main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Future of Your JC Community

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Lord Bane, Mar 4, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. living-force

living-force Jedi Youngling star 4

Oct 28, 2001
    I would be glad to get rid of my socks.

2. wadda_u_know

wadda_u_know Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 29, 2000
    Speaking as a member of these boards who seldom leaves the JCC, (one cannot live on fan films and costumes alone, you know...) I don't know what I'd do if the JCC was erased. Without the JCC, do you have any idea how bland this place would be? The great characters in the JCC form a swirling palette of colors and textures that could form a work of art if the riff-raff would just stop being jackasses and let everyone else have a good clean fulfilling time. Sadly, the posters that care about decorum, thoughtfulness, etiquette, and decency seem to be a minority as of late. Obviously, due to the AOTC mania, a flood of new, inexperienced members have flooded the boards, and it will only get worse before it gets better.

I know the problem is bad. But I truly believe that the JCC is worth preserving.

3. Tellesto

Tellesto Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 7, 1999
    I'm sure I'll say this many times over, and I'm sure I'll be back to discuss in this thread, but do not get rid of the Jedi Council Community. But if you want member help, I have a few questions.

So how much moderation is needed with the growing "problem"? Is it now more moderation then with the recent mod acquisitions? (farraday, Liz)

And also, who first brought this topic up in the mod forum, which mod (or admin)?

4. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    I know it's probably impossible, but if YJCC members were limited to say five posts in that forum / day, more care would be exercised before the *post* button was clicked.

I would be horribly disappointed if the YJCC disappeared or had only mod-approved topics started. But no doubt another forum would soon become the default YJCC (probably SW misc or a fan-force).

Listen to Dan. He makes very good points - and saying the Internet_Drama sock is exactly the problem that's got the YJCC into this mess shows how intolerant certain Mods are towards proper use of socks.

5. darthmomm

darthmomm Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 16, 2001
    Whatever you do...DO NOT[\b] get rid of the 9-11 thread....ever.

6. Spiderdevil

Spiderdevil Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 20, 2000
    saying the Internet_Drama sock is exactly the problem that's got the YJCC into this mess shows how intolerant certain Mods are towards proper use of socks.

To be clear (and fair), LB said Internet_Drama and socks like it are a problem. Obviously, you can't blame the state of an entire forum on one sock.

7. cydonia

cydonia Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 6, 2001
    The limit of posts might be good for a short time, if it's done for the sole purpose of discouraging people who don't have the patience to wait (to spam). The faithful would still be there when it was over. Maybe a semi-frequent Jedi Council Purge.

8. DUSHONI

DUSHONI Jedi Master star 4

Aug 22, 2001
    I totally respect what Lord BAne is saying and I'm willing to do my part..(I have a sock but I've only used it twice) I'll never use my sock again...but if socks are such a problem..why was a Icon created called the JC SOCK CLUB?? Don't you feel that it encourages the use of socks?? I think that creating that icon sent the wrong message to trolls..but I agree their are some immature folks that like to insult others and I hope it stops..I gotcher back Bane (mostly because I think you have a cool icon, teehee j/k) ;)

edit: PS feel free to delete my sock "duscat"

9. darthlebowski72

darthlebowski72 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 5, 2001
    I really, really hope the YJCC stays around. The only friends I've made on these boards are from the JCC. I tend to wander into the spoiler forums a lot, but the discussions there are more formal and a whole lot more serious. I've found it hard to make friends there and quite honestly you're a 1,000 percent more likely to get flamed there for a silly idea than you are the JCC.

I really feel if the YJCC were to be terminated I would more than likely stop posting. The friendships are what makes these boards special for me. No one I know is a SW geek like I am. NO ONE. Just the other day I met a couple of dudes from Wales. Guys were cool as hell. I really hope the Mods and Admins find a way to fix this problem with the stupid sock people so we can keep the JCC around.

Good day :D :D :p

goes back to hiding under rock

10. Dan

Dan Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 15, 1999
    Thanks, jp. The idea of limiting the amount of posts by a user is the best idea we've seen so far. Too bad I'd be willing to put money down on a bet that the board software doesn't support that feature. :(

11. Silmarillion

Silmarillion Manager Emerita/Ex RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 1999
    If you're limiting posts by users, the number of socks is going to go up. You will not stop people from posting more than 5 messages per day. They'll just create more socks to post with.

12. darthmomm

darthmomm Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 16, 2001
    ok, people are going to be resistant to change no matter what you do..I am sure you will be prepaired to handle that.

Now, this board works. This community of Star Wars gatherers..the many faces of them.... Yes, this is a society...and with any functional society..there are trouble makers. But really, a very small percentage. There are rules....but trolls happen.

While changes need to be made...and you guys (mods) are really putting a lot of time into the project...and I think that alone is showing the users of this board..that you do care. You do listen.

Eradicating the heart of this operation..would be a huge mistake. Limiting the number a posts a user can make, would be disasterous.

Things are calming down..things are getting back to normal, and May is around the corner. Are you..as mods and managers prepaired to make MAJOR board changes just when AOTC comes out? That would be more work than is really needed. have a little faith in us..

There will always be trolls...moronic users...yada, yada. Fact of internet life. Simple..Dont feed them.

Yes...definetly get rid of the sock problems. (I now know where all the missing socks in my laundry are...31 years worth of socks...here.)

Just ease into changes gradually..one peice of advice...I was part of a huge website over a year ago..I met a lot of my internet friends there...the site had thousainds of members...for one reason or another..the major site closed down....we moved the site...we lost over half of our members because of the move. It was sad. Then more crap went on...we had to move again...lost more members. That great website died. Don't let that happen here....if the wrong decisions are made...it could happen here.

