main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate The Future of the Republican Party

Discussion in 'Archive: The Senate Floor' started by Jabbadabbado, Nov 6, 2008.

1. Emperor_Billy_Bob

Emperor_Billy_Bob Jedi Grand Master star 7

Aug 9, 2000
    Part of it is that the Republicans are simply more uniform in their ideology - iirc, something like 70 percent of their support self identifies as "conservative", whereas it is more like 11 percent with the Democrats and "liberal"

2. Mortimer Snerd

Mortimer Snerd Force Ghost star 4

Dec 27, 2012
    That may have something to do with the demonization of the word "liberal" and how conservatives love to throw it around like a slur.

3. Mr44

Mr44 VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 21, 2002
    There isn't any comparable behavior in the Democratic Party. If you can prove me wrong, then go for it 44. I'd love to see what examples you come up with. I don't, however, see Democratic Senators or local elected officials repeatedly engaging in radical behavior in the cases above.

Shinjo, you're still missing the point. I concede that you believe that there are simply no radical democrats. I don't know what to make of it, but I accept it. I will never be able to convince you that there are any democratic senators who engage in such behavior, (which was your phrase) because you're simply not aligned to accept any examples I could provide. If your response is to simply repeat over and over that you think "you are right," then you've won the debate. I don't know what you've won, but you have whatever it is. You could ask me to prove what you have in your pocket right now, and you would win that too. But those are silly debates without purpose. But it doesn't matter, because we both know that's not the reality. That there are plenty of extreme politicians who are come from either party, and in fact, there are politicians who have all sorts of individual views.

You can certainly continue to link to random stories that you think show how wacky republicans are, and you'll get the couple of predictable replies which e-back slap and chortle about how stupid they are. Great. If it brightens you're day, or makes you feel better, or something along those lines, go for it. It's just not really examining anything, nor does it lead to any kind of broader understanding.

4. Emperor_Billy_Bob

Aug 9, 2000
    I'll play ball. Who are these "Radical democrats" that we would be unwilling to accept as legitimate examples?

shinjo_jedi likes this.
  5. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    in the past he's pointed desperately to dennis kucinich when pressed. lol

6. Mr44

May 21, 2002
    Really, has that actually been the extent of what I've ever posted?:rolleyes:

I'll put a list in alphabetical order of just the Senators so it's easy to follow:

Baldwin, Tammy
    Baucus, Max
    Begich, Mark
    Bennet, Michael
    Blumenthal, Richard
    Boxer, Barbara
    Brown, Sherrod
    Cantwell, Maria
    Cardin, Ben
    Carper, Thomas
    Casey, Robert P., Jr
    Coons, Christopher
    Durbin, Richard
    Feinstein, Dianne
    Franken, Al
    Gillibrand, Kirsten
    Hagan, Kay
    Harkin, Tom
    Johnson, Tim
    Klobuchar, Amy
    Lautenberg, Frank
    Leahy, Patrick
    Manchin III, Joe
    McCaskill, Claire
    Menendez, Robert
    Mikulski, Barbara
    Murray, Patty
    Nelson, Bill
    Pryor, Mark
    Reed, Jack
    Reid, Harry
    Sanders, Bernie
    Schumer, Charles
    Shaheen, Jeanne
    Stabenow, Debbie
    Tester, Jon
    Udall, Mark
    Udall, Tom
    Warner, Mark
    Warren, Elizabeth
    Whitehouse, Sheldon
    Wyden, Ron

This is quite an extensive list of radical democrats. Why, the entire party must be full of crazies. And wouldn't you know it, representatives and other offices haven't even been mentioned. Man, is there even a single rational politician within government?

Maybe I'll just start providing random articles without commentary which describe how crazy everyone on this list is...Nah, I'd be linking to articles until next year, and that's a lot of work.

7. shinjo_jedi

shinjo_jedi Jedi Master star 5

May 21, 2002
    44, you don't simply get to shake your head and call me a partisan while refusing to provide examples because I will dismiss them. Your Pitzer example, if it was a real example or a red herring I don't know, was pathetic as it proved nothing. It's common behavior in politics.

