main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Future of Star Wars

Discussion in 'Archive: Western Canada Regional Forum' started by Jaeden2k, Jul 28, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jaeden2k

Jaeden2k Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 11, 2002
    On May 19, 2005, could we be witness to the end of our beloved Star Wars?

It has come to me, after 28 years, that we may be on the verge of losing one of the most celebrated universes of all time!

Sure, there'll be spin-off cartoon, books and the like, but will be forced (pun intended) to realize that George Lucas has hung up the Light Saber?!

Will he shock us and bring back, Carrie (Leia), Mark (Luke), and Harrison (Han) as the main characters in Episode VII: Battle for Peace? Has George been hiding, on Skywalker Ranch, the plots for Episodes VII, VIII & IX?

On May 19, 2005, I will be trying to host a farewell party which will begin in the early hours and end in the late hours. I'll be showing Episodes I and II prior to the screening of Episode III, and then the Original Trilogy later on that evening. 14 hours of Star Wars...

Just thought I would throw this out there and see what kind of reaction I would get. Maybe someone had some insight into that melon of George's?! I haven't seen this type of discussion anywhere online...so, let's get one started in Canada!

2. Rogue_Thunder

Rogue_Thunder FanForce CR, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada star 6

Jan 7, 2003
    There are the rumors of the TV series. [face_plain]

3. _Derisa_Ollamhin_

_Derisa_Ollamhin_ Jedi Master star 4

Jul 31, 2000
    I think there is plenty of material in the EU to make up for the lack of any more (flawed, IMHO) films. The Rogue Squadron comics and books would make an awesome TV, mini, or movie series; the NJO could easily be serialised as a mini, there's all that great Tales short stories to work from: an imaginative and persuasive team could easily persuade the execs at LFL to do any one, or more of these projects.

Star Trek certainly didn't die with Gene Roddenberry and it isn't likely to, as long as the fans (and syndication) keep it alive. I doubt very much we have seen the last SW media event, since there are so many stories Lucas has already given the go-ahead to that could be switched across mediums, from comics and books to TV series, mini-series, and / or feature films. That's to say nothing of all the "untold stories" material that's out there: that's one of the things that got me started in Fan Fiction.

I think fifty years from now there will still be an active and growing fanbase for the material, drawn in by the new productions or entertainments, who discover and keep alive the fandom for the orignials. I wholeheartedly would support the X-Wing stuff being made into a more accessible and popular format, provided it is done well. :D

*Derisa*

4. Jaeden2k

Mar 11, 2002
    I know about all the EU tales and other forms of Fandome from the Original Trilogy, but I was talking about George and only George.

I was a fan of Star Trek, but hated the Generations, Voyageurs, and everything else afterwards.

I was a fan of Battlestar Galactica, but detested the TV Series, and the Updated version with EJO.

My point was missed to some degree. I was merely trying to ask or delve into the idea of George Lucas hanging it all up?! Do we have to look forward to some outsiders EU tale of George's story. I have never been a fan of the NJO or anyother form of spin-off, LUCASFILM approved or otherwise.

I like the medium of having to see with my own eyes what George has envisioned. I don't want to watch Prince Xizor, or even a tale about IG-88's conquests from another person's perspective of what GL has in mind.

If George Lucas doesn't direct or write the script...It'll be a sad day!

p.s. Whose checking out THX-1138 in theatres?

5. _Derisa_Ollamhin_

_Derisa_Ollamhin_ Jedi Master star 4

Jul 31, 2000
    Wrll, I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree then, Jaeden! :D

I will totally see THX-1138 if it comes to theatres in my neck of the woods!

*Derisa*

6. Rani Veko

Rani Veko Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 22, 2000
    On May 19, 2005, I will be trying to host a farewell party which will begin in the early hours and end in the late hours. I'll be showing Episodes I and II prior to the screening of Episode III, and then the Original Trilogy later on that evening. 14 hours of Star Wars...

That's such a cool idea. Are you sure people won't be too exhausted after seeing Ep. III, though? I remember coming out of Ep. II midnight showing and a lot of us gathered at a 24-hour diner afterwards to unwind and talk about the film.

We were there for an hour or two, with lots of animated conversation, debates, and theories filling the air, and after having sat/stood in line most of the day and the whole evening, I was exhausted by 3:00 a.m. I think I only kept going that long because the movie itself and the discussions that followed were all new, keeping my brain awake. If I'd been asked at that point to watch another three movies I'd seen before many times, I know I would have fallen asleep at some point around sunrise, likely half-way through Luke lifting rocks and doing handstands. :p

14 hours of Star Wars, though...it's a wonderful way to say goodbye (assuming it is goodbye). George was known for saying for years that he would never make any more movies after ROTJ's release. Will the temptation be just as great for him to have yet another change of mind and produce another three after ROTS's release?

7. Jaeden2k

Mar 11, 2002
    Rani,

more than likely I'll be the only one at this party as i've been hard pressed to find anyone else in the River City with the same passion for Star Wars as I.

