main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

SWRPF Archive The Galactic Senate RPG - [August] *In Session*

Discussion in 'Star Wars Role Playing Archive' started by Imperial_Hammer , Jan 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ktala

Ktala Force Ghost star 6

Sep 7, 2002
    Nava Kree
    Senate Chamber

"Im sorry. From what my assistant told me, Senator Vedis decided that he could do more good elsewhere. I'm sorry I couldn't be of any more assistance."

Torco looked down at Nava. "Thank you Senator Kree. I am both glad and saddened to here this. He was a good friend of mine." Nava frowned. He made him sound as if he was dead. One ear dipped gently.

Torco stood up to his full height. "I must go now, Thank you for taking the time to speak with me. I hope our two planets may conduct business together someday." Torco bowed slightly, then turned and left.

Nava watched him go. She then looked towards Shawn. "Strange man. So willing to take first words, about so called 'friend' of his." Nava shook her head. "Come, we go to office. Must work there is to do. We go eat afterwards."

Nava slowly turned away, and headed for her office.

TAG:Anyone

2. Imperial_Hammer

Imperial_Hammer Manager Emeritus: RPFs star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 25, 2004
    GM's OOC: Votes include my own as Zaller.

[b]IC: The Senate[/b]
    [i]Location: Coruscant[/i]

Slowly the clocked ticked down, as the voting period moved to a close. The floating repulsor-screen looked as follows:

[color=blue][b][u]Senate Voting Session Closed[/u][/b][/color]
    [b]Resolution: S.R. #10 - The Nuclear Fuel Control Act[/b]

[color=green][b]Yays: 1[/b][/color]
    [color=red][b]Nays: 3[/b][/color]
    [color=yellow][b]Abstains: 0[/b][/color]

[color=red][b]*QUORUM NOT ACHIEVED - VOTE FAILS*[/b][/color]

[b]TIME REMAINING: 00 hrs: 01 mins[/b]

Then finally the minute elapsed and the voting closed. There were not enough people in the chamber to even warrant much chatter. The silence present in such a large hall quashed the shuffling of papers as people exited. The failed bill did not make the news.

[hr]
    [hr]
    Day passed to Night and Night passed into Day again.

The second day of legislation for the period arrived. The crowds were light, though the staff attending the Senate Hall were hopeful that more Senators would show to vote for the next bill.

With little Senators around, time raced towards action, and soon it was upon them.

An electronic chime rang, signaling that the next debating period was ready. The eyes of the what Senators were present drifted back to the Deputy in the center.

[b]Hear ye, Hear ye! The floor is now open for debate on Senate Resolution #11, the Holonet Censure Board Creation Bill. I hereby yield the floor to the Majority Leader and to the first Senator to speak on the Bill.[/b]

The man stepped back and the Majority Leader assumed his position. The empty podium begged to be taken.

[hr]
    For the reference of the Senators, the briefing on the bill was present in their daily docket.

[b][u]Senate Resolution #11[/u][/b]

[b]Bill Title: Holonet Censure Board Creation Bill[/b]

[b]Author:[/b] GM CREATED BILL

[b]Contents:[/b] As of right now, there exists no mechanism to enforce adult content as it is aired on the Holonet. Generally, entertainment with extensive sexuality, violence, or language are shown in the late night-time hours, locally. However, it has been noted by New Republic Intelligence in a recent report that more and more adult programing are being shown earlier and earlier. A number of local and unorganized parent groups throughout the galaxy worry that their young are growing up too fast. This bill would create a government agency to make sure adult programing is limited to broadcasting past 22:00 local time, and would allow them to impose fines on networks that do not comply.

[b]Funding:[/b] Funding would be contained to the agency start costs, and would be drawn from the budget.

[b]Implementation:[/b] Normal Means through New Republic Intelligence's bureaucracy.

