main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate The Future of the Republican Party

Discussion in 'Archive: The Senate Floor' started by Jabbadabbado, Nov 6, 2008.

1. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    Our Virginian House Majority Leader, Eric Cantor who has again and again pretty much said "Bootstraps!" to people who have suffered from Natural Disasters (most notably the tornadoes in Alabama and the Earthquake in Northern Virginia) and refused to let any funds for FEMA disater relief go through unless deep spending cuts were made in other places.

Really? Need I say more?

- Signed Embarrassed Virginian.

Edit: LOL wannasee for quoting the rules while leaving only a link, which is ALSO against Senate guidelines.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  2. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I'm on my phone, I'll see what I can pull up later, but here is a starter:

She claimed that the Matthew Shepard Act shouldn't pass because Shepard was not killed because he was gay, he was just a victim of a robbery.

And she said this in front of Shepard's mother.

She also compared health care reform to terrorism and called college graduates with student loans lazy.

3. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    *headdesk* She sounds like a *Lovely* person.:rolleyes:

4. Obi-Zahn Kenobi

Obi-Zahn Kenobi Force Ghost star 7

Aug 23, 1999
    There is no "scientific" standpoint. Science can tell us things like when life begins (before conception - sperm and ova are alive), it can tell us when the heart starts beating (21 days), it can tell us when neural activity is present (40 days), it can tell us when fetuses begin to feel pain (24 weeks), it can tell us when they are viable (24 weeks), it can tell us when they breathe (at birth), and it can tell us when they experience self-awareness (18 months), but science cannot tell us whether or not abortion is ethical.

Ethical views which are not based on a simplistic "the Bible says X" can very easily argue that it is immoral to kill a fetus. Remember, please, that the Bible, nowhere, explicitly says that abortion is immoral.

As for same-sex marriage and birth control, which, in my mind, are very nearly the same issue (is sex that is not intrinsically ordered to the creation of life moral and should society make considerations for people who engage in it?), pagan philosophers such as Plato even argued that homosexual acts, masturbation, and contraceptive sex were unnatural, that is, not that they don't exist in nature, but that they oppose the natural order and proper end of sexuality, and therefore, immoral, and even to be banned by society. (http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/homosexuality/)

Hypocrisy in the anti-abortion community is an important issue, however, opposing social programs to alleviate poverty does not mean that one cannot be against abortion. One issue is essentially separate from the other.

Killing Honey Boo Boo right now would end the problem (her existence) just as well as killing her when she was unborn. However, simply because you find her existence distasteful does not mean that she should not exist.

5. Mortimer Snerd

Mortimer Snerd Force Ghost star 4

Dec 27, 2012
    Fair enough, I was just trying to use what's been a go-to partisan issue. I'm totally not trying to turn this into another abortion debate. I think there's probably a thread for that somewhere.

6. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    This, and your stuff about Iowa, is totally unnecessary. Just like there's no need to paint Northeasterners as liberal snobs, or Westerners airy-fairy loons, there is no need to lump the populations of entire states together under some pejorative term.

It is not conducive to constructive discourse.

7. Fire_Ice_Death

Fire_Ice_Death Force Ghost star 7

Feb 15, 2001
    At first I really didn't like Mr. TheCape, but I do rather enjoy his shaming of Republican politicians. All true and all terrible people.

I don't think his point was to have a discourse about whether or not the great majority of the stupidity in this country lurks in the south, but that a majority of the idiocy is coming from the south. And as such ruining our country. So I find his stuff totally within bounds if it's pointing out the obvious.

Jedi_Dajuan likes this.
  8. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    This.

Signed, not stupid in the South

Juliet316 and Jedi_Dajuan like this.
  9. New_York_Jedi

New_York_Jedi Force Ghost star 6

Mar 16, 2002
    Well, up here in Mass we have ourselves the newest potential standard bearer for at least one future of the Republican party in Gabriel Gomez, the GOP nominee to fill Kerry's seat. He's the son of Colombian Immigrants, a former navy seal, pro-gay marriage, "disagree with abortion but Roe v. Wade is the settled law of the land" Republican. He's still relatively new so not all his positions are fully fleshed out, but he's a bit of a hawk as you may expect from his background. He supports a balanced budget amendment, which I generally find to be stupid. He supports term limits in congress as well, which works nicely for him since his Democratic opponent, Ed Markey, was elected to Congress shortly after the Battles of Lexington and Concord.

I'm not sure if he'll Scott Brown Markey, but he should make a good fight of it. I'll be interested to see how the race plays out around here. I'm sure Gomez will do all in his power to distance himself from the national party.

Summer Dreamer likes this.
  10. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    So basically in terms of New England, the GOP may have learned from the "I am not a witch," debacle that was the Delaware senate race of 2010?

11. Mortimer Snerd

Dec 27, 2012
    Not to sound ignorant, even though I kind of am when it comes to certain things, but what exactly is a "balanced budget amendment?"