13. Obi-Zahn Kenobi

Obi-Zahn Kenobi Force Ghost star 7

Aug 23, 1999
    I will willingly give up most of my socks, except DarthNuttier, ImperialLieutenant, and ---Yoda---.

I visit this place mainly bcause of community but would not leave if it was deleted. I would still psot but mostly I would be at Nightly.

We all know DarthSapient and myself would be perfectly willing to help keep it under control. :D Sorry, had to slip that in.

Keep it.

14. son_of_the_tear

son_of_the_tear Jedi Master star 5

Jun 23, 1999
    Man, this place gets closer and closer to Nazi Germany each year.

What next? Secret JC Gestapo? Snitching on as many people as you can? Post limits? Only MOD or VIP can post topics?

What the hell?

This is insane.

Repeat, I have yet to see a LARGE message board go through all the drama that goes on in here. Not even IGN, which was more vulnerable to troll and spam attacks had this DRAMA.

This is insane.

Zig Heil Josh and Scott!

Bah!

15. Herman Snerd

Herman Snerd Jedi Master star 6

Oct 31, 1999
    I don't see how you're going to institute some policy that'll improve the 'quality' of Community.

The quality of the forum is up to the people who post there, not some decree from the mod squad.

People have complained for as long as I've been here about the silliness and occasional stupidity that takes place in Community, and from what I've seen it isn't any worse now than it's been before.

My only real complaint about Community is that a lot of familiar faces are long gone and that may be due to the antics that take place there, but instituting rules to attempt to regulate behavior is just going to drive more people away.

There's a reason Community is the biggest and busiest forum, people go there to socialize and occasionally blow off some steam. If the place is no longer fun, how many more people are going to wander off to find that fun elsewhere?

I've always heard in the past that there is no set limit for the number of moderators and that more are added as needed. If Community needs more mods, give it some more.

Don't let the troublemakers be the downfall of Community.

16. living-force

living-force Jedi Youngling star 4

Oct 28, 2001
    The offending socks:

Josef_Stalin
    Brad_Pitt
    Yasir_Arafat [sic]
    Strom_Thurman [sic]
    Spam-sock
    Fude
    Vader-is-LukesFather

17. Darth Dark Helmet

Darth Dark Helmet Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 27, 1999
    Okay, let's all back off for a minute here.

SOTT, nothing you posted there has been suggested by a mod. They've all been member suggestions. Most of which are very much out of the question.

So let's knock this gestapo crap off right now huh.

Look through the posts by mods here.

For the most part they ask:

1. Limit your socks and use of them

2. Post a little less crap and spam.

That's all. I don't know where you're getting the idea that suddenly we're only going to be as you while using your ID and banning everything.

Have some common sense people.

18. Just_A_Slacker

Just_A_Slacker Jedi Youngling star 4

Aug 4, 2001
    son-of-the-tear hit it right on the head.

19. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    Now who's being melodramatic?

20. Darth Dark Helmet

Dec 27, 1999
    Exactly what part?

The part about wanting you to use common sense?

NO! Dear god in heaven! Hoe could we ever think about asking that! We are EVIL!

or maybe the part about not having too many socks?

WHAT? We are all childhood rapers! I am going to go and lay down at the feet of all the babies I just made cry with that staement! We are horrible evil people!!

[face_plain]

21. Saint_of_Killers

Saint_of_Killers Jedi Youngling star 5

Feb 18, 2001
    [image=http://forums.off-topic.net/images/smilies/bsflag.gif]

22. Darth Dark Helmet

Dec 27, 1999
    Wow, that is so much better then actually posting an argument or anything. I bow down to your superiority.

23. Dark_Lord_Erik

Dark_Lord_Erik Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 19, 2001
    Have there been any proposals of a solution from the administration.

Could you also give an example of the problems in Community, just so everyone could be a little more informed as to what the problem is.

If it's useless posts/topics; couldn't those post be deleted and the topics locked?

24. Lord Mauly Mall

Lord Mauly Mall TFN/JC Banner Artist Team star 7 VIP

Oct 21, 1999
    "Why don't you just stop worrying about the spam. Just make sure things are rated PG and that's the end of it."

"Some of the greatest threads in that place are humorous or amusing because of their borderline content or their downright silly nature. If a respectable moderator or VIP who's full of him/herself is asked to make that post, they won't do it."

"Jesus, half of you need to get out and get some fresh air and stop complaining."

"Man, stop taking yourselves so seriously. I swear. I have seen message boards bigger than the JC and not go through the drama you guys do."

"So how much moderation is needed with the growing "problem"?"

"The quality of the forum is up to the people who post there, not some decree from the mod squad."

I think these are all great points. The JCC isn't the Senate forum where imporant issues are raised and discussed. There shouldn't have to be any point to a thread or a post if it's in Community.

If you're a mod and you're concerned or stressed, you're trying too hard. Simple as that. I've been here almost three years and virtually nothing has changed except for the graphics ;). The quality of the posts hasn't degraded, spamming hasn't increased, the troll population hasn't grown. It's the exact same. And yet people complain about these so called "problems". What problems exist now that didn't exist 2,3, or 4 years ago or just yesterday? None.

I appreciate keeping the lines of communication open as much as anybody. I just have to laugh when I see these particular form of threads come up that try to take on the very nature of these forums. Are you going to tell a human being to stop acting human?

And who defines what spam is? Because I'm sure we might have different definitions of what spamming is.

25. Jeff 42

Jeff 42 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 14, 1998
    "I've been here almost three years and virtually nothing has changed except for the graphics ;). The quality of the posts hasn't degraded, spamming hasn't increased, the troll population hasn't grown. It's the exact same."

I've been here almost three and a half years, and the quality of posts has degraded, spamming has increased, and the troll population has grown. But I really don't think there's much that can be done about this, although it probably is possible to reduce spam somewhat.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.