main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate The Future of the Republican Party

Discussion in 'Archive: The Senate Floor' started by Jabbadabbado, Nov 6, 2008.

1. The Man Who Sold the Moon

The Man Who Sold the Moon Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 19, 2012
    There is no way you can recreate the 2008 magic and a lot depends on his oppenent. Romney got butchered in republican primaries in terms of his image. You make it sound like a former pres campaigning for you seals the deal. It does not, did not guarantee a victory for Hillary.

2. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    show me my opponent... done with my opponent ~lil wayne, future democratic nominee for president

3. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    I think he is actually just repeating "show me my opponent" except with his mouth full.

4. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    that's what i thought but lyrics sites on the internet claim otherwise

the point is he would handily defeat any republican

just start threatenin' em in the debates, throw em off their game

5. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    Isn't he still on probation or something? I would think threatening his lawyer would violate that.

6. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    dont go off topic. the point is imagine him threatening mitt romney or newt gingrich. "candy crawley cant save you". political gold

americans already love being threatened with fiscal cliffs and having their access to fundamentals like healthcare restricted. lil wayne would revolutionize this strategy by threatening other candidates directly

7. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Too bad he won't be able to run with the felony conviction.

8. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    I am not sure anything would be new. The GOP has already spent the last eight years trying to run against the notion of a malevolent, scary black man with criminal associations.

9. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    that **** can be changed in four years easily, juliet

fixed

10. beezel26

beezel26 Jedi Master star 7

May 11, 2003
    2016 will see Governor Chris Christie running. With Christie winning. He has the chops and the leadership ability that is proven. He understands how to be a leader and not a gutless lap dog like the other republicans. He will lead and win without the rest of the Republican party because he won't need their help. He won't need the Rush Limbaugh and the Fox news network to get out the vote. He will simply just tell it as it is and what he will do. Even Cuomo will endorse him cause he likes the guy. He just gets things done and doesn't like to mince words. Honestly, Putin and Iran will think twice before getting stupid. And for those who don't do their job regardless of party in congress guess what, he will call them out. Personally.

11. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    my favorite christie puff pieces will be the one trying to determine if he or taft hold the title of "most disgustingly fat president"

12. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    The only possiblity I see for Christie even coming close to winning is running as an independent. If he ran as a Republican he'd get crucified in the Primaries, which are mostly a Hard Right/evangelical voting block, especially if Hard Right favorite Santorium does, indeed run again. And I can't see Christie bending over like a George Bush Pretzel the way Romney did for that voting block in order to get through the primaries either.

13. AAAAAH

AAAAAH Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 8, 2012
    christie is too fat. imo i don't think potus should be a fat person, it suggests to me a lack of self-discipline. maybe this is unfair, but i don't care. and much has been made of his talent for "calling people out", but every time i've seen him do it, i'm left with the impression that he is simply oversensitive/thin-skinned and is simply lashing out. we don't need another thin-skinned potus!

DarthBoba and Rogue_Ten like this.
  14. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    yeah he would be almost as embarrassing as president mitt romney, possibly more

15. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    He does a good job of running a state that seems to mainly be warehouses and swamps, I guess.

Vaderize03 and Rogue_Ten like this.
  16. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    The following Republicans have been mentioned as possibly running for President in 2016...

