mean, these guys can do it all. They're practically superheroes...like all of them. :( So why do you do need a full fledged rebel alliance for, anyway?

The show needs to increase the stakes, because I really don't see the point of the OT, especially when these guys can pretty much handle the Empire themselves. In the end, this is just another cartoon made for kids. So why even bother making more of these "can't make up their age demographic mind" cartoons, anyway? One week it's dark, the next it's juvenile. I mean, c'mon, Filoni...make up your damn mind. In my opinion, they're better off just making live action tv shows. At least that way, it'll be more practical and serious, as you won't be seeing so much of these ridiculous, fast paced action sequences like you see in these shows.

14. Canyon D

Canyon D Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 17, 2015
    Have you heard of KOTOR Apeiron? I sure hope they finish what they have started.

15. Justrec

Justrec Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 13, 2014
    Why do people keep using the word Disney? Disney doesn't make decisions on what to do next, Lucasfilm does. Disney let's Lucasfilm do their own thing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sandtrooper956 likes this.
  16. jabberwalkie

jabberwalkie Jedi Master star 4

Dec 2, 2014
    People are still sore over the cancellation of TCW, so blaming Disney is the first go to thing. Logic, sense be damned.

MandoArtist likes this.
  17. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Because Disney's purchase of Lucasfilm got a lot of attention.

18. CT1138

CT1138 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2013
    The future will probably include more cheaply slapped together cartoons like Rebels, with nice little stories that wrap up with a bow every week and characters that never get killed as so not to scare the kiddies. It'll essentially be more Star Wars: The Lite Beer Wars. Everything you love about beer Star Wars, but without anything that makes it fun!

19. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    I suspect your right. A mix between not a big budget, not wanting a dark show, sticking to OT familiarity ( less freedom to make stories) will result in a show that won't be expanding that much of the Star Wars universe. I think Star Wars TV Should deal with a "realm" that games/comics/film are not giving us right now. I wish we got a big budget TOR era show dealing with the 100yr darkness (jedi vs dark jedi), a dark series with all new characters, a world that intentionally made different from the OT era. A conflict in which the Jedi/republic will eventually win and have long lasting peace (until the Sith show up). A show that is more galactic then rebels and focuses on both sides of the war. Expanding the Old Jedi order while not showing their downfall and instead showing their strength.

20. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014
    I really like Rebels It has that old School feel of the OT that really extends not just from the Animation and Music but the fact that there are 5 characters and a droid make it feel like a way more intimate show then we have ever gotten before ...

21. Theo333

Theo333 Jedi Master star 3

Mar 29, 2011
    Boy, people say love and/or hate are the strongest emotions in the world.

No one remembers 'resentment', the prime root/modifier of these feelings.

22. Justrec

Justrec Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 13, 2014
    Well I highly resent rebels right now, at least until it finds its way into a more compelling, story driven show with slightly more stakes. I thought that was the reason it was on Disney XD instead of the regular ole Disney Channel.

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR likes this.
  23. DarthTalgus

DarthTalgus Force Ghost star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    Didn't really know where to post this but Pablo confirmed in an interview that the Church of the Force mentioned in the TFA Visual Dictionary was actually created by George Lucas for the Star Wars : Underworld TV series, other things that seem to be taken from Underworld but not mentioned in the interview is Palp's first name (Sheev) and that the Imperial Palace is actually the old Jedi Temple. Hopefully they'll include more things from Underworld in the new canon :)
    Don't remind me, the emotional scars are still there ! :_|

darklordoftech likes this.
  24. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    I hope we see Underworld one day.

25. MandoArtist

MandoArtist Jedi Master star 4

Nov 12, 2015
    Well. I, for one, am optimistic about Rebels and the future of Star Wars TV.