main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT The Galactic Empire

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Jedi Master Rhys, Dec 4, 2016.

1. Jedi Master Rhys

Jedi Master Rhys Jedi Youngling

Sep 9, 2016
    Hi everyone just a few questions what I have been wondering about.

1) what regiments are there in the Galatic empire e.g. Imperial Navy?

2)What is the ranks of these regiments?

3) What is the size of the Galatic Empire man power?

2. Lt. Hija

Lt. Hija Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2015
    Since you posted your thread in the CT section and since I don't hold EU conjecture in high esteem, here's my reply:

1) Throughout the entire OT films not even once had it been mentioned that there is a difference between "Imperial Navy" or "Imperial Army", they are just the "Imperial Forces".
    The Imperial Starfleet is an analogy to England's old Royal Navy. The Royal Navy's infantry troops were the Royal Marines, which in the Star Wars Universe appear to be the stormtroopers.

2) I don't think I understand the question

3) Difficult to answer. We only got a vague idea of the size of the Imperial Starfleet, i.e. less than a thousand ships, according to Solo's statement in ANH:

HAN The entire [Imperial] starfleet couldn't destroy the whole planet. It'd take a 1,000 ships with more fire power than I've...(ever seen)

3. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    If the Imperial Starfleet has very few Super Star Destroyers (the Executor-class and its immediate predecessors), which are vastly more powerful than the Imperial-class, then Han can be thinking of 1000 of the most heavily armed ships in the fleet, rather than thinking of the fleet as a whole.

In the context of millions of worlds - one would expect each world to have at least a few of its own "garrison troops" quite apart from those carried by the fleet's warships. Thus, the number of soldiers in the Empire can be vastly higher than the number carryable by the fleet.

4. Jedi Master Rhys

Sep 9, 2016
    For Question 2 throughout the entire Galactic empire what are the ranks. Say you start off at the bottom what ranks do you have to get through, to be at the top? Or in the Galatic Empire's case answering only to Palps and Vader.

5. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    In the political system it probably runs:

Mayor of city
    Governor of planet
    Moff of sector
    Grand Moff of oversector
    Palpatine

Anakin.Skywalker likes this.
  6. Jedi Master Rhys

Sep 9, 2016
    Okay thank you so much this has always been something which has alway annoyed me, glad to have an asnwer.

7. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    There may be some extra bits - Senator, Grand Vizier, etc. Still, I'd put the above list as the core of the political hierarchy - the people who "rule", rather than the people who "represent".

A Senator for a sector represents that sector, rather than ruling it.

Jedi Master Rhys likes this.
  8. Bob the X-Winger

Bob the X-Winger Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 8, 2016
    Off the top of my head. Very very big as of ANH. I know an educated guess but come on the Galaxy is a big place. Very difficult to get into specifics when you have such a massive military force. In terms of people size the Empire has billions of personnel. The Imperial Navy having thousands of thousands of star destroyers. Those ships contained Walkers which allow them to move from planet to planet putting down insurrections across the Galaxy. The Rebels were fairly remote and most seem to be the unsuspecting victims of the Empires expansionism designs. The Empire did grow out of the old Republic however I also saw it as the Clone Wars basically smashing the old order and what would become the Rebel Alliance was a hodge podge of different worlds have little or zero in common. The Empire can easily expand by annexing these worlds and digesting them into the military economy they have. The lucky few would be worlds like Bespin that manage to obtain neutrality in a conflict that has thus far destroyed hundreds of planets.

Iron_lord likes this.
  9. Lt. Hija

Dec 8, 2015
    Bob the X-Winger wrote

The Imperial Navy having thousands of thousands of star destroyers.

...yet less than a hundred showed up at the Battle of Endor.

PaulWrightyThen likes this.
  10. Keycube

Keycube Jedi Master star 2

Jan 19, 2009
    Yeah; I don't like to buy into major extremes when it comes to numbers (though, I realize even a handful of Star Destroyers is pretty extreme...), simply because of the economics involved. Sure, the SW galaxy is huge, but non-renewable resources are still non-renewable resources, regardless of time and/or place.

With hyperspace technology, it seems unnecessary for a fleet to have to be extraordinarily large in respect to the number of systems governed. You can probably cover a lot of ground with a single SD and its deployable vehicles in terms of recon capabilities. SDs can be shuffled back and forth between systems relatively quickly as opposed to having oodles of them parked around every moon/planet.

Of course, it takes surplus energy to do that, so I imagine the practical number of vessels could be determined pretty easily by some serious egghead. :) The last SW galaxy map I saw looked like it would take something in the low 100's (at most) to have a pretty serious garrison upon the galaxy (especially considering what we assume are oppressive starship/weapons manufacturing limitations).

I mean, there have to be some holes within the Empire, eh? With the Incom defections known by the Empire, either complacency or lack of necessary resources (or both) have to be a reason the Rebel Alliance was able to fly under the radar (no pun intended) with new fighters.

As always, IMHO.

PaulWrightyThen and Lt. Hija like this.
  11. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    Because the rest of them were needed to garrison other key worlds. Even with as vast a fleet as the Empire had, you don't move all your ships to one location. That's just asking for disaster, leaving those worlds undefended.

Iron_lord and Bob the X-Winger like this.
  12. Lt. Hija

Dec 8, 2015
    Keycube wrote

With hyperspace technology, it seems unnecessary for a fleet to have to be extraordinarily large in respect to the number of systems governed. You can probably cover a lot of ground with a single SD and its deployable vehicles in terms of recon capabilities. SDs can be shuffled back and forth between systems relatively quickly as opposed to having oodles of them parked around every moon/planet.

