main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga The Galactic Correspondent (RR, new writers welcome) | Prompt 10 up! 15-30 June 2015

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by TheGalacticCorrespondent, Feb 2, 2015.

1. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    [face_dancing] Yay AngelQueen - that'd be stellar!

Ewok Poet -- LOL Calionna is how I'd envision Tionne, someone who doesn't miss much but is an invaluable observer of goings on. The name I picked is actually a lovely RL name I heard recently. @};-

Kahara, Ewok Poet and Chyntuck like this.
  2. Viridian-Maiden

Viridian-Maiden Jedi Master star 1

Aug 14, 2013
    Haha, take it however you will. ;) I suppose Gands were on my mind because of the Gands around here on the boards, but I was thinking about the fact that despite all the interspace travel and interspecies relations Crevasse still might not be first on the list for a species like Gands to visit/being visited for the first time could be a big deal for the city if it's a species I imagine they don't see around a lot. It's not really based on anything official, except that when I asked what Gands would find interesting on Alderaan it seemed to me that a sentient insectoid species would be interested in the Killiks. We talk about xenobiologists, but I also imagine each species would have biologists focused on their own specific species -- sometimes maybe disagreeing or having different information than the larger xenobiology community. But not to write an essay...I could just see a group of Gands being taken there for whatever reason. Whether for diplomatic reasons the same way an ambassador would be given a special museum tour or because the Gands are there specifically to learn more about the Killiks, at this point is ambiguous. :)

I'm not sure I can pull a meta joke out on demand...but I'll do my best. There are definitely a lot of hidden references and points of fanon that I haven't been entirely open about yet hidden in the CCCP. Every honed in on the Gands...which wasn't actually what I thought would be mentioned...but anyways stay posted. :)

3. Viridian-Maiden

Aug 14, 2013
    And I should say that even though I'm being fairly quiet, I too am thoroughly enjoying every single post. They are all so well written, and we're getting such a rich picture of the many facets of GFFA life I love it! Every one has brought a smile to my face, even if I don't point that out specifically.

Ewok Poet, Children's talent show "Yousa da Bombad"? You're making me see the Gungans in a new light. Definitely becoming a fan. It's hilarious.

@ SabyneAmberle Our fashion reporter's take on the Jedi order...love it...fits right with my own interpretations about how people feel about the Order during this time period.

Nyota's Heart I love the idea of the circular, but mostly because of the tone. It's so personal. We hear not only the Order's internal business but also see the way they probably feel about each other -- kindof like a big family. I love that. And it's so interesting to see that side in an official publication...but my mind says...of course why not?

[face_good_luck]

4. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Viridian-Maiden - thanks!! :) I think of the Jedi as a tight-knit community. @};-

Viridian-Maiden, Kahara and Chyntuck like this.
  5. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    SabyneAmberle Reading Farla's papers has me half-way between hilarity and exasperation. They remind me of an outrageous fluff piece about Bashar al-Assad and his family in Vanity Fair back in 2011 :p

I'll be PM-ing you about that. We can make it a collaborative piece ;)

@AngelQueen Welcome aboard! Handmaidens blabbering to the media would make a fine addition to this very serious endeavour :cool:

6. TheGalacticCorrespondent

TheGalacticCorrespondent Jedi Youngling

Feb 2, 2015
    (Reserved for prompt 2 entries sent beyond the deadline)

7. TheGalacticCorrespondent

Feb 2, 2015
    Prompt 3 is up! The deadline is 15 March 2015. (DVD chapters 4-5: Queen Amidala – Landing on Naboo, from 00:07:55 to 00:11:19)

Remember to include the following information in your post:
    Publication title: (e.g. Awesome Newspaper)
    Article title: (e.g. “Funny or not-so-funny title”)
    By-line: (e.g. “by Fareed Blitzer-Kristof in Coruscant”)
    ... and whatever else you think is relevant.