[color=darkblue][b]Intelligence:[/b] All above elements of the bill are attested to be true. The start up cost for the Holonet Censure Board is estimated at less than 2 million dollars annually. This bill has the support of various religious and parenting groups, but has earned the ire of free-speech and secularist groups. There is no prevailing interest one-way-or-another within the government. The bill has a small margin of galactic support, with 60% in agreement and 40% opposed.[/color]

3. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    IC: Senator Chaygte, CXC Medical Centre.

The senator looked dubiously at the information coming out of her datapad regarding today?s session in the Senate.

?Holonet Censure Board Creation Bill?? She stared in disbelief a the small rectangular screen. ?You have got to be fragging kidding me.?

Generally, entertainment with extensive sexuality, violence, or language are shown in the late night-time hours, locally. However, it has been noted by New Republic Intelligence in a recent report that more and more adult programing are being shown earlier and earlier.

The service must have come on some since her day, she considered with raised eyebrows, considering it had only been used by the higher echelons of the Imperial military back then.

She sighed. Did Coachelle really expect her to represent them on the galactic stage for this kind of dross?

She could walk the hundred metres to the hospital?s VIP holo-suite and tell the House that this Bill was not worth the effort of talking it out, and should be deep sixed immediately.
    Personally, she was certain another senator would step up and say that before she had even gotten halfway.
    Therefore, she had no particular incentive to make the trip.

She counted off seconds in her mind, waiting for one of her colleagues to make the stand.

Tag: Coruscant

4. Senator_Varanii

Senator_Varanii Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 13, 2008
    IC: Senator VaraniiLocation: Senate Floor
    Coruscant

Varanii rose and came to the podium, he straightened his uniform coat as he cleared his throat

((Note Rendili accent Russian/Eastern European))

"Honorable Senators and Representatives of the Republic, I speak to you know as both a Senator and as a Husband, father, and grandfather."

He looked about the room with a slow glance

"The youth of today have many issues, uncertainties, few of us had, or possibly did, it is not my place to know or to pry into individual histories of all those present, violence,fornication, drugs, and other mature materials...these a struggles in experiences one will endure or least become knowledgible of when one grows to maturity through ones own life experiences, it is not then necessary for media venues to broadcast such subject matter for the youth to see. Such could desensitize them, or present worse yet, a romanticized glorified ideal for these base behaviors and activities."

Varanii stops for a moment to gauge reactions.

"I am no moral crusader, I have lived a rich full life, and experienced a great deal. I lived life...I didnt watch it on a screen, if we allow children to see mature acts being played out as drama or comedy, they will perhaps, as children are want to do, they will act them out themselves, or they will idealize certain characters and or characteristics, and even though we would hope they would emulate the heroes and positive influences they see, we all know and have known children whom love to play the villain...what if exposed to mature programming and from what I have seen, true to form villains as real as life makes them, with cruelties and vices laid bare for the audiences, would you want your children or the children whom they consort with emulating those traits?"

He pauses again clearing his throat, a hand on the podium, the other arm behind his back in a noble stance.

"take that thought with you gentlebeings when you vote on this measure, the Galaxy has enough evil in it without it being romanticized by certain media outlets for the future generations to see, get the wrong end, and doing great damage to themselves and others."

"Thank You All"

He finishes, stepping back and away from the podium, then to his delegations seats.

TAG:Everyone and Anyone

5. Moncalmerc007

Moncalmerc007 Jedi Youngling

Aug 18, 2008
  6. Imperial_Hammer

Sep 25, 2004
    GM's OOC: Discussion Period on SR 11 coming to a close tomorrow. Get your points in! :)

-I_H

7. Senator_Varanii

Aug 13, 2008
    IC:Senator Varanii

After his speech, Varanii goes to his panel and slides in his card, pressing the YAYbutton, he sits back with a satisfied smile

TAG: Everyone

8. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    IC: Senator Chaygte, CXC Medical Center.

Within moments of Chaygte stepping into the holoroom on Coachelle, her image was displayed into the Galactic Senate on Coruscant.