Add to this that the Death Star was intended to keep the local systems in line, not the Imperial Starfleet.

Since it is a "civil war" I had always been under the impression that the Imperial Starfleet / Imperial Forces was merely some kind of police force or national guard that would be called upon if a local Imperial system required assistance and "local bulk cruisers" couldn't handle the job anymore.

What we ultimately saw in the OT was a proxy war fought between the Rebel and the Imperial Forces, so I can perfectly live with Han Solo's statement regarding the size of the Imperial Starfleet.

PaulWrightyThen likes this.
  13. Bob the X-Winger

Jan 8, 2016
    Lt. Hija Wellington did not use every ship in the royal navy to fight Napoleon at the battle of Trafalgar nor did King Philip send every single ship he had in the Armada to invade Spain. A certain number was sent for a specific job namely to finish off the Rebel Alliance once and for all.

14. Lt. Hija

Dec 8, 2015
    Bob the X-Winger

I'm not aware that Field Marshal Arthur Wellesley had anything to do with the Battle of Trafalgar, that was Admiral Lord Horatio Nelson of the Royal Navy, fighting the French fleet of Villeneuve and the Spanish one of Gravina.

And I wasn't suggesting that the entire Imperial Starfleet participated at the Battle of Endor. Apparently, the Empire had to maintain the illusion that the Imperial Starfleet was looking for the Rebel fleet elsewhere (certainly the Rebel had spies), so I'd speculate that the Empire only withdrew the amount of ships for the Battle of Endor that wouldn't have looked suspicious.

15. DARTHLINK

DARTHLINK Force Ghost star 4

Feb 24, 2005
    OK, if you're talking about the same Armada I'm thinking of... you've got the historical fact wrong: He was trying to invade BRITAIN, not Spain (his own homeland.) Just a historical nit-pick. :p :D

16. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    And the newcanon figure of 25,000+ Imperial class is compatible - if we assume that Han is simply thinking that 1000 SSDs couldn't destroy a whole planet, and not thinking that there's only 1000 warships of any kind in the Fleet.

17. Lt. Hija

Dec 8, 2015
    I'll never be able to figure how that 25,000+ Star Destroyer figure could possibly be compatible with the statement of an experienced Star Wars character who constantly has entanglements with the Imperial Starfleet.

According to that EU figure, that's what he supposedly said:

HAN The [25,000 Star Destroyers] couldn't destroy the whole planet. It'd take a 1,000 ships with more fire power than I've...(ever seen)

8-}

18. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    More "The (entire fleet) couldn't destroy the whole planet. It'd take 1000 ships all with more firepower than I've ..."

In the real world, there's navies already with close on 1000 ships. Star Wars universe has a vastly larger population, one can surmise - it makes sense that their fleets would be larger than real fleets.

19. Lt. Hija

Dec 8, 2015
    Since George Lucas suggested it through the character of Han Solo and then illustrated it in ROJ, it makes more sense to me that the Imperial Starfleet is much smaller and rather comparable to a police force or national guard beause the Imperial member worlds are responsible to ensure the will of the Empire locally, and with the ships and vehicles at their disposal - but obviously that possibility never crossed the mind of the EU contributor who came up with this "25,000 Star Destroyers" figure.

It's a "civil war" and I'm not aware of any external threat to the Galactic Empire or a known desire to conquer new worlds outside the Star Wars Galaxy that would justify the construction of that many ships just to be at the Emperor's disposal. In any world, such a large fleet would consume a substantial amount of money but ultimately the question remains "For what purpose"?

And why would you need any Death Star unless there was a considerable threat that the Imperial member worlds would use their ships and vehicles and defect to the Alliance?

20. Bob the X-Winger

Jan 8, 2016
    Lt. Hija your correct about Nelson. Apologies for my historical inaccuracy. Not too familiar with naval history but as to my point to the size of the fleet i'm not aware of any number that was provided in the film that would indicate the size of the fleet only that it was large enough to keep them contained in the star system. Had they escaped at that point it would have turned into a Dunkirk with most of the Rebel squadrons getting picked off by the Star Destroyers.

21. Bob the X-Winger

Jan 8, 2016
    DARTHLINK once again correction of error, I meant to say Britain instead of Spain but thanks for your correction. Really getting things mixed up on this forum. :oops:

22. Lt. Hija

Dec 8, 2015
    Bob the X-Winger wrote

I'm not aware of any number that was provided in the film that would indicate the size of the fleet only that it was large enough to keep them contained in the star system. Had they escaped at that point it would have turned into a Dunkirk with most of the Rebel squadrons getting picked off by the Star Destroyers.

The visual count based on on the onscreen evidence suggests approximately 30 Star Destroyers (+ 1 SSD) but I recently posted somewhere here that the amount of surviving ships seen over Endor probably indicates a larger number (considering that Ackbar wanted to avoid a direct confrontation, being aware that they were outgunned by the Imperial Star Destroyers).

Yet, there is a big headscratcher remaining. Obviously, the Imperial Star Destroyers present at the Battle of Endor were enough to discourage the Alliance fleet from escaping, because of Imperial and superior firepower. Yet, the Alliance fleet went in for the confrontation (while the Death Star security shield was still up) but nevertheless emerged from that encounter with approx. 30 capital ships visually intact. [face_thinking]