12. LandoThe CapeCalrissian

LandoThe CapeCalrissian Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 30, 2012
    wrong... When someone speaks of Iowa its because theyre making fun of it or vowing never to go there in any way shape or form..

but you are correct, im sure not everyone from the state of Louisiana is a back water hill billy, but id bet the farm the overwhelming majority are bible thumping, gun loving, pro war morons.

and id rather be a northeastern snob than a toothless idiot who gives their 5 year old a gun at their bday and believe evolution is the work of the devil and dinosaur bones are tricks by scientists who work for satan... get a clue man, the south is the ruination of this country... Its 2013 adapt with the times...

13. LandoThe CapeCalrissian

Dec 30, 2012

well Fire Ice Death if you enjoy my shaming of hillbilly republicans ill be happy to post more... There are so many gems tucked away down south I could spend the next 5 years making a list of idiots who were voted in by even bigger idiots... so hold on and let me get some pictures ready..

14. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Dude--have you ever visited any of the cities in the South?

I've got all my teeth, my children have never seen a gun, and the only Satan I believe in, goes by the name of Michele Bachmann (who is not from the South).

15. Mortimer Snerd

Dec 27, 2012
    Plus there's Waffle House, so...yeah.

16. LandoThe CapeCalrissian

Dec 30, 2012
    [​IMG]

Here we go folks, ready for another round of "the morons who make up our Congress." Up next, hailing from the state that's still wishing it was 1870 (Texas 6th district) Joe Barton, not only does Mr. Barton look like someone who would molest your children but this gem also says modern scientific things such as "I would point out that if you're a believer in in the Bible, one would have to say the Great Flood is an example of climate change and that certainly wasn't because mankind had overdeveloped hydrocarbon energy."

Here is a classic video in which a brilliant scientist tries to explain 100 million years of earths evolution in a 6 second time frame for Mr. Barton. Watch how smug this piece of monkey turd is when he thinks he got one over on a scientist... even though hes clueless and the scientist basically held back his laughter...

17. LandoThe CapeCalrissian

Dec 30, 2012
    ahhaha yes I have and than you must be in the small minority of people I was excluding from the majority of southerners who are total dolts...

and please don't play the babe in the woods routine, look where Romney got his votes from. Its was this southern bible belt.... we wouldn't have a surplus of dopey GOP congressman if it wasn't for the uneducated southerners either.. that's the voting block..

18. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Not me.

But I am a babe in the woods. (I love to hike. ;) )

Dave: Our mom-and-pop breakfast joints are better than the chains. :p Also without us there would be no Jeff Foxworthy, Bill Engvall or Ron White humor. Just sayin'.

Mortimer Snerd likes this.
  19. LandoThe CapeCalrissian

Dec 30, 2012
    lmaooo now I know youre pulling my leg.... BILL ENGVALL.. yikes

20. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I'm pulling your leg? You actually believe I voted for Romney? [face_laugh]

Damn, I could use this to my advantage...

21. LandoThe CapeCalrissian

Dec 30, 2012
    [​IMG]

Here we go folks off to another round of idiot GOP members, now up we have the illustrious genius Jim Demint, hes a republican hailing from the very modern progressive state of South Carolinas 4th district. This man was also born in an area named Greenville, ill allow you to make your own jokes on that...

Jim has been quoted as saying amazing gems such as

1. Gays and unmarried women shouldn't be teaching our children..

2. God doesn't like big government (from what I remember Jesus wouldn't like big business either but who am I to say such things)

3. America is turning into Iran with Obamas re election

4. Women shouldn't even be allowed to speak about abortion on the internet.

22. LandoThe CapeCalrissian

Dec 30, 2012
    ahaha no I meant that you like Jeff Foxworthy lol.. Id have more respect if you voted for Romney.

23. Mortimer Snerd

Dec 27, 2012
    I'll give you Ron White, he genuinely makes me laugh. There are other intellectual influences that hail from the South as well like Samuel Clemens (Mark Twain). Also, last time I was in Missouri I had the best biscuits n' gravy I've ever had at a Mom and Pop joint, so I completely agree. I still loves me some smothered and covered Waffle House hash browns though.

Anyway, back on topic. This thread is titled "The Future of the Republican Party" which I am actually interested in, and I have two questions for anyone who'd care to answer them:

1. Seriously, what exactly is a so-called "balanced budget amendment" and does it have anything to do with amending or otherwise screwing with the constitution?

2. Is the Libertarian faction of the Republican party even being taken seriously anymore, or has the Tea Party faction taken over. My guess is the latter, but I actually took the Ron Paul people somewhat seriously, despite the flak I'm surely about to take for admitting that.

24. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    I believe such an amendment would force a government to never go into deficit i.e the budget must always be 'balanced'.

That is such a stupid idea I find it hard to believe anyone would take it seriously. Deficits are sometimes necessary.

25. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I could take it more seriously if the defense budget weren't always excluded.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.