main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Future of Your JC Community

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Lord Bane, Mar 4, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JediMaster22

JediMaster22 Jedi Knight star 8

Oct 15, 1999
    I am NOT going to worry about this, cuz on the date LB started this thread, I have NO SOCKS!!! [face_mischief]

2. JediMaster22

JediMaster22 Jedi Knight star 8

Oct 15, 1999
    >C'mon, Jeff, do you have numbers or anything to back up those claims? Of course not. Just like I don't have anything you can look at proving that nothing has changed. You're either going on your feelings or what you had for lunch and the same could be said of me. When I first came here there were redundant threads, people pushing their websites(which I consider spamming), obnoxious trolls sprouting profanity, etc etc. Heck if anything it's gotten better not worse.
    <

YUP Lord Maully Mall has it Right On there!!!

3. jasman

jasman Administrator Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 29, 1998
    Here's a heads-up to everybody about the JCC forum:

Scott just got word from Snowboards that we need to cut back on our memory space on their server. We're using over 15 Gig of space, and they want it reduced. So, major pruning is going to be happening very soon.

The way it's set up now is that all threads over 6 months old get pruned, but the more "active" threads (over 100 replies) get locked instead of deleted. Don't be surprised if those larger locked threads get deleted next time. If anybody has any favorites that they want to have spared, let us know so we can save them. Otherwise, they will be gone very soon.

Now, this isn't just about the JCC forum, but all of them. But the JCC is the biggest, so it's going to be the first one that is to be pruned.

4. Jeff 42

Jeff 42 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 14, 1998
    What about Fan Fiction?

5. Darth Dark Helmet

Darth Dark Helmet Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 27, 1999
    There are discussions going on right now about fan fiction.

6. Herman Snerd

Herman Snerd Jedi Master star 6

Oct 31, 1999
    If fanfic stories are going to start getting the ax, I hope it's at least more lenient than six months.

7. Darth Dark Helmet

Dec 27, 1999
    We're still not sure if we're even going to prune fan fic. Just because there are a lot of stories in there that only exist in there. So....like I said, we're discussing what, if anything, we're going to do in there.

8. Mr. P

Mr. P FanFic Archive Editor, Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 1, 2000
    Don't worry, if it's up to me, I won't let them delete anything in fanfic at all. ;)

--P

9. Herman Snerd

Oct 31, 1999
    Would anyone nominally in charge at least be willing to start a thread in the Writers' Resource Forum to see what the fanfic writers think about this?

I know we're only talking about a possibility here, but assuming the worst and stories are going to start getting pruned, it couldn't hurt to ask for member input before a decision is made.

If the decision ends up being that no stories get pruned, everybody goes home happy. If not, then at least the people affected by the decision will at least have had an opportunity to voice their concerns rather than just having some decision made without their comment.

10. Darth Dark Helmet

Dec 27, 1999
    Oh we're already in agreement that if something is done in there, a good amount of notice will be given. Mr.P, Julie, and TSL have made that abundantly clear to us. ;)

11. Insane Anakin

Insane Anakin Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 12, 1999
    Interesting thread this is.

12. Darth Dark Helmet

Dec 27, 1999
    Your contribution intrigues me.

13. Lord Bane

Lord Bane Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 26, 1999
    I don't even want to think about this thread anymore...ugh!

When I release my "nixon tapes", this place'll try and hang me.

14. Lord Bane

May 26, 1999
    That is a non-issue these days. Don't worry about it.

15. Dan

Dan Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 15, 1999
    Where is teh list?!

16. jediguy

jediguy Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2000
    What list? You're confusing me, once again.

17. Valiowk

Valiowk Chosen One star 6

Apr 23, 2000
    In that case, could somebody please lock this thread, so that there will not be any redundant discussion going on?

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  18. Insane Anakin

Nov 12, 1999
    No, you lock-happy scoundrels.

This is golden.

Lord Ban reveals (in the first post) that they have a list of all the trouble-makers and their socks, and makes the outlandish claim that there is a sock for every eight users in JC Community! I want to see this list.

19. Herman Snerd

Oct 31, 1999
    If server space is no longer an issue, does that mean that Community can expect a relaxation on the current spam policy?

As far as I can tell the current policy is basically just whatever Mod X feels at any given time without any real criteria.

The recent mini-flap about DL's thread is an example of this. Basically it was a harmless thread (fluff in his words) with the potential for decent comedy that the members took exception too because they believed that it would have been immediately locked had it been a non-mod thread.

Naturally, rather than discussing whether the current Community policy was too strict (how many threads now considered classics began with little or no real point?), the admins' answer was eventually to lock the thread and call everything fair.

20. Red_Oktobur

Red_Oktobur Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 7, 2001
    speaking of JCC...

weren't fan clubs banned? and now why is Lord Bane having some dude post an official one for him? seems kinda familiar, don't it?

21. Lord Bane

May 26, 1999
    What's the problem, that a user forgot the fan club rule or that *gasp* I forgot about it? Simple cas of forgetfulness. Seems to me, every user can make one of those from time to time, regardless of the colors their name is in.

22. Insane Anakin

Nov 12, 1999
    Not when those with pretty colored names are expected to understand the rules, abide by them, and enforce them.

23. Lord Bane

May 26, 1999
    Which is what I and my fellow mods do.

If you want to continue this with me, please use PMs and don't crowd the thread with what is, despite all you allegations to the contrary, a personal one on one thing.

24. Insane Anakin

Nov 12, 1999
    That wasn't crowding the thread, Lord Bane. It was a simple observation that lots of people would have made. You say that everyone forgets the rules from time to time, regardless of pretty coloring in their names.

I said that it did make a difference, because those with pretty colors in their names are expected to enforce these rules.

This kind of statement does indeed have a place in COMMUNICATIONS, and if you think otherwise, please take it up with your fellow moderators.

k thx bye

25. Spike_Spiegal

Spike_Spiegal Jedi Youngling star 5

Mar 11, 2002
    Insane Anakin...

You so cwazyyyy..... :p

So a list of problem users? How do you find out if your on that list? ?[face_plain]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.