The Future of Your JC Community

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Lord Bane, Mar 4, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: JoinTheSchwarz, LAJ_FETT, Ramza
  1. jamesdrax Force Ghost

star 6
    Well, there's always the Senate Floor for me to post.

:p
  2. keokiswahine Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    oh, sorry, I think Internet Drama is funny. adds a bit of humor to "real" board life, especially when he/she pops into a thread in the middle of a heated discussion, cools the temperature of the thread to manageable most times.

JCC is the spice of life. If JCC needs more mods to manage it, please feel free to appoint more mods.

There's only so much SW to discuss; then we have redundancy and everyone goes bonkers over redundancy.

While I only read a few JCC threads regularly, I just skip over the stuff I don't care about, and sometimes that means moving upwards to page 10 in the index.

Tolerance is a virtue; we must be tolerant of all our members.
  3. Lord Mauly Mall TFN/JC Banner Artist Team

VIP
    star 7
    "the quality of posts has degraded, spamming has increased, and the troll population has grown"

C'mon, Jeff, do you have numbers or anything to back up those claims? Of course not. Just like I don't have anything you can look at proving that nothing has changed. You're either going on your feelings or what you had for lunch and the same could be said of me. When I first came here there were redundant threads, people pushing their websites(which I consider spamming), obnoxious trolls sprouting profanity, etc etc. Heck if anything it's gotten better not worse.

I think the problem lies elsewhere, in regards to feuds between sites. That didn't exist so much 3 years ago or if it did it was so minor it was barely a blip on the radar.
  4. Herman Snerd Force Ghost

star 6
    I find it a little odd that less than two days after getting two new mods, we hear that Community is on shaky ground and get a not so subtle hint that drastic measures may be looming.
  5. keokiswahine Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Herman, I was wondering about that, too. We have 2 new mods who are active board members. They can handle it, and if it gets busier, more mods can be appointed to help them out.
  6. jamesdrax Force Ghost

star 6
    I don't get it, the JCC is like the New York City of the boards. I'll do anything for you guys not to delete it!
  7. Just_A_Slacker Jedi Youngling

star 4
    What's more likely is that some purge is in the works and this "warning" is being done to placate us and once the new measures don't work, Lord Bane and his ilk will then have the justification to do what they want.

Then all they have to do is sit back and say "Well, we tried and you just didn't help us."

I think what is going to happen is slowly but surely you will see everything not 100% Star Wars related being lost. No more YJCC, no Senate, no Music, none of it.
  8. keokiswahine Jedi Grand Master

star 5
  9. jamesdrax Force Ghost

star 6
    No, the Music Forum is Star Wars related. If that's deleted, I'll eat the administry.

:p
  10. Lord Bane Manager Emeritus

star 5
    I want to clarify a few statements:

not standing on such solid ground these days - the solid community, open, with genuinely funny and congenial posting is slipping, as has been stated by some regular users, on account of spamming, sock abuse, not use and trolling.

I hesitate to say how extreme this would be; a panic is not needed. - I want to stress this point: action taken may simply mean we JC Forums mods draft a lengthly rules and regs like Padme Bra did for the PSA. Something extreme would be sock limitations moreso than now, much harsher punishments, etc.

Even if it means we erase it and start over - out of all I said, this is probably the most, I don't know, feared or reviled statement. Ignore it and continue life knowing it is an option that exists, but that we will not take because the JCC is far too ingrained to simply cast aside. Perhaps that wording was a bit...melodramatic of me, but I wanted to underline the severity of the situation. I apologize if you became needlessly enraged or scared or whathaveyou. [face_blush] :D

And no forums are slated for deletion - none!

The input and support about and for the JCC has been very strong in here and the JCC version. I think that with some serious effort on all of our parts - admins, VIPS, regular users - we can help make the JCC an even better place.

What do you say? :)
  11. jamesdrax Force Ghost

star 6
    Wasn't it virtually erased during the last board clean up when you guys deleted The Getting to Know You Thread (JC Version)?
  12. Lord Bane Manager Emeritus

star 5
    I was not here (promoted, that is) and cannot comment.
  13. Herman Snerd Force Ghost

star 6
    If I remember correctly, the Getting To Know You thread was deleted at the request of its creator.
  14. jamesdrax Force Ghost

star 6
    On a side note, I don't really see the problem with sockpuppets at all. They're fun and they allow you to see what makes others tick about that particular character you're playing. Kind of like acting really.