Ewok Poet likes this.
  8. Chyntuck

Jul 11, 2014
    From the front page of Die Coruscanter Allgemeine

VALORUM’S NEGOTIATIONS FAIL
    MID-RIM PLANET INVADED BY TRADE FEDERATION FORCES
    Staff and agencies

Early reports from the sovereign world of Naboo indicate that the Mid-Rim planet is currently under invasion by the Trade Federation’s droid army. According to Senator Palpatine of the Chommell sector, all communications to and from the planet have been disrupted. A senior advisor from Senator Palpatine’s office, speaking under condition of anonymity, implied that the Trade Federation’s decision to bypass the Chancellor’s negotiating team and proceed with military action should be taken as a declaration of war on the Republic as a whole. “We expect all member systems to side with Naboo and condemn this invasion in the strongest terms,” the advisor told our correspondent. “The Republic should not and will not be held hostage to the business interests of a trade bully whose methods to secure new markets have proven questionable at best.”

Chancellor Valorum’s office has declined to comment on the matter or even to confirm that an invasion is actually taking place. When contacted by AGP*, Senator Lott Dod of the Trade Federation denied vehemently that the blockading force had taken any unilateral action and affirmed that no ambassadors had contacted Viceroy Nute Gunray. “These baseless accusations must stop,” the Senator said. “The Trade Federation is a faithful member of the Galactic Republic and has the highest respect for Republic law and institutions. The Naboo would do well to verify the condition of their communications array before slandering a respectable organisation whose contribution to the development of interstellar trade cannot be questioned in the least.”

However, citizens of Naboo residing on Coruscant have contacted Die Coruscanter Allgemeine to relay information received from relatives on-planet in the last moments before the communications breakdown. Panicked holo-messages describe the presence of large numbers of landing craft heading for the grassy plains outside Theed, indicating that (continued on page 3)

* AGP: Agence Galaxie-Presse

JadeLotus, Kahara, Ewok Poet and 3 others like this.
  9. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    [live holostream]

WESA INTERUPTEN DIS BROADCAST OF "YOUSA DA BOMBAD" TO BRINGEN YOUS AN UPDATE ON PREVIOUS TELO.

TRADE FEDERATION SKEEBEETLES CARRYING BATTLE MACHINEEKS HAVE LANDEN ON NOSA PLANET. HOW WUDE. BERRY BIG MESSEN HAPPENEN. ALSO, HOLONET BORKED, MY CANNOT READEN CORUWHATCHAMACALLIT AND BRINGEN YOUS DEM FACTS.

MESA OUTTA HERE! HEP, HEP, HEP! OIE BOIE!

FROM A FIELD ON DA OUTSKIRTSA OF THEED, FO DA GUNGAN INQUIRER HOLONET EDITION, P...

[screaming Jar Jar Binks* runs into Pollo Dorks and knocks him down, thus interrupting live holostream]

* Not to be confused with Screamin' Jay Hawkins
    ** Pollo currently stars in MESA, JAR JAR!!! as well. Poor boie.

10. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    [face_rofl] OK, I think that was just tooooooo fun!! Poet! And Chyn, your piece looked/sounded just like a serious! news article. =D= =D=

Kahara, Chyntuck and Ewok Poet like this.
  11. Goodwood

Goodwood Jedi Master star 5

May 11, 2011
    Lead story from The Judicial Record, intended for internal circulation only:

CREW OF RADIANT VII BELIEVED LOST AS INVASION OF NABOO COMMENCES
    by Almonin deSait-Exubre

Fellow Judicials, it is my duty to report to you the loss of the Consular-class diplomatic cruiser Radiant VII, the ship upon which the Chancellor's ambassadors were dispatched to meet with the Trade Federation, along with all hands. Republic Intelligence has confirmed not only the destruction of this peace mission, but the Neimoidians' own escalation of this crisis as they undertake an armed invasion of Naboo itself. Communications were cut off within minutes after the Radiant VII's emergency transponder began broadcasting an automated distress beacon, and it is believed that the ship was destroyed outright, though circumstances surrounding the vessel's ultimate fate remain vague. At this time we are unable to confirm whether or not the Radiant VII was destroyed by the Neimoidians, or what has happened to the ambassadors themselves.