My stance is that the current GOP is extreme and radical. They primary sitting members who are not conservative enough (Christ, Lugar, etc). Two of their Senate candidates made insane comments about rape. The above examples of torture, enemy combatant and burning of a UN flag. Their intransigence of no new revenues. Allen West claiming that a number of Democrats are secretly communists. Michelle Bachmann. Rick Santorum. "Death panels." Cruz's treatment of Hagel and Friends of Hamas.

You can sit there all you like and sigh and pretend I'm some naive partisan hack, but at least I will provide examples to back up my claims. Simply because X is happening in the GOP does not mean that there has to be an equivalent with the Democrats.

8. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Wait, what did all those Senators do that make them so radical? The links are just to their websites.

Juliet316 and shinjo_jedi like this.
  9. Mortimer Snerd

Mortimer Snerd Force Ghost star 4

Dec 27, 2012
    How is Tammy Baldwin "radical?"

shinjo_jedi likes this.
  10. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    I completely agree about Harry Reid... but, probably not for the same reasons...

11. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    44, if nothing else, self-assessment and personal testimony ought to stand as evidence. A number of Republican Senators openly advertise how much more radically conservative they are than anyone else, and their disdain for the present system. That phenomenon just isn't as popular or prevalent among the Democrats. Who is the Democratic Rand Paul or Ted Cruz? There isn't one. The Republicans are more radical because they want to be more radical, and because they say they are more radical.

12. Emperor_Billy_Bob

Aug 9, 2000
    Meh. The better answer is that they are more radical because they can be.

Mortimer Snerd likes this.
  13. shinjo_jedi

May 21, 2002
    I didn't "examine" the stories or "explore" the context because there wasn't really a need. The headlines typically spoke for themselves. Disagree? Okay, then prove me wrong and pick one of those where I was cherry picking a headline.

Do they represent the entire GOP? I don't know about every registered R, but when a good number of your elected officials are doing crazy things I think it speaks for the party as a whole. You don't get to have more than a few Senators, Representatives, and Governors saying utterly insane and radical things while pretending they're irrelevant.

And we can go over the Pritzker - or local poll worker - story again if you wish, but they're pathetic examples of an equally "radical" Democratic Party. And I definitely did not say "I might not agree with that maybe...One story doesn't apply....You have to look at the specifics." You cited Obama appointing a campaign donor as his Commerce Secretary to prove...something? That the Democrats are crazy I guess...

But, yes, it's all because I'm partisan and can't see the light 44.

14. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    Also the Democrats seem to distance themselves, even to the point of harming their party's electorial chances at times, if there's even a whiff of scandal or if it reflects on the party in a bad light, (Clinton, Carter, and Ted Kennedy were all ostrasized at various points by their party - in Clinton's case, I do believe that holding him at arms length for as long as they did after he left the Presidency did play a role in Bush and the GOP holding power for as long as they did in the early 2000's.). And if their candidates wash out in the primaries or the general Presidential election, oftentimes they don't get another chance to get back into the game. Kerry, for example was never seen again as a viable Presidential candidate after the swiftboating (Hilary though, will likely be the exception to that rule in 2016).

This current GOP seems to embrace it's crazy as well as the idea of making the 'runner - up' the heir apparent to the Presidency. Also when we point to who represents the Democratic Party, we all naturally point to Obama, Reid, and Pelosi. Lately the representatives of the Republicans seem to be Rush Limbaugh and Glen Beck.

15. DarthLowBudget

DarthLowBudget Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 17, 2004
    Just because you disagree with someone, doesn't make them radical. When people say that Republicans are radicals these days, that's because what they're espousing, ironically in the name of preserving the Constitution, is actually antithetical the framer's intentions.

16. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    44, you are a total partisan, as am I. The difference between us, among other things, is that I am completely open about my partisanship, while you still pretend, even after a decade, (and no doubt longer in real life) to be some kind of objective spirit, comparatively free of partisanship. You are a Republican to the core, and your posts reflect this. There's nothing inherently wrong with that, of course. It's just that you try to act otherwise, and this informs your posts because you try to sigh in disapproval about the partisanship of others. It is nonsense and always has been. DS77 gave a terrific critique of this back in October, when he dismantled your posts about me.

