main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Galactic Enquirer Newsletter

Discussion in 'Archive: Milwaukee, WI' started by Skywalker1138, Jun 30, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Skywalker1138

Skywalker1138 Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 7, 2002
    TwistyMaeSkywalker (Editor) and I (Assistant) are really excited about this newsletter and eager to get it together. This is an early newsletter thread to get the ball rolling. Let us know if you're interested to submit something, and what it is, so that we know how much info we're working with and what we can do with it. There is nothing formal determined yet as to how we're going about it--again, this is an early thread to gather information. PR!

May The Force Be With You!

TwistyMaeSkywalker & Skywalker1138

2. TwistyMaeSkywalker

TwistyMaeSkywalker Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 3, 2000
    I'm pushing this up with a little side note.

When we find out how much it's going to cost us to publish the newsletter, how many of you would also like a web-based version, or e-mail? Just for comparasions sake and all. We'll still keep the paper form, but we can put a web-based issue on the site for new members to look at and see what's going on.

3. bwing53

bwing53 Jedi Master star 3

May 7, 2002
    I'd like to see an e-mail version, too, but that seems like it would be a lot of work. I would suggest starting with one format or the other--you don't want to burn yourself out!

4. Rick_Sith

Rick_Sith Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 2, 2002
    Actually any version would be the same amount of work. The only differences would be costs.

If emailed out, a PDF attachment would probably be best. Most documents can be saved as PDF these days. And most people can read PDF. If not they can download the reader for free from Adobe.
    If you try to put the newsletter in the actual email itself, formatting will cause more work for you.

If you do the website version, all you have to do is email out the link to those who wish to subscribe to the newsletter.

Just a few opinions, based on what I've seen other places. :)

5. cruznseal2

cruznseal2 Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 19, 2001
    I would love to help out with anything and everything. i'd also like to get some kind of fan zine going.

maybe we should have some kind of meetin gover lunch somewhere and get some solid ideas down on papper

-mike

6. Bishop76

Bishop76 Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 1, 2002
    I'd probably be interested in submitting something for the newsletter. More than likely somthing that allows me to ram my (generally unpopular) opinion down other people's throats.

Speaking of which, am I the only one who thought Minority Report was mediocre at best?

Jeff

7. Sebulba-X

Sebulba-X •X C2 C3 MW RSA• star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 11, 2000
    Not only would I like to be included in the mailing list, but I'd be happy to contribute any sort of relevent FF Admin types of news/info upon request. :)

8. Idaara

Idaara Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 29, 2002
    I think going with a .pdf will work for most, and those that don't have that capability can always be sent a paper newsletter. This way, there is no added expense for paper, and depending on how much web space we have for our site, the newsletters could be posted there.

Just my 2 credits worth. :)

9. TheWampas1138

TheWampas1138 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 2, 2002
    Jeff-

Did Tracey by any chance shove her lightsaber in your ear and then hit the blend button? You didn't like Spiderman or Minority Report...besides Star Wars, what did you like??

She-wampa

(I'm just kidding it sounds harsher than I meant) =)

10. TwistyMaeSkywalker

Nov 3, 2000
    I'm thinking a meeting will be a great idea. How does Saturday, July 20th sound for starts? Anyone? (I'm just throwing a date up into the air right now, nothing permanent)

11. BYOB_Kenobi

BYOB_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 7, 2000
    Can I come?

12. Bishop76

Bishop76 Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 1, 2002
    July 20th sounds good to me.

And I didn't hate Spiderman or Minority Report, I just don't think they deserve the massive praise they recieve. Spiderman because it was sadly predictable, and Minority Report because it should have ended 45 minutes before it did. I really would have liked it had they not added that extra 45 minutes on from what I really thought to be the climax of the movie.

Jeff

13. solo414

solo414 Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 28, 2002
    I'd be there, Twisty, but it's my 21st b-day and I have a family picnic that day and plan on some LONG partying into the wee hours of the AM. I'd love to help out though, if you need it!

14. SySnootles

SySnootles Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 13, 2002
    The 20th works for me. Is there a general agenda for this gathering?

15. jedihexer

jedihexer Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 17, 2002
    Well here is my first official thread response as your new leader...HaHaHa!

I think a meeting of those people who would like to help out would be great!

There should be more structure though...those writing a story, those a poem, illo's, and of course who will help print it. Yes the woderful world of zine publishing!

That's what this really is. Anything over 15-29 pages pretty much makes it a zine.
    Maybe we will start a trend among other fanforce groups! Lets hope so.

I am willing to contribute art, and help with layout!

Now...ideas for a name. This could get very interesting!

I know- The Wookie Daily News- (Just Kidding) but lets start thinking of a title.

16. TwistyMaeSkywalker

Nov 3, 2000
    Yes, Tom, you can come. And Jenni and I will probably come up with some sort of agenda for this meeting, first of all being a name for the darn thing! ;)

If anyone wants to take a particular area (fan art, stories, etc) speak up now or at the meeting so we can have a general idea of what we're dealing with.

17. Rick_Sith

May 2, 2002
    A name? Hmmm, that could be fun to think of.

How about: "The Bowcaster" ???

Anyone else have an idea?

18. jedisister

jedisister Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 1, 2001
    That's kinda cool, Rick Sith! As VP of this organization, I have to say, that is a good name! I like it! But, that is just my opinion regardless of what I am in this organization. ;)

19. TwistyMaeSkywalker

Nov 3, 2000
    How about The Milwookie Press? Or Wookie Tracks, in the spirit of the old Official newsletters?

And is anyone else intensely amused at the combination of Eric's icon and signature? :D

20. Mauler_II

Mauler_II Jedi Master star 3

Mar 13, 2002
    I would like to contribute as well. Let me know what I can do.

Names:

The Tatooine Sun(s)
    The Galactic Enquirer
    Nerf Hearding Today
    The First Marker
    The Bothon Beat

21. Bujo

Bujo Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 18, 2002
    If needed, I'd like to contribute to the Newsletter. Maybe some FanFic or else a "book" section of some sort

22. bwing53

bwing53 Jedi Master star 3

May 7, 2002
    How 'bout these:

--The Milwookie Den
    --The Milwookie Dispatch

23. BYOB_Kenobi

BYOB_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 7, 2000
    Just don't forget the second E.

24. Rick_Sith

May 2, 2002
    Yes, the second "e" is important. :)

How about "Milwookiee Droppings"
    Just kidding. :)

I could do a little fan fic writing if it's needed. It sounds like we won't be lacking material right off the bat though. But if you need some filler, just let me know. :)

25. Skywalker1138

Skywalker1138 Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 7, 2002
    Bishop76 & Subulba-X, what are you interested to contribute?

I've been associated with many fanzines before, and it's unfortunate but true that it does really matter on how much the fans are willing to spend in the end, which will determine how thick and how colorful our end product is. We can make something as cool as Journal of the Whills (and indeed make a thick little magazine) but we should probably start with a newsletter and maybe set our sites on developing a goal to do something bigger.

Since Twisty's hosting a meeting, we can discuss this more in depth when all interested get together.

MTFBWY!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.