?On behalf of the sovereign system of Coachelle, I welcome the Rendili representative to the Senate.
    His ability to stand up and make such an impassioned speech about, what, to me at least, is so much unprocessed guano, shows he has found his vocation in life.

Now me, I cannot believe this was allowed to reach the highest level in galactic politics as a motion for discussion, and propose a disciplinary motion against the Bill?s sponsor for wasting the Senate?s time.
    ?

The hologram glared at the hundreds of pods dotted around the side of the great chamber.

In the Ryloth pod, behind the twi'lek senators for the world that supplied the New Republic with the ryll kor healing reagent, the pale white SGIS security agent, Mitch Nifesta, snickered.
    Disguised as a political aide, he was on site to help protect that august body from any future terrorist threats. At least in the short term.

A loud PING from the vaulted ceiling had him looking up to see the docked repulsor-screen register a 1 for the YAYS.

Mitch did not have to be a Force Sensitive to know that the only person with a good word to say for the Holonet Censure bill would be who responsible for the faux pas.

His lekku brain tails stiffening with his displeasure, Nifesta shook his head at the Rendili? pod: At least wait for the Voting Period to start, Genius. He thought at the man. And you?re the ?Great New Hope? for Rendili Stardrive, huh?

Tag: Varanii, anyone

9. Senator_Varanii

Aug 13, 2008
    IC: Senator Varanii

The Senator stands again to respond.

"Unprocessed Guano, I am no moralist but I see where the Senator from Cochelle sits when the on moral imperatives and the innocence of children, but no matter, it may not be sweeping or may not be epic, but all positive change is epic, wether it gets your name in the holos or not, sometimes one does not have to have to be defending a commercial interest or saving a million worlds for a bill "worth" being voted upon, again...I guess some do not agree."

TAG: Everyone

10. Imperial_Hammer

Sep 25, 2004
    IC: The Senate

From within the Chamber, a low-toned gong chimed. If any of the new Senators were confused as to its meaning, inside their handbook of Senate protocol, present at each podium, they would find: (New Text As Per E.R. #1)

Voting On Bills: After the set amount of time has passed on the discussion of a resolution, a single gong chimes to mark the end of debate. Afterwards, a repulsorscreen lowers into the center of the chamber, on which the results for the vote will be displayed. Each seating area has a voting station present on it. Senators are to insert their ID card into the slot until the green light above the slot turns on. This means the station is active. Senators are then allowed to press three buttons. The red button corresponds to voting nay on the bill. The green button corresponds to voting yay on the bill. The yellow button corresponds to a neutral vote of abstain. Every Senator?s vote shall be catalogued within the Congressional Record. All amendments will be voted on in the same manner as Senate Resolutions. Successful amendments shall only be passed should the original piece of legislation be passed.?

Then, as the packet said, a floating four-sided repulsor screen floated down into the middle of the chamber and began to rotate so that all the Senators could see it. On it was the following words:

Senate Voting Session Initiated
    Resolution: S.R. #11 - The Holonet Censure Board Creation Bill

Yays: 0
    Nays: 0
    Abstains: 0

And with that, the system was ready to accept input.

TAG: ALL

[color=red][b]GM?s Overture:[/b][/color] Same as always. This period will end the day in-game. After voting, Senators can spend the rest of their day doing whatever they want. Meetings, Dinners, Smoozing, Whatever. Out of game, this period will last until the end of this upcoming weekend, Sunday, Sept. 7th. After the voting period is over, the next day will begin and the next resolution will be placed on the floor. As always, any questions can be PMed to me.

Thanks!
    -I_H

11. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    IC: Senators Chaygte and Donnoc, CXC Medical Centre.

Seeing the voting screen module descend from the chamber roof and cancel out the Rendili senator?s ill-timed nomination, Chaygte started going through her multi-layer of skirts, looking for her own card.

Probably looked quite clumsy to anyone watching her several metre high holographic image, but to step out of the recorder now would be to lose face, she felt.

The cylinder she was in vibrated alarmingly as something outside thumped into it from the outside.