1. Kelly Ayotte (Senator, New Hampshire)
    2. Michele Bachmann (Congresswoman, former candidate)
    3. Jeb Bush (former Governor)
    4. Chris Christie (Governor,New Jersey)
    5. Ted Cruz (Senator-elect, Texas)
    6. Ken Cuccinelli (Attorney General, to run for Governor, Virginia)
    7. Mary Fallin (Governor, Oklahoma)
    8. Jeff Flake (Senator-elect, Arizona)
    9. Nikki Haley (Governor, South Carolina)
    10. Bill Haslam (Governor, Tennessee)
    11. Dean Heller (Senator, Nevada)
    12. Gary Herbert (Governor, Utah)
    13. John Hoeven (Senator, former Governor, North Dakota)
    14. Mike Huckabee (former Governor/candidate)
    15. Jon Hunstman (former Governor/Ambassador/candidate)
    16. Bobby Jindal (Governor, Louisiana)
    17. John Kasich (Governor, Ohio)
    18. Mark Kirk (Senator, Illinois)
    19. Mike Lee (Senator, Utah)
    20. Susana Martinez (Governor, New Mexico)
    21. Bob McDonnell (Governor, Virginia)
    22. Sean Parnell (Governor, Alaska)
    23. Rand Paul (Senator, Kentucky)
    24. Mike Pence (Congressman and Governor-elect of Indiana)
    25. Rick Perry (Governor, former candidate)
    26. Rob Portman (Senator, Ohio, former Bush budget director)
    27. Condoleeza Rice (former Secretary of State)
    28. Marco Rubio (Senator, Florida)
    29. Paul Ryan (Congressman, former VP candidate)
    30. Brian Sandoval (Governor, Nevada)
    31. Rick Santorum (former Senator/candidate)
    32. Rick Snyder (Governor, Michigan)
    33. Pat Toomey (Senator, Pennsylvania)
    34. John Thune (Senator,South Dakota)
    35. Scott Walker (Governor, Wisconsin)

17. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    I think Taft is still the winner... didn't they have to use margarine to get him out of his bathtub?

18. Likewater

Likewater Jedi Master star 4

Dec 31, 2009
    I don't know, the Republican have treated him very badly recently.

He dosen't use the threat of phobia's, he reached out to Obama when his state was hit hard by Hurricane Sandy, he is buisness friendly but then again so are most politicians. Theo Roosevelt, and Taft were noted "Trust Busters" did Barak Obama break up the banks? Many would consider Pes. Obama Buisness friendly. I mean how many CEO's were rung up on charages under his administration?

As for Putin and Iran

Putin is not some sort of abberation, the Russians are feircley terratorial, The have been invaded by western european powers on four seperate occasions. Creating Bufferzones between them and western europe is just their cultural mind set. They have beefs that predate the United States as a country, They don't fear USA by any means, as a culture they have been around a long time, They arent thinking about the next 4 years they are thinking about the next 100. There is little the US can do to force its had via international policy, and the USA actually has to expend resources simply being a world power has a lot more to loose tangeling with Russia than it has to gain.

Iran as a country is young, as a sociaty matches and or exceeds Ethiopia, Turkey, and China. Persia has gone toe to toe with every regional power, its has survived the European Colonial empires, and it and risen and fallen only to rise again, and again. Iran as a nation is not by any means strong, but these guys can hold grudges that can last millenia, and unless you believe will be dominant power for the next few centuries we don't need the pissed at us if this century is our rough spot.

And all countrys go through a rough period, where things just go to crap and when that day comes, cause it allway comes, we dont need long term Nemisis, not for the sake of western europe and Isreal.

When it comes to International Politics the USA should start looking away from coldwar allies, and start look toward securing our self with regional powers, Mexico, the Central and South American countries

19. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    I disagree here. The good and bad of Hillary is simply this: After nearly two decades now of living in the public light, the American people probably know her better than most politicians. To put it frankly: If we vote Hillary,we have a pretty good idea of what we're getting given that we've seen her as First Lady, as a US Senator, a presidential candidate and Secretary of State. Her approval ratings have been consistently high and generally people approve of what she's done as Secretary of State. Additionally, though we still joke about the scandal, most Americans still like Bill Clinton and he did a great job campaigning for Obama this year. If the Clinton machine and the Obama ground campaigns were to combine, she'd probably be able to pull in a lot of the groups that Obama won. She may not win them all of course, but it also depends heavily on who the Republicans field.

Christie will not win as long as he is overweight. I don't see Republicans letting him out of the primary. But mostly, I don't see people voting him for the same reason they didn't vote McCain. When the health of the presidential candidate is in question, more eyes turn to the VP. If Christie picks a good VP, maybe people will take a chance, but image remains a big deal. Look no further than the campaigns of 2008 and 2012. Obama was sold as a young, handsome male with a beautiful family. McCain looked like a cranky old man and Sarah Palin looked like a trophy candidate at times. In this election, many jokes were made about Romney's hair and fake tan as well as his 'creepy' adult male sons. Image alone won't sink a person, but it definitely helps them. And while many might respect Christie's actions as governor, I'm not so sure that will transfer into enough votes to become president.

