The Future of Your JC Community

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Lord Bane, Mar 4, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: JoinTheSchwarz, LAJ_FETT, Ramza
  1. Jeff 42 Manager Emeritus

star 5
    I'm not saying we shouldn't moderate socks at all. There should certainly be a limit on how many active socks a member can have, and socks that are returning trolls or socks where it's completely obvious that it is being used to troll should of course be banned.
  2. Gandalf the Grey Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    So far, I think the best proposal I?ve seen is the idea that there should only be one account per e-mail address. It?s fair and uncomplicated. It wouldn?t eliminate socks, but it would certainly slow them down.

I also think that new users should be unable to create threads within their first week on the boards. I think that that would slow the rate of trolling down considerably, and shouldn?t affect new users too much.
  3. Herman Snerd Force Ghost

star 6
    Darth_Asabrush does have a good point there.

Community is sort of a lightning rod for spammers and trolls.

Remove that lightning rod, and other forums may start getting hit more often.
  4. Darth_Asabrush Force Ghost

star 5
    I like your analogy Snerd!

The one e-mail address idea is good though.
  5. B'omarr Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Here's a solution that the administration won't like. Instead of complaining about the amount of work that it takes to maintain something that so many people use, that so many people enjoy quite a bit, why don't we just get admins who don't mind the work? Who are actually passionate about preserving the community we have instead of trying to change it constantly?

You guys complain and moan about doing what you volunteered to do! If you have such a problem with the way things are, let someone who may enjoy it take over. I can think of plenty of responsible users who could do a credible job, many of whom have posted in this thread previously.

I don't think stricter rules or tougher enforcement is the issue, I think better management is.
  6. Beowulf Force Ghost

star 5
    Yea, the JCC isn't always the best place for "quality" threads, but at least there's conversation going on there. Its by far the most popular forum here. It would be a shame to destroy it, especially since that's where many of us first posted. Keep it I say. So what if threads are deleted all the time, its happened before in the past. Many times in the past.
  7. Tellesto Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    A question here, what is believed to be "spam" by the mods? I'm not asking what you members here believe it is, but the mods. I have a general idea, but I may be off the track, as they seem to have another mind as to what it is.

8. Darth_Asabrush Force Ghost

star 5
    I know some new mods have just been appointed but what about having more with the specific task of looking after the JCC. That would lighten the load, would it not?
  9. jedi-mind-trick VIP

star 5
    From Official JC Definitions:

Spamming: Posting many times consecutively, posting simply to up your post count or posting identical threads across several forums. Soliciting (trading, selling or buying) and advertising also fall under spamming.

Please Note: I am not trying to be a smark aleck, Tellesto, only trying to be helpful :)
  10. Cigam Retah Force Ghost

star 5
    If it's too hard to moderate, be a better moderator, or find someone better to do the job.
  11. Tellesto Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    jedi-mind-trick- Thanks :)

Note: Being a mod is taking care of this stuff so I don't have to post in threads like this..
  12. yodaboy Force Ghost

star 5
    Here are the socks that I can think of that I will allow to be banned (I have a list somewhere of ones that I've never used, but I don't have it with me right now):

Chris_Kirkpatrick
    Josh_Chasez
    Joey_Fantone(sp?)
    britney-spears
    Christina_Agulara
    Pink
  13. tenorjedi Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    here's a list of socks I'll allow to be banned

Tellesto
    Farraday
    Vertical
    NathanDahlin
    Padme Bra
    Kessel Runner

I'm sure theres more but these for sure. Get rid of em.
  14. Tellesto Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I knew I should have never left the "Chyren" name.

15. GrandAdmiralPelleaon Force Ghost

star 6
    Oh my god, tenorjedi agreed with me, is the world coming to an end?

Anyway...sock, smocks how hard is it to ignore them? I haven't even noticed a problem! You should see forums like tabcrawler be glad that it isn't like that here (I enjoy it there but if the spamming here is a problem for you...).
  16. Genghis12 Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Pellaeon...
    "I haven't even noticed a problem!"

I think that's generally because the user-sock ratio is about 1-237, so people have come to believe that socks are normal posting and normal posting has become aberrant behavior. :)
  17. GrandAdmiralPelleaon Force Ghost

star 6
    I have socks myself...I just don't care if somebody is posting under a sock. so what?
  18. Herman Snerd Force Ghost

star 6
    I've never had a sock, and personally I don't really care if other people use them or not.
  19. DarthNut Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    If the JCC is so hard to Moderate you should appoint more Mods who frequent tghe community on a daily basis to manage the boards. The two new mods aren't going to be enough...
  20. jp-30 Manager Emeritus

star 9
    B'Omarr;
    Here's a solution that the administration won't like. Instead of complaining about the amount of work that it takes to maintain something that so many people use, that so many people enjoy quite a bit, why don't we just get admins who don't mind the work? Who are actually passionate about preserving the community we have instead of trying to change it constantly?

You guys complain and moan about doing what you volunteered to do! If you have such a problem with the way things are, let someone who may enjoy it take over. I can think of plenty of responsible users who could do a credible job, many of whom have posted in this thread previously.

