main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Future of Your JC Community

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Lord Bane, Mar 4, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Genghis12

Genghis12 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 1999
    I tend to agree with the fact that the ratio of serious:non-serious threads may have been altered by the creation of The Senate Floor. But, perhaps not to the degree that may have been alluded to.

I should point out that many of the threads in The Senate Floor would have been locked quicker and tighter than you can say "Religion or gun control is not a valid topic for discussion here."

I mean let's look at the top pages worth of threads. The following would have most certainly have been locked under the YJJC:Out of the first 25 threads, I can conservatively estimate that a full 1/3 at least would have been locked and considered detrimental to YJCC by some mod at some point in time due to the adult nature of the topics.

I'd say the effect on YJCC of creating The Senate Floor may perhaps be overstated. Not that that may mean anything at all. :)

2. yodaboy

yodaboy Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 5, 2001
    will somebody ban my socks please?

3. Tellesto

Tellesto Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 7, 1999
    Just don't post with them, you can handle that, eh?

B'omarr:

Best post ever, period. They have the colors, they have the moderating powers, they do the job. If they don't like it they can quit.

4. yodaboy

yodaboy Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 5, 2001
    Ummm.... probably not :D

5. jedi-mind-trick

jedi-mind-trick VIP star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 6, 2001
    What Neck said. :D

6. Just_A_Slacker

Just_A_Slacker Jedi Youngling star 4

Aug 4, 2001
    Bommie you are much more eloquent than I ever will be. If I could get you a prize for your post I would.

7. Ewan-Kenobi

Ewan-Kenobi Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 21, 2000
    I agree with Neck.

If Mods would 'slum it' with us it'd be a great example.

I think it's about more than just making rules. What SHOULD and should not be done in the JCC? There's no formal ettiquite that I can think of. On the one hand just chatting there is a way to become a 'community' and get to know one another. Some see it as pointless spamming. Who's right, who's wrong?
    I think there should be a closer community between mods and posters. Not the way it is now. I know the mods work hard, and most listen. But it's also like a freaking class system. It's not good for the mods because they lose a lot of the fun, and it's not good for the posters because we lose good member's examples.

As far as socks go, there's obviously a right and wrong way to use them. I'm against banning all socks but a couple. I just think they should be used with good judgement. I have a lot of them. Some I admit are unneccisary, some are jokes that I use occasionally. But the majority of my posting is done with my real username. I'll drag a sock out...like, maybe once a month for a few posts.

Socks very definately have a place in the JC. But yes, the problematic ones have to sock. (although a troll is a troll with or without a sock)

8. Darth_Ignant

Darth_Ignant Jedi Grand Master star 7

Oct 24, 2001
    Take action against the ones causing the problems and see how it goes.

If that fails, hire more admins, and spread the load.

I don't think closing the forum would help, because then the ppl just out to make trouble would descend upon the other forums, and that won't help anyone.

9. Dan

Dan Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 15, 1999
    I'm just wondering, why has there been a severe lack of admin input in this thread? If you really think, "Decisions need to be made with you right beside us," then I would think that you would be refuting or agreeing with what we're saying in here, or at least not let 58 posts of discussion go by with zero input. Are we on the right track, or what? Unless, of course, you're discussing this elsewhere. But still, give us something to go on.

And for the third or so time, a list of people and socks you have problems with should be made available. If we don't know what the problem is and its scope, then how are we supposed to effectively help you?

10. Lord Bane

Lord Bane Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 26, 1999
    A troll/trouble maker/sock list is being put together.

As for our input, I can say I'm very impressed by the attitude taken by many of you, the "let's make this place better with or w/o the admins" gung-ho thing. I quite like the initiative taken.

11. big_boss_nass

big_boss_nass Tucson FF Founding Member star 4

Nov 12, 2001
    well lord bane it has to be done.we've gotta make this a better place.

12. Lord Mauly Mall

Lord Mauly Mall TFN/JC Banner Artist Team star 7 VIP

Oct 21, 1999
    Aw...let's all hold hands and sing. :)

I'd like to buy the world a Coke in peaceful harmony...

(you youngbucks might not know what I'm referencing there)

13. Padme Bra

Padme Bra Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 2, 1999
    I brought this up when I announced the ban on religious threads back in May. Sometimes it's all we can do to convince the owners not to just nuke the whole thing. Hopefully we can work something out.