Summer Dreamer likes this.
  20. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    I'm pretty sure a stick of butter could motivate Chris Christie to get onto his feet, too.

benknobi1 and Vaderize03 like this.
  21. shinjo_jedi

shinjo_jedi Jedi Master star 5

May 21, 2002
    Christie won't get the nomination. Not because he's fat, I don't think that will affect matters much, but because he's too moderate. Unless the GOP is to become sane again, which I don't expect by 2016, they won't nominate another center-right politician that masks himself as a "severe conservative" - they tend to blame McCain's and Romney's losses on not being a true conservative. Three in a row....I don't see it. Not to mention they'll simply have to roll the pictures of him hugging Obama and, gasp, praising him and the Tea Partiers will throw him under the bus. I still argue Romney only won the primary by diving as fast as he could to the right and the other candidates being literally laughable. I expect the GOP to have a better field than 2008, which I sometimes mistook for a sick joke.

Juliet316 likes this.
  22. Condition2SQ

Condition2SQ Jedi Master star 4

Sep 5, 2012
    I emphatically disagree. Romney won simply by waging a war, or non-war, if you will, of attrition. The thing about the present-day Republican party is that it is actually composed of wildly disparate factions, particularly the social conservative hardliners and the economic libertarians. Once a given candidate became the frontrunner and could no longer coast on simply being anti-liberal/anti-Obama, his or her actual pro- content alienated certain factions of the party. All Romney had to do was stay above the fray, remain palatable, and he'd win the nomination by default.

What the Republican party desperately needs is someone who can be a passionate and learned advocate of conservative principles while at the same time being attuned to the importance of coalition-building and the healthiness of dissent even within the party itself.

EDIT: Speaking of coalition-building, I finally found that Senate subcommittee report in favor of the Electoral College I'd mentioned a few times in the Election thread. It's really quite the tour de force; indeed, it seems hard to me to conceive of an adequate rejoinder (the "burden of proof" point seems especially salient to me) though I'd be certainly be interested to see the dissenting report(which I really, really, can't find).

23. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    I agree that Christie won't get the nom because he's too moderate. He won't make it past the primaries.

I don't understand why the Republicans think they lost because their candidates were too moderate. They lost because too many Republicans stuck their noses into people's business. As an op ed piece I read joked, when you can ask how the "rape" candidate for office is doing in the polls -- and worse, when the person you're asking has to clarify "which one" -- you know it isn't good.

The Republicans need to take several large steps back on gay marriage and abortion and concentrate on foreign policy and economic issues, where they're stronger and more likely to appeal to a wider base. Trying to get involved in people's bedrooms is just going to turn off moderates who would otherwise give them serious consideration.

And the field will definitely be wider than in 2012. Romney got the nom, even though no one really liked him, because everyone else was bat**** crazy (or libertarian), not because large groups of people actually liked him. In four years, they'll have more young candidates who need time to come to the public's eye, and people like Christie who weren't willing to run against a sitting president might be willing to run on a more even ground.

24. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    They aren't any stronger on economic issues. They haven't come to terms with the George W. Bush era and the mistakes they made during that time. Their old reputation for fiscal conservatism is in tatters, and they don't offer anything other than "cut taxes!" as a solution for everything. As Andrew Sullivan said yesterday, they're still partying like it's 1979. On the demographic front, it's not enough for people like Marco Rubio to just say that more concern needs to be paid to hispanics and that they can't afford to alienate minorities, while still endorsing policies that ignore hispanics and alienate minorities (among other things). When they match their talk about moderation with actual policy ideas, then we'll know their series.

The GOP is in deep trouble, and few people in the party are willing to confront its problems. Those that are willing risk being run off for doing so.

25. Kiki-Gonn

Kiki-Gonn Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 26, 2001
    I think CC could actually make it through the primaries only because the republicans could have enough of an 'electability' mindset (usually their her party's area of soul searching).
    That plus enough of the Tea Party giving him a pass could happen.