Sighing, she poked her head outside. Donnoc was standingt there in the thin open-backed smock so beloved of medical establishments the galaxy over.
    ?Should you be out of bed,? she asked off her fellow senator, noting the tubes and stuff hanging off him, ?and more to the point, should you be pushing your own bed around??

?It is on repulsorlifts.? The bipedal, two metre rabbit pointed out in his own defense, but wilted under her no-nonsense glare.

?Stay there.? She told him, pointing her little plastic card at him, then disappeared back inside the VIP holo-projector, slipping the card into the relevant slot, and sending an ABSTAIN vote winging its way back to Coruscant.

?Right then, Starshine. Let?s get you back to bed and consult a doctor.?

Tag: anyone in the chamber back in the Galactic Senate on Coruscant

12. Senator_Varanii

Aug 13, 2008
    IC: Varanii

Varanii made his gesture with the earlier vote, they all knew he had done it, and a few would know the reason why.

He took out his card and slid it in pressing the YAY button with a small smile

Tag all others

13. Mister_Master

Mister_Master Jedi Master star 6

Oct 17, 2007
    IC: Senator Bastra

Torco watched the senate discuss the bill from the couch in his apartment. He was unable to attend because of food poisoning. He had eaten a new alien dish the night before that didn't agree with his stomach.

So that he wouldn't miss the debate, he had a data screen set up for him to view the senate from. He watched as the senate came to a close, and the voting period began. Torco slid his card into the slot. After a coughing spell, and emptying his stomach into a near by bucket, he hit the green button. Signaling a YAY vote.

TAG: everyones

14. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    IC: Agent Mitch Nifesta, Galactic Senate.

The twi?lek security operative stole out of the Ryloth pod to give the senators opportunity to do their votes in confidence, and also to check the lobby and the vehicle park to ensure it was safe for them and their aides, to depart for the evening.

He nodded at Blue Guard, standing with their force pikes and in their rich blue robes, and could not think of anything more boring.
    Actually, tell a lie; he could. Good imagination, our Mitch.

He didn?t like that there were so many senators absent from the Senate so soon after the attacks, as well as the Blue Guard lieutenant who had worked the doors, eg. worked at the doors; not worked them.
    The being was a security officer, after all, not a doorman.

Standing on the great steps outside, gazing down at the small knot of holo-journalists who gave a frag about the outcome of the Censure Bill, and watching political beings wander out and across to their parked limousines and diplomatic shuttles, Mitch continued to pick over the ?doorman? title.

That?s a job that does what it says on the tin, he thought, casually keeping an eye on a diplomatic craft as it ascended gently into the sky, before going on to wonder if Kel Dor made good doormen.

Tag: anyone who wants to say hello to the apparent twi?lek aide on the steps

15. Senator_Varanii

Aug 13, 2008
    IC: Varanii
    Senate Chambers, Coruscant

After voting, Varanii tabs his assistant and his chauffuer, orders for dinner, something heavy with plentiful portions, perhaps some guests as well, and to invite some of the local elite for an impromptu, short notice gathering. He needed it.

He strolled with a confident smile with his aides and advisors, picking up his small but elite security detail as they cleared the main chamber and headed out towards the reporters and onlookers.

TAG: Anyone

16. Moncalmerc007

Aug 18, 2008
    Hammer Approved

About:
    Name:Calix Anstaine
    Species: Human
    Appearance: Banking Magnate, expensive suits, Silvering Hair.
    Personality: Fiery, but dignified, elegant but strong. Opportunist, Career Bureaucrat
    Schooling: University of Coruscant, Doctorate in Economics, Military Training Republic Judicial Forces (Clone Wars).
    Bio: Born to minor Noble family in New Esckrow, typical elementary and secondary education, excelled in Economics and mathematics, typical of financial families. Joined Republic Defense Forces just before the Clone Wars but spent must his time in Orbit of Aargau, after 10 years of service he retired from service to serve the Bank of Aargau, he had continued his education throughout via proxy classes, these he excelled in and he was awarded a full Doctorate in Economics and made a member of he Board of the Bank of Aargau. Unmarried, no children. Career above all else. Pressed by collegues to represent Aargau in the Senate, acquiesced and one by a huge margin.