14. Gandalf the Grey

Gandalf the Grey Jedi Knight star 6

May 14, 2000
    If I could teach the JC to sing
    in perfect harmony
    I would buy the JC a Coke
    And keep it company

The JCC acts as a Spam vacuum. Trying to get rid of the Spam in the JCC would be like taking the bag off the vacuum. Spam would fly everywhere! At least now you know exactly where it is.

15. Lord Mauly Mall

Lord Mauly Mall TFN/JC Banner Artist Team star 7 VIP

Oct 21, 1999
    Darn I forgot how the lyrics went! :D

16. keokiswahine

keokiswahine Jedi Knight star 5

Sep 4, 2000
    "It's the real thing".........

17. Humble extra

Humble extra Jedi Youngling star 5

Jun 12, 1999
    this sock/crapness debate seems to be eternal,where is that greatest of socks, jediwarrior? i believe this issue itself was debated many months ago, possibly with the same salutions, but not acted upon i guess, since the same problem apparently still exists.

remedies i have seen or promoted in the past:

limiting socks to minimun........maybe 1 or 2, and banning of serial offenders

don't let new users start threads for a period of days, maye 2-7, they can still read and post, just not start........maybe that would cut down on rendundency

and my personal favourite, IP ban everyone except those born on the 4th of July

18. Jotun Denal

Jotun Denal Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 4, 1999
    I have about 2 other socks who I kinda would like to keep around (and remain anonymous :D )....

Plus my original username.

19. Genghis12

Nov 18, 1999
    You know, as always, the best place here - EU Lit. - holds the answers for a better board with respect to the sock situation.

The Gatherer had the right way to do things, I think. In his thread, "IAmtheDarkside Are YOU Mastadge," the Gatherer accomplished many different things while making an interesting thread which engaged the entire community. (Note, this was slightly different as neither Mastadge nor IAmtheDarkSide were spamming, trolling or abusing socks.)

But, why not make a YJCC game out of exposing the worst offending socks. The first one to guess who the sock really is, gets a prize like a pet penguin from farraday or something. We can have fun while making the YJCC a better place. How could you go wrong. :)

20. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    I don't really think that socks are the problem per se. It's really spamming & trolling that's the real issue; socks just make it easier.

I think that we should do a bit more self-policing to take care of that problem, maybe keep the admins more aware of who's doing what. That might take a few more admins & mods to keep YJCC under control though.

As far as socks themselves go, they're fine...if used in moderation. I have a couple of socks myself that roam the forums. G12 knows the identities of both of them, and I've left GIGANTIC clues as to who they are. I think a "Guess That Sock" game would be kinda fun...

21. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    I've got a few socks. All were created with a specific humourous purpose in mind and save for two of them, I've never used any of them past the afternoon they were created for.

I'd just like to say that while I do agree with some of the comments that B'ommar made about the mods, I have to wonder about this comment about the mods just "slumming it" with us.

We've got to decided what we want here. Half the people say that the mods need better definations of words like "spam" and the other half seems to be saying, "Just slum with us," which, in essence, and forgive me if I read too much into this, seems to be saying that the mods should forget a unity and system and just kick around.

Anyway, the mods really have nothing to do with this. And interestingly enough, I don't feel that we have a whole lot to do with it either. You think the trolls come to Community? The kinds of people who post profanity laden monologues or post the same thread in twelve different forums aren't going to be caught dead in Communications, are they? I think that, to a great degree, you're preaching to the choir regarding trolling, spamming, etc.

22. Saibot

Saibot Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 26, 2002
    Well how about deleting old usernames which haven't posted since 98 to 99...

I mean the ones who DONT & DIDN'T post at all but just make spam to make a name?.

23. saerah

saerah Jedi Grand Master star 7

May 13, 1999
    I'll ask this again--am I the only JCer without a sock?

24. Genghis12

Nov 18, 1999
    Saibot...
    "Well how about deleting old usernames which haven't posted since 98 to 99..."

Are you a noob saibot? ;) :D

25. UK Sullustian

UK Sullustian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 18, 1998

It's always struck me that the problem with the JCC is not Bad posts, (as Trolling/Spamming in good threads can be dealt with), it is Bad Threads.

I know that it's all subjective, but most of the threads on the first few pages seem to me to be just full of nothing...!

Where are all the interesting chats ABOUT things? ?[face_plain] Not serious BUT INTERESTING STUFF. (like films, movies, etc?)

I think the best threads are not TOO limiting on subject, but have a topic that we can all get our teeth into.

UKS

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.