Best. Idea. Yet.

Also complaints of "spamming" are so ambiguous, as (as has been pointed out several times) different people have different definitions of spam.

If someone visits the YJCC and peruses the threads left open, they'll see almost anything goes. Reading some threads you'll see active mod participation, and then at a later time a locking by another mod.

If mods can't form a consensus on what is and isn't defined as spam, how can you expect regular users to do the same?

Also kudos to the person who pointed out that the Senate was formed for serious discussion, and highlights that there are now complaints that there are no serious topics in YJCC anymore. You honestly didn't see the ratio of stupid / serios threads being seriously altered once serious threads had their own forum?

// sheesh //

And if socks are such a problem, the one username / email address will slow down the creation time, and hense the numbers of socks. Making a special "sock" icon however shows the casual observer that socks are fine.

Back to B'Omarr for the final word;
    I don't think stricter rules or tougher enforcement is the issue, I think better management is.

Amen.

21. Night4554 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    JP bad example, the lock was requested by the creater of the thread.

And as for the 1 user per e-mail address, i really wish it were possible. If there is one thing zero or HK could do, I wish it that.

¤Night
  22. Dan Force Ghost

star 6
    It was a bad example, but the fact remains that threads like the one he was looking for happen. They aren't too rare, either.

Anyway, I think B'omarr and jp hit the nail on the head. And LMM (I think) had the great point that if you put all the intelligent topics into another forum, then what exactly do you expect YJCC to be?

Here's what I think should happen now:

1.)List the users and socks you have problems with.
    2.)Promote more people if it's really that big of a deal.
    3.)Create a thread in Community asking for help (similar to this one, but with more adminstration backing it) and include a warning that the forum will be more strictly moderated than in the past.
    4.)Butch up and deal with what we have in there--if there was no Senate Floor, we wouldn't have as much of a problem, anyway.

Feel free to add to that or rip that apart and start over.
  23. Night4554 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I have to say Dan's plan does seem best :)

¤Night
  24. Debo Force Ghost

star 5
    B'omarr: Here's a solution that the administration won't like. Instead of complaining about the amount of work that it takes to maintain something that so many people use, that so many people enjoy quite a bit, why don't we just get admins who don't mind the work? Who are actually passionate about preserving the community we have instead of trying to change it constantly? You guys complain and moan about doing what you volunteered to do! If you have such a problem with the way things are, let someone who may enjoy it take over. I can think of plenty of responsible users who could do a credible job, many of whom have posted in this thread previously. I don't think stricter rules or tougher enforcement is the issue, I think better management is.

Touché. That one hits the mark.
  25. Mr.Neck or Yarael Poof Manager Emeritus

star 5
    I know the JCC can be difficult place to deal with, and many members seem to have a problem with it, but I don't think that much real needs to be done to improve it. Here are my thoughts/suggestions on the subject, please feel free to add to or take from them as you'd like.

1. More mods in community

Simply add more mods to the JCC as necessary. I also think it would be a good idea to try and get people who are on at specific times everyday so you'll have as close to 24 hour coverage as possible. Promoting mods from different time zones might help with this.

2. Stricter, more specific guidelines on socks and spam

As already stated not all socks are bad and should be banned, but limits should be set and enforced to keep people from abusing them. The current sock policy seems fair, I just think it needs to be enforced more. Also starting a thread in communications to report trouble making socks might help with the trolls socks.

Spam is a much tricker subject because of how subjective it is. What might be spam to you is a hilarious thread to others. Specific guidelines on what is considered spam, and what spam is allowed should be made so you don't have members complaining when one topic gets locked when another doesn't. Perhaps starting a topic on it in communications so the mods and members could work together to make a fair guideline and set of rules concerning spam in the JCC would help curb some of the "mods are nazis" feelings that usually follow new rules.

3. Higher user responsibility

I like the idea of a "YJCC Guide to Better Posting", but you can't make people use common sense when posting, you can only give them a guide to proper posting behavior and try leading be example. This is where I think many of the people who currently dislike what they see in the JCC could help:

Oldbies, instead of just reminiscing about the past and complaining about the present I urge those of you who are currently unhappy with what they see to start posting new topics in community. Show us what made your 'Golden Age' so great, and with a little luck people will like what they see and we can start a new Golden Age.

Moderators, instead of just imposing a bunch of rules and punishing those who break them, try leading by example more. Far too often after being promoted moderators seems to fade out of the public forums. I don't think that should be the case at all. If anything I think they should try posting more than they did before. You were obviously doing something right if you got the mod position in the first places, so show the rest of us what that was. Give the 'newbies' someone to look up to and try to emulate.

I also think more people need to stop and realize that the JCC is a Community. It takes all kinds to make a community, and just because you don't like a topic or certain style of posting it doesn't mean it's in anyway inferior. The best advice I've ever gotten on the JC is "If you don't like a thread, don't open it" and if more people tried to live by that rule I honestly believe the JCC would be a much happier place then it currently is.
Moderators: JoinTheSchwarz, LAJ_FETT, Ramza
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.