Politics: Conservative, Corporate Republican
    Representative For:Aargau
    Party: Conservative
    Personal Platform: Corporate Deregulation, Greater Economic Stability, Increased Trade, Expanded Military Forces, Decreased Taxation on Corporations.

17. Moncalmerc007

Aug 18, 2008
    IC: Senator Anstaine

After careful consideration to the speech senator Varanii composed, Senator Anstaine takes out his card and swipes through the YAY.

After this he smiles, gathers his advisors and security and sends a message via courier to senator Varanii that he will be joining him for dinner this evening...

18. Ktala

Ktala Force Ghost star 6

Sep 7, 2002
    Nava Kree
    Personal Quarters

Nava stared out the window of her quarters. The weather was bleh to her. Nothing to really speak of. She had taken some time off, after Pol's return.

She needed to clear her head. To her the senate had become something else now. None in the Senate had said anything during her 'issues'. The Senate had turned into a dull murmor of voices.... No passion. No voice. Even the violence that had happened eariler, had died away...to nothing but murmeos and rumors.

No other Senators had talked to her like he had, except for one other, and that one was also gone.

Nava looked out her window and sighed. Perhaps, it might be time to go home.

19. Imperial_Hammer

Sep 25, 2004
    GM's OOC: Hey alls. As you may have guessed, it looks like we've come to the end of the road for this game. Thanks for playing folks! You alls should be very proud of yourselves. You guys, together, have managed to show that this kind of game can be run successfully in the RPF. Bravo! Together we embarked on an experiment to see if a long ranging government game could work, and 12 resolutions, one rebuild, and a few RPF awards later, we figured out that it could! My thanks and my respect goes out to everyone who put effort into this game. My GMing does not work without you guys, and this game's successes are your own!

I thank you all most graciously once more. If anyone is interested, I'm allowing for a few days for players to wrap up their storylines. Then probably on Friday I will lock this bad boy up. So get your last posts in, and God Bless! :)

=D=

-I_H

20. Mister_Master

Mister_Master Jedi Master star 6

Oct 17, 2007
    IC: Senator Torco Bastra
    500 republica/senate/landing pad

Torco finished packing up his last suitcase. His senatorial term was up, and he was returning home. Tough he was happy to be returning home, he would miss this place. The debates, the long hours of sitting in session, the position of authority. OK, maybe there were somethings he wouldn't miss. Torco looked around the room one more time before leaving. He had called it home, now he was leaving it behind. Torco switched off the lights and left the room.

Outside the building a taxi was waiting for him with his luggage. He took one last look at the building, and got in. The Taxi stopped at the senate, and helped Torco remove his bags. "Thank you." Torco payed the man, and went inside. He had an young man take his stuff to his landing pad, and Torco made his way to his office. Alan was in the office cleaning it up. "Senator, I didn't expect to see you before you left." Alan said surprised.

"Not senator anymore, just Torco. And you thought I would leave without saying goodbye?" Torco walked over and put his hand on Alan's shoulder. "You have been a great friend to me, I couldn't ask for a better aid." Torco embrace Alan in a hug. "It has been an honor serving with you." Tears weld up in Torco, and Alan's eyes.

"The honor was mine, Sane- Torco." Alan, and Torco let go of each other, and Torco turned to leave.

"One more thing before I go. I have chosen you to replace me as Senator." Alan's astonishment showed on his face.

"You really think I'm ready?" Alan asked

"Of coarse I do. Or else I wouldn't give you this promotion." Torco answered.

"Thank you, I will do my best to fill your shoes."

