main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate The Future of the Republican Party

Discussion in 'Archive: The Senate Floor' started by Jabbadabbado, Nov 6, 2008.

1. Fire_Ice_Death

Fire_Ice_Death Force Ghost star 7

Feb 15, 2001
    Tonight was a good night for Democrats and sane Republicans. I'm glad to see the tide is finally turning against the tea party and its know-nothing insanity. I don't mind Republicans--sane Republicans winning elections as their social policies may be awful and will never be enacted, but at least they'll actually work with 'the other side'. So...yeah, tonight's takeaway: the tea party's beginning death knell is in full swing. Hopefully 2014 will be just as terrible for them.

DarthBoba, Ghost, Vaderize03 and 3 others like this.
  2. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    Heh, this follows up quite nicely from @Fire_Ice_Death's above post:

Speaker Boehner verbally confronts Tea Party

"Ridiculous." "Lost all credibility." Are just two of the things he's said about them in the last few days.

It's really hard to maintain some maturity here, I honestly wanted to cheer when I saw this in my RSS feed. The Party is righting itself. :)

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  3. Vaderize03

Vaderize03 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 25, 1999
    You should pardon the expression, Boba :cool:

DarthBoba likes this.
  4. Lowbacca_1977

Lowbacca_1977 Chosen One star 7

Jun 28, 2006
    Well, Boehner just took the country who a huge mess with the budget issues and the government shutdown standoff because of the Tea Party, and that went very bad for Republicans since I seem to recall even polls of Republicans said they felt that the Republicans shouldn't have done that, so it may well be that the Tea Party at that point is pushing for things that it simply doesn't have the support to back up, and now that there's been a great demonstration that the Tea Party doesn't have the political capital they thought they had, moderate Republicans don't need to be afraid of crossing them anymore, and can probably do better by not taking the hardline stance.

Plus, now's the best time to throw them off since most of the political focus is still on the bungling of the Healthcare rollout, so if they can get rid of a liability at the same time they continue to hammer away at how the White House has implemented health care reform, that opens the door to actually gaining supporters for a change, and that's been something both parties seem to have been struggling with lately as more and more people are giving up on both of them in favour of considering themselves independent (not sure if third parties are seeing any significant rise or not at that same time)

I think this also can be viewed as the natural order of these groups often, they show up with a lot of new or reintroduced ideas, and one of the main parties takes their good ideas, discards the bad ones, and then the group is left without anything defining to make them valuable.

5. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    I think it'll be less a "shrug them off" than "stamp them out of existence"-the Chamber of Commerce apparently deciding to not provide any financial support for anyone who went along with the government shutdown, and support people running against them, is going to put a hurting on a lot of campaigns next year.

6. Vaderize03

Vaderize03 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 25, 1999
    Whether or not the GOP establishment really puts the screws to the Tea Party will help determine who keeps the Senate next year. Looks like Boehner is finally getting serious about winning.