Herman; ya but wasn't there an extensive board clean up at that time when most of the really early redundant threads were deleted?

;)
  15. Lord Mauly Mall TFN/JC Banner Artist Team

VIP
    star 7
    "genuinely funny"
    "lengthly rules"
    "limitations"

The more you tighten your grip, Tarkin, the more star systems will slip through your fingers.

Like sands in the hourglass, these are the Days of Our Lives.

(ok I stretched it what that last one :p)
  16. jamesdrax Force Ghost

star 6
    And no more "All your base are belong to us" threads.

;) :p
  17. Herman Snerd Force Ghost

star 6
    Herman; ya but wasn't there an extensive board clean up at that time when most of the really early redundant threads were deleted?

Now that I can't recall.

I do seem to remember that Community has the fastest thread pruning of any forum.
  18. Jeff 42 Manager Emeritus

star 5
    "If I remember correctly, the Getting To Know You thread was deleted at the request of its creator."

A multi-thousand post thread was deleted just because the creator requested it???

[image=http://www.ezboard.com/image/emoticons_classic/eek.gif]
  19. jamesdrax Force Ghost

star 6
    "Not a thread to spare" is my philosophy.

;)
  20. Herman Snerd Force Ghost

star 6
    A multi-thousand post thread was deleted just because the creator requested it???

I wouldn't say that it was deleted exclusively because the creator requested it. There were numerous problems with that thread.

But the creator's request probably explains why it was deleted rather than just being locked.
  21. farraday Jedi Grand Master

star 7
    To be fair it was locked first and the members were given a while to save it before it was deleted.
  22. Jeremyguy Jedi Master

star 4
    Where's Internet_Drama when you need him? Sheesh. LB, you make it sound as though the future of YJCC is in doubt, then you say it isn't. Members left and right are saying "things are the same as they always were" and "things are worse than they used to be" and "things are better than they used to be." It's pretty obvious that there's no consensus on whether or not there's even a problem.

Personally, I take the view that things have generally declined since the "Golden Age," but change is inevitable in a community like this. I don't know that much more is needed to deal with the "problems" than clarification and enforcement of the JC posting/membership guidelines.

It probably wouldn't hurt for those members who actually care to take a hand in policing the boards - not as Admins/Mods, but simply as role models. That doesn't mean jumping on someone who posts something weird or pointless, but addressing abuses of the forums and violations of the rules. Ignoring trolls is probably a pretty effective method for getting rid of them, yet a lot of people get really worked up and give the trolls the attention they're looking for. I think we're all sort of yearning for a "Golden Age," whether it's the JC's historical period or just a time when we thought that all was well here - but it won't come back. We all have to deal with the way things are now and the way they will be. All members - mods & regs alike - have to contribute to the community or watch it slip out of our grasp. Seems to me that this is what this whole argument is about.

Tactics like saying, "future of YJCC is in doubt" can't help but cause a scare; however, it's clear that many people see a problem and aren't sure what can be done about it. As I see it, we all need to be more civil and keep level heads.

LB, I don't mean to pick on you, though I've either alluded or directly referred to your creation of this thread a couple of times. I hope you don't take it that way. I'm generally a supporter of the administration. However, it seems that some mods & regs (I'm not naming names) in general tend to get worked up about things, and I don't see how that helps.
  23. Lord Mauly Mall TFN/JC Banner Artist Team

VIP
    star 7
    When you refer to a "Golden Age" as a time that once was or as a goal yet to be reached, how do you define it or know when you've reached it?

What does a Golden Age feel like?

How do you know a Golden Age even existed?

How many people does it take to declare a Golden Age?

If you do achieve this mythical Golden Age, what will you do with it?

And finally, how do you know this "Golden Age" isn't already upon us, especially with Ep2 around the corner?

We could be in the very midst of a so-called Golden Age, but would you realize it?
  24. Mar17swgirl Chosen One

star 7
    LMM made a point, but I agree with Lord Bane that something should be done about the numerous socks. I'm not saying anything against someone who has one or two socks they created when they couldn't log into the boards with their account. I'm talking about people who create dozens of socks and spam the boards around. I agree that these kinds of socks (and also useless socks that were used maybe once and then forgotten) should be eliminated.

Just my 2 cents. :)
  25. JediMAQ Jedi Master

star 4
    Cmon ALL YOUR BASE was about as funny as it gets. I mean really. Tsk TSk.

Moderators: JoinTheSchwarz, LAJ_FETT, Ramza
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.