"I don't know, Maybe you will do better. Good bye, Senator." With that Torco left the room. He made his way to the Landing pad where his ship was waiting. He walked up the ramp, and into the cockpit where he sat in the pilot seat. Through the view port he took one last look at the senate, and Blasted off into space. Homeward bound.

The End.

OOC: First I would like to thank IH for creating and hosting this RP. And I want to thank everyone who played along. It has been a pleasure, and an honor playing with you.

21. Ktala

Ktala Force Ghost star 6

Sep 7, 2002
    Nava Kree
    Personal Quarters

Nava stared out the windows, as Pol was finishing up tying up the last of their duties. They had finally been recalled back home. Nava mused to herself, as she looked out the window. Perhaps the Pod Races would start up once more. She had done her duty, and had voted as her people had wished. Time for another.

She had also made a few friends, and lost one. She wondered what the ex-Senator was doing now. Probably righting wrongs somewhere else in the galaxy, the only way he knew how.

Nava smiled slightly. It would be good to finally go home for awhile. Nava looked up. Shawn was still with her. At least until she got home. After that..well, that was for them to figure out later. Nava waved her ears slightly.

"Are we ready yet?" she asked, looking over curious. Pol came in, looking over a curious device. "Everything is set...Time to go."

With a nod, Nava turned and headed for the main door, looking over her quarters one last time. All her plants had already been sent back home. It looked so bare and lifeless in the room. Except for one plant. One she had purposely left behind.

For the next poor soul that took over this job.

With a grin, she turned back to look at Pol and Shawn.

"This time, you fly. We have lots to talk about, on way home. First, we say goodbye to other Senators."

As they headed out of the apartments, and towards their spacecraft, Nava gave her good-byes to many Senators, also working their way home for the break. It took a bit of time, but it was worth it. She might need to speak to these people again one day, might as well leave on good terms.

Finally, they made it to their ship.

"Time to head home. Off this planet of glass and plastisteel..." Muttered Nava as she happily held Pol's hand.

Yes, it would be good to be home again.

FINI

Thanks, Imperial_Hammer for a WONDERFUL game! Quite an experiment!

22. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    IC: Senator Rade Kell of Druckenwell

After much thought, and not a few drinks, Rade Kell, senator of the world of Druckenwell and all her inhabitants, came to the conclusion that it had been an interesting term. He had nearly reached his goals, but still fallen short at the end. Then was a lesson buried somewhere in there. Perhaps someday, he could continue with his plans, and achieve the market monopoly he so furiously sought. Until then, he would return to Druckenwell and his business, and maybe try his hand at running for reelection. His apartment had been cleared out, his secret hideaways and bolt holes carefully demolished, and any traces of illegal activity wiped clean.

Luggage packed and ready to go, he swiftly moved down to the levels to where his transportation from this place awaited. Sliding into the rear seat, the driver glanced back at him. "The spaceport, sir?" A small grin crossed the now former senator's face. "No, not just yet. I have a short visit to make, and a gift to deliver. Take me to the Hutt embassy, or nearest equivalent." Leaning back into his seat, he allowed a contented expression to rise to the surface of his face. While his goals may not have been entirely met, some good had come out of this, after all.

TAG: None.

Imperial_Hammer, thank you for running such a fascinating game. I regret that I did not have the time to truly dedicate myself to playing as I would have wished to, but it was a most enjoyable experience while it lasted. To those whose characters interacted with my own, it has been a great pleasure and an honor to roleplay alongside you.

23. Imperial_Hammer

Sep 25, 2004
    And so it ends!

Glad to hear from some players saying that they had fun. I do enjoy hearing it, and it makes me more enthusiastic to run further games.

This game is not my last. #11 will come one of these days, when I feel I can do it justice as GM. Haven't figured out what its going to be yet... still batting around a few ideas, including a Western, a Civilizations Game, and a Kingdom Hearts/Disney game. Feel free to PM me whenever, with game ideas or just to say hey!

Thank you again, and I will remember you all for my next game. I try to take good care of past players in my current games. :)

And with that, this game is locked!

-I_H

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.