Emperor_Billy_Bob likes this.
  17. Mr44

May 21, 2002
    Guys, what you're all still not getting is that I'm screwing around with you. Yeah, for that list, all I did was copy and paste the Senate Congressional leadership roll call. Are some of those Senators radical democrats? Are some not? I have no idea. Some I like, some I don't... But what no one has done is actually define what it means to be a "radical politician" and that's my point.

Because using the standard you guys are so adamantly defending, I shouldn't have to prove any of my claims, it falls to you guys to "unprove" whatever I say. What you've been saying up until this point is that just because something is posted by you means it gets to stand on its own. So yeah, I shouldn't have to provide discussion, or analysis, or examination either, right? None of you should be as defensive as your posts seem to indicate. But it's annoying eh? How can Billy Bob post a statement like "70% of one group is this, while only 11% is another way, without providing any kind of actual poll, knowing that 50% of all stats are made up, and even pretend that it represents any kind of rebuttal, knowing his reaction to other things posted? Or Shinjo, what makes my example a "red herring," while you treat all your other examples like they're some sort of truth even though both are lacking any definition?

What would be so wrong with simply providing a story, examining what the facts are surrounding said story, and coming up with some sort of understanding about what is going on in it? The controlling factor, not even posted by me is that "just because you disagree with someone doesn't make them radical." Yeah, I would say that about sums it up.

18. Kimball_Kinnison

Kimball_Kinnison Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 28, 2001
    It all depends on what subjects you want to focus on.

For example, Joe Biden has repeatedly given "advice" on firearms and self defense that isn't just ineffective, but downright dangerous (to both you and others) and illegal. (Comments like how you should step on your porch and fire both barrels of a shotgun in the air to scare off intruders, or shoot a shotgun through the door.) Dianne Feinstein's comments on the subject aren't that much better. (I can list a lot more elected representatives who happen to be Democrats on this subject, if you like.) On that subject, their advice shows that they are completely clueless, and yet those comments get ignored and they are treated like experts.

The fact is that there are ignorant people on both sides who haven't let that ignorance get in the way of pushing their ideology.

19. shinjo_jedi

May 21, 2002
    44, your problem is - and always has been - that you are indignant over any criticism of the Republican Party while pretending to be some thoughtful, independent critic. You complain and whine that I and others do not give enough context or analysis for our statements, but you continually allude giving any evidence of your claims. I've repeatedly told you why I think the Pritzker story was bullcrap, and rather than counter my explanation you whine that I "justify it away" after I explain again you question why I called it a red herring.

You act offended and scream "partisan" when I say the GOP is overflowing with crazies and shout how I'm blind to all of the crazy Democrats but when I ask who they are you simply say I won't believe you anyway.

You simply continue to reiterate the same criticism over, and over, and over again without any real new argument. I get it - you think I'm a naive, staunch Democrat who can't see the crazies in my own party but jump over anything a GOPer says and that it is really just out of context. Fine, then give examples or deconstruct my own statements. But you continue to whine about how I don't provide enough context or analysis (when I believe the articles I posted typically speak for themselves) but yet refuse to dismantle my claim (I explained repeatedly how the Pritzker story is taken out of context) without providing a shard of evidence on your behalf.

KK provided examples, so thank you.

KnightWriter and Jedi_Dajuan like this.
  20. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    44, while your stated desire for detailed discourse is admirable, I can't help but notice that it only comes up while counterattaking the Left or defending the Right. Just saying.

21. shinjo_jedi

May 21, 2002
    I must confess that I'm unaware of any Feinstein comments on gun control that I would deem radical. Left-wing, yes, but nothing that I'm aware of that is completely outside the mainstream or crazy talk.

As for Biden's comments, are those statements out of radicalism / extremism or are they out of ignorance? I'm not defending them, as I think they're stupid, but there's a fine line between extremism and ignorance. For example, I would label Romney's "47%" statement as ignorant and distorted but not radical.

22. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    Also, it's Biden. He's like that gregorious, eccentric uncle who tends to say off the wall things from time to time.

23. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    You make him sound so radical when you put it that way...

24. LandoThe CapeCalrissian

LandoThe CapeCalrissian Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 30, 2012
    The current republicans are the ruination of this country.. They vote down things that the vast majority of americans want to have happen. The voice of the people must mean doing the exact opposite of what the overwhelming majority wants.

Juliet316 likes this.
  25. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Untrue. I offered the standard of the elected officials' own self-branding.