main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga The Future of the Saga on Home Video

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Wrenegade, Mar 18, 2016.

1. Wrenegade

Wrenegade Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2015
    In 2020, Disney will get the rights to Star Wars I-III, V, and VI. 20th Century Fix will keep the rights for IV for the foreseeable future, unless Disney makes a deal with them and buys the rights. 2020 will be one year after the release of IX in theaters, and if they continue to do the December release dates, that will more than likely be when IX is released on Home Video.

Seeing as they will now own the rights to all but one of the films, and they could easily license IV from Fox on a release by release basis, do you think we will get a I-IX box set in 2020? Do you think we will ever even see I-VI released on Home Video again? Post your thoughts below!

Ezon Pin and ObiWanKnowsMe like this.
  2. ObiWanKnowsMe

ObiWanKnowsMe Jedi Master star 4

Sep 7, 2015
    I hope we get a complete I-IX box set.

Seagoat and DarthAnakin96 like this.
  3. obi-arin-kenobi

obi-arin-kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 10, 2005
    I believe I remember reading that one of the clauses I. The Lucas/Disney deal was that the films could not be altered in any way. I do look forward to Disney releasing the unaltered 4 through 6. They did fantastic jobs on all the classics like Snow White, etc.

4. CoolyFett

CoolyFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 3, 2003
    I have Episodes 1-6 on DVDs. I may get Episodes 1-6 blue ray set one day. I just need the main course meal.

5. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    I think it's safe to say there will be a I-IX box set.
    The big question is: Will ANH feature the Fox fanfare or not?

HeadingSouth likes this.
  6. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    The fanfare should be on ANH. As far as I'm aware, it was their money that went into the film, whereas with V, VI, and I-III they simply distributed while Lucas payed out of pocket.

ObiWanKnowsMe likes this.
  7. oierem

oierem Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 18, 2009
    Buy it before it gets replaced by the 1-9 set!

8. CoolyFett

CoolyFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 3, 2003
    It won't get replaced there are several versions of the 1-6 Complete Saga out on the market and they will still be around while Disney makes more movies. Fans will always have access to the main 6.

9. oierem

Mar 18, 2009
    I wouldn't be so sure (and to be honest, I bought the Bluray set only last year because of that fear). Releases do get out of print, and replaced by new versions. Of course the main 6 movies will always be available, but the next saga boxet will include all 9 movies (and will be more expensive), replacing the existing 6-movie-box. (and if I understand correctly, without the 20th Century Fox logo!)

10. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    The individual trilogies will be made available separately.

11. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    I don't know. It was removed from the digital release I believe, and for sure when it was shown in the SW Marathon event on the 17th. Just went straight from the LFL logo to "A long time ago"

Probably this and a I-IX set. The 2011 blu-rays had I-VI and individual PT or OT sets

12. oierem

Mar 18, 2009
    I can't believe they deleted the Fox Fanfare. For me it's an essential part of the opening of every SW movie, just as necessary as the opening crawl. A perfect prelude to grab the atention of the viewer before the Star Wars theme appears.
    A far worse change than any of the SE changes, in my opinion.

13. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    As far as I'm aware, the 20th Century Fox logo was kept only for A New Hope on the digital release. You can find the others on Disney's own digital distribution service, but not A New Hope. Similarly, you can only find A New Hope on Fox's digital service. On something like iTunes, it doesn't matter and they can all be bundled together. If they removed it from A New Hope for the marathon, that's... quite frankly baffling to me.

14. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    The OOT, 97 OT SE, 04 OT DVD, PT theatrical, PT DVD/VHS etc.