Ladies and gentlemen, not since the Stark Incident have I had to present such grim news. With the rise of droid armies in the last decade, it can only be assumed that the Federation will swiftly overcome what limited defenses the Naboo are able to assemble. Given what the Republic knows and suspects about the capabilities of their battleships, it is safe to assume that as many as a hundred thousand Federation droid troops have been landed thus far, with many more on the way. The Command Operations and Control Office has already begun assembling combat dossiers regarding Federation ground forces, in preparation for any relief or punitive actions that the Judicial Department may be tasked with undertaking. Your commanding officer will brief you when appropriate; unless and until such operations are developed, you are urged to be mindful of your current duties.

Meanwhile, inquiries made to both the Office of the Supreme Chancellor and the Trade Federation embassy on Coruscant have produced some limited insight into the unfolding escalation. An anonymous staffer at the OSC has confirmed that the ambassadors sent were in fact Jedi Knights, prompting speculation that they may have in fact survived this turn of events. While the Federation continues to deny reports of this latest maneuver, a civilian attaché has provided the Judicial Department with evidence that the blockade leader, Viceroy Nute Gunray himself, may have acted without first consulting the Federation Directorate. However, since the murders of six Directorate members on Eriadu last year, this effectively makes little difference as Gunray is, for all intents and purposes, the Federation's sole and undisputed ruler.

More news will be relayed to you as it becomes available. May the Force be with us all.

Kahara, JadeLotus, Ewok Poet and 3 others like this.
  12. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Excellent Goodwood - there is a very fine balanced tone - this is what wwe think happened but there is no confirmation. That way, no real retraction is needful as the true nature of events/mission outcome unfolds. And the reporter is very careful not to accuse Gunray outright although of course not condoning his unilateral actions. =D=

Kahara, Chyntuck and Goodwood like this.
  13. Chyntuck

Jul 11, 2014
    A short podcast from the Naboo Broadcast Corporation -- Channel Two

-------------------------------------

Author's notes:

The Tilasa are the brainchild of our very own Viridian-Maiden. See here.

The music is a traditional Haya song from Tanzania.

Findswoman , Kahara, Goodwood and 2 others like this.
  14. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    Guys, it's a trap. DO NOT TURN IT UP. :p

Kahara and Chyntuck like this.
  15. Goodwood

May 11, 2011
    Chyntuck That was unexpected, but cool!

By the way, it's considered cheating to use a text-to-speech program...next time you should grace us with your amazing voice! :D

Kahara, Chyntuck and Viridian-Maiden like this.
  16. Viridian-Maiden

Aug 14, 2013
    Chyntuck - I love this. And this is more fodder for the fanon thread but since I love music so much and use it a lot writing might I suggest the following as the equivalent of more modern/pop Tilasan music to go along with your traditional selection? :) I've been listening to this song a lot lately and for some reason it seems really fitting in comparison.

https://soundcloud.com/erkka/plastic-flamingos [face_good_luck]

17. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    Oh my, Chyntuck, that was absolutely amazing! I totally should have expected the... twist, but I didn't at all—love it! =D=

And as for you, Viridian-Maiden, come on and grace us with that fanon post! :D (Anyone else think music would be an absolutely perfect fanon thread monthly topic sometime?)

18. Chyntuck

Jul 11, 2014
    Just the usual gentle reminder that the deadline for prompt 3 is Sunday 15 March. The sock will reserve a post for late submissions before uploading prompt 4 on Monday 16 March.

---------------------------------------------------

Now that's what I call top-notch journalism!

Goodwood I said it before, I'll say it again: the UN Department of Peacekeeping Operations could use your communication skills, otherwise know as "the art of saying that things are really bad without pointing fingers but still making it clear who you don't like". Should I post the link to their vacancies section?
    And my even more amazing Grrrrrreek accent :p (to give you an idea, people tell me that I rrrrroll the RRRRRs too much even in Arrrrabic!) Careful what you wish for though, it may happen before you know it.

Viridian-Maiden Given recent developments, it is safe to assume that the NBC won't be broadcasting anything other than droid martial music in the near future and that the Tilasan traditional music orchestra on Naboo have gone underground. Force knows if they'll still be around for the liberation of Naboo, so a pop music concert instead is definitely an option ;) On a more serious note, the reason I chose a Haya song was to emphasise the similarity between the Tilasa and the Sullustans (Haya is the language spoken by Nien Nunb in ROTJ.)

