The Future of Your JC Community

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Lord Bane, Mar 4, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: JoinTheSchwarz, LAJ_FETT, Ramza
  1. Night4554 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I will pm a mod right now with the socks I will give up.

¤Night
  2. Wattowatta Force Ghost

star 4
    Guys, let's aim for cleaning that place up before we go into arguements on forum deletion. That's obviously a last-case scenario (which I also, will remain stalwartly against). If the place is cleared up of the recent unpleasent troubles, there'll be no need for the place to be deleted or restarted.
  3. Dan Chosen One

star 6
    That being said... you guys probably should have made that list of names and socks you have problems with before just throwing this in our faces and saying, Come up with some good ideas fast.
  4. Darth Dark Helmet Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Jeff42, obviously, we don't want to have to delete everything and start all over, that's part of the point of this thread. We want to do everything we can over the next couple of moths to try and avoid that. We want that to be the last possible resort. There is a lot of good in the JCC, but lately the bad has been over running the good and it beginning to effect the entire community.

The past is important yes, but the future is more important.
  5. big_boss_nass Tucson FF Founding Member

star 4
    delete my socks

1.head_of_the_council
    2.TheDome

I don't need them I don't even know why I made them.
  6. EagleIFilms Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    only mods can post topics like Census? that would be very tricky, you might have to make certain poeple VIPS- they can post topics for members (i discoevered this), but not mod... actually i kinda like that idea, ya know?

I think this is a good idea.
  7. royalguard96 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I might get flamed for this, but I don't really see the point of why people would want to create socks in the first place. I mean, if you want to say something, say it! Why hide behind some veil of anonymity. It's the internet people!! Some anonymity is inherent in this whole process.

Anyway, the real topic here is how to cut down on the spamming that seems to be bringing down the YJCC. I don't claim to be a whiz when it comes to tracing IPs and such, but why not ban all socks? I have yet to hear a compelling argument about why there is a want/need for them, to be used by anyone. The mods have enough to handle without trying to track down troublemaking users' socks. Throw my vote in for banning all socks (if practical). Thanks for the vine.
  8. Dan Chosen One

star 6
    That's a terrible idea (sorry to whoever came up with it). Some of the greatest threads in that place are humorous or amusing because of their borderline content or their downright silly nature. If a respectable moderator or VIP who's full of him/herself is asked to make that post, they won't do it.

Or we could just call it Your JC Moderators' Community, or Your Extension of the Census Forum Community, or Your JC Community That Allows Only Intelligent Discussion; No Fun Allowed Forum.
  9. Jeff 42 Manager Emeritus

star 5
    Deleting the entire YJCC should not be the last resort. It should not be a resort at all. I was really bothered when all of Pyrus's posts were deleted. This would be like 100 times worse. I know it's really unlikely, but I wanted to express how very strongly opposed I am to that idea.
  10. KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus

star 8
    I don't really see a need for socks either. I'm sure I sound like an ignorant fool to some, but I really don't see a need for any, other than being funny every now and then, or just trying to be anonymous with a sensitive issue.
  11. Jaya_Jedi Jedi Master

star 4
    "but why not ban all socks? I have yet to hear a compelling argument about why there is a want/need for them, to be used by anyone."
    what about for rpg games and stuff like that?
  12. Dan Chosen One

star 6
    royalguard, socks are appropriate in some cases. Used in moderation, they can be very humorous at times. I must say, whoever made that Internet_Drama sock is a genius.

So really, banning all socks is not a smart thing to do, nor is it possible/practical. Mods aren't paid for this stuff.
  13. KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus

star 8
    Good points. Moderation is the key, I suppose.
  14. Lord Bane Manager Emeritus

star 5
    Socks like your Internet_Drama, Dan, are the very promoters of spam and the endless drama that I just want to clear out of the JCC.
  15. royalguard96 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Good point made there, Dan and Jedi_Jaya. I guess since I don't participate in those rpg threads, I didn't think of that.

Moderation does indeed seem to be the solution here. That, and across-the-board enforcement.
  16. Jeff 42 Manager Emeritus

star 5
    Internet_Drama is a funny sock. Some mods need to lighten up a bit, I'm afraid.
  17. Liz Skywalker Ex-Mod

star 6
  18. KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus

star 8
    Do they?

By itself, one thing might not be bad. The effects of it, however, can extend into many other things, and then you can have some major problems, depending on the issue.

Remember as well that with Episode II on the horizon, everything you see around here is going to increase almost exponentially in the coming months. That includes socks (if unchecked), spam and related problems.
  19. son_of_the_tear Force Ghost

star 5
    Man, I am sorry, but this is the most melo-dramatic place on the internet.

Jesus, half of you need to get out and get some fresh air and stop complaining.

Man, this is worse than a soap.

Seriously.

And this applies to some Mods as well. And if it comes down that only Mods or VIPs can post, then that is isane and many will leave.

Man, stop taking yourselves so seriously. I swear. I have seen message boards bigger than the JC and not go through the drama you guys do. Not even IGN.

Get over yourselves. Like now.
  20. Dan Chosen One

star 6
    Oh please. If someone held in high esteem had made that, you'd find it hilarious. Look beyond the track record of its creator. I created that sock for two reasons. One, to use it whenever something so ridiculous and melodramatic was going on to bring it to the attention to the people in the thread that what they're discussing isn't the end of the world. And two, to ease any tension that existed in the thread. And, well, third (I know I said two), for my own personal amusement. It's succeeded on all three accounts. If it's breaking so many rules and spamming this place to hell, delete it and feel satisfied with a job well done.

EDIT: By the way, Internet_Drama's been used in YJCC four times or something. Clearly, it is a relevant matter to the thread at hand and it is really hurting the YJCC section of these boards. Perhaps you should busy yourself responding to some of my other points and not diverting attention away from them and towards a menace and an evil thing that needs to be eradicated from these boards immediately.
  21. KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus

star 8
    I'm sorry. I'm not aware of your track record or anything like that (if you were speaking to me).

22. Gandalf the Grey Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Maybe all socks should bear a label, proclaiming who their owners are?
  23. KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus

star 8
    Wouldn't that kind of make some socks' usefulness moot (as in the anynomous part)?
  24. Dan Chosen One

star 6
    Nah, that wasn't you, Knight.
  25. cydonia Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I came to this thread because i thought this is where we were petitioning for an arts/culture forum.

I started at the expanded universe thread, then got hooked on the YJCC. Most of my "friends" were made there. But now that we have the godsend known as the Senate, i only go there for some occasional fun and or to talk about silly things the senate wouldn't be appropriate for. I think we should keep it, but i don't know how it will be made better. I haven't been here too long but i can already see threads that just aren't interesting and maybe worse, multiple threads by the same people that get very annoying. I don't have a sock but it seems to me there shouldn't be any at all. If you don't want to post something as yourself, go to another website i guess.
Moderators: JoinTheSchwarz, LAJ_FETT, Ramza
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.