I fall asleep everynight to the original trilogy playing in my VCR...yes VCR...they still have VHS apparantly. I am a little upset that only the Special Editions are going to be on DVD, but I am working on purchasing a new Super-Puter to transfer a VHS format to DVD, and keep the VHS in there boxes. I am destroying my third copies due to excessive playing. My VCR auto-tracking is thinking of taking an extended vacation!

on a side note. Does anyone know where I can locate Empire and Jedi on Beta Format? I have New Hope on Beta and am looking for the other two to create my own personal box Set. I don't even own a beta machine, but thought that this would be an interesting collector.

Cheers!

8. lord-darkhelmet

lord-darkhelmet Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 10, 2003
    Regarding the future of Star Wars, specifically Lucas' involvement in it, I would be surprised if we saw any more films/tv series having Lucas directly involved. He doesn't seem like the kinda guy who wants to dedicate the rest of his life to the series. Plus, the story really ended with RotJ, so I don't know that he has any Star Wars stories left to tell. That isn't to say that nobody has anything further to add to the saga, but I think for Lucas himself, with the release of RotS, his story will be complete.

Regarding getting the films on Beta, I've seen these available occasionally on eBay so you may want to check them out. Otherwise I have no idea where you would find these.

9. Jedi_Satimber

Jedi_Satimber Jedi Knight star 8

Jul 3, 2002
    Sure, there'll be spin-off cartoon, books and the like, but will be forced (pun intended) to realize that George Lucas has hung up the Light Saber?!

We've already gone thru this...for 16 years. We will survive

10. veritate

veritate Jedi Master star 2

Oct 25, 2004

Please forgive me, but I surely hope so! :p

I don't think my heart could take another "special edition" of any of the movies. Sure, special effects have improved, and now Lucas can do things in his movies that he couldn't before, and re-touch effects that were lacking (the vaseline-on-the-lens trick beneath the speeder in New Hope, for example, was greatly improved as the new editions came out)... but what "technological setback" kept Lucas from having Han and Greedo shoot at the same time? (Or having Greedo shoot first?) Or allowed Anakin's spirit to age before, but now it doesn't?

This is just my humble opinion, of course, and I know such topics have become the source of very heated debate on these forums. We don't need to get into it here, necessarily. I know lots of people are hopelessly devoted to Lucas and whatever he says goes. I applaud those people, because my dedication just doesn't go that far.

As for the "future of star wars", I predict that, after the hype over Episode III has died down, and we've all gone through a sort of "detox", fans will begin to crave exposure to SW again, and they will seek out other fans for the sake of holding on. That's why I'm excited to finally have joined FF.net, because we can be here for those people when they need us.

The party idea, by the way, sounds like a TON of fun. I don't know if we'll be watching all six episodes on the one day, but I know that my hubby and I will have to have New Hope cued up and ready to go; RotS is bound to be so dark and depressing (heros dying, orphaned twins, etc.) that we'll need a little "Hope" afterwards.

Hope it works out for you, and you're able to find a few more fans to do it with you...

11. lord-darkhelmet

lord-darkhelmet Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 10, 2003
    *ahem*

Hello, my name is darkhelmet and I'm addicted to Star Wars...

... yes, even the Special Editions. :p

12. Jaeden2k

Mar 11, 2002
    COME ON...Who wouldn't want Episodes vii, viii, and ix?

I have all 6 Star Trek movies in my collection (VHS) and have all NG movies as well (DVD). I love Sci-Fi. Why wouldn't you want to see another 3 Episodes of SW?

If, after 2 years, the Hangover of Episode III has passed, I'd marvel at the idea of Lucas writing another 3 scripts. Perhaps, he could even pass off the Directing duties and just be an advisor, so that we can enjoy the movies.

Imagine...Harrison Ford and Carrie Fisher reunited as husband and wife on the big screen. A much older, wiser and more powerful Jedi, Mark Hamill. Jason Mewes and Shannon Elizabeth playing the twins...snoogins! Kidding on Mewes and Elizabeth. It would be unknowns of course. And then...the ultimate mind ****...James Earl Jones as an 'evil' character.

Cheers!

13. veritate

veritate Jedi Master star 2

Oct 25, 2004
    I do agree with you, Jaeden2k. Three more sequels would be very exciting, especially having original cast members! I'd definitely want Lucas to pass the direction off to someone else, however. He sure can write a story, I'll give him that... but I'd like to see something in the Empire Strikes Back calibre... (i.e I couldn't endure another "love scene" as portrayed under Lucas' direction.) [face_sick]

The EU is very appealing to me, though I have yet to delve into it very much. I wouldn't mind having it condensed into three movies to save me from hunting down several novels and comics, then having to find the time to read them all. ;)

I just don't think Lucas is willing to relinquish control over these movies. It's either his way and his decisions or nothing. He seems to be a huge perfectionist who can't let things go (hense, the SE's). I've been known to be like that too - not allowing other people to take on projects because I only trust myself to get it right. :-B

I'm torn, I guess. I love SW, but struggle with what Lucas has done to it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.