Findswoman Thanks :)

19. JadeLotus

JadeLotus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2005
    Wow, Chyntuck, what a great concept - I was not expecting that, and what an effective way to convey the impact of the invasion.

Kahara and Chyntuck like this.
  20. Goodwood

May 11, 2011
    Chyntuck By all means, post the link — LOL! :D

And I would still love to hear your voice next time you do a video or something... ;)

Chyntuck likes this.
  21. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Reading "Necessity Beyond Sway" =P~ [face_dancing] [face_dancing]

Chyntuck likes this.
  22. Viridian-Maiden

Aug 14, 2013
    Wow. Also, perfect! I did know that but had rather forgotten about that. I assumed you just liked the song. Nice to have a few fellow obsessives in the world with me. [face_good_luck]

Kahara, Findswoman and Chyntuck like this.
  23. SabyneAmberle

SabyneAmberle Jedi Grand Master star 3

Sep 16, 2004
    Page 2 of Interstellar Fashion Weekly, the Galaxy's best source for celebrity and fashion gossip.

No News is Terrible News
    Farla Fraabhal, Senior Celebrity and Fashion Writer

Greetings and kisses, my dear readers. Farla Fraabahl here, your inside peek into the world of the glittery and glamorous. Of course, all that glitters is not necessarily to be trusted, particularly where a certain Corellian senator is concerned. It has been a most exhausting week, filled with recordings of depositions to send to the courts. It seems Senator Lukwar -the darling man- has gotten himself into a bit of hot water of misappropriating tax monies meant to send to the Naboo relief efforts. I guess all that genuine Dubrillon foliage and sparkling water had to be paid for somehow, didn't it? But for all his charm, the man isn't particularly bright; he all but bragged to me during our private fete about the money he siphoned off to pay for that salon.

Oh. Perhaps I've said too much. Moving on to more serious topics, like Naboo.

That poor planet. I've received word through my various channels that the ship the negotiators were reportedly on has been destroyed. Even worse, a full-scale invasion of the planet by the Trade Federation has commenced. You know, I never trusted Nemoidians; slippery, disgustingly cheap things that they are. Last time I shook hands with one, I felt like washing my hands in sanitizer for a week solid, I was so sure I was contaminated just by touching it. If I had a choice between dealing with Nemoidians and Sullustans, I would take the Sullustans every time.

Now, I have received a photograph snuck by one of my assistants still trapped on that planet. Somehow, she managed to sneak into the palace and was able to secretly grab a photo of Queen Amidala as she walked the palace halls. Let me tell you, dear readers, the color is absolutely radiant on the Queen. But the style? I'm not really feeling it. It feels like the poor girl is drowning in all that fabric and makeup. But I would love to know who does her hair, I'm truly jealous of how perfect it looks. I can only wish my hair looked so lovely.

So what happened on Naboo? I admit, I'm stumped as well. I tried to speak with my mole within the Senate to see if he could find out anything, but he came back empty. Nobody's talking about it, let alone doing anything. Chancellor Valorum's office is not commenting, there still isn't a peep from the Jedi Temple, and it seems most senators are either bickering with one another or running around like monkey lizards with their tails cut off. Such a shame, it looks like that single photo of Queen Amidala will have to suffice until or unless things improve.

But I do not wish to end this column on a sad note. So I'll share happy news. There will be a new performance by the all-Sullustan opera company that recently set up shop here on Coruscant, and they have invited Yours Truly to be among the first to see this new work. It's said to be loosely based on a folktale about the origins of the Sullustan people, and supposedly it's a real tear jerker. I'll report all the details in my next column. Until then, ta-ta, readers!

24. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    SabyneAmberle - your fashion column is terrifically chatty. The tone of the reporter is perfect! =D=

Viridian-Maiden likes this.
  25. TheGalacticCorrespondent

Feb 2, 2015
    (Reserved for prompt 3 entries sent beyond the deadline)